Author Topic: Newscasters and Fashion  (Read 2762 times)

Offline annenet

• Lighthouse fanatic and avid climber
    • Sewingtechie blog
Newscasters and Fashion
« on: September 21, 2011, 02:14:37 PM »
I found this pretty weird this morning. I had ABC channel in Washington DC on when I was getting dressed and I guess I never paid attention to the women who anchor Good Morning Washington. One was wearing a plain t shirt and one a tank top. Is it just the hour or is that what newscasters are wearing these days?
Too many ideas, not enough time.

http://sewingtechie.blogspot.com/

Offline marie-louise

• Oakland, CA
Re: Newscasters and Fashion
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 03:22:44 PM »
I rarely watch the local news, but here in the SF Bay Area, several of our early morning women seem to favor a skin-tight cocktail dress look. They give the appearance that they've been up all night partying and didn't leave time to go home and change.

Offline Bunny

• La Sewist
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 08:31:33 PM »
Then there are the Barbies with their cleavage hanging out.  It so smacks of sexism and lacks the professional demeanor with which I would like to hear the dreaded news of the day.

Helen Thomas never had to worry about this trend in her day.

Bunny

Offline Em

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 08:45:42 PM »
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 11:34:17 PM by Em »

Offline Martha Domke

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 06:33:43 AM »
We have some wonderful newscasters here in Detroit.  They dress professionally, and the early morning woman has won "best dressed" newscaster recognition.  Although, I think all of Detroit's news people are dressed perfectly.  We have NBC and ABC for local/national news.  Some of our local people have gone on to bigger news jobs.  I am thinking of Anne Thompson on NBC national news.  Another very professional person.

Offline vtmartha

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 11:07:33 AM »
I mainly 'watch' CNN as it's my background entertainment those rare times when I'm sitting down.  What amuses me are the necklaces.   I swear they have a big box of them behind stage and each 'newscaster' grabs one as she heads out to camera.  To me, they are overly done and inappropriate.

Offline annenet

• Lighthouse fanatic and avid climber
    • Sewingtechie blog
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 11:51:40 AM »
The two ladies on there this morning were wearing sheath dresses - both of them. Better than the T and tank yesterday though! Maybe because they are on the AM show before Good Morning America but DC is not exactly small market!
Too many ideas, not enough time.

http://sewingtechie.blogspot.com/

Offline Bunnykins

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 08:43:00 PM »
*Prude alert*  I gave up on CNN when they started putting women in 4" heels and skirts so tight they curved around their hips and clung to their legs.  That and too much makeup, fluff and cleavage to go with the non-news news.  I've never forgiven them for trying to make Judy Woodruff dress like a bimbo. I like BBC World.  The women newscasters are all different shapes, sizes and colourings, all wearing suits or dresses and jackets, what used to be considered business clothes.  Some are fashion forward, all are well dressed.  And, yes, there's cleavage, but not the flung in your face kind.  Now, if only someone could get PBS to have Gwen Ifill's jackets custom made.  The ones she wears are lovely, but way too tight in the upper arms.  It can't be comfortable.  Here CBC dresses it's newscasters depending on their personalities; I think they choose their clothes and hair, not some studio dresser, and it shows, but they're all covered.  Not a spec of fluff, false eyelashes or cut down to there on CBC.  CTV is much the same.   Can you tell I watch the news, history channel and the Big Bang?  Mostly everything else DH likes, I knit through.

Offline Em

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 12:45:34 AM »
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 11:33:21 PM by Em »

Offline KathleenB

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 04:21:00 AM »
I watch local news only when visiting my mother, so I do appreciate the "bimbo" observations. I do watch ABC World News nearly every night, and Diane Sawyer dresses with modern and classy style without fail (IMHO).

Offline Sandra

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 02:04:28 PM »
I'll have to start watching the local news and see what the women are wearing. Hey, if they dress here the way they do in some other areas, maybe that explains why DH loves to watch all the local news!  :)
Sandra in Clarence NY (near Buffalo and Niagara Falls)
My blog: Making It With Help
And now I'm on Twitter @SandraCarden

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics