Author Topic: Embroidery on Canvas  (Read 301 times)

Offline Syndi

• Subscribed Member
Embroidery on Canvas
« on: June 24, 2018, 10:55:11 PM »
What size needle should I use to embroider on canvas?  I have a heavy canvas tote bag ....I've searched for the answer but there seems to be many answers, which left me confused.  Some same sharp - 75/11, some say 100/16....some say use a universal, some say use embroidery needle...some even say use a topstitch needle....
Could use your help here.....this is a customer bag, so I can't mess it up.
TIA

Offline Syndi

• Subscribed Member
Re: Embroidery on Canvas
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 07:51:01 PM »
I always like to share when I can here, so I thought I'd share a few tips from my experience- if anyone is attempting.
-I used the 75/11 and it worked nicely.
 -Also, I had tried embroidering on a tote before and had put the hoop on upside down, with the right side of the tote facing out, so it could slide more easily into the embroidery arm. (otherwise the piece that slides on was way down inside the bag).  Then I flipped the design in the software program. That being said, there was a lot of embroidery on the front of the bag and it was difficult to keep the back of the bag out of the way.

-After that, I learned (a tutorial online) how to turn the bag inside out and then hoop- WOW.....much easier- especially for this new bag that only left me 2 inches of room to embroider above a front pocket.
- Also, instead of trying to hoop the stabilizer and hoop (which can be difficult and keep centered), I used basting spray to stick the stabilizer on the inside of the bag.
Here is the new bag:
IMG_2046 by Thia Marie, on Flickr

Offline sdBev

• Subscribed Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 12:57:53 AM »
Nice job, Cindy.
sdBev

Offline Syndi

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 12:42:01 AM »
Thank you, Bev.  I've succumbed to doing the embroidery for my boat club for free on items they sell- my contribution towards the spending needs.
I know that it took me awhile to get this right and so I thought I'd share.  :)