Stitcher's Guild Reloaded

Advanced search  

News:

We have a new OPT-IN child board for the discussion of politics.  More information is available here: http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php?topic=682.0

Author Topic: Very long, flexible doll needles  (Read 688 times)

DragonLady

• Administrator
Very long, flexible doll needles
« on: June 19, 2018, 03:15:05 PM »

I've just learned Havel Inc has discontinued their 9" doll needle. :(

I know several companies make long needles in various lengths, but the Havel needle was the most flexible I ever found.

I know Dritz has long upholstery needles, but they're also fairly large diameter, and not very flexible.  Piecemakers has 7" needles, and I have some of them ordered, but I'd still like to find the longer length.

I've written to them to ask they reconsider, but in the meantime, does anyone know any other company that makes a similar product? 

To continue accessing all the great features of our forum, it is now necessary to purchase a subscription.  To do so, just open your profile, click the "actions" tab, then follow the prompts.  Important: untick the "recurring payments" box; as we're not set up with PayPal to allow automatic renewals.  If you should have any trouble, just email me: dl@artisanssquare.com

--------
Are you looking for the perfect buttons?  I just may have them in my Etsy shop!
https://www.etsy.com/shop/RoadsideAttractions

sewvt

• Paid Member
Re: Very long, flexible doll needles
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 07:40:47 PM »

Are upholstery needles too stiff?

DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 08:05:09 PM »

Are upholstery needles too stiff?

They can be.  Also, they usually have a larger diameter.

To continue accessing all the great features of our forum, it is now necessary to purchase a subscription.  To do so, just open your profile, click the "actions" tab, then follow the prompts.  Important: untick the "recurring payments" box; as we're not set up with PayPal to allow automatic renewals.  If you should have any trouble, just email me: dl@artisanssquare.com

--------

Garden Girl

• Paid Member
  • Middle California
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 08:18:45 PM »

So Julie, what all are you making with them? Inquiring minds and all that. Any photos of soft sculpture dolls you've made?

Are you out completely or just needing spares for when the time comes?

What is better about the more flexible ones for what you are doing?

I've got no real suggestions, aside from looking at bear making suppliers or checking soft sculpture supplies. I'll look and see what I've got but I think they're all out of the package and I know my longer ones are button tufters so not too flexible.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 08:21:10 PM by Garden Girl »

DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 05:30:55 AM »

So Julie, what all are you making with them? Inquiring minds and all that. Any photos of soft sculpture dolls you've made?

Are you out completely or just needing spares for when the time comes?

What is better about the more flexible ones for what you are doing?

I've got no real suggestions, aside from looking at bear making suppliers or checking soft sculpture supplies. I'll look and see what I've got but I think they're all out of the package and I know my longer ones are button tufters so not too flexible.

Oh....sorry.... I didn't mean to cause confusion.  I was thinking someone might know of another manufacturer because I carry them in my shop. 

--------

Meg

• Paid Member
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 01:57:56 PM »

DL, I am heading up to the Vermont Quilt Festival later today.  The show opens tomorrow - I'll try to remember to look for vendors who sell doll-making supplies and ask them on your behalf. 

DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 03:23:20 PM »

DL, I am heading up to the Vermont Quilt Festival later today.  The show opens tomorrow - I'll try to remember to look for vendors who sell doll-making supplies and ask them on your behalf.

You don't have to ask, Meg.  That can upset vendors who become afraid you plan to set up a booth next door & use their expertise to compete with them.

It's quite okay; I just thought someone here might know of a company that I do not.

No big deal.... If the demand remains high enough for these needles, someone will start making them.  US commerce deplores a vacuum. ;)

--------

sewvt

• Paid Member
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 06:15:38 PM »

Another thought:  I've seen long flexible beading needles like this.  I've never used them this long, so don't know if it would work for your purposes.

DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 07:14:38 PM »

Another thought:  I've seen long flexible beading needles like this.  I've never used them this long, so don't know if it would work for your purposes.

Yes; those might work.  Thank-you! :)

--------

LyndaC

• Paid Member
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 02:49:16 PM »

I know this is the wrong place to post this, but it appears I have been locked out.  I cannot see my normal posts any more, nor can I email the administrator directly now.

Pardon me for intruding, but I am hoping she sees this and can get me back in.

DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2018, 04:29:10 PM »

I know this is the wrong place to post this, but it appears I have been locked out.  I cannot see my normal posts any more, nor can I email the administrator directly now.

Pardon me for intruding, but I am hoping she sees this and can get me back in.

I see ya; I'm attempting to email you now.

--------

fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2018, 11:32:48 AM »

Lynda, I answered your PM this morning and sent it on to DL. Hopefully you'll be able to fully use the site soon.

Check your email and check your PMs here for responses from us.

Best wishes,
Kathryn
My blog: I Made This! at http://imadethis-asewingblog.blogspot.com/
Flickr Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72428033@N00/albums

2018 Dress a Month count:

Fabric Mart Fabrics Style Arc Sewing Patterns Put Your Ad Here
Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here