Stitcher's Guild Reloaded

Advanced search  

News:

If you have any trouble, or anything doesn't seem to be working properly, email DragonLady: dl@artisanssquare.com for assistance.

Author Topic: Pfaff Creative 4.5  (Read 527 times)

vtmartha

• Paid Member
Pfaff Creative 4.5
« on: May 25, 2018, 01:15:03 PM »

I’ve been meaning for years to replace my Viking Rose with something more up to date.  In the meantime, I purchased a Janome 300e embroidery machine, which was a step up from the Rose in embroidery capabilities but is now way out of date.  For quite awhile I thought I would replace the Rose with a Juki that did not embroidery but now I’m back to considering a more up to date combination machine.  I’m pretty sure I must like considering the options more than I need new equipment.

Yesterday, our local Craig’s List offered a machine that caught my attention.  I’d been following sewing machines there, looking for a table that might work with my Pfaff 30.  I rarely look at the machines themselves.  An ad appeared from someone in the next town over who wants to sell her Pfaff Creative 4.5.  She’s planning to replace it with a sewing only Pfaff Performance Icon and use her Husqvarna Epic for all her embroidery.  The Creative is three years old and has 64 hours on it.  It comes with the smaller embroidery unit with two hoops, 120 x 120 mm and  200 x 260 mm.  She claims it retails for 6K, which I think must be list price, and wants $3200 for it, which is probably also high.

The reviews I found on this machine seem good, except for the earliest production, which may have been fixed with updates.  I’m wondering if anyone here has thoughts on this ‘opportunity’ or suggestions about what I should be looking for instead?  Such as a Juki and more up to date Janome embroidery machine.  I’m not very good at finding new homes for older equipment.

Thanks for your help!

sewvt

• Paid Member
Re: Pfaff Creative 4.5
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 05:46:37 PM »

Martha, there's a pretty detailed review here, along with many other machine reviews, including the Rose that you have now.  Reading that might give you an idea of how much weight the reviewer gives various features, compared to your own experience on your machine.  Ebay sold listings are within range for prices.  This machine seems to be on Ebay as well, with the starting bid at 3200.  When machine fever strikes, you can talk yourself into or out of almost anything...   ;D  Looking is fun.  I usually have my eye out for irresistible sewing/knitting stuff and then have to talk myself out of bargains I really don't need!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 05:48:32 PM by sewvt »

vtmartha

• Paid Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 07:06:42 PM »

Thank you, sewvt, for your post!  I had read the Pfaff review (and comments) but had not thought to look for the Rose review.  Very interesting!  Since I would rarely, if ever, use many of the Pfaff’s features, maybe I should make better friends with the Rose.  It never occurred to me that I could stop and start the machine with buttons (except to embroider) so I will need to explore that feature.  I honestly can think of very little I’d like to be able to do that I can’t already.l

Edited - Well, I don’t think you can actually start and stop this machine with a button, not that that’s really high on my list of ‘must haves’.  I think this was a case of the reviewer not having access to the manual.  The start/ stop button works that way for embroideries but becomes the reverse button when sewing normally.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 11:26:15 AM by vtmartha »

angelsweb

• Paid Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 03:24:21 AM »

I've got a Pfaff Creative 4.5 and have really enjoyed it ... but I'm a longtime Pfaff fan. I probably still don't use all of its features, but I find it pretty easy to use. It sews quite well, and I finally have a machine that makes decent buttonholes. I use it for garment sewing as well as embroidery.

The price seems pretty good, compared to what I paid for mine new about 2 years ago.

Angelia

Fabric Mart Fabrics Style Arc Sewing Patterns Put Your Ad Here
Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here