Stitcher's Guild Reloaded

Advanced search  

News:

Using three or more URLs in one post may cause a "Forbidden" error.  To help prevent problems, try to remember to "copy" your post before you hit "preview" or "send" so if you get an error you can simply "paste" your words to try again.  Most posts do go through after a few tries.

Author Topic: Daily Time In the Sewing Room--20-30 mins a day-- 2  (Read 6154 times)

sewsy

• Paid Member
Re: Daily Time In the Sewing Room--20-30 mins a day-- 2
« Reply #140 on: June 30, 2018, 12:19:12 AM »

I ran out of thread in the middle of finishing up the drapes, so they'll have to wait a bit longer before getting done. Meanwhile, all those dresses I was supposed to do for youngests' birthday didn't get done....I gave her money instead.  ;D I did run across a rather nice medium weight linen that would look good as a jacket and pants or skirt for her, but I'm mulling over whether or not I should interface the entire jacket. And pants, for that matter.

Anyone made a linen jacket with/without interfacing before? I could use some tips. Also, what about the lining? Full? Partial? TIA!

sewsy

• Paid Member
« Reply #141 on: June 30, 2018, 12:54:38 AM »

I did a bit of clicking around and remembered a blogpost by Jeffery Diduch. He was travelling to Atlanta and made a linen jacket for the weather there. I think I'm going to do what he did with his jacket, it looks pretty good, no real "tailoring" and a partial lining to boot. Here's a link to the post:

http://tuttofattoamano.blogspot.com/search/label/soft%20tailoring

sdBev

• Paid Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #142 on: June 30, 2018, 01:33:03 PM »

Thanks for compliments.  I wanted something casual.  We are just not formal, living room folks.  I kept thinking Scandanavian but I think Mid-Century is better.  I like the stylized and simple lines with a little bit of color.  Prefer soft relaxing colors for the home. When we replace our chairs, dh gets a new one this year,  they will be blue same as the area rug.

Yes those windows are big.  I loved them but they do have downsides.  Plan to upgrade them next year. Have been replacing some widows every year as the budget permits. The new windows make a noticeable different the temperature comfort of a room, especially in the winter but they are expensive.  Expecting shock at that bill.
sdBev

Turquoise

• Paid Member
« Reply #143 on: June 30, 2018, 10:03:32 PM »

Anyone made a linen jacket with/without interfacing before? I could use some tips. Also, what about the lining? Full? Partial? TIA!

I had an unlined linen RTW jacket that was just interfaced at the collar and facing and it was lovely to wear in the heat but did crumple a bit at the back.  When I made a similar jacket I underlined the linen with a very lightweight viscose fabric and only interfaced with a very lightweight interfacing on the facing.  That worked well for me; it feels lovely to wear, great for hot weather and is much more crease-resistant than my previous RTW unlined linen jacket. 

sewsy

• Paid Member
« Reply #144 on: July 01, 2018, 12:07:36 AM »

I had an unlined linen RTW jacket that was just interfaced at the collar and facing and it was lovely to wear in the heat but did crumple a bit at the back.  When I made a similar jacket I underlined the linen with a very lightweight viscose fabric and only interfaced with a very lightweight interfacing on the facing.  That worked well for me; it feels lovely to wear, great for hot weather and is much more crease-resistant than my previous RTW unlined linen jacket.

Thanks Turquoise! I've decided on the jacket pattern, a long OOP Vogue Anne Klein. I'm going to do a muslin for it, not so much for fit, but to just do a trial run of the sewing. I'd just about decided to go ahead and add fusible to the entire thing, but the extra heat it will generate is giving me pause. I'm not sure exactly what I'll do...every time I make up my mind to go one way, another thought pops up and I'm undecided again.

I have a sample of the fabric, plan on doing a few tests on it and then I'll decide what to do. Again, thanks for the input!

sewsy

• Paid Member
« Reply #145 on: July 06, 2018, 11:20:21 PM »

I've gotten the curtains sewn, I originally wanted to do the tucks for hanging the curtains with the hooks, but made a casing instead. I can still make the pleats, I'll see when I get the bedroom finished. Have to paint, refinish the wood floors, install new window casings and base moldings....a ways to go yet.

I'm working on the first of four garments for middle DD's birthday. It's a casual jacket and going together rather well. I needed to add fusible interfacing to the facing pieces, so while I was at it, I decided to fuse a (different) sample to a piece of muslin I got for the youngests' suit that I'll be working on after I finish the birthday gifts.

Well! I LOVE the result! The thing is, I don't know what kind of fusible interfacing it is! I just picked it up and placed it on the ironing board for whenever I got around to trying it out. I'm thinking that I got it at......JoAnns. But I'm not real sure. I'm going to have to go on the hunt for it, I'm DEFinitely going to fuse the entire jacket with this product....as soon as I figure out exactly what it is, and where I can get more.  :)

sdBev

• Paid Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #146 on: July 07, 2018, 02:54:06 PM »

Hey guys
i just finished an epic sewing related project.  Gave details on the new topic: Cone Thread Storage;in the board Tools and Notions.  I’m pretty proud of my project work but Im on my IPAD and cant copy the link.  (When this thing dies, Im going back to ‘Droids.). Also theres a post on my blog.
sdBev

sewsy

• Paid Member
« Reply #147 on: July 09, 2018, 04:24:34 AM »

Making good progress on the outerwear jacket. I've attached the collar and facings, hand basted the patch pockets to the fronts (they may need to be repositioned, so hand basting will be easier to remove) machine basted the sleeves in (to make sure there would be no puckering) since the instructions called for setting the sleeves in using the flat, shirt method rather than easing in the fullness with basting stitches.

The sleeves went in without a hitch, but I used lots and lots of pins. A method that Ann Steeves suggested years ago. I'll do the permanent stitching during the next sewing session as well as trimming the inner facing seams and understitching them. I made the belt a bit differently than the pattern called for, but it's a bit short. I may have to add a(nother) piece to give it a bit more length.

Then sewing up the side seams (already serged and hemmed the sleeves) and hemming the jacket. Should be on to the next shortly after getting this one wrapped up.

theresa in tucson

• Paid Member
« Reply #148 on: July 09, 2018, 04:47:07 AM »

This past week I managed to finish sewing the new shirt for DH.  I still must do buttonholes and buttons but that will wait on finishing the next two garments in the same fabric. 

I spent Sunday and part of Saturday in the sewing room working on the next one, a London Shirt (The Sewing Workshop).  This is slated to go to my sister.  Because of the finished measurements (huge!) I cut out a medium.  Even at a medium the neckline is very big but the rest was not too bad.  It's a dropped shoulder and believe me, it's dropped quite a ways.  I was cursing Linda Lee when I was struggling through the sleeve cuffs, stopped to change a CD in the player after the first cuff and sat down and reread the instructions.  I reread them again to be sure and then I was cursing me.  So I took apart the hem and cuff and redid them according to Linda's directions and I got it right this time and was much happier with the results.  Still needs buttonholes and buttons.

Next up is a sleeveless shell out of the leftovers.  I did not bother pattern matching on the second shirt and with the leftovers was able to cut two fronts and one back for the shell.  The second back is pieced and there is just enough fabric to make some bias tape for the armholes and maybe if I'm lucky one of the larger scraps will match for the chest pocket.  If it doesn't, no biggie.  That will give me three garments out of almost five yards of wide (58") shirting fabric.

I cleaned up the sewing room and then set aside a black and white African print for a shirtdress and some cool orange sherbet plaid for a hippie style dress.

Debbie S

• Paid Member
« Reply #149 on: July 09, 2018, 05:01:14 AM »

sdBev, not certain, but I think this is the link to your Cone thread post.  I copied the link with my IPad. 

http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php?topic=1579.msg40023#msg40023
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 05:03:42 AM by Debbie S »

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #150 on: July 09, 2018, 06:32:32 AM »

Cone project is cool, I don't have that many cones so mine are in two boxes, and the ordinary thread is in 3 drawers.

I have not been in the sewing room as its been really hot which I have found very sapping.
It is due to be very slightly cooler this week so I am hoping I can manage a bit of time doing things, not just slumped on the sofa.
When I do it is curtain shortening and mending though rather than making something new, perhaps another reason for my procrastination?

Helen M

• Paid Member
« Reply #151 on: July 09, 2018, 08:15:36 AM »

I've not been sewing either, like Ruthie the heat is too draining. All I've managed is to shorten a T shirt that I made last summer and re do the overlocking on the sleeve of another T shirt. Maybe later this week I'll make a start on something new or tackle another of my alterations.
Sewing in Cheshire

[/url]

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #152 on: July 09, 2018, 07:56:25 PM »

It is cooler today, so perhaps the day to shorten the curtain in the bedroom.

theresa in tucson

• Paid Member
« Reply #153 on: July 10, 2018, 02:32:46 AM »

We are finally getting some rain but it has not been in our neighborhood.  The airport got a whopping 1".  We are about five to six miles north and a bit west and only got sprinkles.  I was desperately trying to get it to come our way by working outside pulling locks from the garden gates and the shed of the vacated rental; no luck.  Darn.  Maybe this evening we will get lucky.  I can sympathize with you, Ruthie.  Until we put a mini air conditioner in the guest/sewing room, summertime sewing was a miserable affair.  Now I use every little excuse to camp out back there.

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #154 on: July 10, 2018, 06:02:04 AM »

I don't have any home aircon, because this is England which is supposed to be mild and rainy.
It was cooler yesterday evening, so with all the windows open upstairs I managaed to get the indoor temp down to 20 degrees C which was lovely.
As I've lived in the UK all my life my personal thermostat is set to UK temps and I find the heat difficult to cope with. Thankfully the office does have aircon though it only runs until 5 and I usually stay until 6, so its only evenings I need to somehow cool the house down and manage to sleep.

I made good use of the cooler temps (as its going to be gradually heating up again) and made 4 simple lace curtains for the bedroom (3 on the wide window, 1 on the narrow window). I used the full width of the lace as it has pretty edges and did a simple casing at the top, with a raw hem (for the moment). These are on slim poles inside the windowframe, and I have purchased blackout curtains on a track as the main window covering.
I shortened the one blackout curtain that was too long, so its coming together a bit more now.

Helen M

• Paid Member
« Reply #155 on: July 11, 2018, 09:16:07 AM »

It's amazing the difference a few degrees drop in temps makes Ruthie! We went to the NE where it was grey (what is that, we've had sun only for 6 weeks!) and only 17C so if nothing else I got a decent night's sleep! I keep threatening to get a portable Air Con unit but always leave it too late to do any research.

No sewing, but have some ideas after chatting with my Mum on my visit.
Sewing in Cheshire

[/url]

sdBev

• Paid Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #156 on: July 11, 2018, 10:42:43 AM »

Managed to cut a pair of shorts yesterday from a remnant. Embroidered the pockets and installed zipper.  Will probably finish tomorrow.  There was enough fabric that with a little creative cutting, I got a second pair out of the same remnant.
sdBev

sewsy

• Paid Member
« Reply #157 on: July 11, 2018, 02:29:24 PM »

Managed to cut a pair of shorts yesterday from a remnant. Embroidered the pockets and installed zipper.  Will probably finish tomorrow.  There was enough fabric that with a little creative cutting, I got a second pair out of the same remnant.

Kudos, Bev! I love it when most if not all the fabric from a particular project can be used in a meaningful way. I added the extension to the belt for the outerwear jacket, it looks pretty nice. Did a bit more work on the jacket itself, it should be done in a short while, then onto the next jacket.

I'm also going to start fiddling with the trench coat so that I don't run out of time. I'd planned on doing one piece at a time, but that might not be such a good idea if I want to get everything finished and mailed out in time for DD's birthday.

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #158 on: July 11, 2018, 04:14:04 PM »

Made some lace curtains for the bedroom, liked them a lot so did all the upstairs rooms.

http://ruthieksews1.blogspot.com/2018/07/lace-curtains-ivory-leaf-design.html

sdBev

• Paid Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #159 on: July 12, 2018, 02:55:54 AM »

Ruthie
Love the lace pattern.  Home Dec sewing can be tedious,  but the rewards are wonderful and lasting.

Sewsy, thanks and keep pluggin’ away. You’ll get it done

Didn't quite finish the first pair of shorts.  Was using a waistband I havent sewn in a  while. Its easy, if I follow the steps.   But when I miss a step, like I did today, well, a lot of ripping and some creative sewing have to be done.

sdBev

BinMI

• Paid Member
« Reply #160 on: July 12, 2018, 11:28:43 AM »

I’ve been learning hand appliqué using one of my Mom’s quilt books. Hearts and Flowers, Hand Appliqué Start to Finish by Kathy Delaney. I’ve never made a quilt and this may never become one, just taking it one square at a time. I am enjoying the hand work.

sewsy

• Paid Member
« Reply #161 on: July 16, 2018, 11:19:42 AM »

Just about done with the outerwear jacket and cut out the next jacket in the set. I plan on getting started with that as well as doing the pattern work on the trench coat after the first jacket is finished. As it turned out, there wasn't enough fabric for both the second jacket and the pair of culottes I wanted to make. It may be just as well, she very likely wouldn't wear them, anyway.

theresa in tucson

• Paid Member
« Reply #162 on: July 16, 2018, 02:44:14 PM »

Spent a rainy Sunday in the sewing room finishing up the modifications of the drapes for the rental.  Got the last two pair done last night and then went looking for my pajama pants pattern. 

I had downloaded the So Sew Simple free pajama pattern and wanted to compare the pattern with my Lisette pattern and a TNT from a few years back.  What prompted me to check against an existing pattern was the mislabeling on the So Sew Simple.  On the pants the front and back pattern pieces had their labels reversed and went I pulled out a tape to measure I found that the pattern sizes did not match up with the corresponding "finished garment" measurements.  Not the end of the world for me; I went through three muslins before I got a good fit on the Lisette pajama bottoms.

Today I'm going to hang the curtains, spackle some holes and then spend the sticky hot afternoon in the sewing room.  We had a very good rain yesterday and the sun is now trying to burn through the clouds which should make everything nice and muggy.  I'm sitting at the computer with a fan blowing on me.

Cheriecz

• Paid Member
  • aka Cheriemg
« Reply #163 on: July 16, 2018, 06:44:54 PM »

We had a very good rain yesterday and the sun is now trying to burn through the clouds which should make everything nice and muggy.  I'm sitting at the computer with a fan blowing on me.
theresa in tucson, I'm another in AZ, in NW Phoenix, and am happy that this year's rain in our summer rainy season is really raining! We've received about 2.5 in in the week's storms, really great this year compared to year's past. But yeah, muggy follows, though cooler, doesn't feel much like it!
Cherie

Sewing in the Arizona desert

theresa in tucson

• Paid Member
« Reply #164 on: July 17, 2018, 01:32:31 AM »

Cherie, you may be actually getting more rain than us.  So far the rain has drenched some neighborhoods but just sprinkled in ours.  Sunday was the best day we've had in a while.  The monsoon started off with a bang and then nothing.  It's sprinkling right now but the forecast for the next week keeps going down.

JuneBug

• Paid Member
« Reply #165 on: July 17, 2018, 11:14:18 PM »

I spent 2 hours folding fabric onto mini bolts and shelving them yesterday afternoon. That's another two totes done.  I have a large bundle of pieces that need to be ironed, or at least given a quick spin in the dryer, before bolting.  I still like the pieces all enough to give them storage space. 

sewsy

• Paid Member
« Reply #166 on: July 19, 2018, 05:29:36 PM »

I got the next jacket cut out, it's waiting for me to begin work on it. The outerwear jacket is a tad too short, so I've cut and added extensions to the hem ("no mistakes, only designer touches"...Clotilde ;)) so after that's done, the jacket really is in the home stretch. As it turns out, the extra fabric from this project isn't nearly enough to do either culottes or pants, especially since I had to borrow a bit of it for the hem bands,  so it's back to the fabric store for more.

At least I'm not stockpiling fabrics like years past. For the most part, when I purchase goods I use them right away, or very soon after buying. I'm glad about that. :)

sdBev

• Paid Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #167 on: July 19, 2018, 07:25:53 PM »

...("no mistakes, only designer touches"...Clotilde ;)) ...
Absolutely!
sdBev

theresa in tucson

• Paid Member
« Reply #168 on: July 19, 2018, 10:11:01 PM »

Spent my daily time in the sewing room last night hemming a pair of jeans shorts for a friend and taking in a pair of my jeans.  TNT pattern but different fabric and boy did it stretch out as soon as it was worn.  I took the waistband off from side to side in the back, unpicked the topstitching, removed a few belt loops and took in a wedge at center back.  Tried them on and then took in another quarter inch and then put everything back together. 

While I was putting the belt loops back on I was dreaming of an industrial strength zigzag.  I have a chunk of cushion foam to cover for one of the rentals and just reviewed a SAILRITE video on how to make an easy box cushion.  I'm hankering after one of those machines!  Jeans and home dec would be so easy!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Fabric Mart Fabrics Style Arc Sewing Patterns Put Your Ad Here
Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here