Stitcher's Guild Reloaded

Advanced search  

News:

Stitcher's Guild is sponsored in part by:
styleARC Sewing Patterns

Author Topic: SUMMER 2018 6PAC (6-PIECE SEW ALONG) : 1 May 2018 to 31 July 2018  (Read 6831 times)

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member

On her blog Elizabeth writes:
https://ejvc.wordpress.com/2018/05/02/summer-2018-6pac-6-piece-sew-along/

SUMMER 2018 6PAC (6-PIECE SEW ALONG)

Good morning friends!  Happy May day (one day ago)!  Time to start our summer sewing!  The summer 6PAC is designed to give you a foundation  wardrobe that you can wear all summer.  The goal is to sew simple pieces at a sustainable pace ó two a month ó within a set of guidelines that will ensure a coherent whole.

You will want to decide a style and a colour scheme for your wardrobe.  The basis should be a neutral colour such as white, black, tan, stone, navy, indigo, olive, brown.  Weíve had some discussion about this but generally agreed that a neutral should be ďanything you can wear as trousers.Ē  You probably also want a second neutral colour and an actual colour.

I highly recommend choosing simply-constructed pieces and spending time on fit and money on fabric.  Once you have your base 6, you can extend your wardrobe with showstoppers.

The basic formula for summer is:

One layering garment in a neutral or colour ó such as a sheer shirt or lace cardigan
    One top in your main neutral
    One top in your colour
    One top in your secondary neutral or a print combining your neutrals and colour
    One bottom in your neutral
    One bottom in your second neutral

For example, V9286 (https://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v9286) is a summer wardrobe in a loose, casual style, containing an overblouse (cardigan style optional), a straight skirt, straight narrow pants, and a sleeveless top. Vogue shows it made up in five pieces in two neutrals (black and white) and a colour (red): a red cardigan overblouse, a print  overblouse, a black top, black pants, and a red skirt.  Black, white, and red is a classic colour combo, and while Iím unlikely to wear a red skirt, plenty of people would (skirts are a way in which you can easily add more colour, they are quite forgiving).  So to make this a 6pac according to the rules, I would add a white top, and then consider the print overblouse to be a top.  Or maybe not ó because there are no 6PAC police 🙂  Also, while wardrobe patterns such as this can provide some inspiration, I always think itís better to dream a little and then cobble together your own, because I donít trust the pattern drafters at Vogue to know a knit from a woven or how to size anything (see, They Lie https://ejvc.wordpress.com/2010/09/15/the-lies-that-pattern-companies-tell-part-2/).  Also, what about those fabric choices? Does this look like a medium weight wool pattern to you? Not to me.  Iíd pick linen and check the measurements carefully.  Just saying.

The 6PAC formula seems restrictive but it is surprisingly adaptable:

Say you are a city slicker looking for comfortable wear in the summer while navigating super-hot outside temperatures and freezing-cold inside air conditioning.  You decide linen is your answer.  You make two simple linen skirts Ė one in natural linen and one in beige linen; pair them with a black linen blazer and a natural machine-knitted lace cardigan in linen (time to drag the knitting machine out from under the bed), and make sleeveless silk shell in black, and another in a beautiful blue silk.  You have black and blue and beige jewellery and scarves to tie it all together.  On the really cold days inside, you can wear the jacket over the cardigan!

Suppose you are a busy mom living in a place that doesnít get so warm in the summer, working in a casual environment.  Your personal style tends towards floral and soft, so you decide that youíll make a practice wardrobe with a single oatmeal coloured cardigan in a soft knit, three tops with embroidery and ruffle details in pale blue, cream, and a blue print, and two full pleated skirts in blue and stone.  Top with straw hat and ribbons as necessary.

You are a wild thing living in the urban jungle, and you need fashionable runaround clothes that make a statement.  No neutrals!! Brights are this yearís neutrals!!! You make emerald green and sapphire blue leggings, long t-shirts in white, yellow, and red, and top it with a long tie dyed duster coat.  Oh yeah!  Donít forget the shiny silver bag you picked up at the thrift store.

You are a computer programmer who constantly has to assert that sheís clever and worthwhile in the relentless Brotopia of Silicon Valley.  Sure, the guys can get away with jeans and a sweatshirt and just be nerds but it doesnít work so well for you.  But, you want everything to be simple.  You make two pairs of black trousers, one trimmed down the side with an awesome 011000110011 digital ribbon you found.  Then you break out your trusty Silhouette cutter and make three nerdy vinyl cutouts which you print onto three t-shirts: black, white, and grey.  Finally you make a simple unlined short canvas peacoat in grey, with extravagantly geeky buttons.  Works.

Youíre a student on break!!! Break!!!!  And youíve been invited to go on a trip with a friendís family.  You sew a simple purple cardigan from sweater knit,  then add a lavender tee, a white tee, and a purple-and-white print blouse.  A pair of white jeans and an embroidered purple skirt and youíre good to go.

Have fun sewing this season and donít worry if it takes longer than you think.  My solution is almost always to begin with a single outfit (say layer-top-bottom), then add a second top and then the second outfit (top-bottom).  May your fitting be easy and your fabric enough!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 12:33:15 PM by Sew Ruthie Sews »

CCL

• Paid Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
Re: SUMMER 2018 6PAC (6-PIECE SEW ALONG) : 1 May 2018 to 31 July 2018
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 01:06:19 PM »

Thanks, Ruthie!  I was waiting for this.  I love being able to use Elizabeth's guidance for organizing my seasonal sewing.   Still undecided about colors.   I have my SWAP sewing to finish, but I am also itching to keep stash busting with the blues and magentas I have on hand.  I am really trying to hold the line on buying fabric...which didn't work as well as I hoped for SWAP, so trying to make a renewed effort.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 10:51:44 AM by CCL »

Sizun

• Paid Member
  • East of France / semi continental
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 01:10:43 PM »

Thank you for posting Ruthie ! I wrote a few possible examples, some of them inspired by what I saw in shop windows recently...

Your poetry might never bring you money and celebrity, but you won a whooping artist residency stay on that beautiful island. Everything will be catered for, you will just have to seek inspiration and write all day long, and share gorgeous meals with like minded souls in the evening. You don't have much time before leaving, so you aim at simple and clean lines in the Lagenlook style. You choose dove gray and a soft coral and make gray pants, a gray sleeveless tunic, coral pants, a coral sleeveless tunic and a coral one with long sleeves and puffy pockets. You ask your sister to machine knit a coral cotton and merino wrap to keep you warm in the evening.

You're a young stay at home mother and you're planning to sew 30 minutes a day during nap time, and maybe in the evening. Your colors are forest green, rust and cream. You make forest green carrot pants and a tiered skirt, a cream eyelet peasant blouse, a cream tee, a rust one and a light knit rust cardi. Cream tops are not a problem because they're cotton and you're an expert at laundry now.

You just retired in Brittany in your renovated grandparents' house and slate rooftops, blue shutters and pink hydrangeas are inspiring you. You selected navy, blue and pink to sew a denim button down skirt, navy jeans, a blouse in a beautiful pink and blue Liberty cotton and a pink short sleeved tee. You knit a navy sweater with cream and pink nautical stripes and your masterpiece will be a navy gabardine car jacket.

You will spend the entire summer in town and you're decided to treat yourself to a new wardrobe with interesting details and quality fabrics. You choose cream and a golden olive as your colors. You make cream denim trumpet pants with an exposed gold buttons fly, a cream linen button down shirt with ties on the sleeves, a cream tee shirt with a sequined border, an olive cotton gabardine skirt, an olive silk top and a cream and olive striped blazer in a beautiful heavy linen.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 01:21:14 PM by Sizun »

One Dress A Month Sew Along

Helen M

• Paid Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 01:15:37 PM »

Thank you Ruthie! I'm thinking of garments and colours. Got some ideas for once that I think I may be able to complete (says she with fingers crossed!)
Sewing in Cheshire

[/url]

Magimum

• Paid Member
    • I blog at Poor Mother
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 02:07:47 PM »

Thanks Ruthie. Revisiting some previous summer 6PAC plans in the hope that something might get completed.

I have a yearning for chambray, turquoise and ivory this summer. And the weather to go with it.
My flickr feed https://flic.kr/ps/28QUmm

My blog: poormother.co.uk
and flowerdogdesigns.co.uk - where my machine embroidery will live, eventually.

CCL

• Paid Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 02:16:30 PM »

Oh...Sizun, these are great!

Sizun

• Paid Member
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 03:08:16 PM »

I'm thinking about clothes for a very hot weather involving linen and a loose fit. Did I mention Lagenlook ?  ;D
I've just finished a dark red/burgundy dress quite similar to Tessuti's Eva dress and a long loose tunic in a natural and sage green plaid linen. I used Tessuti's Athina top pattern with a few changes  Rivergum shared on her blog. I also turned an old olive maxi dress into a maxi skirt. I won't be able to post pictures soon, but will around the 15th of May, when back from a trip abroad. One of these pieces will probably be the starting point of my summer 6PAC if I ever complete one !

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 03:10:17 PM »

Lovely Sizun!

I am not feeling very inspired right now and May is super busy with various trips so I probably won't get cracking on mine until June.
When I do its likely to be smartish business casual in a building with slightly erratic heating/air conditioning which means layers are a necessity.

I could either take some purchased trousers and make a capsule around them (I bought stone and sage) or do something from scratch.
I did make a soft 'suit' during my SWAP sewing which worked well so maybe do that again in another fabric.
It would be quite nice to have something with trousers, skirt and cardigan jacket all in the same fabric with 3 different tops to go with them.
I'm not sure it quite meets the rules but would be nice to wear.
Thinking about it I did plan out exactly that with a cadet blue fabric but never got beyond measuring and washing the multiple fabric remnants.

Sizun

• Paid Member
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 03:16:32 PM »

Ruthie, no rules, only guidelines  ;)
One layer, two bottoms and three tops seem fine !
May will be very hectic for me with 2 trips planned and the garden coming back to life so I too am expecting a lot from my june sewing.

CCL

• Paid Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 04:28:41 PM »

I've just finished a dark red/burgundy dress quite similar to Tessuti's Eva dress and a long loose tunic in a natural and sage green plaid linen. I used Tessuti's Athina top pattern with a few changes  Rivergum shared on her blog.

Ohhh, can't wait to see the photos! 

I have some oddball pieces I want to get made - white skirt, chupa dress, SWAP Sheath dress... but will need to noodle out some plans to see how to make what I want to sew suddenly organize themselves into a cohesive 6-PAC.    I am energized again - Thanks Ruthie and Sizun - for getting this thread going.

Lisanne

• Paid Member
  • southern England
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 04:33:56 PM »

So much inspiration here, I love both Elizabeth's and Sizun' suggestions, and the wardrobe pattern Elizabeth found.  But I plan to restrict myself to making a bodice block and re-learning to do machine embroidery in this time period.  Then perhaps fulfil my dreams of making the simplest of shapes given interest by generous embroidery  ;D
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

Saashka

• Paid Member
  • sewing in southern Maryland
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 05:07:14 PM »

Iíll play! Iím thinking about making some lantern-leg pants (one pair black, one red), red cardigan or jacket, and three tops (one red, one black, one Iím not sure yet, maybe gray). I have to go play with some PJs first to see how to shape the leg into the lantern silhouette.

Elephun

• Paid Member
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2018, 11:04:03 PM »

I'm nearly always trying some new pattern in my 6PACs, which means muslins, and it means that my vision for theses collections is generally flexible. The only thing I'm pretty sure of right now is teal. Right now, teal, green, dark blue, and black are appealing.

I'm planning a dark teal blue silk outer/silk-cotton underlined Tessuti Athina.

I'm going to quickly sew up a pair of Style Arc Elle pants in dark teal green RPL. The pants will possibly only be a muslin as I haven't made that pattern in years, but it could work out to be wearable in the end. If the I like the fit, but this pair isn't wearable, I plan to make a pair for my 6PAC in a dark neutrals of my preference (dark blue or black).

I've got plans to muslin this Scroop blouse.

If the Scroop blouse works out, I can see it with wide leg trousers, which might be my Loes Hinse Bilbao which I'll need to muslin as I haven't made them in a few years at this girth.

I want a jacket of some sort, but I seem to be incredibly picky so the search goes on.

I'll probably pull something from my wardrobe to make the 6th item.

So, that's 1 top that's more than likely to work out as I've recently sewn several others (knock on wood), 1 muslin that has the usual chance of success, and 2 muslins that have a pretty decent chance of success because I've sewn multiples of the garments before. Last, but surely not least complicated, a jacket that I'll muslin if I can ever decide on a pattern.

Elephun

• Paid Member
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2018, 03:34:28 AM »

HA! I sewed up my Style Arc Elle pants, and made a fatal error on the third seam! I was running them up in the serger and made the inside leg seams opposite from the crotch seam. In other words, the serged seam was either going to show as a ridge riding around my rise, or up and down my inseam. I opted for the latter so I could more easily make tweaks.
Otherwise they would have been wearable. It's probably better this way as I'm more motivated to work out the wrinkles on the back.

Garden Girl

• Paid Member
  • Middle California
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2018, 04:52:14 AM »

Thank you Ruthie for starting this. Sizun, you too.  ;) It is timely. It's like a switch was thrown. Today was the last day in the 70's and by Friday we'll be low to 90's with the occasional upper 80. Could be worse, as Arizona will reach the low 100's Friday. Thinking of you Mudcat:sunny:

I think someone mentioned stone and sage, up-thread or elsewhere, and that sounds nice, as does natural and sage. I'm feeling light colors right now, and stripes. Neither are my norm so we'll see where that leads. I'm wanting tone on tone machine embroidery on cottons and linens, maybe near the hem on pants or pockets and collars on woven tops. Vents on pant hems. Loose but lightweight tops. Less bulk but not tight or form fitting. I looked up "carrot pant" that Sizun mentioned and I've loved those forever, so maybe those instead of lantern pants. I've picked up a couple of pant patterns that might be nice.

Or I might just go all Sonya Philip on y'all and do 3 each of Top #1 and Pant #1 and call it a day. I have some great fabric for the pants.  ;)

This, assuming I'll be allowed to sew. Friday I see my Doctor to go over recent x-rays. I've seen the results online :o and read how they treat this. :-\  Not surgical, just everything else apparently.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 08:33:32 PM by Garden Girl »

mudcat

• Paid Member
  • Sonoran Desert / subtropical
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2018, 05:10:17 AM »

Thanks Garden Girl ... crazy weather here.  Yesterday and today it was shockingly cool when I left work.  But we will be back up to normal on Sunday and I need a six pac of sleeveless dresses.  I have quite a few that are several years old and starting to look a little worn.  And what's left is only house worthy as they are too tight for public.  So I will be thinking about dresses and hoping to make some.

At the moment I'm trying to complete some UFOs.

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2018, 10:57:14 AM »

Another post from Elizabeth
https://ejvc.wordpress.com/2018/05/03/another-potential-summer-6pac-pattern/

Another potential summer 6PAC pattern
In my last post I mentioned a potential Vogue pattern suitable for 6PAC goodness this summer.  Today I have a Simplicity pattern which also seems to fit the bill Ė 8557.  When Iím reviewing a potential pattern for a 6PAC I look to see that it has all three elements Ė layer, top, and bottom ó and that they really work together.  The Vogue pattern was mostly woven fabrics; this pattern is mostly knits and so itís also kind of mysterious unless you work with knits quite frequently.

This has the ďeasy-to-sewĒ label and I would believe it.  The quality of the knits will make a huge different to how this sews up.  I would recommend at least three or four different weights: a heavier double-knit or ponte for the pants, a medium-weight, non-transparent knit for the tank and blouse, and a sweater knit for the cardigan.  For the dress, I would also tend to take a heavier ponte knit. I would also double or triple-check the sizing on the cardigan as it looks like itís falling off the model.

This particular pattern also seems like a 7-pac to me ó dresses fall somewhat outside the 6pac formula although of course you could wear this as a top as they illustrate.

Below Iíve illustrated with some fabrics from the Ottobre shop on Etsy.  They are expensive but are top quality, in my experience (and no, they donít give me fabric or money, this my actual opinion).  For my summer, Iíd make two pair of pants, one in grey ponte (number 5) and one in denim-look jersey (blue):

Two tanks in a  single jersey like this (Iíd pick the grey and black-and-white version because mustard does nothing for me).  Iíve chosen two neutral prints instead of solid colours because Iíve observed that plain flat colours donít serve me very well ó I like a heathered look).  These are also very small-scale prints.

Then for the long blouse this kind of melange jersey (probably aqua, kind of a light neutral colour but very nice for me):

and then for the sweater (if I didnít knit the yardage on my machine, in which case there would be some real fun), perhaps this medium weight merino jersey in the weathered dark blue, upper right of the picture.

Finally Iíd make the dress/top in this double-sided floral/strip knit in the blue or pink colour way. Or I might pick the dark petrol jacket and the green colour way (in which case Iíd probably also make the long-sleeved tee in green).

So, totting all that up as follows:

1.6 metre ponte at 263 SEK= 420
    1.6 metre denim ponte at 195 SEK = 312
    2 m of dots (one per tank) at 143 SEK= 286
    1.9 m of organic melange at 115 SEK = 219
    2.6 m of merino at 386 SEK = 1,004 SEK

TOTAL cost of summer wardrobe: 2,241 SEK (about $250 or £185 before shipping and notions ó notions here though would be very limited Ė thread, elastic and knitted bias tape (or just use knitted strips).  This is of course certainly cheaper than you could buy, and also you could certainly sew this up more cheaply ó it works out to about $35 per garment.

In terms of order I would make the long-sleeved tee, then pants, then cardigan (for the cooler early summer), then both tees together, and then the second pair of trousers.  Or actually, perhaps I would make both pairs of trousers out of the denim ponte (cutting about 90SEK off the price!) and make them together ó using the same fabric in different colours means you can really effectively make multiples with no need to refit based on different stretch profiles).  Two trousers and two tanks would be a nice weekendís sewing with this easy of a pattern. I must say in terms of hacking I would also consider adding arms to those tees ó it is too cool here for bare arms most of the summer and the big triangle thing does nothing for my figure.  If so Iíd add another 50cm of fabric to each of the dotted jerseys. (adding back 143 SEK to the 90 SEK I saved before Ė rats!).

Then Iíd look around for ways to add more colour with scarves, bags, etc.

warpjr1965

• Paid Member
    • Nebula Classical Academy
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2018, 04:02:55 PM »

I think I'm seriously in on this 6 pac. Usually I am burned out after SWAP, but I have 3 items I want to add to round it out: a swing dress in a robert Kaufman cotton, a sweater or vest from a blue knit from Joanns, the henley pullover that I wanted for SWAP but needs a serious sway back adjustment, which I'v not done before.

Might also need a pair of pink eleonore jeans, since we all know pink is a neutral!!
Wendy

CCL

• Paid Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2018, 04:20:59 PM »

Musing still - I am inspired by Saashka's plan.  This will work with my desire to finish up SWAP sewing as well as my need for more white garments for summer.  My thinking so far: 
  • 2 tops = white (organic batiste), forest teal green (SWAP leftover)
  • 2 skirts = white (fabric to be purchased), forest teal green (SWAP leftover)
  • 2 dresses = off white (practice dress for sheath), green, white navy shirting stripe (Folkwear chupa).
If I actually complete these, that will be several items off my project list using stash, another goal.   Except for the white skirt, I should have everything on hand.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 10:56:09 AM by CCL »

sewsy

• Paid Member
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2018, 08:11:57 PM »

Ruthie, thanks for posting both of Elizabeth's 6pac plans! I think (as Saashka put it) I'm gonna play, too! I'm going to go off script a bit and do a 6pac plus. I've been perusing the latest Talbot's online catalogues, and have gotten a few ideas from those. I have a few things already done, a ufo that may work whenever I get it finished, and some leftover fabric from it that I've decided to combine with another piece for a colorblocked top. I'm not quite sure as to exactly what I want to do, except to say that I need a few pair of capris and maybe a pair of culottes or two.

Colors are kinda all over the place as yet. The ufo is a creamsicle colored polo shirt. I plan on using the leftover with a light beige and making a colorblock tee. Also thinking of navy cotton bottom (pant or shorts), lime green knit top or twinset (if there's enough yardage) or a pink tee or twinset. If I decide to go with the orange shirt, I made a tee out of it as well, then I'll do a few khaki colored bottoms to go with.

Those color combos won't work together, so I'll hafta pick just one and go with that. Well, it's a work in progress, so....;)

Elizabeth posted fabric samples and costs for the different garment pacs. Fortunately (thank The Lord!!!!) I have most, if not all the fabric I need on hand. Love that stash!!!! :D
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 08:14:00 PM by sewsy »

Lisanne

• Paid Member
  • southern England
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2018, 09:18:57 PM »

For getting inspiration from catalogues / Lookbooks, Poetry casuals are more my style :
https://www.poetryfashion.co.uk/lookbook/boundless-spaces.htm
https://www.poetryfashion.co.uk/lookbook/santa-fe.htm
scroll down.
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

marciae

• Paid Member
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2018, 09:47:57 PM »

What a great site Lisanne - Thanks

Saashka

• Paid Member
  • sewing in southern Maryland
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2018, 12:23:17 AM »

Oh Lisanne, what a lovely collection! I really like the look of their linen knits. Thank you for sharing the links!

sewsy

• Paid Member
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2018, 03:17:45 AM »

For getting inspiration from catalogues / Lookbooks, Poetry casuals are more my style :
https://www.poetryfashion.co.uk/lookbook/boundless-spaces.htm
https://www.poetryfashion.co.uk/lookbook/santa-fe.htm
scroll down.

Beautiful site, Lisanne! Poetry Fashion has that Eileen Fisher/J.Jill vibe. Beautiful clothes. Thanks for the link.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 03:27:40 AM by sewsy »

Sizun

• Paid Member
    • My blog
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2018, 05:55:14 AM »

I like the link too, Lisanne. I pined a shirt and a dress.

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2018, 07:24:19 AM »

nice pieces from Poetry Lisanne, very different to the colour and prints suggested by Elizabeth.

I have teal green eyes and lots of pink in my skin so need some colour always in an outfit or I look very boring.
I'm probably going to let my lovely fabric cupboard inspire me, and go with TNTs
Cadet blue remnants for elastic waist pants, elastic waist skirt and a loose cardigan style jacket
A knit top in ivory/brown and blue print
Then see what I want to make after that.

Sizun

• Paid Member
    • My blog
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2018, 08:00:40 AM »

Yesterday I managed to sew a quick Athina top to match the dark red linen dress. I cropped it but otherwise kept it as designed. The outfit looks great, like a long sleeved dress that can turn into a sleeveless one. However, I need to add a scarf or a necklace to make it more interesting. I was in a hurry, I might add pockets when back home  ;)

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2018, 09:23:35 AM »

Wow Sizun, that was quick off the mark.

Another idea for a collection is to base it round a print, from a fabric, a scarf or the colours found in an image/painting that you like.

Sizun

• Paid Member
    • My blog
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2018, 10:39:51 AM »

Yes indeed ! Starting from an orphan print garment is a great idea, as most of the time, prints are the orphans...

Magimum

• Paid Member
    • I blog at Poor Mother
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2018, 11:33:07 AM »

Another idea for a collection is to base it round a print, from a fabric, a scarf or the colours found in an image/painting that you like.

Yes, I like the posts on the Vivienne files that use a painting as a basis for a colour palette. She comes up with some unusual and effective colour combinations that I might not have considered otherwise.

Helen M

• Paid Member
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2018, 01:03:29 PM »

Love the Poetry site Lisanne thanks for the heads up!

Looks like Vivienne files have had a change of blog provider or something? Went on for first time is a while (laptop sort of died) and old link re directed me.
Sewing in Cheshire

[/url]

Magimum

• Paid Member
    • I blog at Poor Mother
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2018, 01:12:12 PM »

Looks like Vivienne files have had a change of blog provider or something? Went on for first time is a while (laptop sort of died) and old link re directed me.

Oh yes, you're right, I must admit I've been reading the posts on email rather than going to the site so hadn't noticed that.

The search feature is much better now.

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2018, 01:17:03 PM »

yes she had it moved off Google Blogger and onto Wordpress apparently.
I used to get errors all the time on it so I am pleased about the move

http://www.theviviennefiles.com/2018/04/exciting-stuff-coming-soon.html/

I do read the site regularly, but have not been inspired by any of the recent sets, however I can still use some of the principles can't I.

Magimum

• Paid Member
    • I blog at Poor Mother
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2018, 02:23:18 PM »

tml/[/url]

I do read the site regularly, but have not been inspired by any of the recent sets, however I can still use some of the principles can't I.

I agree, the clothes aren't often my style but I do like the way she builds from basics.

sewsy

• Paid Member
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2018, 02:25:21 AM »

I picked up a cute b&w check from JA's awhile back. It's a rather unusual fabric, the label said it was a performance fabric. I don't know what that is, and after I got it home wasn't really sure it would be suitable for garments. I've been dithering as to whether or not I should use it, but I'm going to keep it and make what I'd intended; a sleeveless top and tennis skirt.

I've been circling around a black and white theme....so I think that those will be my main colors, and I'll add a few pieces to them to round out the set.

Also, I've been thinking not so much on the idea of the 6pac, but rather, what do I need? I need tops. Tees, to be exact. I live in those things, and could use a few new ones. So, what with black and white being the theme, I'm going to do the orange color block, also a white tee, a black one, and maybe an apple green twinset.

Along with that, I'm planning on two or three pair of capris...black, khaki and a cream and beige stripe.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »   Go Up

Fabric Mart Fabrics Style Arc Sewing Patterns Put Your Ad Here
Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here