Stitcher's Guild Reloaded

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome! :)

If you have trouble registering or logging in, please email me.    dl@artisanssquare.com

Author Topic: Hand embroidery advice  (Read 628 times)

SeeDesignMake

• Paid Member
    • See It, Design It, Make It
Hand embroidery advice
« on: March 12, 2018, 10:42:45 AM »

Hello,

I am looking to do some hand embroidery on a skirt. It will be made out of a woven fabric, most likely a cotton. I have not done this before so I was hoping people will be able to provide me with any tips to make sure I get a good finish?

Do I need to stabilise the fabric? If so do I need to apply a tear away stabiliser or a permanent interfacing?

Any help will be appreciated!!
"Find your inspiration and sew something beautiful" - seedesignmake.com

ljh

• Paid Member
Re: Hand embroidery advice
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 03:26:43 PM »

You'll be thrilled to hear the answer to all questions is "It depends."   How heavy is your fabric?  What kind of design do you plan to embroider (lots of outlines, or solid satin stitch, etc.?)
I'd strongly recommend you do some samples if you can.  If your fabric is fairly stable and you have a good embroidery hoop (one that permits you to get your fabric really taut) you shouldn't need backing or stabilizer.

Since this is going on a skirt, I'd also suggest you not do a design with long, loose bits of thread on the surface that will snag because if you are anything like me, you will "swish" against something rough and it will catch and pull.  Back stitch, stem stitch, couching, chain stitch and the like are a better bet than long satin stitches.

If you let me know a bit more about your project, maybe I can provide more concrete advice.
Linda

SeeDesignMake

• Paid Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 10:02:33 AM »

Hello,

Thanks for your help!!

I was thinking of sewing a skater/circle style skirt. I was thinking of using a medium weight fabric that has a bit of drape... perhaps a poplin. But any other suggestions are welcome.

I am still working out my design at the moment, 1 thought was to do a cross stitch design in an aztec style shape or pattern e.g.

My other thought was to do a firework design e.g.

Melinda_B

• Paid Member
    • Better Than I Planned
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 10:11:39 AM »

You'll need to hoop the fabric, so make sure you test this and check if it leaves marks on your fabric.  LJH has also given you some good advice. 

If you're planning to cross stitch then you'll need to baste waste canvas to your fabric, embroider over that and then remove the canvas.

Do you have any sewing shops around you, SAGA chapter, Embroiderers guilds or the like?  They would all be a great resource to help you.
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

CCL

• Paid Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 12:23:08 PM »

SeeDesignMake, One thought in terms of your possible designs...the fireworks design will be much more forgiving of little mistakes than the Aztec design will be.  The Aztec design would show every tiny misstep and it would also probably make a much stiffer and heavy border.

Edited to correct typos.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 02:48:16 PM by CCL »

fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 01:24:39 PM »

SeeDesignMake, One thought in terms of your possible designs...the fireworks design will be much more forgiving of little mistakes would.  The Aztec design would show every tiny missteps.  It would also probably make a much stiffer and heavy border.

Not to mention the fact that when embroidering the hem area of a circular skirt,  much of the fabric is on the bias, either true or partial, depending on how the skirt is cut. It will want to stretch in the hoop. Circle skirts are usually hung for several days for the fabric to rest and the hem edge to be trimmed back evenly before hemming is completed.

FWIW, if you need a circle skirt calculator for making your own custom pattern and for yardage, there are a few out there that work nicely:

https://www.moodfabrics.com/circleskirt-calculator

https://byhandlondon.com/pages/circle-skirt-app

https://www.easycalculation.com/other/circle-skirt-calculator.php

Kathryn

My blog: I Made This! at http://imadethis-asewingblog.blogspot.com/
Flickr Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72428033@N00/albums

2018 Dress a Month count:

ljh

• Paid Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 03:16:30 PM »

I'd go with the fireworks design for a circular hem.  I have no idea how you would fit a straight line geometric pattern to a circle.
Linda

indigotiger

• Paid Member
    • Acorn Cottage Artisanry
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 08:51:26 PM »

I must be a outlier, since I never use a hoop when doing hand embroidery, and I do a lot of it on garments. I prefer to just carefully hold the fabric in my hands. But if you are comfortable with a hoop, I am sure that also works well. What I would do is to first make up the skirt, including letting it hang, and hemming it, prior to any embroidery. Then I would probably stabilise it with liquid starch to add temporary stong stability that will rinse out after the embroidery is complete. I concur that the fireworks design is more suited to a circular garment than the straight lines of the "aztec" geometrics, which would work okay on a gathered "dirndl" style skirt but would  be dfficult to adapt to the curved edges of a circle
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

ljh

• Paid Member
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 12:29:52 AM »

You should also test your embroidery threads for color fastness if you are using dark colors on a light background.  Even really good quality threads in the darker shades (I'm looking at you, Red) can bleed when wet.  You don't want to deal with that.
Linda

SeeDesignMake

• Paid Member
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 11:08:07 AM »

Thanks for all the advice. There is so much I haven't thought of! Especially the obvious matter of trying to fit a linear pattern to a circle!

Fabric Mart Fabrics Style Arc Sewing Patterns Put Your Ad Here
Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here