Stitcher's Guild Reloaded

Advanced search  

News:

To reply to a private message, you must login to the forums and use the messaging system.  If you attempt to answer the email notification, it just bounces to me.

Author Topic: Pet screen  (Read 702 times)

vtmartha

• Paid Member
Pet screen
« on: March 08, 2018, 01:04:33 AM »

Has anyone had any experience sewing pet screen?  Iím pretty sure Patti B. has - is there a way to Ďtagí people?  Iím playing around with it, sewing a bag to contain all my Velcro rolls, and Iím finding it hard to manage.  Any searching Iíve done says that sewing it is Ďeasyí and makes no special recommendations.  Iím having trouble sewing a straight line and keeping it feeding evenly.  Iíve increased the presser foot pressure but havenít tried any optional feet.  Itís going together okay but not with the sort of results I would take out in public.  Iíve sewn lighter weight screening before to make screen curtains.  I didnít have as much trouble with sewing it but it rips fairly easily.

Garden Girl

• Paid Member
  • Middle California
Re: Pet screen
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 02:26:29 AM »

Martha, I've not used it but have several quilty friends that have. They've used it at group sewing days and there was no swearing that I recall. They did all say it was super easy to sew.

I'll be seeing a couple of them on Monday next, so if you don't get excellent advice before then I'll bring you what I can find out.

I did find online to use a 75/11 sharp needle. Rather than increase the pressure on the foot I would try a walking foot, Teflon or roller foot. I'd be inclined to use a slightly longer stitch length and of course poly thread. Maybe even just a different width presser, both wider and more narrow. The videos I watched made it look easy as pie. But, pie ain't always easy.

vtmartha

• Paid Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 02:36:46 AM »

Thanks, Rene.  If you learn anything good, please pass it along.  The piece Iím working on is fairly large and itís the sewing of the screen to fabric that gives me the most trouble.  Maybe I need to sew on the screen side, rather than the fabric side, although with the way the fabric slides around under the foot, I feel I need to sew on the Ďpublicí side.  I donít think the Teflon foot would help but the walking one might.  As no one else has described this as a difficult sew, I figured I must be overlooking something simple.

bessiecrocker

• Paid Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 08:07:49 AM »

there's a thread about this on SG classic. PattiB is the expert, as I also recall.

Garden Girl

• Paid Member
  • Middle California
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 11:11:01 PM »

Martha, I'll check with my Peeps Monday. Meantime I'll see if I can find my leftover petscreen. I redid a window last year, one that the cats would bother in the office. It's great in it's intended use, just needed a smaller spline for inserting it into the frame. If I locate it I'll try it in my machine, both screen to screen and screen to quilt cotton, but that will be Monday as well. Is the fabric you are sewing to heavier?

Lisa

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 01:53:13 AM »

Has anyone had any experience sewing pet screen?  Iím pretty sure Patti B. has - is there a way to Ďtagí people? 

Hi Martha,

Not entirely sure what you want to do...  You can search "Members" (in the link bar at the top of the page (Home, Help, Search Profile, My Messages, Calendar, Gallery, Members and LogOut) to find their profile and send them a PM.  Or you can look at all of their posts.  Or you can search for something in particular in their posts.   And you can do all of that either here, or on SG Classic.

Let me know what you have in mind, and we can help. ;) ;D

Lisa

vtmartha

• Paid Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 12:10:29 PM »

Hi Lisa.  Like in Facebook, where you can draw someoneís attention to a post by essentially linking them to it.  I donít think youíre set up to do that but there have been a few times I thought it would be handy.

Rene, I would describe the fabric Iím using as a medium weight canvas.  I once sewed a screen curtain by framing a fiberglass screen panel with Sunbrella.  It looked great but ripped easily.  Iíd like to try replacing the fiberglass with pet screen, once I get the hang of sewing it.

bessiecrocker

• Paid Member
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 12:40:32 PM »

here's the SG classic thread, not all that much info except that it says it is easy to sew with!

http://artisanssquare.com/sg_classic/index.php/topic,20249.msg323954.html#msg323954

If the big problem is slippage, I would try to use wonder clips to hold your fabric together.

http://www.clover-usa.com/en/sewing-and-quilting/105-wonder-clips-50-pieces.html

if you don't have any wonder clips, try just clamping them with binder clips. https://www.amazon.com/ACC72100-Large-Binder-Clips-Innovera/dp/B002VD6BLG

I'd also just try to use glue stick and temporarily hold the fabric together. Also try that double sided sewing tape: Fusi-web? Not the kind that needs to be ironed, the kind you peel off the cover tape and it just sticks. That stuff should work pretty well.

also, if your screen in next to the machine plate, it may not have enough glide. (Or do you think it moves around too much?) Try putting a piece of paper or tear away interfacing under it -- to prevent "grab --or this might help increase it too.  I would try decreasing the pressure foot pressure, rather than increasing it. I think the problem is that your screen isn't sliding easily enough against the feed dogs. Walking foot should also help.

vtmartha

• Paid Member
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 02:08:07 PM »

Thanks, Bessie!  Yes, slippage is the issue.  Iím using clips.  I just discovered them recently and love them.  But, Iím stitching a 1/2Ē seam and I need to practically mangle it to keep it going straight.  I tried paper underneath.  That made things worse for me.  I will try decreasing the presser foot pressure.  That had occurred to me.  Think I will dig out my walking foot next.  The bag I am making is coming together and the worst stitching is hidden.  However, I would like to perfect my technique so that I can feel comfortable going ahead with the screen curtains.  I think when I did the earlier version I had fabric on both sides of the screen, which was also much lighter weight.

Patti B

• Paid Member
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2018, 09:35:54 PM »

Vtmartha, I just sewed some samples to see if I had trouble wrestling the canvas and pet screen. Alas? No problems with slippage or general cranky-ness. I would use Wonder Tape or the similar basting tape if I did have issues. I've sewn lots of pet screen on both Bernina and Janome (don't know if that info helps any). But you will not have beautiful seams when sewing pet screen; it's just the nature of the beast. In the samples, I used a heavy 20 oz. hemp canvas and pet screen. You can see how the stitch follows the fabric bumps. Best solution I have found is to match the thread to the screen and then ignore it! The first sample is obviously the canvas side and you can see the not-so-lovely seams. For needles, I used a 70, 90, 90, and then 80. I liked the 70 least but YMMV. The second sample shows the mesh side with the gap between 70 and 90 being a 90 needle with matching thread. Do your seams look like these? Hope this helps but post more questions and I'll try to help. BTW, I guess my standards for seams aren't very high! I wouldn't be happy with these seams on other sewing but for my crafty pet screen projects, I just blithely ignore the wobbliness.

vtmartha

• Paid Member
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2018, 10:58:54 PM »

Thanks, Patti!  That was extremely helpful!  My seams are a bit more wobbly than yours but I think Iím improving.  I had read to use a sharp needle so I replaced the (probably dull by now) needle of unknown type with an 80 jeans needle and that seemed to help.  Iíve grown rather attached to the bag I created to hold my rolls of Velcro.  Making it up as I went along made it into more of carpentry project than sewing.  Thanks again for taking the time to run all those examples for me!  I love the plaid!

Garden Girl

• Paid Member
  • Middle California
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2018, 11:13:26 PM »

Patti, more thanks for the samples.

Now, another question. Where did you find the plaid pet screen. I've sourced lots of solid colors but hadn't seen plaid. That I love.

Martha, we are going to want to see photos of your Velcro container bag when you are done.

Patti B

• Paid Member
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2018, 03:15:51 AM »

Martha and Garden Girl, you are welcome for the samples. I'll keep them for my ASG demo next month. I too will be looking for your velcro storage bag, vtmartha. Pet screen is so amenable to little projects -- I have scrap collectors for cutting tables, little baskets for miscellany, makeup bags, wallets, purse organizers plus the large totes. Surprisingly, you can do nice French seams with pet screen.

Garden Girl, the plaid was a random find at a small shop in a small town in Oregon about 6 years ago; long gone no doubt. I bought it mainly because it was about $3/yd!

Seattle Fabrics has a pretty good selection of Phifertex including one sort of plaid design.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 03:20:53 AM by Patti B »

Fabric Mart Fabrics Style Arc Sewing Patterns Put Your Ad Here
Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here