Stitcher's Guild Reloaded

Advanced search  

News:

Feeling a little lost here on the "Reloaded" board?  All the old threads are still available on SG Classic, including the ever popular "Forum Decorum" thread; a huge variety of mini tutorials and how-tos for making SG's format work for you.
http://artisanssquare.com/sg_classic/index.php/topic,124.0.html

Author Topic: Rigid Heddle loom  (Read 1770 times)

ljh

• Paid Member
Re: Rigid Heddle loom
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2018, 11:22:40 PM »

Gosh you people are great!  One more question.  I don't seem to be able to locate a used Kromski so I am going to buy a new one, but can you recommend a reliable seller.  The two I've researched are Woolery in Frankfurt, Kentucky and Pacific Wool and Fiber in Oregon.

Any preference?  I'm leaning toward the Woolery because they seem to have the most traffic.

I haven't done business with either of those companies.  The Woolery has been around for for quite some time, though the ownership has changed a few times.

I believe Halcyon Yarn (in Maine) carries Kromski products.  I've bought from them for decades (way too many decades...) and can recommend them.
Linda

ambimom

• Paid Member
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2018, 02:21:48 PM »

Update on my rigid heddle adventure plus a newbie question....

It's been hell figuring the warping but I found an online warping calculator which has made the math a lot easier.  I'm still working out the kinks, but I see definite improvement.  It's not perfect but I'm making progress. 

My issue is that I live alone and have no one to pull the warp while I wind onto the back beam.  I'm finding that I can manage to get the tension right on maybe 75% of the warp, but the remaining 25% is much too loose.  If I try to wind the beam tighter it just unwinds everything.  The pawl just releases.  I'm able to weave by using pickup sticks to open the sheds.

I have to indirect warp because I have mobility issues that preclude direct warping.  I don't have the space anyway.  I use a warping board [which I'm also trying to master but that's getting easier too.]

What do you do if you have no one to help you tension the warp when you roll it onto the back beam?

angelsweb

• Paid Member
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2018, 03:58:15 PM »

Update on my rigid heddle adventure plus a newbie question....

It's been hell figuring the warping but I found an online warping calculator which has made the math a lot easier.  I'm still working out the kinks, but I see definite improvement.  It's not perfect but I'm making progress. 

My issue is that I live alone and have no one to pull the warp while I wind onto the back beam.  I'm finding that I can manage to get the tension right on maybe 75% of the warp, but the remaining 25% is much too loose.  If I try to wind the beam tighter it just unwinds everything.  The pawl just releases.  I'm able to weave by using pickup sticks to open the sheds.

I have to indirect warp because I have mobility issues that preclude direct warping.  I don't have the space anyway.  I use a warping board [which I'm also trying to master but that's getting easier too.]

What do you do if you have no one to help you tension the warp when you roll it onto the back beam?

One possibility is to warp from front to back using a box and weight(s).

1. After threading the heddle, pull the warp through and tie on to the back beam.
2. Place your warp chain in a cardboard box on the floor a distance in front of the loom and place weights on the warp chain. You need something that weighs enough to give you resistance as you wind the warp on the back beam, but not so heavy that the box won't slide across the floor toward the loom.
3. Wind on until the box is close to the front of the loom, and then unchain some more warp and move the box back away from the loom.

This technique is from a book called "Warping by Yourself" by Cay Garrett. It's aimed at floor loom weavers, but it should work fine for rigid heddles as well.

Hope this helps.

Angelia 

ambimom

• Paid Member
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2018, 10:09:35 PM »

Hmmm.  That makes a lot of sense!  I'll try it.  I've got 3 lb cans of coffee that might work.  Thanks!

ljh

• Paid Member
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2018, 02:38:49 PM »

Ambimom, I'm happy to hear you have your loom and are making progress with it.
If you aren't on Ravelry, you might join.  They have groups for rigid heddle looms and will probably be able to provide both advice and inspiration.
Linda

ambimom

• Paid Member
« Reply #40 on: Yesterday at 08:43:12 PM »

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ambimom/40431689120/in/dateposted-public/

Wanted to show my progress.  Two placemats.  You can't see my mistakes, but I'm learning.  :cheers:

angelsweb

• Paid Member
« Reply #41 on: Yesterday at 09:55:12 PM »

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ambimom/40431689120/in/dateposted-public/

Wanted to show my progress.  Two placemats.  You can't see my mistakes, but I'm learning.  :cheers:

They look great!

fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: Today at 01:57:39 AM »

Nice job!

Kathryn
My blog: I Made This! at http://imadethis-asewingblog.blogspot.com/
Flickr Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72428033@N00/albums

2018 Dress a Month count:

Fabric Mart Fabrics Style Arc Sewing Patterns Put Your Ad Here
Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here