Stitcher's Guild Reloaded

Advanced search  

News:

Using three or more URLs in one post may cause a "Forbidden" error.  To help prevent problems, try to remember to "copy" your post before you hit "preview" or "send" so if you get an error you can simply "paste" your words to try again.  Most posts do go through after a few tries.

Author Topic: Folkwear Patterns  (Read 1920 times)

CCL

• Paid Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
Folkwear Patterns
« on: March 02, 2018, 03:30:06 PM »

Since I recently purchased a folkwear pattern, I have been getting their emails again.   It appears that the long-time illustrator- Gretchen Shields - of their iconic pattern illustrations is retiring, after 50 years of doing the drawings for them.   I have only three Folkwear patterns, but now it feels as if I should acquire some of the illustrator's favorites.

Here's the link to her website: Gretchen Shields homepage

And the link to the Folkwear page

I so love the illustrations.

Lisanne

• Paid Member
  • southern England
Re: Folkwear Patterns
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 04:12:52 PM »

Yes, it will be a challenging feat to find a replacement style of cover illustration as enticing as all those !
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

vtmartha

• Paid Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 07:35:33 PM »

I purchased several Folkwear patterns in the pre internet era.  It never occurred to me they had a website.   Very nice!  I think I might need the Metropolitan Hat Pattern.  ;)

marciae

• Paid Member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 09:33:49 PM »

Oh, Martha - I thought the same thing about the hat!  I never, or very rarely wear a hat, but I sure want that one!??

KarenDee

• Paid Member
  • SIgnal Mountain, Tn.
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 12:47:33 AM »

Thanks for sharing this site with us, CCL. Many beautiful patterns and other items discussed.

Karendee

sdBev

• Paid Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 06:18:19 AM »

Oh, Martha - I thought the same thing about the hat!  I never, or very rarely wear a hat, but I sure want that one!??
oh yes definitely want that one.   I wear hats in the winter my ears get cold.
sdBev

Joyce P

• Paid Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 06:15:35 AM »

I am smitten by the Metropolitan suit! Realistically, it would look like he!! on me, so maybe that hat is a better bet ;-) I don't know, though... just went back and looked at the suit. That jacket!!! Dang!

Garden Girl

• Paid Member
  • Middle California
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 09:12:18 AM »

I love their patterns. I started getting them in the early 70's. I took a design class from Susan Morrison, I think that was her name, and she was an early wearable arts person. She introduced us to all the wonderful ethnic patterns that were hard to come by yet so fashionable at that time.

One set I loved was the Chinese Jacket and the now OOP skirt pattern. The skirt had front & back lined panels that hung down and pleated sections on the sides. It is shown here with the jacket on the left.

Yes, the Metropolitan Suit is swoon worthy. The Metro Middy Blouse as well. I've had a hat like that; it is a good style. I think my pattern is from Vogue. I liked the Traveling Suit as well.

kushami

• Paid Member
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 08:44:16 AM »

I've got two or three Folkwear patterns. I too love the illustrations

On another note, I'd love to see photos/reviews here (or on people's blogs). I know they have a customer photo gallery on the website, but I'm spoiled by the detailed reviews and multiple photos we can get now in a well-written blog post.

Edited to add: Just found CCL's lovely shirt over on the shirtmaking thread:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/104062052@N04/sets/72157692036394761

Also, just visited the website and see it has been revamped with helpful sample photos. They read my mind!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 09:48:31 AM by kushami »

kushami

• Paid Member
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 09:44:31 AM »

Just checked my stash. I have the Smoking Jacket and the Tibetan Chupa. I bought the chupa because I like wrap/apron dresses but need darts. The smoking jacket I'll probably make it for a friend sometime, or maybe me to keep warm more glamorously in my old house.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 09:46:49 AM by kushami »

CCL

• Paid Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 01:18:17 PM »

Oh, I never looked at the Tibetan chupa until your post Kushami! What a great summer around the house dress that pattern would make.  I wonder how it would be in a shirting cotton?  Probably a little too lightweight.   So many possibilities...it might be great in a woolen to go over sweater and tights.  I might just have to pick that one up... if you end up making it, maybe we could do a Folkwear sew along and see if anyone wants to join us.

I have also been tempted by the Hong Kong cheongsam and the Vietnamese ao dai - sigh, I already have more patterns than I will ever sew.

kushami

• Paid Member
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2018, 01:09:00 AM »

Oh, I never looked at the Tibetan chupa until your post Kushami! What a great summer around the house dress that pattern would make.  I wonder how it would be in a shirting cotton?  Probably a little too lightweight.   So many possibilities...it might be great in a woolen to go over sweater and tights.  I might just have to pick that one up... if you end up making it, maybe we could do a Folkwear sew along and see if anyone wants to join us.

Seeing it made up in the nice photos now on the Folkwear site reminded why I thought it would be a good choice. I am going to try to make a test of the skirt today, although the weather here in southern Australia is unseasonably hot this week so I might not get round to it.

I think shirting would be nice, as long as it wasn't see through. And I love the striking print they used for the skirt. My first version will probably be in a nice but boring grey or dark blue linen. Fingers crossed (there are no buttonholes!).

CCL

• Paid Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2018, 12:03:19 PM »

Kushami, how did your test of the skirt go?   I have settled on the chupa and the Vietnamese ao dai and will be purchasing them today.  I just realized that the three Folkwear patterns I already own were purchased for Better Half (bush jacket and Missouri  River driver shirt) or male friend (French cheesemaker shirt).  These will be the very first ones for me.

I have a number of things in the pipeline because I really intend to finish this year's swap, but it would be fun to interrupt that sewing with a shirting fabric chupa. 

kushami

• Paid Member
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2018, 07:10:22 AM »

Kushami, how did your test of the skirt go?

I haven't quite got round to it yet, but hopefully I'll find time in the next day or two. Our only "spreading out" table for pattern cutting is in the kitchen and I seem to have been cooking curry non-stop to use up a big vegie shop. I'll report back as soon as I give it a try.

There is one review on PR in the meantime:
https://sewing.patternreview.com/Patterns/9289

CCL

• Paid Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2018, 10:31:34 PM »

I ended up ordering the Ao Dai  and the Chupa patterns.   They arrived last week and I just now got around to looking at the instructions for the Chupa pattern.   I have some green and navy striped cotton shirting that I think would be fun to make up in it.   I have a couple other projects in the pipeline before I can get to it, but I keep thinking the Chupa looks as if it would be a great summer dress by itself - wonderful for working in the garden -- and then as a jumper / pinafore in the winter over a turtleneck and tights.

kushami

• Paid Member
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2018, 07:10:23 AM »

I ended up ordering the Ao Dai  and the Chupa patterns.   They arrived last week and I just now got around to looking at the instructions for the Chupa pattern.   I have some green and navy striped cotton shirting that I think would be fun to make up in it.   I have a couple other projects in the pipeline before I can get to it, but I keep thinking the Chupa looks as if it would be a great summer dress by itself - wonderful for working in the garden -- and then as a jumper / pinafore in the winter over a turtleneck and tights.

Striped shirting sounds lovely. I am aiming for a plain linen (so I don't have to worry about pattern matching!). I am currently distracted by making a basic wool skirt, but hope to get the kitchen table leaves folded out soon.

CCL

• Paid Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2018, 10:17:27 PM »

Finished tracing the Folkwear Chupa yesterday.  Hope to get it cut out this weekend.  I am going to make the shorter version.  Hoping it will be a fun and different kind of sewing. 

kushami

• Paid Member
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2018, 02:54:19 AM »

Finished tracing the Folkwear Chupa yesterday.  Hope to get it cut out this weekend.  I am going to make the shorter version.  Hoping it will be a fun and different kind of sewing.

Look forward to seeing it! I am going to have access to a large table in a meeting room for a few afternoons soon, and will use the opportunity to trace and muslin a few things.

fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2018, 12:24:19 PM »

Of course I had to see what that Chupa pattern looked like, CCL.

Looks like a fun sew!

Kathryn
My blog: I Made This! at http://imadethis-asewingblog.blogspot.com/
Flickr Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72428033@N00/albums

2018 Dress a Month count:

CCL

• Paid Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2018, 11:26:33 PM »

I am aiming for a plain linen (so I don't have to worry about pattern matching!). I am currently distracted by making a basic wool skirt, but hope to get the kitchen table leaves folded out soon.

Small progress on the chupa...I decided not to worry about pattern matching much even though it's a stripe.  I am thinking with the wrap skirt, it won't make too much difference and the bands are at an angle so can't do much there.  I am about halfway cutting it out, but will have to quit for the evening - will leave the cutting table up.  Here's the oxford cloth striped shirting I am using for this first trial.

folkwear-plus-fabric by CCL photos, on Flickr

CCL

• Paid Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2018, 12:18:04 PM »

Still very slowly making headway on the chupa in little bits and drabs...lots of stuff going on in real life that is taking priority.  But I did finish cutting out and marking darts etc.  Read through the instructions a couple of times last night.  Hopefully I will be ready to start sewing this weekend.

ETA:  Some notes, Kushami, in case you end up making this.  I stole some time today and stitched in the darts on the front and the front underlayer.  I decided to use the tracing wheel and marking paper to mark the curved darts (usually, I use tailor tacks as I don't like stressing the fabric with the tracing wheel).  But having the exact marking really helped get those curved darts stitched more accurately - at least for me.  Won't be able to sew much on it until the weekend, but glad to have finally put a stitch or two into the fabric and feel as if I am on my way.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 12:31:42 AM by CCL »

kushami

• Paid Member
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2018, 08:18:59 AM »

Still very slowly making headway on the chupa in little bits and drabs...lots of stuff going on in real life that is taking priority.  But I did finish cutting out and marking darts etc.  Read through the instructions a couple of times last night.  Hopefully I will be ready to start sewing this weekend.

ETA:  Some notes, Kushami, in case you end up making this.  I stole some time today and stitched in the darts on the front and the front underlayer.  I decided to use the tracing wheel and marking paper to mark the curved darts (usually, I use tailor tacks as I don't like stressing the fabric with the tracing wheel).  But having the exact marking really helped get those curved darts stitched more accurately - at least for me.  Won't be able to sew much on it until the weekend, but glad to have finally put a stitch or two into the fabric and feel as if I am on my way.

Ooh, thanks for the tip on the curved darts I always struggle with tailor tacks, so I might adopt that method! I try my best to sew them neatly, but by the time I get the pattern separated and go to sew things up, the straggly bits of thread never seem accurate. I have a tracing wheel and some waxed paper somewhere that I've never used so I will have to search it out.

CCL

• Paid Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2018, 04:12:11 PM »

Ooh, thanks for the tip on the curved darts I always struggle with tailor tacks, so I might adopt that method! I try my best to sew them neatly, but by the time I get the pattern separated and go to sew things up, the straggly bits of thread never seem accurate.

I learned a trick here at Stitchers Guild in a post by Ann Rowley - now I use embroidery floss for my tailor tacks.  Hope that helps. 

Still, I do like how exact the tracing wheel + waxed color tracing paper worked.  I know the chalked kind is supposedly better and I have some, but the chalk doesn't seem to hang around long enough for me to get the accuracy.

kowgiirl.up

• Paid Member
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2018, 04:47:47 PM »

Still, I do like how exact the tracing wheel + waxed color tracing paper worked.  I know the chalked kind is supposedly better and I have some, but the chalk doesn't seem to hang around long enough for me to get the accuracy.

I have the same problem with the chalk. I prefer the tracing wheel with tracing paper or sometimes I use the soap trick that I found here on SG.
Theresa

Runs with scissors

fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: Yesterday at 03:30:46 PM »

Ooh, thanks for the tip on the curved darts I always struggle with tailor tacks, so I might adopt that method! I try my best to sew them neatly, but by the time I get the pattern separated and go to sew things up, the straggly bits of thread never seem accurate.

I learned a trick here at Stitchers Guild in a post by Ann Rowley - now I use embroidery floss for my tailor tacks.  Hope that helps. 

For marking using tailor's tacks, I like to use elastic thread because it really grips the fabric (even slippery stuff) and doesn't fall out. You can order it from Nancy's Notions, among other places.

Kathryn
My blog: I Made This! at http://imadethis-asewingblog.blogspot.com/
Flickr Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72428033@N00/albums

2018 Dress a Month count:

Debbie S

• Paid Member
« Reply #25 on: Yesterday at 03:54:20 PM »

What a great idea, Kathryn!  My understanding of TT is to use two strand of some sort thread and take a stitch through both pieces of fabric so both TT are in the identical position. Do you do the same with the elastic thread, and still no damage to fabrics?  Have you uses it on silks?

Fabric Mart Fabrics Style Arc Sewing Patterns Put Your Ad Here
Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here