Stitcher's Guild Reloaded

Advanced search  

News:

Using three or more URLs in one post may cause a "Forbidden" error.  To help prevent problems, try to remember to "copy" your post before you hit "preview" or "send" so if you get an error you can simply "paste" your words to try again.  Most posts do go through after a few tries.

Author Topic: Quilting with Rulers  (Read 781 times)

Linda75142

• Paid Member
    • Seams Well - my blog
Quilting with Rulers
« on: March 01, 2018, 12:16:13 PM »

I'm beginning to dip my toes in using rulers to quilt.  I have the proper foot (had to order) and one ruler (one of Angela Walters true grid) and have played just a bit.

Anyone else been using rulers?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 09:59:16 PM by Linda75142 »

Susan in Saint John

• Paid Member
Re: Quilting with Rulers
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 09:14:46 PM »

I am embarrassed to say I received the ruler foot for my Bernina almost a year ago as a birthday present and I bought some rulers at QuiltCon last February.  I've watched a couple of craftsy classes but that's as far as I've got.  I have really lost interest in quilting.  I'd rather sew garments -- not doing much of that either.

Linda75142

• Paid Member
    • Seams Well - my blog
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 10:02:45 PM »

Looks like we are just the opposite with our MOJO right now, Susan.  I've lost MOJO for sewing garments for a while now.  Have been making some quilts for a couple of children's hospitals, so that mojo has revved up for now.  Who knows how long it will last......only time will tell!  Received some precut fabrics and Aurafil (SP?) from a Craftsy order today.  Took advantage of some the Clearance fabrics.

Melinda_B

• Paid Member
    • Better Than I Planned
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 04:45:24 AM »

*scratches head* how else would you quilt if you don't use rulers?  Am I missing something here?
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

Linda75142

• Paid Member
    • Seams Well - my blog
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 01:03:52 PM »

*scratches head* how else would you quilt if you don't use rulers?  Am I missing something here?

Using rulers while free motion quilting; not to cut anything.  Google 'quilting with rulers' and you will find all sorts of "how to" videos.  Hope that helps!

Susan in Saint John

• Paid Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 03:51:36 PM »

I am making myself throw out some ratty placemats.  I have a quilting stash that needs to be either used or donated.  Placemats might be a good project to trying out free motion quilting using rulers.  Also to practice machine sewn bindings.

Melinda_B, Long arm quilters use rulers for stitching straight and curved lines.  The sewing machine companies have been transferring this technology to mid arm quilting machines and now to domestic sewing machines.  The rulers are thicker than the quilting rulers used for rotary cutting and the foot is much thicker than a usual free motion foot so you can guide it along the ruler.

Melinda_B

• Paid Member
    • Better Than I Planned
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 11:44:30 PM »

Using rulers while free motion quilting; not to cut anything.  Google 'quilting with rulers' and you will find all sorts of "how to" videos.  Hope that helps!

Melinda_B, Long arm quilters use rulers for stitching straight and curved lines.  The sewing machine companies have been transferring this technology to mid arm quilting machines and now to domestic sewing machines.  The rulers are thicker than the quilting rulers used for rotary cutting and the foot is much thicker than a usual free motion foot so you can guide it along the ruler. 

Thanks for the information, I'm off to google.  I love this forum, I learn so much every time I come on here.
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

Meg

• Paid Member
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 05:29:21 PM »

Melinda,
While I don't quilt prolifically, I do enjoy machine quilting (on a domestic machine).  I have never used rulers to guide my quilting, but I stitch in the ditch and do a lot of FMQ.  Things work out better for me than to try rulers at this time.  Machine quilting is where my free-wheeling hippy tendencies come out to play!

Garden Girl

• Paid Member
  • Middle California
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 05:25:49 AM »

Craftsy Unlimited has a class on Quilting With Rulers on a Home Machine. I've not tried it yet.

If you look on the Craftsy page here at SG there is a special through Wed PM for a 14 day trial of CU for $1 US. I posted a link earlier. Also, if there are any class materials you can download them.  ;D

Melinda, back in the Dark Ages of sewing, there were no quilting rulers. Or rotary cutters. Mid 70's as a young woman I thought I'd make a log cabin quilt and bought a new book at a quilt shop. Opened it later and was chagrined to learn that you cut cardboard templates for each piece to trace then cut with your scissors. Umm, no. I still haven't made a log cabin quilt, but if I get to one it will be rotary cut and strip pieced, thank you very much. Rotary cutters and rulers for them revolutionized quilting.

Fabric Mart Fabrics Style Arc Sewing Patterns Put Your Ad Here
Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here