Stitcher's Guild Reloaded

Advanced search  

News:

To purchase a subscription to SG for yourself: go to your profile, and click the "actions" tab.  It will take you to the subscription module, where you can follow the prompts.  Leave the "recurring payments" box empty, or it won't work. Finalizing the transaction is a manual process, so be patient; your account will be updated ASAP.

Author Topic: ruler repair  (Read 793 times)

bessiecrocker

• Paid Member
ruler repair
« on: February 25, 2018, 07:38:09 AM »

I saw this tip recently...it was new to me, so I thought I would pass it on.

You can fix broken acrylic sewing rulers using the glue that is used on acrylic nails. Glue, in small amounts, easily available from anyplace that sells cosmetics. Just apply a bit along the crack, press parts together and let it set. Good as new.

am I the only person who never before thought of doing this?

sewvt

• Paid Member
Re: ruler repair
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 03:19:08 PM »

I used super glue on one at least 10 years ago and it's still holding.  Is that a similar thing?

Debbie S

• Paid Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 04:19:29 PM »

Bessiecrocker, first I have heard of using acrylic nail glue. Hope to never need it, but filing this in the “who knew” file just in case. Thanks.

Off topic, I have been thinking about you, hope you are feeling well and mending nicely post surgery!

bessiecrocker

• Paid Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 08:02:45 AM »

Off topic, I have been thinking about you, hope you are feeling well and mending nicely post surgery!

Debbie, really kind of you! I am doing exceptionally well. I intend to report an update on my Swap thread...soon.  :) Am currently sewing at high speed to reach my self-imposed end of Feb. Swap goals.

Judith

• Paid Member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 04:33:07 PM »

Excellent timing. My go to ruler, probably 20 years old, fell on the floor yesterday and cracked. I’ll shop for acrylic nail glue today. Thank you
Judith
People are generally as happy as they allow themselves to be. Abraham Lincoln

fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 01:15:46 PM »

Thanks for the tip, bessiecrocker. So far my rulers are intact, but one never knows. Gravity lurks.

Sewvt, I've seldom had anything hold well for the long term using superglue. I've tried time and again but the stuff just doesn't seem to stand the test of time, at least with the materials I tried to use it on (earring settings, broken glass or china, etc.) Good to know it works so well on acrylic.

Kathryn
My blog: I Made This! at http://imadethis-asewingblog.blogspot.com/
Flickr Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72428033@N00/albums

2018 Dress a Month count:

sewvt

• Paid Member
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 01:31:05 PM »

Fzxdoc, that ruler broke around the time the first stuff came out.  Many people glued their fingers together and then actually ended up in the ER because they didn't know how to un-glue them.  I remember I wore gloves to use it! 

I picked up a tube of superglue at the drugstore recently, for the first time in forever.  It failed to glue resin to resin in spite of what the package said.  It did say "made in China" in very fine print - different formulation?  If I break another ruler, I'll go with the nail glue.  :)

fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 01:37:52 PM »

Good to know I haven't been glue-challenged in my superglue attempts, sewvt. Perhaps the formulation has indeed changed. :)

Kathryn

Garden Girl

• Paid Member
  • Middle California
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 11:04:59 PM »

My go to cyanoacrylate glue is Zap-a-gap, made by the Superglue Corporation. It even works on oily surfaces. It has a wicking ability, so fills in gaps nicely. I learned about it from some guys who flew gas powered model airplanes. If they crashed, and they did, they could just wipe the surface a bit, add glue and in minutes were back in the air awaiting their next crash.

Kathryn, et al, little known fact is that the cyanoacrylates, Superglue etc, have a really short shelf life. From manufacture it's roughly 12 to 15 months, unopened, if kept refrigerated. Bring to room temp before using. After opening it's generally only 30 days. Do not return to fridge, as condensation can get inside and weaken it further. I think that's in miniscule fine print on the packages, not the bottles. Or it might say see website for details.  ;D

Most bonding failure is due to operator error, by using older already opened bottles.

We used to have fairly good luck with the Zap-a-gap, slipping it into a ziploc bag and refrigerating it. It would still work well for about a year after opening, but I was using it on 1" scale miniatures mostly, so they weren't roughly handled.

Using the nail glue is a great way to get a small quantity. Superglue does sell multipacks of tiny dispensers, but people tend to buy a bigger bottle as it seems like a better value. I haven't compared prices against the nail glue.

fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 12:24:48 PM »

Kathryn, et al, little known fact is that the cyanoacrylates, Superglue etc, have a really short shelf life. From manufacture it's roughly 12 to 15 months, unopened, if kept refrigerated. Bring to room temp before using. After opening it's generally only 30 days. Do not return to fridge, as condensation can get inside and weaken it further. I think that's in miniscule fine print on the packages, not the bottles. Or it might say see website for details.  ;D

Most bonding failure is due to operator error, by using older already opened bottles.

Thanks for that info, Rene. According to that, the Superglue I've bought expressly for certain repairs was probably already dead on the vendor's shelf.  I had come to distrust Superglue so much that I only bought it when needed. Now I never buy it.

Kathryn

Fabric Mart Fabrics Style Arc Sewing Patterns Put Your Ad Here
Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here