Stitcher's Guild Reloaded

Advanced search  

News:

To reply to a private message, you must login to the forums and use the messaging system.  If you attempt to answer the email notification, it just bounces to me.

Author Topic: Spring 2018 6PAC (Six Piece Collection) - Sew Along 1st Feb - 30 April 2018  (Read 2472 times)

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member

In Feb 2014 Elizabeth (ejvc) wrote

Spring is in the air, my fellow sewing friends!  You can tell from the friendly frost flowers left by the Polar Vortex.

OK, so it may not feel like spring but come those first warm days you will be glad you started on your lovely six-piece wardrobe.  When everyone else is still wearing grey wool, you'll look charmingly fresh in your home couture.

This sew-along is open to everyone and contains a few suggestions to build a lovely mix-and-match spring wardrobe (or autumn wardrobe for those in the Southern Hemisphere).  The pieces you sew in this sew along are basics and the pace is intended to allow you to supplement with accessories and other garments as your fancy takes you.  But here, we look for the workhorse garments.

I suggest the following for maximum wearability:
Two overlayers (jackets or cardigans), one neutral and one colour
Two tops (blouses or knits), one toning neutral (ie tones with the other neutral, eg grey and black) and one toning colour
Two bottoms (skirt or trousers), both neutral

Imagine your neutral for spring is taupe and you choose teal as your colour.
You make a taupe linen jacket, a light natural linen blouse, a pair of taupe sateen trousers and a long linen skirt. You machine knit a teal cardigan and make a lighter teal knit blouse.

Or let's say you've heard persimmon is the Colour of the Year and you want to make a really casual spring collection so you choose denim as your neutral.
You make a denim-coloured zip hoodie, a light indigo knit top, some classic jeans and a jean skirt using a range of denims.  You add a handwoven persimmon vest and an alabama-chanin T embroidered all over with persimmons.

The point is to have fun and build your wardrobe so when you're called away for a spring weekend in Paris, you know just exactly what to pack.

here are the slightly different suggestions from 2013 if you prefer those:-

A 6PAC sewalong is a chance and a challenge to create six season-appropriate, basic garments that will add flexibility and longevity to your wardrobe.

I recommend two colours.  At least one but possibly both should be basic, dull, neutral colours (such as: brown, black, olive, navy, plum, grey, cream, white).  This is to expand their ability to work with the rest of your clothing.

I recommend basic patterns - ones that fit properly (or ones which you would like to fit properly).  Again this expands versatility.

I recommend the following formula, if you are in doubt about what to sew:
1 - dark neutral "jacket", cardigan, or "third layer"
2- dark neutral bottom
3 - dark neutral top (are you bored yet? But very useful)
4 - because it's spring - a coloured skirt
5 - because it's spring - a coloured top to match
6 - a print top that links the two colours together

2 bottoms, three tops, and a "jacket".

Get yourself some shoes that match the dark neutral.

I was a bit too keen, and started the thread in late jan instead of waiting.
Elizabeth has written a fantastic post on her blog all about this year's Spring 6PAC.
https://ejvc.wordpress.com/2018/02/01/spring-2018-6pac-sew-along-feb-apr/
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 05:03:46 PM by Sew Ruthie Sews »

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
Re: Spring 2018 6PAC (Six Piece Collection) - Sew Along
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 08:18:37 PM »

So following those guidelines, what would you want to sew?

Two overlayers (jackets or cardigans), one neutral and one colour
Two tops (blouses or knits), one toning neutral (ie tones with the other neutral, eg grey and black) and one toning colour
Two bottoms (skirt or trousers), both neutral

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 08:20:29 PM »

This year I'm really trying to stick to a simple colour palette

And as the Feb-April window falls within the SWAP timeframes I'll try to stick to what I think will be my SWAP colours, I'll share more later once I've had a bit more of a think.

Turquoise

• Paid Member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 08:34:14 PM »

Thanks for starting this Ruthie, I have found this 6PAC idea to be really useful.

For the Spring 6PAC I think it will be denim/blue as the neutral and lime/turquoise  as the colours. 

I doubt I will follow the idea of two neutral bottoms as skirts or trousers as I really want to make some spring/summer dresses, although I am tempted to make a denim skirt. We’ll see though as I can see how useful the capsule wardrobe idea is - needs more thought  :)

CCL

• Paid Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream

Thanks, Ruthie -- I am thinking pinks/magentas/ surprise!  teals.
Not sure how I am going to do all the sewing I am dreaming up for myself... but I am going to give it a go!

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member

Some really lovely sounding combinations already - wow.

If I think about what I really need in my wardrobe for Spring its things like smart trousers with pockets, cardigan jackets and knit tops.

I have more things planned in the brown and teal space so maybe I'd just continue with those.

Brown cardigan (sweater knit)
Brown teal print cardigan (sweater knit)

Brown trousers
Brown/copper skirt.

Brown and teal print top
Brown and teal lace top

Elephun

• Paid Member

I'll surely be participating! 

One item will be my black linen Tessuti Athina top for SWAP. I'm part way through it already. If I can decide on a gray fabric from my collection to sew another Athina from, that will be part of Spring 6PAC, and SWAP, as well.

I'd like to make the jacket from V1571 in a pretty olive green wool I've had for ages, so I'll need to start the pattern work and muslin process for that. It's not very spring-y, but what the heck.

I'm thinking a pair of pants like the ones in V1571 in black or navy would come next, though I'd probably use a Style Arc pattern.

I have several different plum/purple fabrics that I'd like to use, but I'm not finding patterns that I want to use them for. Maybe this Spring/Summer some new figure flattering patterns will come out.

This dress on the Russian Leko site is promising in terms of figure flattering on me. I may pick it up when it shows up on Lekala.com. It could look good (or really bad) on me, but there's no way I would ever find out without Lekala. I wouldn't ever do the pattern alterations to make a standard-sized pattern in this style to fit me. With Lekala, I can fairly quickly and inexpensively see if the style is something that works for me at all.

M lambie

• Paid Member

Thanks for posting this thread, Ruthie. :) I've been eagerly awaiting the spring 6PAC.

Although this set of guidelines probably suits my wardrobe needs well, I'll be doing a slightly different assortment. Basically, I've been overwhelmed by the SWAP color rules vs. suitable fabrics I actually have, so I decided last week that I'd do part of my SWAP as a spring 6PAC and then decide the rest after. SO my set will be a little closer to 2013's spring 6PAC (1 layer, 3 tops, 2 bottoms). Mainly this is because I can't decide what color my 2nd SWAP layer will be.

Colors are black & navy. I chose the fabric/garment combinations that I'm most excited about and voila, that's a 6PAC. If I figure out the 2nd cardi color, that will be a 7PAC instead. ;)

Black cotton jersey crop cardi
Black linen dress
Black plaid linen/cotton dress
Navy linen dress
Navy/black cotton plaid skirt
Black linen skirt

My plan isn't nearly so colorful as some others! ;D

Elephun, that is an elegant dress pattern.

Ruthie, you must have a lot of brown and teal fabrics! :) I'm curious to see what garments you'll sew next.

CCL, those are pretty colors and should make a fun 6PAC, especially for spring.

Turquoise
, those are great colors, too! Looking forward to seeing how your plan evolves.

Garden Girl

• Paid Member
  • Middle California

Thanks Ruthie! I do hope our Dear Ms E. will be along to join us on our next adventure.

To any of you new to our little endeavor here, if the break down of suggested garments doesn't work for your climate or lifestyle, feel free to adapt to suit your personal needs. We are all about inclusion and encouraging one another to create some basic workhorses for your wardrobe. Or a total flight of whimsy if that is where your Muse takes you.

Winter was a flop for me. Locally, Spring has sprung. By Feb 1, a few brief days away we will see daytime highs in the 70-75 F, 21-24 C range and mostly at the higher end of it. Sweater season has flown the coop.

I don't know quite what it is I'll be sewing, but in warm weather I typically sew & wear some sort of cropped pant. This year I'm leaning toward a more streamlined silhouette, to go along with mine.  :) Consequently I need to trial out a couple of patterns for pants, then determine what tops work best with them, on me. I may end up with 3 tops & 3 pants.

The only fabric I know that I want to use is this Peppered cotton stripe by Pepper Cory from Studio E fabrics. It will set the tone for the 6 PAC. It's a premium quilting cotton, so on the heavier side, and is a woven stripe, so really nice. Stripes are a precise 1/4" wide. It has a lovely hand. It's supposed to be pants, but I bought what was left on the bolt, 3 1/2 yards, so it may want to be something else. I got it this week, 75% off, from my beloved local quilt shop that closed yesterday after 40 years in business. I thought they closed at the end of December but they paid for an extra month to sell things off.

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member

I've popped the 2013 guidelines at the top if anyone else is interested in them.

yes I have a lot of teal and brown, however as I tend to do single (or restricted colours) sewing I last did brown in 2015, and full on teal was 2009 so it feels like I'm due a good injection of those colours.

(teal/turquoise has featured as coloured items in another collection but not very strongly)

Some of the fabric is fairly recently acquired, but some has been in the resources for a long time. As my hair is darkish brown and my eyes contain multiple colours (including several teals) these are quite good colours for me to reflect my personal colouring.
I went away from teal at one point after my mother said something, but I'm going to re-embrace it now!

I've emailed Elizabeth, but not heard from her, her blog isnt very active, but she had been on Ravelry a lot in the past, but I didn't want to hold up the next season so I just got started.

Garden Girl that stripe is very smart, you could make several pieces from it (but maybe not wear them all together!)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 07:46:27 AM by Sew Ruthie Sews »

Garden Girl

• Paid Member
  • Middle California

Ruthie, thanks for adding another set of guides at the top. Totally agree with getting going now; understand completely. Do hope Elizabeth will be along directly, but if not, indeed, the show must go on.  ;)

I thought I might be able to get a little top as well as cropped pants out of the stripe fabric. After I wash it, maybe this next weekend, I'll see what the hand is like and take it from there. A top might need to be color blocked, with some of the stripe done horizontally, and could be a lot of fun. I've been wanting to do some sort of striped Summer pant for a while now. Spring & Summer here call for the same clothing, with maybe a shift to more tank tops in high Summer but the crop pants go perfectly through both. I have too many not so attractive to me veins on my upper legs now to feel comfy in public in shorts, so the various cropped to ankle length pants work a treat for me.

I like teal and brown as well.  This year, when I get to Autumn/Winter sewing, I plan on breaking out the browns, teal, olive, bittersweet and plum type fabrics. I've got plenty of them. Our coloring is somewhat similar; I also have teal in my eyes, which turn out to be hazel rather than just "brown". There is a touch of olive in there too. And a touch of cataract, what ever "color" that adds.... :-\

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member

Yes although my plans follow the number of garments in one of the recommendations I'm not really doing the colours as suggested as both my planned tops are coloured.

I'm on an absolute roll with these things at the moment, so will probably do all the easy things first and then get more serious and do the proper trousers. I sewed up a test of the pattern I wanted to use in dark burgundy before Christmas but never finished them as they were a bit tight and that made me grumpy, and it needed work to fix so I paused them.

My SWAP is supposed to have 2 pairs of these trousers, one in dark brown and one in dark teal and I would wear and wear and wear them if the fit was OK. So maybe I need to trace out the next size or add extra tissue or learn how to do the right amount of sliding. If I just cut the same ones out again I'll just make myself sad!

ejvc

• O/T Politics
  • Plan-bot and machine knitting cryptographer.
    • The Fabulous Dr E's Fabulous Blog

Oh I'm here, just late as usual and with no clever 6PAC yet.  I like seeing how you guys guide it too :-)
Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden.

Find me at my blog: http://ejvc.wordpress.com
- on Ravelry as ejvc - on Instagram as ej.vc - and on Flickr as EJ VC.  Kind of a theme.

Lisanne

• Paid Member
  • southern England

Many thanks for keeping this lovely idea going, despite Elizabeth being too busy herself to take a major role.

And Elizabeth - many thanks to you for all you have done - and we look forward to 'seeing' you whenever you have time  ;D
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member

Oh I'm here, just late as usual and with no clever 6PAC yet.  I like seeing how you guys guide it too :-)
Oops sorry Elizabeth, got a bit too keen!
I'm not really a good guide as I pretty much never stick to the rules, however I do have enthusiasm and produce volume.

DaisyL

• O/T Politics

Spring 6PAC:

I need to strike the right balance of work wear that looks put-together, makes me feel like a confident business woman, and yet is not drastically out of balance for the populations I will be working with - tunics fit the bill pretty nicely. I recently received a 22 lb. box of goodies from Fabricmart, primarily blouseweight wovens and assorted knits. I have really been learning from these threads and now have an assortment of blacks, browns, and berries to to mix and match. Imogen L. has a helpful post on types of toppers for tunics https://insideoutstyleblog.com/2008/09/how-to-layer-tops.html

No firm plan yet, but 2 toppers (eShrug? Three's a Charm jacket?), 2 tunics (Tunic Bible), 2 bottoms (?).

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member

Yay 1st of february tomorrow and the Spring sewing can commence. Having re-read Elizabeth's suggestion for a coloured skirt and top for Spring, I watched it snowing a little outside and thought I might carry on with the brown as planned but use slightly less heavy fabrics, and maybe even go crazy and have some 3/4 sleeves!

I'm planning 2 tops, 2 bottoms and 2 layers. Generally I like a ratio with more tops though, so if time permits (and I'm sure it will) I'll do another two tops. I have a lot of stash to shrink so more use to me as fun tops to wear than folded on my shelves.

Brown cardigan (sweater knit)
Brown teal print cardigan (sweater knit)

Brown trousers
Brown/copper skirt

Brown and teal print top
Brown and teal lace top

Ooh exciting, nothing is cut out yet, so what shall I sew first? Hmmmmm.

DaisyL

• O/T Politics

I have started my first tunic - Fabricmart described it as stone blue and black stripe (vertical) blouse weight polyester. These blouse weights are a big learning curve for me. I heavily starched it. Watched Louise Cutting's youtube video on forward shoulder adjustment and rotating the sleeve head to match. It's all cut out and ready to go.

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member

Wonderful Daisy. Happy sewing!

M lambie

• Paid Member

Daisy, how exciting, you are ready to sew! ;D

Ruthie, your enthusiasm is infectious. :) I always enjoy watching your 6PAC ideas come to life.

I am also excited to begin spring sewing. I think I'll start with skirts as they fill the largest wardrobe hole... but my mind keeps going to my cardi. Originally I had planned to do a black cotton Alabama Chanin bolero with 3/4 sleeves. I know this would be extremely useful. However, I recently saw this new cardi on the AC site. I've been thinking about copying the style for several years but haven't got round to it yet. (Seems pretty simple if you have a t-shirt pattern you like.) I like the navy trim on the black and this combination would work wonderfully with my 6PAC and SWAP plans.

Black crop cardi with navy trim (Alabama Chanin):

Bolero for reference (Alabama Chanin):

Also for reference, my SWAP fabrics - 6PAC fabrics will be the black ones on the right, the navy/black plaid, and one of the navy fabrics in the center.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 12:07:20 AM by M lambie »

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member

M lambie, I really like that cardigan for you. I wouldn't have thought to put navy with black but its such a clever idea as it ties together two neutrals really well.
If you prefer the bolero shape you could always trim that in black/navy.

I have cut out and started the first Spring top, and its OK and I will wear it, but I'm not feeling deep love.
Its the bottom left in this photo

It contains black, white, two shades of brown, two shades of beige and two shades of teal blue, and it would therefore work with quite a few RTW things I already have. So its worth making as I can immediately make an outfit several outfits with it. I don't think it'll end up in SWAP though.

Ann

• Paid Member
    • Everything Sewing
Re: Spring 2018 6PAC (Six Piece Collection) - Sew Along 1st Feb - 30 April 2018
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2018, 12:23:15 AM »

Yay 1st of february tomorrow and the Spring sewing can commence.

Spring sewing??? We just had another blizzard according to the locals. Really just a good snow storm with some wind. And it is suppose to snow for most of this week and be cold. No thoughts of spring sewing in this house. Layering so I can go out and shovel snow for the next few days.

But, on positive note, I can look at all the wonderful things you ladies are making. I am always amazed at what lovely items each and everyone of you sew.  :) :)
Education is a journey not a race.

http://everythingsewing.blogspot.ca/

Elephun

• Paid Member
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2018, 01:03:53 AM »

I'm really itching to rip the sleeves off the grey striped dress some of you helped me with diagnosing fitting issues a while back. I think I would like it better as a sleeveless dress, and it would disguise some of the fit issues. I'm getting a migraine so the realist in me knows to keep away from the seam ripper until I feel better. Because I'm feeling a bit reckless, I thought better of trying to finish sewing my black Tessuti top today, too.

I fused the Vogue jacket pattern pieces onto Pellon last week so they should be easier for me to manage should my tremor act up. I don't think this is an ideal solution for stabilizing patterns that will require extensive alterations, but I think that this jacket will be a good candidate. I may be able to manage some flat pattern measurements later. That would be a helpful step. Maybe I can drape the pieces on the dress form, too.

Garden Girl

• Paid Member
  • Middle California
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2018, 01:24:41 AM »

Yay 1st of february tomorrow and the Spring sewing can commence.

Spring sewing??? We just had another blizzard according to the locals. Really just a good snow storm with some wind. And it is suppose to snow for most of this week and be cold. No thoughts of spring sewing in this house. Layering so I can go out and shovel snow for the next few days.

But, on positive note, I can look at all the wonderful things you ladies are making. I am always amazed at what lovely items each and everyone of you sew.  :) :)

I know...our weather varies so much. Our 10 day is now saying 5 days in a row at 78 F/26 C, which probably means I'm looking at 80 a couple of days.

No sewing yet. DH back to the ER this AM-different hospital, the one he just got out of was a joke. Will be there 2-4 days if he responds well. I'll take advantage of quiet time to do a bit more laundry and house cleaning without "help". Maybe prep wash a couple of fabrics. And sleep; I'm very fond of sleep & can always use more.  ;) 

Pantry & fridge are full, best friend relocated 200 miles away a couple of years ago. She is in town now through Monday and we are hitting a Quilt show Friday. I'll see if there is some amazing fabric at a vendor that wants to be pants or a little woven top.

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2018, 07:24:54 AM »

I'm sure we all miss Elizabeth's fun little stories about the clothes so if anyone wants to have a go at writing one, I'll put them all at the top of the thread so we can all enjoy them.

Here's one I've been thinking about.

---

You've moved back into an office job have been working from home in a very casual environment for a long time. You purchased a dark grey trouser suit and crisp blush shirt which you wore for the interview. It worked and you got the job, but the actual office is a more business casual. You want to build a little capsule around the trouser suit to get you through a week in the office.

You stick with dark grey as the dark neutral and sew a dark grey cardigan from Jalie, and a relaxed textured grey skirt with a hidden elastic waistband, so you have two bottoms and two layers with your existing suit. You fill the rest of the week out by sewing 4 coloured knit tops in soft red, teal, soft green and rich purple and wear your smartest jeans with the shirt on a Friday.

You can start to add a little more variety in future, but its helped your transition from home back into the office.

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2018, 07:38:07 AM »

Ok here's another one......

You are retired, with soft grey hair and blue eyes and you love your garden and being outdoors. You want to be practical but also have some pretty elements.

You like this version of Elizabeth's guidelines
1 - dark neutral "jacket", cardigan, or "third layer"
2- dark neutral bottom
3 - dark neutral top (are you bored yet? But very useful)
4 - because it's spring - a coloured skirt
5 - because it's spring - a coloured top to match
6 - a print top that links the two colours together
2 bottoms, three tops, and a "jacket".
Get yourself some shoes that match the dark neutral.

You don't want to go too dark so you pick a soft khaki as your neutral.
Then you sew a soft khaki cardigan, trousers (that fit your shape), and knit top.
Because it's spring you add a pretty floral fabric in khaki, soft blue and rose pink all in a very blended impressionistic style print which you use for a long skirt and matching top, they can be worn apart or together you look like you made a dress!
You add a final plain top which picks out the pretty rose pink from the print. Because you have blue eyes you already have several blue tops as well as blue pants and cardigan which also work with the print and the wardrobe feels like its really been multiplied.

Bookish

• Paid Member
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2018, 03:51:29 PM »

Ruthie,

Love your suggestions (especially the one for gray hair and blue eyes  ;)).  You are always very inspiring.

Many thanks,

Connie

marciae

• Paid Member
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2018, 04:16:39 PM »

Eliz has a great blog this am about the spring 6 pak - a must read!!

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2018, 05:00:59 PM »

Eliz has a great blog this am about the spring 6 pak - a must read!!

Yes, it's great isn't it I'll add a link to it at the top of the thread.

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2018, 05:29:15 PM »

I have completed my first piece, I cheated slightly by starting yesterday, I hope that's OK  :-[

yes it's another knit top from that pattern I made by tracing a favourite RTW top. I dare say some of you are rolling your eyes at how unimaginative I am, but I had a dire need of tops, having gained weight, changed shape a bit and started to get too hot sometimes (as some do in late 40s onwards). Loose and comfortable really helps and I'm sewing them as fast as I can to have enough to manage laundry and give some choice.

Lisanne

• Paid Member
  • southern England
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2018, 06:08:17 PM »

Hurrah, and thanks to Elizabeth for her usual entertaining examples  ;D
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

DaisyL

• O/T Politics
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2018, 08:24:54 PM »

I have completed my first piece, I cheated slightly by starting yesterday, I hope that's OK  :-[

yes it's another knit top from that pattern I made by tracing a favourite RTW top. I dare say some of you are rolling your eyes at how unimaginative I am, but I had a dire need of tops, having gained weight, changed shape a bit and started to get too hot sometimes (as some do in late 40s onwards). Loose and comfortable really helps and I'm sewing them as fast as I can to have enough to manage laundry and give some choice.

I like that fabric a lot. Also - I say if your system works, why mess with it?

M lambie

• Paid Member
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2018, 08:48:32 PM »

M lambie, I really like that cardigan for you. I wouldn't have thought to put navy with black but its such a clever idea as it ties together two neutrals really well.
If you prefer the bolero shape you could always trim that in black/navy.
Thanks, Ruthie. :) I forgot to mention, but one of the reasons I was planning the bolero is that I don't have quite enough fabric to do a regular cardi. But with the contrast trim, I should be able to manage a short cardi as in the picture.

I think your newest top is great, that fabric is very interesting! Very pretty. I think it's quite practical to make the same style of top for regular wear. That way you know all your regular layers work with the style and you know that it suits you. Looking at my wardrobe, whether it's RTW or self-made, most of my things are multiples of the same pattern or style... I have multiples of two different RTW dresses and 10 of the exact same cami in multiple colors. I guess what I am trying to say is that from a sewing for fun perspective, some sewists may prefer to make up many different patterns and styles, but from a capsule wardrobe perspective, it makes perfect sense to make multiples of the same (or similar) pattern(s).

Also, I love the 6PAC examples you provide. :)

And as always Elizabeth's post was a fun read!

I have some straightening etc. to do before I begin sewing so I'd better get busy. ;)

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2018, 06:53:27 AM »

I've made the second item, the lined variegated lace top. Its come out quite thick so definitely an early spring piece.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 07:21:43 AM by Sew Ruthie Sews »

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2018, 06:18:50 PM »

Just cut out two pairs of trousers and realised I have failed immediately at 6PAC-ery as they would go with the brown tops from the Chocolate Collection, but not with the new tops I just did for the Spring 6PAC. Hmmm.

The fabrics were in the brown pile of fabrics and started talking to me and explained how they were stretch wovens and they'd be GREAT for that Burda magazine pattern that needs a woven with some stretch, and I listened and cut them out.

Anyway I'm still going to sew them up, and it could be a fitting breakthrough if the assumptions I've made are correct (a smidge extra for the front inner thigh and back side hip).
Anyway these are now the second layer of the chocolate collection (you know when there is another tray underneath? )

I will of course share some pictures, probably on a hanger in terrible light for now, but one day I'll actually put them on and model them for some photos.

Fabric Mart Fabrics Style Arc Sewing Patterns Put Your Ad Here
Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here