Stitcher's Guild Reloaded

Advanced search  

News:

To purchase a gift subscription for another member, please send a private message to DragonLady, telling her who you would like to gift, so permission can be obtained before you send any money.

Author Topic: 2018 SWAP Chatter #2 (continued)  (Read 28069 times)

dementedfairy

• The Demented Fairy blog
Re: 2018 SWAP Chatter #2 (continued)
« Reply #280 on: March 03, 2018, 06:27:30 PM »

Subtraction dress abandoned.  Possibly for good.  I'm stamping and swearing now
https://thedementedfairy.wordpress.com/2018/03/03/im-on-a-sub-mission/ Stage '1
https://thedementedfairy.wordpress.com/2018/03/03/sub-dued/ stage #2, a downward spiral....

I'm going to sew the wedding dress toile, then back to my SWAP sewing.  Poop.
Apparently I'm a quintessential Gemini- but I think that's a load of b.s. myselves...

Cheriecz

• Paid Member
  • aka Cheriemg
« Reply #281 on: March 04, 2018, 01:23:16 AM »

Demented Fairy, no no you are fine! I had to chime in. Moving ahead is really great. Just think how smart and practical you are in jettisoning the ridiculous for the more realistic, and more fun, actually! Great choice!
Cherie

Sewing in the Arizona desert

Susan in Saint John

• Paid Member
« Reply #282 on: March 04, 2018, 03:45:10 PM »

dementedfairy,

Thank you for referencing your blog posts on the subtraction dress.  I was looking at that pattern and thinking about making it.  I've tried another simpler pattern from that company and not been able to figure it out -- I can do the math too.  You have saved me from wasting my time on it -- thank you so much!

On the old stitchers guild, I remember a couple of people making patterns by that company and that they did make modifications before they were happy.  There are also some reviews on patternreview.com.  I did watch some YouTube videos on subtraction cutting.

I remember on a craftsy class with Lynda Maynard, her comment to the effect that the muslin is your laboratory.  She went on to say that for every 4 patterns she muslined, she went on to make an actual garment from only 1 or perhaps 2.  We have to look at muslins as a learning experience and some of the best learning is what not to do.  Additionally, even when you have a successful muslin, it does not always transfer into a successful garment, disappointing as that may be.

May your wedding dress be a very successful project!

dementedfairy

« Reply #283 on: March 04, 2018, 03:49:32 PM »

Lol thanks guys!  I must emphasise, the technique is fine, given MILES of fabric, just follow the videos, and all will be well...but the measurements and quantities and method on that free pattern are PANTS. [UK pants, not US ones!]
The wedding dress will be fine, I've got the process pretty sorted in my head [there's always SOMETHING different to previous things we've made isn't there?]  and the basic pattern is pretty close to what I want to achieve.  It ended up costing  a BOMB though, out of print Etsy pattern, then postage form US, then it got hit by customs.  Glad I'm not paying for it!
Apparently I'm a quintessential Gemini- but I think that's a load of b.s. myselves...

Melinda_B

• Paid Member
    • Better Than I Planned
« Reply #284 on: March 04, 2018, 11:50:31 PM »

the basic pattern ..... It ended up costing  a BOMB though, out of print Etsy pattern, then postage form US, then it got hit by customs.  Glad I'm not paying for it! 

I hear you.  We get slammed with shipping over here in Australia too.  Plus the conversion rate.  We don't pay import/customs until the value is over $500 (might be $1000) luckily.
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

M lambie

• Paid Member
« Reply #285 on: March 05, 2018, 07:23:37 PM »

dementedfairy, sorry to hear your subtraction dress didn't turn out! I agree with your analysis of that free pattern, it seems suitable only for slimmer figures... when I first looked through their pattern, and saw the 60" hemline I was suspicious. Plus the photos they show on the CFPD site of the dress made up all look rather more close fitting than the dresses in the videos. I guess the "smaller" in the name is a red flag! I may follow your advice and try one with wider and longer yardage. Also I appreciate your observation that if you don't intend to step through the circles, they can be whatever size you want!

Treefrog
, I like the choice of the lighter color option for summer. :) Your new light grey pants look great! And it is fascinating to get a glimpse into your weaving process.

Ruthie, it is amazing to see your collage of all the tops made from the traced off RTW top! It is seriously inspiring! I really like your dark brown cardi from the sweater knit. It looks so wearable and versatile. The print cardi is great too, but I agree that maybe you could patch over the white blobs. Best of luck with your trouser fitting plans!

CCL, have you finished your trial top? I am curious whether you will choose the Butterick or Simplicity pattern. I do like the look of the tops you made for your niece but I'm curious to see the Butterick made up. I hope you are enjoying sewing for you! ;D

Turquoise, that is a nice print vest! The tie front looks great. Using the leftovers to make a top sounds like a good plan. I'm looking forward to seeing what you sew next. :)

Embees
, your new plan is excellent! ;D I think those colors are really good together. You have made so much sewing progress, I'm impressed! I can't wait to see pix of everything. Also, I know what you mean about the RTW top and perfectionism. I never want to include RTW in my fantasy plans, but if you have a great garment that fits in well, why not? It's all about creating a workable wardrobe capsule, after all. :) And your top works really well with the fabrics you are showing with it!

Ruthie, dementedfairy, and Lillie, I really enjoyed seeing all those creatively pieced tops! I always want to make pieced clothing but so far have not dived in. Thanks for the inspiration. ;D

Stephanie and Treefrog, thanks for your comments about my sewing machine! I can't tell you all what a relief it is to have a working machine (though you probably already know). :) I feel a sense of endless possibility! :D

stephaniecan

• Paid Member
  • Fall down eight times. Get up nine times.
« Reply #286 on: March 06, 2018, 01:10:27 PM »

Love the grey trousers, treefrog!

Mary, Your comments are always a pleasure to read. I can understand how you feel about having a machine again!

CCL

• Paid Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #287 on: March 06, 2018, 04:28:38 PM »

Thanks for asking, Mary.   Here's the trial muslin top of the Butterick in icky yicky fabric (so I am glad to have used up of the last of it - a truly nasty poly that static clings to everything).

20180306_102925 by CCL photos, on Flickr

I think I like it - simple lines and it would be nice in a challis.  I used french seams, but I think I would try a different treatment on the underarm seams.  I have still to make up the muslin of the "niece top" in my size.  I have it cut out, but I have been slammed with real world stuff and barely able to get to my sewing stuff.  Still haven't decided which pattern to use for the deep teal wool challis... leaning toward the "niece pattern" but that may be because I haven't made up the muslin yet. Hope springs eternal   :)  Just bought the lining fabric for the skirt.

So happy to hear, Mary, that you have a working sewing machine again and I hope that it is giving you great joy.  Nothing is worse than fighting the machine when all you want to do is sew.

The friend did pick up his French cheesemaker shirt and said he loved it.  I had some real shell buttons that I had used.  He promised me photos of it on.

Lots of rambling thoughts, I have been reading... and haven't been good about keeping up.  Demented Fairy - loved your description of the ill-fated subtraction pattern.   The pieced tops are great- ruthie, demented fairy and Lillie -- loved them all, but that grey one, Ruthie remains one of my favorites.

TreeFrog - I love the grey pants as well... and Embees - I get your "not being comfortable with" as I am pretty conservative in my dress - but I would wear those pants - I think they are wonderful.

Stephanie -- oooooh, those wrap front pants, can't wait to see them with the borders at the bottom.

I did get a chance to look at the new Dior offerings, it's making me feel almost trendy with my standard pattern for trousers - to be made up this time in a super drapey Super 120 wool.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 11:35:10 PM by CCL »

fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #288 on: March 06, 2018, 04:48:24 PM »

Treefrog, your loom warping saga on your 'blog is incredibly interesting. I'm happy to see that you got it all warped with minimal strain on your back, helped by suggestions from your friends who also weave. Congrats!

I'm eagerly anticipating seeing the fabric when you are finished, and the garment after that. Keep calm and carry on--you're doing such a great job. I admire your patience and perseverance.

Kathryn
My blog: I Made This! at http://imadethis-asewingblog.blogspot.com/
Flickr Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72428033@N00/albums

2018 Dress a Month count:

stephaniecan

• Paid Member
« Reply #289 on: March 07, 2018, 01:42:16 PM »

CCL: Love the top. The lines are great and the top would look nice in any number of fabrics.

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #290 on: March 07, 2018, 07:06:54 PM »

I am now back up to full time at work, (its been gradually increasing over the last 6 weeks) and I lose my temporary parking space next week. I have an 80% workload now. I am exhausted every night at the moment so not managing much sewing.

I need to make trousers, probably brown ones.

I need to decide on my colour scheme and then sew things to fit that.

Hmmmm.

Health is more important than SWAP, who knows what you guys will get at the end!!!

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #291 on: March 10, 2018, 08:35:28 AM »

Yeah no sewing this week except for a tiny bit of mending one night.
Being back up to full time at work, and having some new project work is mentally and physically exhausting right now.
I probably need to do a paper exercise on the colour palette to get focus back there again.
I have plenty of brown that's for sure!

mudcat

• Paid Member
  • Sonoran Desert / subtropical
« Reply #292 on: March 10, 2018, 11:36:57 PM »

DF: Regarding your issue with your jeans .... do you mean the dreaded camel toe?  A cursory search lead me to a discussion of it on Fashion Incubator and an adjustment on Closet Case Patterns.  Other sites came up too such as Curvy Collective and more so you can probably find a solution. I'm off to an early dinner so don't have time to peruse all of them. 

dementedfairy

« Reply #293 on: March 11, 2018, 08:57:38 AM »

Not really- I think cameltoe is when it's too tight over the foo, so you add more room in...this is mahoosive vertical folds of excess fabric, that looks decidedly gynecological...how do I get rid of the excess?

fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #294 on: March 11, 2018, 12:49:59 PM »

Could you take a photo, Demented Fairy? Then if you wish, go to our Critiques forum where lots of folks start topics to get help fixing a specific fitting problem.

Kathryn

dementedfairy

« Reply #295 on: March 11, 2018, 12:56:28 PM »

I found something similar, so may be able to sort it

She fixes the pattern very technically, I will make do with the 'smoosh' method which suits my style!

warpjr1965

• Paid Member
    • Nebula Classical Academy
« Reply #296 on: March 11, 2018, 01:44:31 PM »

Not really- I think cameltoe is when it's too tight over the foo,

LOL!

Will be interested to see how you work it out!

I am back on track.  My little coral tank is nearly done, I was able to shift the armhole a bit to provide more coverage. This made the armhole smaller, but I'll just shave a bit off and I think it will be fine.  I LOVE this little top! If this is all I accomplish for SWAP (it won't be ) I would be hugely satisfied.

I'm planning on one more top, a woven this time, then I need to get on with pants. I am alternating working on DH's jacket, and then SWAP stuff, I actually find this more motivating!
Wendy

fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #297 on: March 11, 2018, 01:55:28 PM »

I found something similar, so may be able to sort it

She fixes the pattern very technically, I will make do with the 'smoosh' method which suits my style!

I'm glad you found the solution to your fitting problem DF so the pants don't become a wadder.

For those like me who are curious, that pants photo is from a 2011 Trousers Sewalong in the A Fashionable Stitch 'blog:

https://afashionablestitch.wordpress.com/2011/01/11/in-which-i-finally-talk-about-the-word/

I enjoyed reading through some of that 'blog. It's really well done.

Kathryn

CCL

• Paid Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #298 on: March 12, 2018, 01:25:29 PM »

Stephanie I love those pants!  Actually a little surprised because I am not a fan of cropped pants, but I'd wear those.  Also, I am beginning to wonder if every SWAP collection wouldn't benefit from something teal!  Like you, I am s-l-o-w-l-y plugging along... Might be right with you still sewing SWAP clothes in June.

warpjr1965 Yeah on the coral tank...hope you can post a photo soon. And you look so victorious in the photo of your long sleeved top that you made earlier.

Towanda - You have quite a lovely collection.  The brown and black outfit from the metro fabrics is quite stricking... The top cut on the cross-grain really works.

demented faery love the red top stitching on your pieced top. You have such flair.  Glad you got the saggy crotch problem solved.   You, Ruthie, and Lillie are giving me some ideas for  piecing a skirt out of the leftover burgundy wool and suede.  Haven't quite got a plan yet, but thanks to you guys, I have inspiration from your makes.

fabrikate Great circle skirt...the fabric is a perfect match for it.  Your blog post was as usual such an informative discussion of how to make one.  I hope you opted to hand hem it.

Ruthie your efficiency techniques have served you well, even though you are back to work more or less full time, your output of garments sewn is impressive.  I borrowed your sew several items in the same color family  to reduce having to rethread, even though I just use the one machine.  It works so well for you, I decided to try it.

I know I am missing others, Morzel - I hope to see your next sew soon - your work is so precise and clean...couture in casual wear.   treefrog - I am envious of the weaving and excited to see what you produce.  It's always been a fantasy of mine to weave fabric and make it up into a garment.  Reading about yours is such a lovely vicarious pleasure. Everyone I missed, I hope your old and new sewing machines are well oiled and humming.

But I especially hope everyone is doing well, sewing or otherwise, or at least on the mend.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 01:32:08 PM by CCL »

stephaniecan

• Paid Member
« Reply #299 on: March 12, 2018, 02:38:57 PM »

I am with you, CCL. I have always been skeptical about cropped pants but I love the bottom hem bands on this pattern and how they fall on me, plus I am satisfied with the unusual colour (wasn't sure about it in the beginning).

Lisanne

• Paid Member
  • southern England
« Reply #300 on: March 12, 2018, 05:35:13 PM »

Stephanie - teal can be a neutral  ;D
Definition of a neutral as used in the 6PACs - anything you can wear pants in.
From the wardrobe planning perspective, a neutral is anything that can be worn with many other colours.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 05:36:48 PM by Lisanne »
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

marciae

• Paid Member
« Reply #301 on: March 12, 2018, 05:38:38 PM »

I am with you, CCL. I have always been skeptical about cropped pants but I love the bottom hem bands on this pattern and how they fall on me, plus I am satisfied with the unusual colour (wasn't sure about it in the beginning).
Love them. What pattern did you use?  If you posted I missed it. Thanks

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #302 on: March 12, 2018, 05:46:20 PM »

Great commenting CCL.

I am hoping to make a pair of trousers this week, and try not to get too stressed about a perfect fit.

stephaniecan

• Paid Member
« Reply #303 on: March 13, 2018, 01:05:13 AM »

Eek! Seems I have a mystery post that keeps diaappearing. :)
Lisanne: I love the idea of teal as a neutral. I would go for it except I am sewing from stash and only had one piece of teal fabric. :)

marciae: It is 117 from the February 2018 Burda Style magazine.

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #304 on: March 13, 2018, 07:08:48 AM »

I'm trying to convinvce myself that teal is a neutral. I have made some teal linen trousers and I would be entirely happy to wear them in the summer.

I have started sewing again :-)
I tried on 3 pairs of trousers I made recently and they were all not too bad so I picked one style to sew again.

I'm still going with brown. I'm using a stretch woven (poss a bengaline as it has that rustling sound) with a slight self stripe from deep in the fabric resources and have cut out a cardigan jacket and a pair of trousers. I hope to have something to share later in the week.

M lambie

• Paid Member
« Reply #305 on: March 14, 2018, 04:45:07 AM »

Ruthie, IMO it is only necessary that the teal (or other color) functions as a neutral in the context of this collection, i.e. it works with your accents. After all, Dr. E. always says that any color you would use for trousers can count as a neutral in the 6PACs. So why not? Teal is a great color for you. :) Good luck with your trousers sewing!

Stephanie, your teal cropped pants are wonderful! I love the hem band.

Dementedfairy, I really like the two new pieced tops! I especially like the black one with the different shades and textures of black fabric combined with that fun print. I really hope that one at least makes the cut in your final SWAP. And I hope you can resolve that unfortunate-sounding trouser fitting issue. ;)

Wendy, I'm glad that your SWAP sewing is back on track. I can't wait to see your coral top. :)

Towanda, your animal print garments look great. Also good save on the draped top, I think the new topper is very nice!

CCL, thanks for posting your Butterick test blouse. It looks like a really wearable pattern. I think the neckline will be very flattering. I'm looking forward to seeing what you sew next. :)

I haven't got anywhere with my SWAP and must face reality. There is an outside chance I could still finish but I doubt I'll manage. Still, I am happy with the latest revision of my plan and I have an alternate finish date to aim for -- I am going to Alaska this summer for a family wedding and it would be nice to bring some or all of my SWAP garments with me. Hopefully I'll have at least a few garments to share here before the SWAP deadline. ;)

LyndaC

• Paid Member
« Reply #306 on: March 14, 2018, 05:16:38 PM »

A big-name designer was quoted as saying that teal is the only color that is flattering to all people.  I gave that a lot of thought, and he may be right.
It is a difficult color to find in stores or fabric shops.

marciae

• Paid Member
« Reply #307 on: March 14, 2018, 05:47:51 PM »

Eek! Seems I have a mystery post that keeps diaappearing. :)
Lisanne: I love the idea of teal as a neutral. I would go for it except I am sewing from stash and only had one piece of teal fabric. :)

marciae: It is 117 from the February 2018 Burda Style magazine.

Thanks - it is very stylish and sleek looking

stephaniecan

• Paid Member
« Reply #308 on: March 14, 2018, 10:58:15 PM »

Mary, marciae: Thanks!

Mary, You and I can sew on in a SWAP that ends in mid-July. I'll be travelling in mid-July, too, although my reason is more prosaic. Wishing you some wonderful sewing.
PS Your comments are always a delight to read.

LyndaC: I have heard that, too. I think it seems reasonable. I can't wear a strong, bright teal, but a slightly darker or muted one suits me very well. I am currently looking at some teal-coloured silk crepe de chine for a blouse. I may have caught the bug and may use teal as a neutral yet! :)

warpjr1965

• Paid Member
    • Nebula Classical Academy
« Reply #309 on: March 15, 2018, 11:31:17 PM »

Ruthie and Turquoise, your newest SWAP makes are great!

I have not done anything in the last week except to prewash the fabric for the next project. I'll just keep on doing bits and pieces as I can.
Wendy

treefrog

• SWAP Addict :-)
    • sew Treefrog
« Reply #310 on: March 16, 2018, 04:23:27 AM »

Thanks for the lovely comments about my weaving.  It is so encouraging.  I'm almost 2/3 of the way through.  The plan was to have it off the loom before next weekend as we have a gathering at our place.  I think having it still on the loom and in a hight traffic area is a recipe for disaster.

Stephanie  I love your teal pants.  They look so goo on you.  I'm another that would say that teal can be a neutral.  I briefly toyed with a teal/navy based SWAP but they are more winter colours for me.  Hope you are able to find the teal silk.

Mary  Your trip to Alaska sounds like fun.  I might also be still working on my SWAP past the official deadline, so hopefully we'll be able to keep each other on track.

Turquoise  Your latest top is fantastic.  I like the collar with the twist front.  So often they just have a plain neckline but the collar really lifts it up a notch

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #311 on: March 16, 2018, 07:36:20 AM »

treefrog, I follow your blog and something wasn't working there when I clocked through to read the post this morning, you may want to ake a look at that.
The pink blouse and grey jeans looks great.
I am super impressed with the weaving (though admiring from afar and never getting into it myself).
Re indigo vs black, I think the slightly softer nature of the indigo would be more harmonious with the pink, grey etc which are quite soft. However I understand why you want to make the black pieces.
Hopefully you can find a happy place about it.

Turquoise, your ivory twist top is lovely. What a great combination of a versatile piece with interesting details. Great job.

Mary, I think you will be happier sewing the pieces you really want, even if the timescale is extended.
Go with your natural rythmn and make pieces that bring you joy!

I really like my latest trousers, comfortable but work appropriate. I think I will make a few more pairs tweaking each one slightly as I go.
I need trousers so making more of them is a good thing for me.
The slimmer leg silhouette is a new one for me, but I like it as it seems a bit more current.

indigotiger

• Paid Member
    • Acorn Cottage Artisanry
« Reply #312 on: March 16, 2018, 04:58:26 PM »

I have been really enjoying seeing what everyone is working on here, and hoping that the mojo will rub off on me... somehow after finishing my cardigan (which has turned out every bit as comfy and versatile as I had hoped) I just needed to take a break from sewing for a while. Plus some medical issues with my right eye have been slowing me down. I still have another seven items left in my SWAP unfinished yet, and only two of them are cut out and ready to sew... can I do that much in the next six weeks, not sure?
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #313 on: March 17, 2018, 08:24:04 AM »

IndigoTiger, look after yourself (if you are able I would get the eye thing checked out). Forcing yourself to finish SWAP in a particular timeline is probably not good for your health, where you have things cut out already, why not work on them a bit of time everyday. If you only do 20 minutes they will progress.

I have made a lot of things now but strangely I noticed I am avoiding wearing them as I know sometimes the newness goes after laundering and I want them to look good for the photos. This seems a little silly, especially as I have made so many things and have not finalised what's going to be in the collection.

I am also wondering if I have finally had enough of dark brown (I'm sure you all have!) or whether I am going to make another one (or two) pairs of trousers and/or a mixed fabric tee from scraps. Or just take a break from it and sew something lighter - I'm quite drawn to ivory at the moment. However looking at the calendar there's other stuff happening and then the last week of March is going to include new sewing room cupboard and a general fabric resources sort. So all kinds of inspiration is likely to strike me in April! (I find getting the fabric out and refolding it gives me all sorts of ideas).

indigotiger

• Paid Member
    • Acorn Cottage Artisanry
« Reply #314 on: March 17, 2018, 01:32:31 PM »

Ruthie - I think I shall follow your suggestion and inspiration, and thread both my machine and my serger with brown thread, and work on the plaid wool.pinafore while the weather is still cool enough to get some use from it. And after that, who knows...  I have had medical attention for my eye, spent the previous weekend at the emergency room at hospital, when it suddenly developed peripheral flashing lights on one side, which was rather terrifying. They determined it was not something obvious and dire, and sent me to see an eye specialist, who did a more.thorough exam. The odd flashes are apparently related to changes inside the eye due to age!  I will go back for a second exam next month.

I, for.one, am not tired of seeing all your brown garments, but think that you will be ending up with a wonderfully useful group of coordinates, and that your photo of all the brown and teal together looks rather like a Vivienne Files "after sorting" photo. I look forward to seeing what you end up choosing for SWAP at the end of next month.
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Fabric Mart Fabrics Style Arc Sewing Patterns Put Your Ad Here
Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here