Stitcher's Guild Reloaded

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome! :)

If you have trouble registering or logging in, please email me.    dl@artisanssquare.com

Author Topic: Pillow Size  (Read 2939 times)

Syndi

• Paid Member
Re: Pillow Size
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2018, 09:24:10 PM »

Arenít you glad you didnít use your client's fabric?!  The fabric you used is very pretty.  Wouldnít you rather use something more disposable to work out the details?
OMG!!! YES...YES ...YES!  Thank you Martha for suggesting a mock up!!  After reading back on this thread you posted that you used an 18" cover for a 20" down pillow insert.  I think you may be onto something here, Martha.  The down insert is not as firm and doesn't seem to fill the cover quite as well......
I think if I went down another inch, it would fill better. What do you think?
I don't have much of "muslin" type fabric.  I usually stash just the good stuff.... :)  I thought if I was going to go through the effort, I might as well have something I can use. I've had this for quite some time and wasn't sure what I was going to use it for, but I loved it.  It was originally a linen tablecloth and looks to be hand embroidered.  If I get this right, I'll give to my DGD for her big girl bed.,,,,,I can even monogram it ;)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 09:34:21 PM by Syndi »

Pina

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2018, 09:48:41 PM »

One can sew piping on tapered corners too. I'm not home to link to tutorials.

Syndi

• Paid Member
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2018, 09:58:21 PM »

Hi Pina, I thought if I did use the welt/piping, I would just follow the edges as I would if they are straight-yes? 
ETA: This blog post shows adding cording to tapered corners- as suspected, I would just apply as I would if the edges were straight.
https://sew4home.com/tips-resources/sewing-tips-tricks/quick-tip-how-tapered-corners-make-square-pillows
Since I've taken apart the pillow, I'm going to cut it down another inch, and taper the corners 1" in. 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 02:17:12 AM by Syndi »

Pina

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2018, 05:23:07 AM »

How to Attach Piping Around a Shaped Corner video.

Comparison of a standard angle to a tapered angle on two identical 18" pillows from a number of different perspectives.More here.

Syndi

• Paid Member
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2018, 12:30:25 PM »

Thanks so much, Pina! I'll be trying this this weekend.  :)  So happy I am using a mock-up.

KarenDee

• Paid Member
  • SIgnal Mountain, Tn.
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2018, 05:33:41 AM »

Pina, thanks so much for the wonderful video showing exactly how to fit the pillow shaped corners. I hope that is a file I can always find when I need to. Thanks again.

Karendee

Syndi

• Paid Member
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2018, 04:28:01 PM »

Finished the recut pillow.  Thank you to Pina, Martha, sewvt, bessiecrocker, sewingbox & susanjane for all of your wisdom and excellent photos and videos too....
I took the pillow apart and cut it 24"- this means with s.a. it would be 23".  I tapered the corners 1" over 6", and added the piping back on.  The tapering was a bit tricky on the back because I added a zipper "panel" but I think it worked. Seems that one corner is leaving a dogear.  ::)  I also have just learned to end the piping correctly, but feel it still isn't perfect, but acceptable. 
I went one step further and monogrammed it in my DGD favorite color- purple :)
Thank you so very much for all of your advise and help on this one....learned a lot and as they say.."It takes a village"  :)
Eurofront by Thia Marie, on Flickr
Euroback by Thia Marie, on Flickr
EuroMongram.jgp by Thia Marie, on Flickr
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 04:40:51 PM by Syndi »

vtmartha

• Paid Member
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2018, 05:45:57 PM »

Lovely, Syndi!  You could bounce it around in the dryer without heat for a bit to see if the corner fills out.  I think feathers and down are much more compressible than other pillow stuffings so they may fill a smaller pillow.

Syndi

• Paid Member
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2018, 09:23:44 PM »

Thank you, Martha .......it was a bit tricky marking and cutting the taper on the back- maybe next time I'll baste the sections together to be sure the taper is accurate.  All in all - I'm pleased.  I was a bit confused why this friend/customer wanted me to make her pillows because I know she has a decorator, which I'm sure has a textile resource- after all her drapes were sourced.  Also, she is a free lance accountant and I know she does work for a woman who makes textiles in her home.....so, that being said....I'm not sure why she came to me.  I'm flattered that she was willing to pay me for the work, but I also am the type of person who will always give someone my best work- hence, the trial pillow.  I just got a text from her that she acquired her bed skirt fabric- which I think she wants to use for the piping.  She really left the whole project up to me, as far as design.  Often, I just tell friends that I don't want any money for the project- I suppose because if something goes awry....also, I never know what is reasonable to charge. She insisted that I charge her for the work, so  I'm thinking $50 per pillow is fair.

vtmartha

• Paid Member
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2018, 11:19:46 PM »

Syndi, do you have a French Curve like this?  You can find the curve that you like and note the numbers on either end of the curve.  Then draw the same curve on each of the corners.

Syndi

• Paid Member
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2018, 03:43:32 AM »

Syndi, do you have a French Curve like this?  You can find the curve that you like and note the numbers on either end of the curve.  Then draw the same curve on each of the corners.
No...I actually don't ...I know that they are often used in altering patterns....may have to put that on my list ;)

Meg

• Paid Member
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2018, 12:40:41 PM »

Syndi, I think you'll find that a French curve will be one hard-working tool once you get it into your sewing studio.  And then you'll wonder how the hecky-peck you managed without it! 
Great job with your pillow education, too!

Syndi

• Paid Member
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2018, 02:09:57 PM »

Thank you, Meg.  Since I've never used or had one.....what do you use it for?  On another note, after going through the process of cutting large pieces of fabric, I know I need this large cutting mat, custom cut to the size of my work table. 
https://www.cutting-mats.net/selfhealing-large-cutting-mat-1074.html?cmp=googleproducts&kw=selfhealing-large-cutting-mat-1074&utm_source=selfhealing-large-cutting-mat-1074&utm_medium=shopping%2Bengine&utm_campaign=googleproducts&gclid=Cj0KCQiAhrbTBRCFARIsACY7MW3aMciSo1PB36LHq-dZok2TurLOYBC9EA4ca5hbaUbvu75g-909ikgaAgd7EALw_wcB
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 02:12:37 PM by Syndi »

vtmartha

• Paid Member
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2018, 01:11:48 PM »

This is the ruler you want.  Itís hardly a major investment when it comes to our sewing expenditures.  I think I have several.  First of all, it can be used to make pillow corners.  In dressmaking, itís most commonly used to connect two points that arenít on a straight line, for copying curves, altering necklines, sleeves, armscyes.  If you watch any of the Silhouette Pattern videos, you will see Peggy uses hers frequently.

Meg

• Paid Member
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2018, 05:40:21 PM »

Syndi - exactly what Martha wrote!

Syndi

• Paid Member
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2018, 10:06:44 PM »

Thank you ladies!   I put my skills to use on another pillow:
http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php?topic=1393.new#new
Taking what I've learned here to this next pillow- I had to consider the fill.......although this second pillow was a down alternative, it was more compact, so for a 20" pillow I cut 19". And yes....I made a muslin first  ;D
Thank you again!

peggyjo

• Paid Member
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2018, 05:14:47 PM »

Syndi -- great job sticking with it to get the result you wanted.  You ended up with a lovely pillow!

I was reading this thread and the other thread where you were talking about your pillow-making adventures and thought I would mention that Linda Lee has a Craftsy class all about making pillows from various luxurious fabrics.  I haven't bought or watched this class (yet!), but I thought you and others reading here about pillow might want to take a look.

https://www.craftsy.com/sewing/classes/sew-luxury-fabrics-pillows/35349?cr_maid=101460&cr_linkid=230_101460&cr_source=Linda%20Lee&couponCode=50OFF_SELECT_LISTING_35349_LINDA_LEE&cr_medium=Instructor

Syndi

• Paid Member
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2018, 11:03:57 PM »

peggyjo- thank you for the nod on my pillow making  :)  As a self-taught sewist, I am amazed that after 30 years of sewing, how much I didn't learn!
So grateful for all our SG friends for offering their experience, advice and endless "lessons"!!
Thank you for the link to the Craftsy class....I'll check that out.
Martha- thank you for the link for the french curve ruler
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 11:07:43 PM by Syndi »

Lisa

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2018, 12:11:32 AM »

Syndi,

Beautiful pillow!  You said you weren't sure why she came to you for the pillows.... 

Being of suspicious mind, I'd call and ask for quotes for the sort of pillows you're being asked to make from local decorators/custom sewing sources.  You want to know what the local market price for this work is. 

HTH,

Lisa

Pina

« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2018, 01:03:01 AM »

Syndi,

Beautiful pillow!  You said you weren't sure why she came to you for the pillows.... 

Being of suspicious mind, I'd call and ask for quotes for the sort of pillows you're being asked to make from local decorators/custom sewing sources.  You want to know what the local market price for this work is. 

HTH,

Lisa

Lisa, I couldn't help smiling.  ;D

When a former neighbor invited me for coffee in her new gated complex house I came prepared.  ;D

When she showed me her dining room table with piles of different drapery material and said - all I had to sew - a few straight seems in no time at all, I gave her what I had in my pocket.  A list with local custom made drapes businesses,their addresses and phone numbers.

No, I didn't sew her drapes. She found someone else. Her poor daughter in-law.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 01:05:53 AM by Pina »

Syndi

• Paid Member
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2018, 05:55:15 PM »

Lisa & Pina,
When she came to my home, she saw my own pillows and asked if I'd sew hers- she said she would pay for the work.   If I didn't want to, I would have just said no, but I said sure but I didn't want to charge her- although she insisted.  She gave me all the fabric without ever asking what I'd charge.  Of course, I want to give her professionally sewn pillows,  hence why I went through the trouble of finding out the best practices.  I also want to be fair- to both of us. 
I'll look into what the market is.  I have looked online to see what Euro Shams cost (without the insert) and they are about $75. Since she bought the inserts and fabric, I thought $50 each was fair

Syndi

• Paid Member
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2018, 03:29:41 PM »

Just an update in case anyone is following here
I also needed a lumbar pillow for this contracted job. The lumbar insert is 10 X 28.  I realized how important a muslin is (thank you Martha ;) )
So I cut as I did for the larger pillows....2" smaller- 8 X 26 and a 1/2" s.a. .   The insert was way too tight width wise- so I did another muslin, 10 X 26- a 1/2" s.a., and this was perfect.  So I've learned that no two pillows are the same.  Both are feather/down but the lumber insert didn't need as much room to "squish".  I'll taper 1/2"

Syndi

• Paid Member
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2018, 04:20:05 PM »

Update, thoughts and questions...
I just gave my customer her pillows and she was more than pleased  ;D 
I was confident on the updates in the making of these, but am now overthinking....
The pillow insert was 26", but due to making it fit best, the finished size was 23"- cutting the overall square 2" smaller and 1/2" s.a.
Is this normal?  When purchasing a sham for a 26" Euro pillow, would you wind up with a very loose fit?  Going from 26" to 23" seems drastic.  Although my covers fit well with no sagging of fabric, I'm wondering if this drastic alteration is normal.  When I look back at my first mockup (with the vintage fabric muslin), it seems that the fit on the overall pillow was okay- just the corners were way off.
Thoughts?

vtmartha

• Paid Member
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2018, 06:00:58 PM »

I think itís going to depend mostly on your pillow stuffing.  Down is very compressible, feathers less so and polyfill least of all.  What is advertised as down is frequently mostly feathers.  You can tell by the price because pure down is very expensive.  And it may not be what you want.  It will depend on how you envision your pillows, full and firm or loosey goosey (haha). 

bessiecrocker

• Paid Member
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2018, 08:03:20 AM »

Syndi, I am going to let you into a big secret. What you see in interior design photos and ads is not reality! Trying to reproduce for the real world what you see in a picture is not possible.

Pillows, in real life, are way less plump than the fancy photos you are comparing your work to. On a professional photo shoot, there is a well paid stylist whose job it is to iron, starch, primp and fluff everything in the shot. Multiple times! This person comes with a hugh hugh wad of batting, which is crammed into every corner of every pillow and  every duvet. There is a steamer just out of camera angle and it gets used a lot.  That's why those pillow shams look so nice. When you buy them, get them home and put your own filling into them, they will have floppy corners and wrinkles.

http://sallyreps.blogspot.ch/2015/02/5-tips-for-beautiful-bed-styling-from.html

You did a beautiful job.  Your work is lovely. Unfluffy Corners Happen.

Relax. Let this go.

vtmartha

• Paid Member
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2018, 12:43:24 PM »

Very good point, Bessie!  When my kitchen was remodeled, nearly 40 years ago, it was featured in the local newspaper.  It was an interesting design and we used local woods and stone.  By todayís standards, it is incredibly modest.  The photo shoot was an eye opener.  They brought in flowers, looked around the house for additional props and kept moving things around from photo to photo.  It gave me a new window into what goes on at those magazine photo shoots.

Syndi

• Paid Member
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2018, 01:35:17 PM »

bessiecrocker- thank you for easing my anxiety :)  and the compliment on my pillows. I am a perfectionist beyond reasonable.  The customer/friend raved about the pillows and my work in general....I suppose I should accept the pat on the back and smile.

Martha- thank you for confirming bessiecrockers comments....
I suppose everything looks better in professional photos and on tv....people, food........

Fabric Mart Fabrics Style Arc Sewing Patterns Put Your Ad Here
Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here