Stitcher's Guild Reloaded

Advanced search  

News:

To purchase a subscription to SG for yourself: go to your profile, and click the "actions" tab.  It will take you to the subscription module, where you can follow the prompts.  Leave the "recurring payments" box empty, or it won't work. Finalizing the transaction is a manual process, so be patient; your account will be updated ASAP.

Author Topic: Decluttering 2018  (Read 12785 times)

warpjr1965

• Paid Member
    • Nebula Classical Academy
Re: Decluttering 2018
« Reply #140 on: February 14, 2018, 01:38:44 AM »

How's all the decluttering going?

GG, our student will only be with us for 10 days.  We are having a fun time getting ready, although there is quite a bit of work to do!  Today I am going to declutter the last xmas decorations (forgot some, they were hiding), will move the pictures we are not going to hang out of the living room and into a box, and will get another storage container out of the living room and downstairs for transport into the garage.
Wendy

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #141 on: February 14, 2018, 07:41:07 AM »

Great going Wendy.

The decluttering is theoretical here at the moment.
In that I've thought about and written down specific things that could go and general areas to sort through, but haven't actually got rid of anything.

I dare say that doesn't really count, but I'm hoping to turn thought into action very soon.

Helen M

• Paid Member
« Reply #142 on: February 14, 2018, 10:11:26 AM »

I've not really got going this year. There was an Age UK doorstep collection today and I put half a bag out with some books, a sweater and a duvet cover/pillowslip which are quite new and look lovely but quality a bit disappointing, they were beggars to iron >:( and life's too short I decided!

I've started to look through my clothing as I think by this time in the winter if you haven't worn something maybe it's time for it to go.

Wendy I always manage to leave some Christmas stuff out no matter how many times I look round to check, as you say they hide!
Sewing in Cheshire

[/url]

Lessalt

• Paid Member
« Reply #143 on: February 15, 2018, 05:23:21 AM »

i have lost my desire to sew mostly I think because of changes to my husband's health. However, I decided that possibly a good cleaning was in order. I've got four large sacks of fabric and still culling. There are non credit classes at the local community college who will be the beneficiaries.
And, I got a new small recliner for when I want to read or watch TV in my sewing room. So, I'm feeling hopeful that I will get my mojo back.

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #144 on: February 15, 2018, 07:25:42 AM »

Its good that you have somewhere to donate the fabric.
Health issues for ourselves or our nearest are always challenging in how they impact normal life.

I'm getting further with the planning what I am going to let go of. I've mentioned specific things to different people and that I hope will help as it makes me accountable in some way to follow through.

Ann

• Paid Member
    • Everything Sewing
« Reply #145 on: February 15, 2018, 10:28:58 AM »

Lessalt, sorry to hear that your husband has changing health issues. I know how that feels.

You are so fortunate to have a place to send your fabric to. That is so awesome. We haven't a lot here other than guilds and thrift shops.

We keep working on keeping the clutter down and the recycling bags full. We have really changed in our thinking that way as we didn't have our cloth bags yesterday when shopping and, unhappily, brought home two plastic bags. The cloth bags are now in the vehicle and not in the front hall closet.

Next up is to get the packing boxes gone. I will be posting an ad on social media so someone else can use them when moving.
Education is a journey not a race.

http://everythingsewing.blogspot.ca/

purplefibermom

• Paid Member
« Reply #146 on: March 04, 2018, 12:09:49 AM »

I've been removing non-sewing related items from the sewing room (each time asking - how did that get in here?!).  Laid out most of my newer stash on the guest room bed - sorted by color and type and put away in a more organized method. 

sdBev

• Paid Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #147 on: March 04, 2018, 02:23:19 AM »

I've been removing non-sewing related items from the sewing room (each time asking - how did that get in here?!).  ...
Oh I ve been there. For me the answer was being vigilant and a real b*tch when family/friends dropped things off.  I informed them all in the most disagreeable terms that my sewing room was not a dumping ground.
sdBev

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #148 on: March 04, 2018, 08:45:07 AM »

I've not actually made much visible progress in decluttering but I have been planning:-

It falls into several categories:-
1. sewing room - I'm going to empty out the freestanding wooden shelving and move to the garage (to store paint, tools, gardening supplies etc in an ordered way), buy and errect a new cupboard with closing doors and sort the fabric back into it. We were going to order the cupboard on Friday but the snow has kiboshed that It will have slightly less storage space than the current shelving (deliberately) so I'll 'shop the stash' and put the pieces I'm most excited about back and find ways to release the rest.
2. books/papers - ongoing work to sort through and recycle paper and magazines. I am making slow progress on this and managed to fill the paper section on last fortnight's recycling collection. I haven't relooked at the books yet.
3. loft - still saving stuff for my friend, her house needed a new roof so things have been delayed a bit. Hopefully later spring/early summer and she can choose the things she wants. Any excess will get donated to charity
4. I sold my bike for charity as I haven't used it in 7 years, I have some furniture and old white goods to donate as well.

Once all that is done the place just feel less cluttered and more organised!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 09:26:19 AM by Sew Ruthie Sews »

warpjr1965

• Paid Member
« Reply #149 on: March 10, 2018, 06:54:56 PM »

Decluttering was on hold while our French student was here, but we made great progress getting ready!

Will continue to work on the basics: keeping the mail from taking over the dining table, LOL>

Plan to pull out one box from the garage this weekend and sort through that.

w
Wendy

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #150 on: March 10, 2018, 09:18:32 PM »

Have booked the local hospice furniture shop collection van to take the old fridge and old freezer plus some smaller furniture items on Thursday next week.
Be good to get that stuff gone.

Judith

• Paid Member
« Reply #151 on: March 11, 2018, 12:05:38 AM »

Lessalt, sorry to hear that your husband has changing health issues. I know how that feels.

You are so fortunate to have a place to send your fabric to. That is so awesome. We haven't a lot here other than guilds and thrift shops.

We keep working on keeping the clutter down and the recycling bags full. We have really changed in our thinking that way as we didn't have our cloth bags yesterday when shopping and, unhappily, brought home two plastic bags. The cloth bags are now in the vehicle and not in the front hall closet.

Next up is to get the packing boxes gone. I will be posting an ad on social media so someone else can use them when moving.

Something that might help: we leave our grocery bags at the door, not in the closet. They are sort of in your face. So the first person going out the door pretty much has to take them out to the car. Also, when we first started this, almost 20 years ago now, we were diligent, when we forgot to take the cloth bags into the store, that one of us had to schlep out to the car and get them. Sure developed better habits fast with that motivation. We’ve moved away from cloth bags to the sturdier containers that fold up. We set them out in the grocery cart before shopping. Makes it easier to pack.

When I watch people loading up those dinky little plastic bags at the grocery store I want to tap them on the shoulder and tell them how much easier their unpacking can be with their own sturdy containers
People are generally as happy as they allow themselves to be. Abraham Lincoln

Judith

• Paid Member
« Reply #152 on: March 11, 2018, 12:13:44 AM »

Will continue to work on the basics: keeping the mail from taking over the dining table, LOL>

Two things that helped me

1. Deal with mail immediately
2. Discard envelopes immediately

I have two pretty small baskets. One is for credit card receipts, since we pay for just about everything that way, as well as anything that has to be filed or dealt with. There’s not much of that in this electronic age.  The other is for stuff that has to be shredded. Anything ”iffy” , like an ad for something we might want, can live, unfolded and  sans envelope, on the counter, for one day. If it’s not filed by then, it’s recycle bin or shred basket.

We are both slightly claustrophobic.  This system keeps us sane :)

Ann

• Paid Member
    • Everything Sewing
« Reply #153 on: March 11, 2018, 09:30:06 AM »

Something that might help: we leave our grocery bags at the door, not in the closet. They are sort of in your face. So the first person going out the door pretty much has to take them out to the car. Also, when we first started this, almost 20 years ago now, we were diligent, when we forgot to take the cloth bags into the store, that one of us had to schlep out to the car and get them. Sure developed better habits fast with that motivation. We’ve moved away from cloth bags to the sturdier containers that fold up. We set them out in the grocery cart before shopping. Makes it easier to pack.

When I watch people loading up those dinky little plastic bags at the grocery store I want to tap them on the shoulder and tell them how much easier their unpacking can be with their own sturdy containers

Judith, we still don't know why the bags ended up in the hall closet. They usually are by the stairs so that DH or I take them out the next trip out the door.

All of the bags we use for shopping have been made by me. Some are nearly 10 years old and still can be packed full. I make them out of 20" x width of fabric and line them. I also interface with a craft interfacing. DD and DDIL love the ones I make for them. We also have a cooler that we can plug into the car for meat in the summer. It is a part of our lives now as we decided to see how few plastic grocery bags we bring into the house. So far this year 6 or less.

Ann

mudcat

• Paid Member
  • Sonoran Desert / subtropical
« Reply #154 on: March 11, 2018, 02:18:18 PM »

Natural Grocer (a small grocery chain) doesn't provide bags at all.  They will give you a box (excess from stocking shelves).  The only reason I still get plastic bags at a different place we shop is because we use them for daily litter box cleaning. If we didn't use those we'd have to buy some.  Once we are petless (probably another 4-5 years) we will switch to taking our own bags.  When I had no pets I always insisted on paper when stores started switching to plastic.  This was back before the push to reuse.

I need to get back to getting rid of stuff.  In January I tried that Minimalist game but didn't get past nine days for a total of 165 items which is still quite a bit and am trying again for March as last month I only tossed out some worn out clothes and added a few items to a bag destined for the Humane Society thrift store.

warpjr1965

• Paid Member
« Reply #155 on: March 11, 2018, 03:38:30 PM »

I need to get back to getting rid of stuff.  In January I tried that Minimalist game but didn't get past nine days for a total of 165 items which is still quite a bit

I personally think this is the beauty of the Mins game. You can start off, and not "finish", and still accomplish quite a bit!  I won't be playing this month, as I've already got a plan for attack.

Judith, thanks for the mail tips. I am definitely part of the problem, but honestly after years of everyone else just dumping the mail on the table, well, it is hard to stay motivated to manage it daily.  I will definitely have to get some sort of bill system going.  I may push that idea off till April though.
Wendy

Ann

• Paid Member
    • Everything Sewing
« Reply #156 on: March 11, 2018, 03:40:42 PM »

We have to use clear plastic bags except for one small white one per large bag. We put kitty litter into small clear bags that we buy. If we could use plastic grocery bags I would ask for two a week for the litter. I got two paper bags yesterday and they are put away for when we need them. I was really excited to get them.

Ann

Judith

• Paid Member
« Reply #157 on: March 11, 2018, 03:57:07 PM »

We’ve noticed that paper bags don’t seem to be a common option in Alberta

Judith

• Paid Member
« Reply #158 on: March 11, 2018, 03:59:57 PM »

We’ve switched to containers similar to these. I find them very handy in Costco type stores

https://www.amazon.ca/Planet-Reusable-Grocery-Shopping-Bags/dp/B019EGP57I/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1520783852&sr=8-10&keywords=grocery+bags

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #159 on: March 11, 2018, 04:00:49 PM »

In the UK plastic bags are 5 pence each (7 US cents) now as an encouragement to use fewer of them.

The shops sell more sturdy bags and I have also made some of my own. I keep some in the car, some in my handbag, and get more out when I'm off to do the main grocery shopping trip.
If you have home delivery, you can have them in plastic boxes which you then unpack and return to the driver.

LynnH

• Paid Member
« Reply #160 on: March 11, 2018, 05:40:20 PM »

In our area, grocery stores forced us to plastic years ago and stopped offering paper bags.  We switched to reusable bags compliments of my sewing machine.  Then the state decided that too many plastic bags were being trashed and they now charge 5 cents for each bag.  I just shake my head in that we didn't want the plastic - it was forced on us and now we have to pay that bill too.

I love business decisions!

Meanwhile - I'd decluttering my desk while the upstairs bathroom is being painted.
Lynn

Ann

• Paid Member
    • Everything Sewing
« Reply #161 on: March 12, 2018, 10:18:23 AM »

In the stores we shop in in NS, only Walmart charges for plastic bags. In BC, it depended on the store you were shopping in. Some charged, others didn't. New Brunswick and Nova Scotia rumble lots about banning plastic grocery bags but it hasn't happened yet.

The one grocery store we shop at has paper bags under the counter and you have to ask for them if you want your groceries packed in them. The cashier gave me these two for our bread and a plant.

Judith, I do like those containers you posted the link to. We will stay with the fabric. DD loves hers as I usually do hers in a western/country theme. DDIL just takes what I make for her though I have done a couple she really loves. One has frogs on it.

Ann

Helen M

• Paid Member
« Reply #162 on: March 12, 2018, 10:29:05 AM »

Decided yesterday that it's time to get back to the basics with this. I'd saved a few articles on clearing out/spring cleaning/ decluttering so read some again and ditched a few.

One was on Marie Kondo so it's back to the 'does it give you joy' mantra to get me kick started! My tidying was going well but just really moving things from one room to another which isn't exactly the object is it. ;)

We'll see how it goes!
Sewing in Cheshire

[/url]

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #163 on: March 12, 2018, 05:57:32 PM »

I recycled a load of old magazines
It has not made much of a dent. sigh

Ann

• Paid Member
    • Everything Sewing
« Reply #164 on: March 13, 2018, 09:24:32 AM »

I went through the trims I have collected for doll clothes. I bagged a lot of them so they are now organized. Some need to be done when I buy more bags this weekend. I use zip top sandwich bags. In the collection was some tiny pieces of expensive lace trim. I threw them in the trash and took them back out yesterday. I removed all the pearl beads for doll necklaces and then put the pieces back into the trash.

We have been working hard at trying to keep the clutter down and seem to be doing a good job. We put the flyers into a pile for DS as he needs them for fire starter in their wood stove. Everything else is sorted and put into the right bins. Even the table is almost empty. This week is recycling but we may hold on to ours for another 2 weeks as we don't have a lot. We can put out 10 bags of recycling every two weeks so can hold off as we only have 2 part bags.

I have been looking at magazines when I shop in certain stores but keep walking by without buying. We have an agreement that we will use or iPads for reading. We will buy occasionally but not monthly. It is working out okay as we use the library weekly for books and magazines.

Ann

angelsweb

• Paid Member
« Reply #165 on: March 13, 2018, 06:24:42 PM »

I recycled a load of old magazines
It has not made much of a dent. sigh

Ruthie, old magazines are a big challenge for me too ... I hate to just recycle my sewing and knitting magazines, but as my Mom used to say, I probably won't live long enough to make even one project from each of them.  Unfortunately,  the Freecycle organization where we live now is not very active., so the magazines are piling up ...

I also cleared out a bunch of old catalogs yesterday. Now I need to tackle the next round of too-big clothes. I have to face the fact I'm not really going to remake most of them ...

Angelia

Helen M

• Paid Member
« Reply #166 on: March 13, 2018, 08:02:16 PM »

I'm another one who becomes attached to magazines. I find it really hard to let some of them go.
Sewing in Cheshire

[/url]

Garden Girl

• Paid Member
  • Middle California
« Reply #167 on: March 13, 2018, 11:02:36 PM »

I need to get back to getting rid of stuff.  In January I tried that Minimalist game but didn't get past nine days for a total of 165 items which is still quite a bit

I personally think this is the beauty of the Mins game. You can start off, and not "finish", and still accomplish quite a bit!  I won't be playing this month, as I've already got a plan for attack.

What's good with it is you reset to 1 each month. None of us are actually doing it anyway; it's more of an "inspired by" thing. Mins Game "proper" we would only get rid of the number of items that correspond to that says date. And the items need to be removed from the property, or at least in the collection bin outside. Yeah, right.  :rotfl:
Mudcat, you got rid of about 17 days worth per the game. I'd call that successful.

Wendy, get a nice basket or metal bin that will hold at least 8.5" x 11", better if it holds a magazine if your family subscribes to any. Have them put all mail in that. Maybe designate one child as the mailbox checker so you only need to train one. I usually get our mail. Junk goes into the recycle wheelie bin before I hit the door. Bills go on the keyboard to the PC. Next person to sit opens them and puts them in their place on the desk. Still training DH on that one. He puts his hither & yon.

You can take the whole basket to a comfy spot with a trash can to sort, or at least transfer it to the counter during meals.

mudcat

• Paid Member
  • Sonoran Desert / subtropical
« Reply #168 on: March 14, 2018, 04:34:46 AM »

Mudcat, you got rid of about 17 days worth per the game. I'd call that successful.

Except I made a mistake and it was really only 45 items for 9 days.  For some reason I had a total of the running totals which caused my discrepancy as I looked at the wrong row.  I thought it seemed rather high. 

In any case I'll be having higher numbers this month as I spent most of Sunday going through my bead collection.  Some time ago I bought 500 3x4 inch baggies to put sets of small items like earrings, buttons, beads, etc.  I have one of those plastic bins where I had sorted more or less by color but found it not a very good way to work so now I've put all sets into bags.  Anything I consider too big will be donated.  I have some misc bags by color with an assortment of beads that are probably leftovers from bracelets made many years ago.  By the time I'm done I'll have a collection of beads that will work with what I want to make.

I also found 9 pairs of vintage clip on earrings that I'm donating. At one time I wore them all the time (when I lived in the rainy NW) but haven't worn them in the 20 some years I've lived in AZ. I actually thought I had already gotten rid of them. Once I'm done with the beads next on the list are the buttons ... there are 100s of them ... possibly 1000s.  More than I could possibly use in a lifetime. I have no idea what I was thinking.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 04:36:27 AM by mudcat (SWAP Coordinator) »

Melinda_B

• Paid Member
    • Better Than I Planned
« Reply #169 on: March 14, 2018, 12:18:46 PM »

What is the minimalist game?
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

Judith

• Paid Member
« Reply #170 on: March 14, 2018, 03:53:02 PM »

I have been looking at magazines when I shop in certain stores but keep walking by without buying. We have an agreement that we will use or iPads for reading. We will buy occasionally but not monthly. It is working out okay as we use the library weekly for books and magazines.

Ann

Check out an app called Texture. It’s a magazine app

In Canada, the cost is about $15 month. It carries over 100 magazines, including Macleans, Time, Newsweek, Rollng Stone, the New Yorker as well as many craft magazines, such as Wood, and the usual array of gossip/celebrity stuff.

I find it a bargain and the bonus is no paper clutter. If I find something I want to keep, I can leave the magazine on my iPad. I think I can save just the article to iBooks, or print it, but haven’t wanted to so I’m not sure

Judith

Garden Girl

• Paid Member
  • Middle California
« Reply #171 on: March 14, 2018, 06:00:51 PM »

What is the minimalist game?

We are still working on getting rid of/organizing the boxes from our move a year ago!  I was supposed to go through a box today, but it is nearly dinner time and I am putting it off till the weekend.

I have thought about playing the Mins game https://www.theminimalists.com/game/ this month, but every time I start I quit at about day 7. I suppose that is still a step toward decluttering.

Melinda, here you go! Miranda first brought it to our attention last year. That link explains it all. Short version is you eliminate items in numbers to match the calendar date; today it would be 14, tomorrow 15, etc. It starts small, so easy and builds momentum. So there is no massive purge and you decide how to count. Example: you get rid of all the obsolete business cards in the desk drawer, which number 17. You can count it as business cards, one item, or each, for 17 items. Mudcat can count all her beads as one, or bags of beads, by the fistful, or each separate bead.  ;D Lather, rinse, repeat as you like until you are content with what's left.

Melinda_B

• Paid Member
    • Better Than I Planned
« Reply #172 on: March 15, 2018, 11:38:57 AM »

We are still working on getting rid of/organizing the boxes from our move a year ago!  I was supposed to go through a box today, but it is nearly dinner time and I am putting it off till the weekend.

I have thought about playing the Mins game https://www.theminimalists.com/game/ this month, but every time I start I quit at about day 7. I suppose that is still a step toward decluttering.

Melinda, here you go! Miranda first brought it to our attention last year. That link explains it all. Short version is you eliminate items in numbers to match the calendar date; today it would be 14, tomorrow 15, etc. It starts small, so easy and builds momentum. So there is no massive purge and you decide how to count. Example: you get rid of all the obsolete business cards in the desk drawer, which number 17. You can count it as business cards, one item, or each, for 17 items. Mudcat can count all her beads as one, or bags of beads, by the fistful, or each separate bead.  ;D Lather, rinse, repeat as you like until you are content with what's left. 

Thank you - looks interesting, I might take the rest of this month to psych myself up to start next month at one
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

Garden Girl

• Paid Member
  • Middle California
« Reply #173 on: March 16, 2018, 05:20:12 AM »

Melinda, waiting for the 1st with this is a good idea. Often I suggest to people to just jump on in to something, but starting at 1 and building momentum is better than starting at 16 and feeling pressure to do it. If you follow their lead after 30 days you've removed 465 items, which is not shabby at all.

I got a little declutter help today. Twas my birthday and we were running around doing stuff I wanted to do. OK, we did wind up at the airport watching some big 4 prop US Air Force plane do touch and go for a bit, but we also spent a couple of hours at a high end shopping center where I enjoyed getting completely ignored by snooty sales clerks at some of the shops.   ;D

Stopped for cat food on the way home and the neighbor wifey said hello and let me know her Hubby had trimmed my yard for me. I refer to him as my Yard Fairy. He floats in when he wants and weed eats here and there for me- my yard is pretty low maintenance so every couple of months is all that takes plus the occasional major pruning. I can do a fair amount, just no heavy stuff or vibrating power tools.

It looked great, although, sigh, the just opened purple heads of my Muscari were scattered all over the yard and try as I might he doesn't understand that the garlic chives at the end of the herb bed are not weeds. Those had just finally recovered from last Summers butchering tidy up. The chives look like this in early Spring.

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #174 on: March 16, 2018, 07:44:14 AM »

The charity furniture shop collected 2 items of furniture (small desk and old TV cabinet) so that's great.
They said no thanks to an old fridge and freezer, both working but not in the best condition, so have offered those at work and otherwise might need to take them to the council recycling centre. So I have a plan there.

Some more magazines got recycled.
I'm just slowly chipping away at stuff.

I've been fighting a virus this week and not felt too well so am not giving myself too hard a time and just taking small steps.

I did think that some books are not being read and are not interesting to me, so I should pass them on. Not the most urgent though so maybe for another day.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »   Go Up

Fabric Mart Fabrics Style Arc Sewing Patterns Put Your Ad Here
Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here