Author Topic: Best Pants Pattern for an Advanced Beginner?  (Read 5239 times)

Offline melissamade

Best Pants Pattern for an Advanced Beginner?
« on: March 13, 2011, 02:54:12 AM »
I am NO expert, I want a pants pattern with really good directions. not looking to do elastic, that I can do.  I want to do a real waistband.  I already bought and sold :postal:. Silhouettes pants patterns  :-X   I am about to try vogue i heard good things.  Any one care to give me some advice on what patterns are better for someone who is an advanced beginner. 

thank you so much. 8)

Offline reanns

• Re's Home on the Road
Re: Best Pants Pattern for an Advanced Beginner?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 03:39:11 AM »
Hi - Connie Crawford does wonderful fitting patterns for Butterick.  The woman who teaches pants and bodice pattern fitting for our sewing groups swears by them and uses nothing else.  And I must admit, she fitted me in #5222 and they are perfect.  This is a classic pants pattern, front and back darts, front zipper, waistband.  My other favorites are The Sewing Workshop's Hudson pants and the Trio Pants. 

Good luck and keep us posted on your results.

ReAnn

Offline dianeS

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 03:24:59 PM »
I recently took a pants fitting class and the instructor would
only let us use a Burda envelope pattern. My alterations ended up being quite simple and  I didn't have to deal with the fabric bunching under the rear end like the I get with the Big 4.

Offline LizGo

• My sewing pictures
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 03:58:59 PM »
I always think the issue with pants is not the construction so much but the fit. There are several good pant patterns which come to mind with great instruction but you're also going to want a pattern that helps you with the fit. I recently was very impressed with the Amazing Fit pants by Simplicity. It's a classic pant pattern with fly front and contoured waistband and the pattern guides you through the fit process as well. The first time I recall making a successful pant was a Burda pattern and every Burda pant I've used since has been great too. But Burda fits me, and I have no idea if they will fit you. One other pattern which impressed me was the La Fred Daphne. It is a simple slim leg pant with a back zipper and has some of the best instructions I've ever used.

Offline Doris W. in TN

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 05:17:17 PM »
Your money might be better spent on a good reference book on making pants, like Palmer/Pletsch's, or the old Singer book on sewing pants.
http://www.amazon.com/Sewing-Pants-Singer-Reference-Library/dp/0865732523/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1300036494&sr=1-1
I would not count on a pattern to give sufficient instruction, but that's just been my experience.

Offline sammie_s

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 05:56:19 PM »
Lots of folks have good luck with burda.  I've found that their fit requires fewer adjustments for me, BUT we all have different shapes.

Offline Karen Roth

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 05:59:36 PM »
Are you looking for really good directions for CONSTRUCTION (waistband comment seems to affirm that's the case) or fit?   If the former I agree with Doris on not depending on a particular pattern for that, I don't think one can do it all.... though I've found different interesting instructions in various patterns.  And even within a given line/brand, there can be differences in the fit/draft/style.
Karen

Offline Patti B

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 09:09:30 PM »

For a basic, good looking pant, I would try Jalie 2909. These fit me the best right off the pattern with Burda running next. If the style appeals to you, you might give them a try. These are very basic with no pockets. I sewed mine with a side zip instead of the fly front. In fact, I need to make another pair soon.

Offline melissamade

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 10:23:01 PM »
I am looking for a good pattern that i can understand and also a good book.  I was looking at Palmers book, I have some of the Mc calls pants patterns.  My problem is Crotch length, Being so tall I can never seem to get it right.

Offline theresa in tucson

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 06:40:40 AM »
Melissa, then Palmer and Pletsch Pants book is what you want or the Singer Sewing Reference Library book on pants, although you may find with the Palmer and Pletsch(like some of us here) that tissue fitting is difficult when you are doing it solo.  I've just always said the heck with it and did a muslin, taking my time.  I am like you and need  higher rise than what comes with the pattern.  When I did my TNT pants and TNT jeans patterns I used both the Singer book and the Palmer and Pletsch.  Good information in both books.  As far as pattern, I used the McCall's Palmer and Pletsch patterns both times.

Offline Carolyn

• Carolyn's Sewing Room
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 01:18:35 PM »
I highly recommended the Palmer and Pletch book.  It's a must for everyone.  I would also look at Peggy Sagers videos on fitting pants.  She drapes a pants pattern on a body and talks a great deal about fitting the crotch area.  Her website is http://www.silhouettepatterns.com/ and the webcasts can be found under upcoming events.
Carolyn

"If God had intended for us to stay one waist size, he wouldn't have invented elastic"...  Christee Gabour Atwood

Blog:  http://carolynobryan.blogspot.com/

Offline su-sew

• wordpress
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 02:51:47 PM »
I can't suggest a particular pattern, but if it's your first try making pants, certain design details will make it easier. Either a straight cut waistband or a faced waist will be easier to construct than pants with  contour waist.  If you're comfortable with sewing together reverse curves, you could manage a contour waist.    Burda patterns tend to construct pants in a different order than the big 4- the centre back seam and waistband are usually sewn together in one seam giving you the opportunity to tweak the fit some more.   With Burda, the pattern sizing is true to your measurements.   

I still wear the first pants I made -OK, only at the cottage.  It was a Burda with angled front pockets and a faced waist. I was cautious and cut a size larger at the side seams- didn't need to compared to the big 4, so they were looser than they should have been.
My blog: sewstyled.wordpress.com

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics