Stitcher's Guild Reloaded

Advanced search  

News:

Using three or more URLs in one post may cause a "Forbidden" error.  To help prevent problems, try to remember to "copy" your post before you hit "preview" or "send" so if you get an error you can simply "paste" your words to try again.  Most posts do go through after a few tries.

Author Topic: The future of SG  (Read 29737 times)

ClaireC

• Paid Member
Re: The future of SG
« Reply #455 on: January 13, 2018, 03:25:30 PM »

DL, I just sent my $35 via PP. (Claire Ciarciello)

I personally have no problem with a paid subscription. I know how much time and effort I put into my full time paying job, and cannot begin to fathum resources (time and money) required to run SG.

I've been a mostly non-contributing member since this site was started after SW bit the dust.  I haven't sewn in a few years, so I didn't have much to contribute with my "voice".  I intend to return to sewing, knitting, crocheting, etc, so may start posting once again.

I missed the site issues and political firestorms from last year. (thank goodness!!!)  I was very happy to have found the new site last year, and I'm triple happy to provide some financial support.

DL, and all the mods, thank you from the bottom of my heart for every single thing you do. 
Claire  :D
***Returning to sewing after a several year hiatus***

DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #456 on: January 13, 2018, 03:36:44 PM »

I personally have no problem with a paid subscription. I know how much time and effort I put into my full time paying job, and cannot begin to fathum resources (time and money) required to run SG.

I've been a mostly non-contributing member since this site was started after SW bit the dust.  I haven't sewn in a few years, so I didn't have much to contribute with my "voice".  I intend to return to sewing, knitting, crocheting, etc, so may start posting once again.

I missed the site issues and political firestorms from last year. (thank goodness!!!)  I was very happy to have found the new site last year, and I'm triple happy to provide some financial support.

DL, and all the mods, thank you from the bottom of my heart for every single thing you do. 

Received; thank-you. :)

You're all fixed.

And "you're welcome". :)
To continue accessing all the great features of our forum, it is now necessary to purchase a subscription.  To do so, just open your profile, click the "actions" tab, then follow the prompts.  Important: untick the "recurring payments" box; as we're not set up with PayPal to allow automatic renewals.  If you should have any trouble, just email me: dl@artisanssquare.com

--------
Are you looking for the perfect buttons?  I just may have them in my Etsy shop!
https://www.etsy.com/shop/RoadsideAttractions

ClaireC

• Paid Member
« Reply #457 on: January 13, 2018, 05:33:19 PM »

Received; thank-you. :)

You're all fixed.

And "you're welcome". :)

Thank you, again!!!! 
***Returning to sewing after a several year hiatus***

DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #458 on: February 02, 2018, 06:48:44 PM »

It's been two weeks since the "attachments" directory has started working, and while there have been a couple of isolated incidents, there doesn't seem to be any new issues or problems.

So...we should be able to get back on the planned track to continue with our changeover to the subscription model.  That means sometime this weekend I'll be changing permissions so that those who are not subscribed will be more limited. I have a list of the changes I'm considering, but won't know for sure 'til I get in there and start monkeying around just what is or is not feasible just yet. I'm going to take this slowly, to try to minimize the impact and to make sure everything continues to function as we go.

To continue accessing all the great features of our forum, it is now necessary to purchase a subscription.  To do so, just open your profile, click the "actions" tab, then follow the prompts.  Important: untick the "recurring payments" box; as we're not set up with PayPal to allow automatic renewals.  If you should have any trouble, just email me: dl@artisanssquare.com

--------

Judith

• Paid Member
« Reply #459 on: February 02, 2018, 07:24:29 PM »

A suggestion. I hope the focus, in deciding what to allow without paying, will be to encourage subscriptions.

Judith
People are generally as happy as they allow themselves to be. Abraham Lincoln

Joyce P

• Paid Member
« Reply #460 on: February 02, 2018, 09:22:52 PM »

I hope there's more site-wide notice than I've seen so far  ;)

andib

• O/T Politics
« Reply #461 on: February 03, 2018, 12:24:29 AM »

I agree about notification.   People don't look at every topic,  and I'm sure a lot of folks have no idea about the changeover.

Melinda_B

• Paid Member
    • Better Than I Planned
« Reply #462 on: February 03, 2018, 02:32:39 AM »

I agree about notification.   People don't look at every topic,  and I'm sure a lot of folks have no idea about the changeover.

I don't think DL can be held responsible if people choose not to read topics that obviously relate to the site management, such as this one. 
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

AnnetteB

• Paid Member
« Reply #463 on: February 03, 2018, 02:56:11 AM »

I don't think DL can be held responsible if people choose not to read topics that obviously relate to the site management, such as this one.

I agree Melinda_B.
Annette
near Gladstone, Queensland, Australia

andib

• O/T Politics
« Reply #464 on: February 03, 2018, 02:11:53 PM »

No one is responsible. ...just saying there may be people who have not noticed it.

Judith

• Paid Member
« Reply #465 on: February 03, 2018, 03:00:16 PM »

I am surprised at the people who participate on a regular basis, often posting several times a day, who say that they wonít be subscribing. After using this as a free service all these years,  I think itís only fair to cough up $35 in order to at least give it a chance to survive. I donít do garment sewing any longer, but I still get a huge benefit from other topics.

Judith

marciae

• Paid Member
« Reply #466 on: February 03, 2018, 03:02:41 PM »

I am surprised at the people who participate on a regular basis, often posting several times a day, who say that they wonít be subscribing. After using this as a free service all these years,  I think itís only fair to cough up $35 in order to at least give it a chance to survive. I donít do garment sewing any longer, but I still get a huge benefit from other topics.

Judith

Well said - I couldn't agree more!!

SuziQz

« Reply #467 on: February 03, 2018, 09:49:39 PM »

Judith

You are assuming that people who are not subscribing now have used this as a FREE service for years, which is not necessarily true.  I have donated most years since SG started to give the board a way to continue. 

Judith

• Paid Member
« Reply #468 on: February 04, 2018, 01:24:25 AM »

I am surprised at the people who participate on a regular basis, often posting several times a day, who say that they won’t be subscribing. After using this as a free service all these years,  I think it’s only fair to cough up $35 in order to at least give it a chance to survive. I don’t do garment sewing any longer, but I still get a huge benefit from other topics.

Judith

You are assuming that people who are not subscribing now have used this as a FREE service for years, which is not necessarily true.  I have donated most years since SG started to give the board a way to continue.

I’m not making that assumption. Please do not put words in my mouth. I meant exactly what I said.

Judith

SuziQz

« Reply #469 on: February 04, 2018, 02:11:43 AM »

You are judging people for not "coughing up" the fee when you say that it is only fair for people to do so.  Perhaps it is easy for you to pay $35, but that does not mean that is so for everyone.

Judith

• Paid Member
« Reply #470 on: February 04, 2018, 02:35:58 AM »

You are judging people for not "coughing up" the fee when you say that it is only fair for people to do so.  Perhaps it is easy for you to pay $35, but that does not mean that is so for everyone.

Deleted part of this post. It was a mistake to engage in further discussion.

I hope the transition to the new SG contnues to go smoothly

Judth
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 07:52:08 PM by Judith »

DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #471 on: February 04, 2018, 05:04:43 AM »

Folks, let's not argue, okay?  Life is stressful enough...let's all try to keep SG our happy place. :)

--------

DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #472 on: February 05, 2018, 02:08:02 AM »

I've not made the changes I'd planned, because I realized -almost too late- the only way to do what I wanted would be to interrupt everyone for a little while, which I'm loathe to do on a weekend.

Later this week, I'll choose a quiet time, put the board into 'maintenance mode' and make the changeover.  It might cause the board to go down completely for some of you, but I don't think it will take longer than a half hour or so, and then we should be back.

I'm working on this slowly, only making one change at a time so if something causes errors I'll know just what it was.

--------

Linda75142

• Paid Member
    • Seams Well - my blog
« Reply #473 on: February 05, 2018, 10:20:45 PM »

Thanks for the heads up DL!

AnnetteB

• Paid Member
« Reply #474 on: February 05, 2018, 10:54:31 PM »

Thanks for the update DL. I haven't forgotten about you, tinkering there in the background.

I am sending you a "virtual" box of chocolates!! Don't eat them all at once.
Annette
near Gladstone, Queensland, Australia

DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #475 on: February 06, 2018, 01:01:45 AM »

I appreciate chocolate in any form! Thank-you. :)

--------

DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #476 on: February 10, 2018, 07:12:22 AM »

Okay...got a fresh o'coffee on, and gonna see if I can get this done....

We may be down for a short time, but I'll have us back online ASAP.

--------

Meg

• Paid Member
« Reply #477 on: February 17, 2018, 12:21:34 AM »

DL, thank you for the vendor and sewing supplier area!  I love it!

Syndi

• Paid Member
« Reply #478 on: February 17, 2018, 02:07:20 PM »

Where is this Meg?  I didn't see it here

Lisa

• Administrator
« Reply #479 on: February 17, 2018, 02:47:56 PM »

Where is this Meg?  I didn't see it here

Not Meg, but if you're on the home page, "Vendor Q&A" is near the bottom, right under "The Next Generation" and right above "Other Hobbies & Crafts."  "Here's a link to it."

HTH,

Lisa

Syndi

• Paid Member
« Reply #480 on: February 17, 2018, 08:28:18 PM »

thanks Lisa  :)

vtmartha

• Paid Member
« Reply #481 on: February 17, 2018, 08:34:15 PM »

For me, Lisa, that link brings up an error message.

DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #482 on: February 17, 2018, 08:52:25 PM »

For me, Lisa, that link brings up an error message.

Try this one: http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php?board=50.0

If it's still causing problems, post here to let me know.

--------

CallMeKate

• Paid Member
« Reply #483 on: February 27, 2018, 04:41:38 AM »

I know I am late to this thread, I didn't visit a lot in 2017 when I encountered the second round of site issues.

But:
1.) I sent $35 to Button Shop via PayPal, and my first name is "Kathryn" and last name begins with "L".  My PC says it is February 26 2018 on the U.S. East Coast.

2.) I also subscribe to PR, and the sites are very different in my eyes.  I am in awe of the skills of so many people on SG, and I have learned so much by following various threads.  I have been timid about sewing, but you all inspire me TO JUST DO IT.  I came to SG today because I always dream of participating in SWAP.  I first came to SG after Ann won The Great British Sewing Bee.

3.) I don't chat very much anywhere on the internet, or else I wouldn't accomplish much else. I don't expect anyone to agree with me on everything, but I appreciate when people can discuss differences civilly. 

Thank you, DragonLady, for administering this site.  In my work life I have survived several major system software changes, and the company had an entire IT department to prepare for its metamorphosis.  Bugs!  The pros still had bugs to resolve! I'm rooting for you, I appreciate you.

CCL

• Paid Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #484 on: February 27, 2018, 01:38:59 PM »

Hi Kate - and welcome!  I too love the combination of being able to ask for help, read up on some sewing advice, just doing it, and then getting more help along the way.

I agree.  If I listed all specific things, techniques, designs, garments I was emboldened to try my hand at making, sources for notions, fabrics, tutorials and just plain old moments of sewing comradery I have received from SG, I would be still typing at the end of the year.

DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #485 on: February 27, 2018, 02:19:56 PM »

I know I am late to this thread, I didn't visit a lot in 2017 when I encountered the second round of site issues.

But:
1.) I sent $35 to Button Shop via PayPal, and my first name is "Kathryn" and last name begins with "L".  My PC says it is February 26 2018 on the U.S. East Coast.

(snip)

You're all fixed up; thank-you.  Thank-you as well for your kind words. :)

--------

sharonspils

• Paid Member
« Reply #486 on: March 05, 2018, 05:52:28 AM »

Hi Dragon Lady I've just sent $35 to you via Paypal for my 2018 subscription as Sharon  and last name starts with "Sp".

DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #487 on: March 05, 2018, 05:11:14 PM »

Hi Dragon Lady I've just sent $35 to you via Paypal for my 2018 subscription as Sharon  and last name starts with "Sp".

You're all fixed.  Thank-you! :)

--------

granmomus

• Paid Member
« Reply #488 on: April 06, 2018, 03:29:17 AM »

I haven't been here for awhile so unclear about how to subscribe or where. I did donate money, can't remember when,  a couple of times but never received a response so not sure if it was received in proper area but was taken from credit card.
I have not read every topic but do realize this is now a paid subscription, I do understand that why that is necessary.
This used to be my very favorite site, would check it out a couple of times a day until one person ruined it for me, I just couldn't take her nasty remarks, a few to me but most were to others, all upsetting. I'm old, life is too short to have to deal with that on a site that I participate in for the education & enjoyment of sewing, I don't need negativity in my life. I survived and overcame an  abusive childhood, I decided I would not let that into my life ever again when I could avoid it, not always possible of course, but no need to pay for it. So in the past couple of years only come here every 2 or 3 months when it used to be at least twice a day.
I stopped coming here because of that person, if she is a member I will not subscribe but I do miss some of the sewing related topics, sewing machines & books.

Debbie S

• Paid Member
« Reply #489 on: April 06, 2018, 04:11:03 AM »

Granmomus,  I have missed hearing from you on SG. I  knew why you left the site, but was saddened to see you leave. I think of you and smile every time I pick up my Kia scissors, as you generously shared the sale email they sent you. Glad to hear from you!!!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »   Go Up

Fabric Mart Fabrics Style Arc Sewing Patterns Put Your Ad Here
Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here