Author Topic: Sandbox!  (Read 29008 times)

Offline kowgiirl.up

• Subscribed Member
Re: Sandbox!
« Reply #280 on: June 10, 2018, 11:46:42 PM »
I thought I had this figured out but I guess not.

Testing posting pics a couple of different ways to see which works. I'm hoping it will embed into the forum and not be just a link.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aXDWnbNZWCLHyFz7A

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aXDWnbNZWCLHyFz7A

Theresa

Runs with scissors

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
« Reply #281 on: June 11, 2018, 02:19:42 AM »
Hi kowgiirl.up!

I played around with your image (got there using your link), and eventually got this:

Not sure how long it will last (google images are sometimes temporary, but the only way to see if that's true of this method is to try it out...).

Here's what I did:

1.  When on the page your link took me to, I clicked on the image, which got me a larger version of the image.

2.  Right-click on the larger version of the image, and choose "copy image address" (if you're using Chrome) or whatever the equivalent is for your browser.

3.  Then come back to your post and put your cursor where you want the image, the click the "insert image" button (second row, first button above the editing/reply window).  This will leave your cursor between the img tags.  Leave it there, then copy the image address you got from Google Photos (Ctrl+V).  Note that this is a very, very, long image url.  Don't try to shorten it!

4.  Before you preview your reply to check the image, give yourself a little bit of insurance, so that you don't lose your reply.  Copy the entire reply (Ctrl+C) so that you don't lose your post when you preview the reply...if you do, you'll just paste the entire thing back in your reply window.

5.  Then click the "preview" window and check the size of your image.  My copy of your image was way, way too large.  So I needed to reduce the size.  If yours is ok as is, then you can click "post" (assuming your post is complete).

If you need to reduce the size of your image (like I did) here's what you do:

6.  Go to the opening img tag just before the code you copied from Google Plus.  It looks like this:
Code: [Select]
[img]
7.  Put your cursor between the "g" and the "]", then add a space, the word "width" and then the "=" sign and the size you want for your image, in pixels.  For SG, you'll want 500 pixels if your image is in landscape orientation and 350 pixels if your image in is portrait orientation.  For your square image, I used 500...use what you like, but nothing larger, please.

This code looks like this inside the opening img tag:
[img width=500]
Give it a try! :smiles-pom2: :smiles-pom2: :smiles-pom2: (and we'll both find out in a couple of days if your image will stay!)

HTH,

Lisa
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 02:21:30 AM by Lisa »

Offline kowgiirl.up

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #282 on: June 11, 2018, 02:43:28 PM »
ok Thanks Lisa, I’ll give that a go  :computer:
Theresa

Runs with scissors

Offline kowgiirl.up

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #283 on: June 11, 2018, 11:43:12 PM »
Testing the upload to directly to the forum feature

Edited to change size of the original pic.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 11:02:14 PM by kowgiirl.up »
Theresa

Runs with scissors

Offline bessiecrocker

• Subscribed Member
  • Winner's Points: 1
« Reply #284 on: June 12, 2018, 07:49:13 AM »
Looks good to me! I also need to practice this method of picture posting.

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #285 on: June 12, 2018, 11:44:56 AM »
The only problem with the Attachment option for photos is that the size that is uploaded matters. For example, Teresa, when I click on your attached photo to see it better, it goes to the huge file 1.01MB that you uploaded. We can't resize or move that huge photo around to see it better. So try to upload a medium sized photo (say in the 200 kB range rather than the 1 or 2MB size)

For example, this photo is 135 kB and when you click on it you can see the detail better without blowing it up to a size that can't be discernable.

Another limitation with using the Attachments option for photos is that you can only upload one three photos per post.

Kathryn

« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 12:44:56 PM by fzxdoc »
My blog: I Made This! at http://imadethis-asewingblog.blogspot.com/
Flickr Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72428033@N00/albums

2018 Dress a Month count:

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #286 on: June 12, 2018, 12:01:55 PM »
Another limitation with using the Attachments option for photos is that you can only upload one photo per post.

Let me try to change that to three. If you have more photos than that, a single word post -"cont'd" or "more" will allow you to upload three more.
The road to our success is always under construction.
If you should have any trouble with any aspect of the forums, just email me: dl@artisanssquare.com

======================

Buy a Subscription Now to participate in all of our great discussions! Less than .75¢ per week for all-you-can-eat access. :)

Gift Subscriptions are available, too; just message me for assistance anytime.

======================

Check out my Etsy shop for gorgeous buttons & other craft supplies:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/RoadsideAttractions

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #287 on: June 12, 2018, 12:07:41 PM »
Another limitation with using the Attachments option for photos is that you can only upload one photo per post.

Let me try to change that to three. If you have more photos than that, a single word post -"cont'd" or "more" will allow you to upload three more.

It's already set to allow 3.

When I navigate to a photo, the link to add another appears under the field for the first.  Is this not happening for everyone?
If you should have any trouble with any aspect of the forums, just email me: dl@artisanssquare.com

======================

Buy a Subscription Now to participate in all of our great discussions! Less than .75¢ per week for all-you-can-eat access. :)

======================

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #288 on: June 12, 2018, 12:43:38 PM »
I tried earlier. I'll try again. It was before my pail of coffee had been imbibed.

Oops, my bad. I'll amend my post to Teresa.

Kathryn

Offline kowgiirl.up

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #289 on: June 12, 2018, 02:32:24 PM »
After I posted I saw that may photo was huge but opted not to change it then because my sewing machine was crying for attention. What’s a girl to do in that case?

I think if we were to talk more of size choices instead of or along with, file size (I know it does matter at times) then it might be easier for those of us that really don’t get all the geek speak. Maybe that’s been addressed in this thread IDK.
Most photo editing software gives you dimension choices and file size but dimension is the easiest to understand - think picture frame.

A good finish size would be like 800x800 or something? I would have to test it on my big computer :)

I just think it’s so cool that we can upload directly to the forum. I’m ok with limits. Just having this feature is AWESOME!!

Ok back to picture testing.....
Theresa

Runs with scissors

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
« Reply #290 on: June 13, 2018, 09:35:37 PM »
I just think it’s so cool that we can upload directly to the forum. I’m ok with limits. Just having this feature is AWESOME!!

Just to let you know...three more limitations when you upload directly to the forum (using the "Attachments and other options" link under the editing/reply window):

1.  All of your images will be included under a line that is under all of the text in your post.  You can't place the images where you want them in the midst of your text.

2.  When the site is being cleaned up, attachments are deleted.  We used to say that was done every 30 days, but I don't know the current schedule.  Note that the "30-day clean-up" wasn't 30 days after you post.  It's just every 30 days, and might be only minutes after you post! :o

3.  If you're trying to get advice on something in a photo, attaching it means it's not available for viewing while other members are trying to post a reply to you.  You can see what I mean by that if you click "reply" and the scroll down below.  You won't see any of the attached images there...and in fact you won't see any until the one I "hot linked" from your photo hosting site.

That said, an image (however posted) is always better than no image.  I'd just encourage you to hot link when you can!

HTH,

Lisa

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #291 on: June 14, 2018, 03:49:32 AM »
We used to say that was done every 30 days, but I don't know the current schedule.

I don't have a schedule to do it on now.  I figure if the directory starts getting full, I'll issue a warning a few days before I clean it out the first time, then use that date as a first benchmark for how often it will need to be done thereafter.

======================

======================

Offline Garden Girl

• Subscribed Member
  • Middle California
« Reply #292 on: June 14, 2018, 04:18:45 AM »
After I posted I saw that may photo was huge but opted not to change it then because my sewing machine was crying for attention. What’s a girl to do in that case?

I think if we were to talk more of size choices instead of or along with, file size (I know it does matter at times) then it might be easier for those of us that really don’t get all the geek speak. Maybe that’s been addressed in this thread IDK.
Most photo editing software gives you dimension choices and file size but dimension is the easiest to understand - think picture frame.

A good finish size would be like 800x800 or something? I would have to test it on my big computer :)

In regards to your size question Lisa posted this earlier

7.  Put your cursor between the "g" and the "]", then add a space, the word "width" and then the "=" sign and the size you want for your image, in pixels.  For SG, you'll want 500 pixels if your image is in landscape orientation and 350 pixels if your image in is portrait orientation.  For your square image, I used 500...use what you like, but nothing larger, please.

Nothing over 500 please she says. If you do learn how to embed your photos you can follow Lisa's excellent instructions to size them down. If we click on them we get to see the bigger version.

I have this theory that the majority of people with fancy cameras phones or cameras who aren't techy or used to Geek Speak as you put it have their cameras set for a much higher resolution and therefore file size then they need for any use they have of the photos. Most of us are not having posters or murals done of our garments, so it can be a bit of overkill.

My Sister in law used to email me attached photos of my 2 year old niece that were so big that when opened all I saw was one nostril. I kid not. It became a bit of a joke and I would need to put them in my photo editing program and make them much smaller to see what the rest of the kid looked like. Turns out SIL didn't even know she could change those settings.

Offline Helen M

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #293 on: June 14, 2018, 09:12:30 AM »
I agree about the size of pictures on tablets, phones and cameras. I remembered that my camera 8 years old (antiquated you may say!!) allows you to resize on the camera and makes a copy of the original which isn't altered in any way. It comes in the editing section so maybe others have the option. Phones and tablets I don't know how to resize but their pictures are far too big!
Sewing in Cheshire

Offline kowgiirl.up

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #294 on: June 14, 2018, 04:07:22 PM »
Thanks Gardengirl for pointing that out.. I did see that in Lisa’s post.

What I should have said is, a good picture size to start with before adding the width tag to the image if that makes sense.

Helen one thing that I figured out when I try to post from my phone or iPad (kind of a pain) is to email the pic to myself and letting the email program give me the choice of file size to send. My MSN & Gmail offers that up when attaching pics :)

Lisa, are the pics that you posted from my link of still showing up or have the disappeared?
Theresa

Runs with scissors

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #295 on: June 14, 2018, 04:35:16 PM »
Teresa, when I email photos to myself, I select the Medium size when given that option on my iPhone before the image is mailed. That's the size that works best here.

800x800 is too large. It should be 350xwhatever (assuming the aspect code is locked) for portrait photos (longer than wide) and 500xwhatever for landscape photos (wider than long).

And the photos on your drafting your own pattern topic that I fixed for you are still up.

The one that Lisa fixed here in the Sandbox a couple of days ago is still up as well. :)

HTH,
Kathryn

« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 04:37:12 PM by fzxdoc »

Offline kowgiirl.up

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #296 on: June 14, 2018, 11:05:30 PM »
Testing Lisa's tip in reply 281

Does it show up?

Theresa

Runs with scissors

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
« Reply #297 on: June 14, 2018, 11:14:04 PM »
Yes it does!

Nicely done, Teresa. :heart_smilie:

Lisa

Offline bessiecrocker

• Subscribed Member
  • Winner's Points: 1
« Reply #298 on: June 19, 2018, 05:50:30 AM »

Offline PJSewingal

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #299 on: July 10, 2018, 02:09:39 AM »
I am trying to figure out how to link to a particular page (for example on my blog) without all the words for the link being displayed.  But I don't know how to keep the link but change the name of it...

For example:
https://spoolsandyards.wordpress.com/2018/07/09/vogue-1033-stylearc-mashup/

How do I change the title of the link to just say 'blog'.  I am sure it is simple but I am not seeing how to do it.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Paula
Sew many ideas, Sew little time

Blog: https://spoolsandyards.wordpress.com/

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #300 on: July 10, 2018, 03:25:54 AM »
IF you "quote" this message, you'll see how I changed it to display the way you want it to.

I am trying to figure out how to link to a particular page (for example on my blog) without all the words for the link being displayed.  But I don't know how to keep the link but change the name of it...

For example:
Your preferred text here

How do I change the title of the link to just say 'blog'.  I am sure it is simple but I am not seeing how to do it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

======================

======================

Offline PJSewingal

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #301 on: July 10, 2018, 01:41:35 PM »
I apologize for my lack of technical knowledge, but I am just not seeing how you did it.  Can you explain it to me?  Thanks!
Paula

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #302 on: July 10, 2018, 05:34:21 PM »
I apologize for my lack of technical knowledge, but I am just not seeing how you did it.  Can you explain it to me?  Thanks!

When you use the buttons here on the edit window, you put the URL behind the "equals" sign.  Then, you can put whatever text you like between the brackets:

[url]any text you like[/url]
So, your example would look like:

[url=https://spoolsandyards.wordpress.com/2018/07/09/vogue-1033-stylearc-mashup/]Your text here[/url]
Then, your text will have the link embedded in it, so clicking the words will open the page.

======================

======================

Offline PJSewingal

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #303 on: July 10, 2018, 07:25:01 PM »
Thanks!  I think I finally got it!
Paula

Offline luz clara

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #304 on: August 07, 2018, 03:21:26 AM »
testing a photo.

Offline luz clara

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #305 on: August 07, 2018, 03:22:03 AM »
Whoops - way too big.
I'll see if I can figure out how to make it the right size. Otherwise that Amazon bubble building looks really scary!

Luz Clara
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 03:25:14 AM by luz clara »

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #306 on: August 07, 2018, 03:26:46 AM »
Is that dome your greenhouse?

Resampling the image by about 50% should be about right, I think.

======================

======================

Offline luz clara

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #307 on: August 07, 2018, 03:27:59 AM »
one more try - then it's bedtime!
luz clara

Offline luz clara

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #308 on: August 07, 2018, 03:28:17 AM »
ahhhh much better.

Luz Clara

Offline luz clara

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #309 on: August 07, 2018, 03:29:20 AM »
Not my green house. It's a building Amazon put up in Seattle. It's its own environment inside, I think. I wish I had a green house like that!!

Luz Clara

Offline luz clara

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #310 on: August 07, 2018, 03:31:10 AM »
https://archpaper.com/2018/01/amazon-seattle-biospheres-opening/

some actual information about the Bubbles.

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #311 on: August 07, 2018, 03:38:15 AM »

======================

======================

Offline Remnant

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #312 on: September 05, 2018, 11:43:58 AM »
Test

Offline kowgiirl.up

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #313 on: October 05, 2018, 05:13:26 PM »