Author Topic: Help with Ruffler Attachment  (Read 3385 times)

Zalin

Help with Ruffler Attachment
« on: December 12, 2010, 08:24:42 PM »
I have a question about a Ruffler Foot. It seems to be working ok and I think I have figured out where all the fabric is supposed to go. BUT... the thread keeps breaking. It seems to be cutting my needle thread. I can tell that the gathers/pleats are forming, but they are not staying because the thread is broken.

My question is, where is the needle thread supposed to sit when using the ruffler? Is it supposed to go under the foot, over the foot, through some magic spot that I haven't discovered yet?

I've watched various YouTube videos, but haven't found one that covers thread breaking. And I haven't found one that shows where the needle thread is supposed to be threaded.

Thanks for any help.  :)

Zalin

Re: Help with Ruffler Attachment
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 08:55:25 PM »
OK, cancel that. I figured out how to keep my thread from breaking. Now I just have to play with this interesting little gadget some more.  :)

Offline naween

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 03:27:26 AM »
OK, cancel that. I figured out how to keep my thread from breaking. Now I just have to play with this interesting little gadget some more.  :)

Help, I'm having that same problem! What was the solution??? I'm trying to sew ruffles for my wedding dress, and the darn thread keeps breaking! :(

Offline Pina

• Between threads and fabrics my day is colorful !
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 08:10:00 AM »
I like to share the free ruffler guide "The Ruffler Unruffled".After you create an account you can download the pdf instructions with step-by-step pictures.Near the bottom of the document is a ruffler optimization worksheet,ruffler optimization gauge and ruffling pleating ruler you can print out.As for the threads breaking,please try adjusting the tension a bit on a scrap piece of fabric.There are also several good videos on Youtube at the side bar.

Online ejvc

• Machine-Knitting Cryptographer and Plan-Bot
  • Me about age 2
    • The Fabulous Dr E's Fabulous Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 08:35:50 AM »
Usually when I have problems with my ruffler I've gotten so involved in getting the fabric right that I've forgotten to lower the presser foot.  That makes the thread break.
My blog is at http://ejvc.wordpress.com

Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden!

Zalin

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 07:16:16 PM »
I can't remember how I fixed the issue. I haven't used the ruffler in awhile. I'll have to pull it out and give it a try. I know it didn't have anything to do with whether the presser foot was lowered, it did have to do with where the upper thread was placed in regard to the ruffler itself.

I don't know anything about the aforementioned videos or pdf, so maybe they will be of some help. :)

Offline Violet in Miami

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 02:55:42 PM »
Thanks, Pina, for the link to the ruffler guide. I have a Bernina sewing machine and normally buy bernina feet. However, at the time my dealer didn't have a ruffler in stock and I was seduced by one on ebay. I've been reluctant to use it because it wasn't a Bernina foot. But with this guide, I will plunge right in!! Thanks again.
Violet in Miami
Violet

Offline meghabyte

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 08:08:17 PM »
I have had problems with my top thread breaking using the ruffler foot too. I ruffle a lot of fabric and it is so annoying when the thread breaks. All this time I thought it was my machine, upper tension, or even the ruffler foot, but after experimenting with several threads I found that my thread doesn't break if I use a 100% cotton 'silk finish' thread (Mettler brand). It glides through the needle and has never broken on me even when I use my ruffler foot at full speed.  I have always used Gutermann polyester thread, but now I know to never ruffle with it.

Zalin

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 08:12:34 PM »
That's interesting that you found your thread to be the issue. I was able to fix my breaking thread with the same thread so happily that wasn't my problem. I found that the thread had to be in the right place at the right time. I haven't used it for awhile, so where that place is is a mystery right now. At least I know I could figure it out if I had to. :) I forgot I had asked this question. It was quite awhile ago. :)

Offline Meg

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 12:31:38 PM »
Pina, Thanks again for the link.  I purchased a ruffler attachment for my 'chine, but when I got around to playing with it discovered that I had the incorrect model for my 'chine.  Hopefully I'll get the correct one soon, while I still have the inspiration! 

Offline ljh

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 09:33:03 PM »
For serious ruffling: :clickhere:  I've seen one of these in action, and if you do a lot of ruffling, they are probably worth the money.  For the rest of us, not so much  ;D
Linda

Offline Pina

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 05:40:03 PM »
For serious ruffling: :clickhere:  I've seen one of these in action, and if you do a lot of ruffling, they are probably worth the money.  For the rest of us, not so much  ;D

Linda,thanks for sharing the ruffling sewing machine link with us !  :)

In the link it says : I believe in keeping it local and reducing our carbon footprint as much as possible. The drawback is that it is a slow process. I have a list of around 50 people wanting a rufflling machine. I am trying to get 1 or 2 machines out per week and hope to speed up as I go along."
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 06:02:04 PM by Pina »

Offline Syndi

• What doesn't kill me-makes me stronger
    • Picasa
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 06:01:54 PM »
Glad you figured this out, Zalin.  What are you making?  I haven't seen you post your work lately and I know you know your stuff.  ;D  I don't know if it matters which machine you have........but I have a Husqvarna Ruffler foot and can't understand how to adjust the darn thing.  There are no markings...just turn "the screw and something else" (forgot), but ther wasn't a definate or specific mark to turn.  I haven't used it since my first try.....anyone have the Hus foot?

Offline Pina

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 06:45:05 PM »
....but I have a Husqvarna Ruffler foot and can't understand how to adjust the darn thing.  There are no markings...just turn "the screw and something else" (forgot), but ther wasn't a definate or specific mark to turn.  I haven't used it since my first try.....anyone have the Hus foot?

Syndi,here is a demo video with the Husqvarna Viking Sapphire 835 ruffler,maybe you have the same ruffler and the demonstration helps you.The principles of the foot are about the same on more feet for most brands. Enjoy!

Offline Syndi

• Picasa
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 07:38:01 PM »
Pina....thanks......again.... You are always there with an answer... :heart:  I'll check that out when I get home.

Offline Ambimom

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 08:11:09 PM »
One thing I've learned is to remember to move the lever to zero (0) (on the Janome it happens to be a star) before you attach or detach the foot from your machine.

Also, make sure the needle position is correct.  There's a screw to adjust it so that is dead center of the stitching hole.  If it's off by a fraction, it will break your thread.

Zalin

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 08:43:18 PM »
The ruffler I have is for a low-shank machine. I use it on my old Kenmore. I also have a newer Janome, but it is a high-shank machine. I was pretty disappointed when I discovered that, but whatever.

Ambimom, must you use the Janome Ultimate Ruffler on the Janome? Or is there another more generic ruffler you can use? That Ultimate Ruffler is expensive.

Syndi, I don't generally post pictures of my stuff. I really don't care to. I can tell you that I am currently learning to knit (taking Craftsy classes), and I am in the process of making a shirt for my son and I have several other miscellaneous projects going on.

Offline Ambimom

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 08:57:31 PM »
 ;D Yes, I have the Janome ultimate....

I also have a couple of generic rufflers that I've used through the years....

Frankly, they all work the same way; and none of them is fantastic.  They're fussy....  but they beat gathering because the ruffles are evenly distributed.  In projects like a dust ruffle where you've got yards and yards, a ruffler attachment is essential.

I just go very slow and curse a lot.

Offline Syndi

• Picasa
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2013, 10:17:09 PM »

Syndi, I don't generally post pictures of my stuff. I really don't care to. I can tell you that I am currently learning to knit (taking Craftsy classes), and I am in the process of making a shirt for my son and I have several other miscellaneous projects going on.
Zalin- totally get that....my friend is a knitter and makes beautiful things.  She taught me how, but I couldn't get passed the errs, and would always be ripping out...needless to say, I never got anything done.  :P  My friend said....just knit and don't worry about the holes, missed stitches and you'll get better- I just hate sloppy looking stuff....like my sewing wadders.  >:D

I just go very slow and curse a lot.
Funny!
I just got the Brother serger and it does ruffling  ;D  Maybe that'll work better.....no cursing
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 10:18:56 PM by Syndi »

Offline Pina

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2013, 11:12:50 PM »
Ha,Syndi,you can use your new serger to make ruffles !  :laugh: 

I didn't see your post,before I looked for a video.  ;)
All you need to do  is to adjust the differential feed and the tensions.Here is a video,(not your Brother model serger and not the best quality or sound video,but it will give you an idea on how to make ruffles on a serger).The principal on how to use a serger to make ruffles is the same.All one has to do is sew slower on the serger than normal !  ;) 

(I wish getting something in my computer back to do what it is supposed to do,(without starting all over from scratch),my guru is on holidays,I spent several allnighters since before the new year at the Microsoft site reading and doing what I read.  ::) ),would be as easy as ruffles on a serger,or sewing machine. ;D )
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 11:17:40 PM by Pina »

Offline Syndi

• Picasa
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2013, 11:22:48 PM »
Pina- Thanks for the link.....I've been bookmarking all this info into one folder.....lots to learn, but I am excited to have this machine.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics