Author Topic: Apps for sewing  (Read 20559 times)

Offline mosew

• mosewz blog
Apps for sewing
« on: November 24, 2010, 10:01:36 PM »
I just bought myself an Ipod Touch as the carrot that was dangling at the end of exercise goal ;D So what apps do everyone use to organize fabric, patterns, projects?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 10:41:40 AM by fzxdoc »
Maureen
mosewz

Offline ejvc

• Machine-Knitting Cryptographer and Plan-Bot
  • Me about age 2
    • The Fabulous Dr E's Fabulous Blog
Re: Ipod Touch/Iphone Apps for sewing
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 08:46:31 AM »
I'm afraid I'm quite old-fashioned and do most of that kind of organising on paper.  The one computer tool I use a lot is my blog!
My blog is at http://ejvc.wordpress.com

Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden!

Offline judith

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 04:45:04 PM »
Don't waste the money on the pantone app. Even Pantone admits that it's intended to be "fun" (?) and not intended to give an accurate replication of colours. I'm stumped about what "fun" purpose it could be put to.

Not an app - but I went around the house and measured all the odds and sods such as window sizes and room dimensions and saved it as a note. It's been really handy when we travel and I spot some fabric for curtains. Over time, I've added some family members' sizes to the list.

Not a sewing app - but "bread & milk" is a terrific grocery list app, and I don't know how I'd pass the time waiting for appointments without "angry birds" or "scrabble"

Modified: Oh dear, I take it back. I just updated my apps and Bread & Milk has gone from a nice simple user friendly grocery list to a monolith, and it's just too cumbersome now for me to recommend to anyone. As a matter of fact, I can't for the life of me even figure out how to add an item now.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 10:41:15 PM by judith »
Most people are as happy as they allow themselves to be. (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline Jane S

• Jane Sews and Sews
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 02:16:43 AM »
My DH gave me an Ipod Touch for my birthday in September.  I just love it.  I have an app 'SewingKit' whch works really well for me.  I can put my patterns on it with any information I may need including pictures, which is great when I go to the fabric store  and see a piece of fabric I like, I just check my Ipod to see how much I need.  I am in the process of adding my fabric statch to it. There is a place for measuremants, and  an area where I can add projects which I am working on or plan to work on.  Can't remember how much it was, but it  was worth it.  Check it out.

Offline misschris

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 06:58:31 AM »
I use Bento on my phone. It's a database with lots of templates or you can create your own. It also syncs with Bento on a Mac (it works perfectly well on the phone without the Mac backup). I have mine set up to include photos of the pattern, which box it's stored in, date of purchase, size, links to reviews on Pattern Review, notes (ideas for fabric, problems when sewing, etc) and what type of garment (pants, skirt, activewear, etc). Multiple garment patterns are listed as "wardrobe" and then I list separate items in the notes. You can set the search parameters to whatever you want - I can search for "skirt" and it will list all the skirt patterns plus the wardrobe patterns that contain a skirt. Search by pattern number, date purchased, etc.

I'm setting up a database for fabric soon. I'll be including a photo, width and length, fabric type etc. The initial set up and entry is time consuming when you have a stash, but it only takes a few minutes to add items as you purchase them. 

Bento is great for lots of other things too - cataloguing books or household items, planning projects like building renovations - I have a database set up for this too and can add photos of things (and their price tag) that I see in the shops that I like. I can add addresses and phone numbers, notes etc.
Melbourne, Australia

Online sewsy

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 09:07:49 AM »
Here's some:

Fabric Stash - This iPhone app lets you keep your entire
stash, no matter how big, in the palm of your hand. It’s easy,
just snap a photo of your fabric, enter as many details as you’d
like, and you’re ready to go!
www.blueshiftsoftware.net/iphone-apps/fabric-stash/

Pattern Pal - This iPhone app helps you keep track of your patterns;
include photos, and associates fabric and notions with a
pattern.
www.blueshiftsoftware.net/iphone-apps/pattern-pal-iphoneapp/

Yardage Calc - Use yardage calc to estimate the yardage
needed when the width of the selected fabric is not listed on the
pattern envelope.
www.gulenoconsulting.com/apps/yardagecalc/

Easy Quilt - Quilting tools, tips, tricks, and resources at your
fingertips without need for an internet connection.
www.technicalmadeeasy.com/easyquilt.html

Quilt Envy - Awesome quilt inspirations. This app features quilt
photos, patterns, and designs.
http://we-envision.com/Page.asp?NavID=164

Offline mosew

• mosewz blog
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 01:16:41 PM »
thanks for the info!

Sewsy - you use each of these apps? What are the pros and cons? i.e. do you have to add the photos yourself for the pattern app, I have wifi on it when I'm at home, but I wouldn't want to depend on a link to a website to hold the photo. Also, for the fabric one, is it easily searchable by multiple fields?

misschris - Bento sounds interesting. I'm used to working in databases, I like the idea of setting up my own fields. I was reading the reviews and I saw there were issues with searching on multiple fields. I don't have a Mac, so I'm concerned about using the info on my PC. Do you access/input the info only on your iphone or can you also access/input it on the Mac? I could see myself using Excel to input all my data, creating a .txt file then wanting to upload it. Have you done such a thing? In the reverse situation, can I export it to a .txt so I could print it if I ever wanted to (for some unknown reason :) ).

Jane S - SewingKit intrigued me but the reviews said it crashes a lot. Have you had that problem? Also, if you add a photo from a website, can you access the photo if you aren't on the internet (e.g. in the store)?

Thanks so much for all the info!
Maureen
mosewz

Online sewsy

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 05:39:01 PM »
thanks for the info!

Sewsy - you use each of these apps? What are the pros and cons? i.e. do you have to add the photos yourself for the pattern app, I have wifi on it when I'm at home, but I wouldn't want to depend on a link to a website to hold the photo. Also, for the fabric one, is it easily searchable by multiple fields?

Nope. I don't have an iPhone. I bought an Ipod Touch for myself last year for Christmas, but gave it to the youngest DD for her birthday the following July. It just so happened that I was reading about these apps ten minutes before I logged on here and read this thread. So I can't give you any info except to say that I did read users reviews at the bottom of one of the sites referenced. hth.

Online vtmartha

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 07:28:06 PM »
Thanks for all the ideas!  I have Bento which I have only used to catalog the boxes of books I have stored away in the barn.  Using it for my patterns is a great idea, although entering them all might take me forever.  I have scans of each in iPhoto.  Wouldn't it be great if the program had a drop down menu of patterns and, when you selected the one you wanted, it entered all the info from the pattern company website?!     :o

Offline Patti B

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 07:52:29 PM »
Wouldn't it be great if the program had a drop down menu of patterns and, when you selected the one you wanted, it entered all the info from the pattern company website?!     :o
And if it would make me a sandwich too, it would be perfect!  ;D

Offline cmarie12

• Diary of A Sewing Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 11:14:25 PM »
I use the Yardage Calc on my iTouch and its great for converting yardage when I'm at the fabric store.  I have an older generation iTouch that doesn't have a camera so I can't use the first two that Sewsy recommended...but the new iTouch's do have cameras on them so I'm sure you could download the apps for them.
Carolyn
"I've always maintained that freedom of speech does not mean freedom from responsibility. Choose your words carefully ~ Susan”
My blog:  http://sewingfantaticdiary.blogspot.com/
My Flickr Albums

Offline Jane S

• Jane Sews and Sews
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 01:13:30 AM »
Jane S - SewingKit intrigued me but the reviews said it crashes a lot. Have you had that problem? Also, if you add a photo from a website, can you access the photo if you aren't on the internet (e.g. in the store)?

No, I have not had any problems at all with SewingKit.  Yes, you can access the photo while in the store.  You can access all your information whenever you need it. I sew for other people and when I take their measurements I enter it right there and then.  There is a free trial app that you can try.

etc: quote tags  :)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 03:26:49 AM by Lisa »

Offline JS

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 01:16:54 AM »
I have Sewing Kit on my ITouch and it hasn't crashed yet.

Also, you don't need a camera, just save photos to your computer and sync to the Itouch.

Offline misschris

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2010, 07:47:41 AM »

misschris - Bento sounds interesting. I'm used to working in databases, I like the idea of setting up my own fields. I was reading the reviews and I saw there were issues with searching on multiple fields. I don't have a Mac, so I'm concerned about using the info on my PC. Do you access/input the info only on your iphone or can you also access/input it on the Mac? I could see myself using Excel to input all my data, creating a .txt file then wanting to upload it. Have you done such a thing? In the reverse situation, can I export it to a .txt so I could print it if I ever wanted to (for some unknown reason :) ).

You can access/input on both the Mac and the phone/touch. On the mac, you can switch to a traditional spreadsheet view, which I find easier for entering data. There is also an image grid and individual cards. I'm not sure about transferring files between Windows and Bento, I don't think it's possible (please correct me, someone, if I'm wrong). Bento's creators, FileMaker, also make a Windows database that has an Apple app called FileMaker Go
Melbourne, Australia

Offline rebells

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2010, 11:57:40 AM »
Has anyone tried Evernote? http://www.evernote.com/  It is supposed to be able to read text from pictures and even hand written notes.  This would be nice to file patterns by just snapping pictures of them and letting the program file and find them.  I haven't tried it yet but it sounds interesting.

Online vtmartha

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2010, 04:50:58 PM »
I am trying Evernote now.  It may be just as time consuming to import my already collected data as with Bento but it seems interesting.  I would like to import a collection of photos from iphoto and have each of them end up as a separate note but I'm not sure that's feasible.  I downloaded the free version - in order to recognize iPhotos, it would need to be upgraded to a paid subscription.

Offline cmarie12

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2010, 11:29:01 PM »
Also, you don't need a camera, just save photos to your computer and sync to the Itouch.

JS -- I didn't know this!  How do you sync to your Itouch from your computer!?

Carolyn
Carolyn
"I've always maintained that freedom of speech does not mean freedom from responsibility. Choose your words carefully ~ Susan”
My Flickr Albums

Offline JS

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2010, 01:31:15 AM »
Carolyn, when you plug the Itouch into your computer Itunes will come up and show your device, open it and you can see your apps, music, etc. There will be a button that says Sync, just click it. You have the option of identifying which folders of photos you want to sync but if I remember that right you have to do that first.

You also have the option of sending the photos to yourself in an email. Just access your mail from the touch, open the photo and click save.

BTW, I admire your sewing and love your blog, read it all the time.

Offline misschris

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2010, 05:16:56 AM »
Has anyone tried Evernote? http://www.evernote.com/  It is supposed to be able to read text from pictures and even hand written notes.  This would be nice to file patterns by just snapping pictures of them and letting the program file and find them.  I haven't tried it yet but it sounds interesting.

I use Evernote, but not as a pattern/fabric collection database, although it could be used that way. It's great for all those bits and pieces you come across online that you'd like to remember - I note patterns that I'm interested in, websites I want to reviist, recipes, inspirational RTW garments, etc. It stores voice and video notes, photos, webpages, and text and you can share notes with others. 
Melbourne, Australia

Offline cmarie12

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2010, 11:48:19 PM »
JS - thanks for the info.  I sync my iTouch all the time but didn't realize that I could upload photos from my hard drive that way.  I did read that right...from my computer hard drive?  Will play around with this and see if I can do it!  Thanks again!  And thanks for the lovely comments about my blog!
Carolyn
My Flickr Albums

Offline Lirianna

• My fiber-related blog.
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2010, 07:58:09 PM »
cmarie - Just watch out that the pictures you are transferring from your computer to your iTouch are not too high in resolution.  My husband decided to sync all of my photos to my iPhone and a lot of mine turned out fuzzy.  Probably a good thing... there are TONS of huge picture files on my computer!  It's a good thing that it transferred smaller versions!  : )

Offline judith

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2010, 11:52:31 PM »

JS -- I didn't know this!  How do you sync to your Itouch from your computer!?

Carolyn

When you first plug in your itouch, it will sync. Let it. Then rclick where you see your itouch on the computer screen (doing this from memory) to open it. Now you can see some tabs, go to the photo tab and select what you want to sync. I keep a separate folder on my computer for photos I want to put on my itouch.

eta: don't forget to do another sync so the photos will transfer to the itouch.

Offline cmarie12

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2010, 03:23:30 AM »
Judith - thanks so much for these detailed instructions.  I just realized that I have a folder in my picture section called iPod photos and wondered what they were!  I will definitely try this and let you know how it works!  Thanks again!
Carolyn
My Flickr Albums

Offline judith

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2010, 03:52:13 AM »
cmarie - I received my itouch as a Christmas present last year, and just figured out that I could put photos on it last week. It was a "well, duh" moment for me  :)

Offline cmarie12

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2010, 04:11:26 PM »
I've got a ton of photos on mine but I usually just send them to myself in an email and then click save image from the email.  It's automatically stored in the iTouch's picture section.  But I will definitely remember that I can send them directly from my computer to my Touch!  Thanks again!
Carolyn
My Flickr Albums

Offline proxious

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2011, 03:59:52 AM »
thanks for the for the heads up

Offline mosew

• mosewz blog
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2011, 11:16:05 PM »
I was a little slow, but finally had time to read and review some apps. I finally chose StoreIt. It was only $2. I am able to import in .txt and .csv files I had pulled from my old Palm. Worked great with only a couple small hiccups. I have created a couple databases now. One for addresses. One for passwords. And am working on my patterns. I had these in my Palm also, so I'm currently re-arranging them in an Excel file for upload.

But here's the cool thing. You can attach images! I've played with taking them with my Ipod touch but I didn't have good light. But they attached easily enough. This weekend I hope to play with pulling the images off websites for a few favorites. Or take them with my camera and reduce the resolution a bit. But I'll likely only worry about images for my new patterns. I was able to attach both a pattern envelope front and back pic. Cool to have all that info. And I'll have all the fabric needs, notions, easy to search. Score!
Maureen
mosewz

Online vtmartha

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2011, 01:08:45 AM »
I've been using Evernote for quite awhile now and really like it.  I have installed my entire pattern catalog.  A great feature is that it syncs between my computer and my iPad.  I had most of my patterns scanned into iphoto and I've added those to Evernote.  Newer ones I've just clipped from the pattern website.

Offline mosew

• mosewz blog
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2011, 02:53:23 PM »
Thanks Vtmartha. I just downloaded it. I spent a couple hours last night dorking with my pattern spreadsheet trying to clean it up and then spent 20 minutes trying to get it to load. I tried all sorts of things (I do data for a living, I'm not without a bit of knowledge  ::)), never got it to load. So I'm going to try Evernote for my patterns. I still like the StoreIt for what i have on it. It has a nice search feature. I can really see myself getting hooked on this little toy. I used to LOVE my Palm ... until it stopped syncing ...
Maureen
mosewz

Offline mosew

• mosewz blog
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2011, 04:00:20 AM »
Vtmartha - can you describe a little how you're using Evernote for the patterns? I've take a couple pics but haven't figured out how it's best used. TIA!
Maureen
mosewz

Online vtmartha

« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2011, 11:53:35 AM »
Maureen, my interaction with Evernote is a 'work in progress'.  I like trying to figure out how to make things work for me, which might not be the best for you.  I had a large collection of pattern scans in my iphoto collection.   While I think I should have been able to drag those into Evernote directly, I was not able to do that so I exported the photo files to a new directory and then inserted each photo into a new note.  Actually, I had two iphotos, one for the pattern front and one for the back, so both photos went into the same note.  More recently, I have taken images directly from the pattern company website into a new note in Evernote.  While you can select from a webpage and add that to Evernote, I found it easier to use a screen capture program, such as "Little Snapper" for my Mac, to capture the info I wanted and then drag that into a new Evernote note.  I labelled each note with the pattern company and number, then tagged each note with items which might mean something to me - 'pants', 'easy', dress', 'designer name', etc.  After you tag a pattern, that tag will be available for subsequent patterns.  So, if I want to search for all of my 'Today's Fit' patterns, I enter that into the  search.  After working with it for awhile, I might find I need to do things differently.

This may not be at all what you were wanting to know and I may be able to help more if you are more specific.  I use a Mac so my comments are from that perspective.  While I have not done this, it looks like you can just hold your pattern up to your computer's camera and go from there.  Also, I have the 'upgraded' version and I'm not sure how that differs from the free version, other than the amount of data you can upload per month.

I use Evernote to keep track of online purchases, shipment tracking numbers, online manuals, ideas which appeal - you name it.  Feel free to pm if you think that is better.

Zalin

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2011, 02:40:35 PM »
Do you need to have a wifi connection to view the info you have stored in Evernote? I understood that all the data was stored "in the cloud" and space was limited in the free version. I would really like to be wrong, by the way. :)

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2011, 03:01:16 PM »
This is not for sewing, but for knitting. I find the KnittingHelp Video Reference app is really good. You can click on a knitting technique, say, casting on, and up will pop a selection of videos that show almost every cast on method imaginable. The videos are very well done with slow and repeated motions to show the technique and a narrator who speaks in such a calm voice.  For stitch videos, like, say, decreasing, the videos will show both the English and the Continental methods of accomplishing a particular method. It's great--and it is available for the iPad and the iPhone/Touch

There are lots of other knitting apps in the store, but I haven't looked at any others.

Kathryn

Offline margyh

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2011, 04:19:32 PM »
Another possibility for Mac users is the database program Bento. I have both my pattern stash and my fabric stash on templates I've developed; the pictures can be dragged directly from iPhoto  or from my screenshot app.they are stored on my Mac, not the cloud, so they are available whether or not I am online. I also have the program on my iPad and iPhone, so I sync them all often. I, too, use screenshots of the fabrics and patterns from  the vendors instead of photographing them myself; that saves a lot of time. I use Evernote, also, for almost everything else.

Online vtmartha

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2011, 06:17:16 PM »
Zalin, it is definitely cloud based.  I don't have any indication that the Evernote data is in residence on my hard drive.  I am 'always' connected to the internet but, sometime when I am alone here, I will shut down my connection and see what happens.  Also, it isn't the storage space which is limited but the amount of data you can upload per month.  If you upload your maximum for the month and then delete it, you cannot upload more.  If you upload the max for one month, you can upload more the next and the next and so on until you have everything on.  I have mixed feelings about cloud based storage.  I paid for a year of online backup and never got a successful backup.  On the other hand, a friend's home was broken into recently and her computer stolen.  It would be nice to know that at least some of her data could be retrieved.  All of my backup hard drives would be useless if stolen.  I keep my files on my computer - I just use Evernote to give me easy access.  The base program is free and you can try it without any repercussions.

Margy, I have Bento as well, but I've never become proficient in using it.  I used it to catalog all the 'stuff' I put in the barn on behalf of my kids.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics