Author Topic: CCL's Whatever Was I Thinking? SWAP (Comments in the main thread, please)  (Read 8569 times)

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
Mutterings to self posted here, just to drain the brain and let me focus on other things.

My initial hopes were to sew down stash.  I am one for whom too many options shuts down mental ability.  So.   I also wanted to use my yet-to-be-sewn red coat as a center piece of the SWAP.  But then I wanted to use the just sewn brick/burgundy jacket, and I wanted to use a lovely knit blue turquoise stretchy boucle, and a wool green challis gauze... oh and those faux suede purchases as well as the beautiful magenta ponte from Sawyer Brook. You see the problem?

Now, thinking about aforementioned Sawyer Brook, I did some fabric oogling this morning and one fabric in particular jump-started a solid plan - yes, it will entail purchasing more fabric, but I think it will let me use up some existing pieces as well. It will, unfortunately, make me give up the idea of using the "to be sewn" red coat as my garment meeting the between the rules posted and beginning of the SWAP guideline.  When I decided that the red coat won't be in the SWAP, my brain freed up. (I plan on sewing it up anyway in the same time period.  I really want to make that coat and be able to wear it this winter.)

Neutral One - Brick/Burgundy - 3 garments
  • Previously sewn Bootstrap jacket (I am claiming it - thanks Garden Girl, Kathryn, Warpjr1965!)
  • Sawyer Brook Bari for pants (will need to get a sample to see if it will go...I think this reads as a neutral solid) using my TNT front pocket wide legged trousers
  • Skirt in the same Bari using my TNT Ann Klein high waisted skirt (same as in the photo of the Bootstrap jacket)- possible culottes instead of skirt
Neutral Two - Black - 3 garments
  • purchased black jacket - I have two of these from the old work travel days
  • knit pants - sleepable - have this fabric, but will have to mash up a pattern
  • short black skirt - will need to find fabric... thinking a short skirt will go well with the bootstrap jacket-  or black top in same fabric as knit pants
Accent - 2 garments
  • Forest blue green challis gauze dress - 2 5/8 yards of fabric on hand, will need to find a pattern and muslin this.  Everything but the sleeves will need to be lined.
  • Same fabric top - pattern to be determined depending on how much is left over from dress
Print - 1 garment - or two if I can't find a good match on the green
  • Silk multi-color (includes brick and green) top - fabric on hand, gift from BH
  • alternate jersey print from Sawyer Brook - I am beginning to see a trend here - if I can't find a good match on the green

WildCards - 2 garments, or one if I can't find a good match on the green
  • One - Neutral One - Brick skirt - if Sawyer Brook Auburn fabric matches - pattern to be determined - 
  • Two - Accent color - Green skirt if this fabric matches - will need to be lined.  If this fabric doesn't match, will use the second print I pulled out of stash

Of course, tomorrow, I will probably come up with an entirely new plan, with one of the neutrals being red.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 07:50:36 PM by CCL »

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
Re: CCL's Whatever Was I Thinking? SWAP (Comments in the main thread, please)
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 05:48:32 PM »
Sawyer Brook is sending swatches of the three fabrics on the left so I can see if they will work with the fabrics I have pulled out.  So far the fabrics I have pulled out of stash are the green wool challis from Mood; the jersey print from Sawyer Brook; the black rayon jersey from Fabric.com; and the silk print from Vogue Fabrics.   The jacket wool fabric is an old piece that I can no longer remember where I bought it.

fabrics-for-2018-SWAP by CCL photos, on Flickr

That green on the left is looking more green than the challis so I am not too hopeful, but the one in my pile is actually more foresty green than teal, so maybe.  We'll see when the swatches arrive.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 02:02:49 AM by CCL »

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 03:09:38 PM »
Swatches from Sawyer Brook arrived; colors won't work, but oh my what lovely fabrics.  Sigh.

So far though, the planning is helping me get ideas for "busting down the stash" - so even if I don't end up doing a SWAP, at least I will get some clothes out of those pieces that have been languishing unloved in the fabric pile.

Still, I am not quite ready to give up, so to keep me inspired... going to post the jacket again here (posting it for the umpteenth time).  Maybe it will help with my motivation.

bootstrap 4167 -jacket with ancient Ann Klein skirt V2433

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 04:28:11 PM »
Still noodling around with ideas.   I want to stick to the fabrics that I have already identified and have on hand.  If I get those fabrics out of the stash and used in garments that I wear and enjoy, I will be more than happy.   

But but but, I also really like the swatch of the auburn wool crepe I just received from Sawyer Brook.  It's a new color for me and I have no idea if it works with my skin and hair tones...but I am in a "I don't care anyway" mental mode.  It's beautiful.  Still, I would have to purchase more fabric, so that's slowing me down a bit.  I need to look at Lyn-J's rubric to make sure I have the right number of neutrals (2), accents (2), and prints (1). 

Finished Better Half's fleece jacket, so now I am working on a muslin of the StyleArc Alexi top.  It's my first StyleArc pattern, so I read the StyleArc thread and realized I am not a fan of negative ease.  In that thread, because of negative ease, Marciae mentioned going up two sizes.  I am trying that.   If I can get this style to work, it will be used for two items (black knit top and print knit dress length).   Plus side is I am getting to use up an icky stretch poly knit for the muslin.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 08:42:40 PM by CCL »

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 05:51:06 PM »
More mutterings.   Trial t-neck is probably right on the shoulders, hips and bust, too big on the neck, sleeves, waist and torso.  Gonna adjust, probably by going down a size and grading out for shoulders and bust.

Revised plan.
Print One  Multi-color jersey - black, brick, rust and white. 2 garments (1 wildcard)
  • boatneck top -TNT lekala patterncompleted
  • t-neck dress - working on fitting the Style Arc Alexi completed, but a mash-up of the SA Alexi lengthened to a dress and an old Vogue pattern for a boatneck neckline
Neutral One - Black - 3 + 1 extra (purchased jacket) garments
  • black jersey t-neck - Alexi pattern- completed
  • knit pants - sleepable - have this fabric, but will have to mash up a pattern-completed
  • short black skirt - will need to find fabric. Completed -made slacks instead
  • purchased black jacket - I have two of these from the old work travel days - going with previously made black skirt -completed
Accent  One - Blue green wool challis 2 5/8 yards of fabric on hand,- 2 garments + (1 wildcard) - a maybe complete here on the sweatshirt fleece jacket
  • dress -  will need to find a pattern and muslin this.  Everything but the sleeves will need to be lined.
  • Same fabric top - pattern to be determined depending on how much is left over from dress
  • Wildcard - sweatshirt fleece jacket -completed maybe in or maybe out of SWAP
Accent Two Burgundy brick wool - 1 garment plus maybe 1 wildcard
  • Bootstrap 4167 jacket shown above- completed
  • skirt - probably a combo of faux suede and wool left over from jacket- completed

Neutral Two - still pondering purchase of Auburn wool crepe - -purchased 3 yards 3 garments
  • sheath dress - TNT pattern completed
  • top - probably top half of sheath dress pattern, zipper moved to side seam- completed -vest Vogue OOP 8820
  • pants - TNT wide legged trouserscompleted
-----------substitutions----------------------
If I decide not to purchase the auburn crepe, I will substitute burgundy for neutral two and a second print for the burgundy as accent 2 (so instead of two accents and one print, I will then have two prints and one accent).

Neutral Two - Burgundy - 3 garments
  • Bootstrap jacket - completed
  • skirt - probably a combo of faux suede and wool left over from jacket- completed
  • culottes (or blouse, maybe) - fabric to be purchased
Print Two - 1 garment
  • Silk multi-color (includes brick and green) top - fabric on hand, gift from BH
Patterns
  • Will use TNT sheath dress, pants, and skirt patterns (or as an alternate, culottes)
  • Need to fiddle with tee-neck pattern, adapted sheath pattern for top, and skirt pattern for wool/suede combo
  • I need to find patterns for the green wool challis - dress and top and possibly second print blouse and black sleep pants, though I think I will just copy a pair of RTW
I think which way I go depends on how committed to stash busting I am.  If I am committed to stash busting, I need to purchase only black skirt fabric and burgundy fabric for blouse - probably about 2-3 yards.  If not, I will be purchasing black skirt fabric and the fabric for Neutral 2 - the wool crepe - closer to 6 yards.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 05:05:52 PM by CCL »

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 04:26:52 PM »
I am not feeling very successful.  I am on my third trial of the Style Arc Alexi top.  I thought I had the fit about right so this time tried extending the top to a tee shirt length dress to assess different lengths for making up the print jersey for my SWAP.  I picked up this grey weird stripe that is a similar weight jersey at Joann's just to play.

Also, it's just basted in the photos(I have since sewn it up)...and clearly not hemmed on either the sleeves or the bottom.  What is bothering me is the neck...too soft and I am wondering if it's just a fitting issue (need to go with a smaller neck) or an interfacing issue.  Will need to post a question on the Style Arc thread.  Right now, I just don't like it and will need to rethink the SWAP plan for the printed jersey.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 04:37:57 PM by CCL »

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 05:16:22 PM »
After several stabs at the drawing table on this very simple dress, I think I have my "made in December before the official start" garment finally almost done.  This is Print 1 - rayon jersey from Sawyer Brook, purchased several years ago.   

Many thanks to RiverGum on the dresses thread for suggesting I think about the necklines with dress lengths and contemplating the overall balance of the garment.  In these photos, the hems (sleeves and garment) are just basted in- garment is just over the top of the knees and I think I like it there - will work well in summer.  Right now I am wearing the dress over Smartwool tights and knee high socks.  (Obviously, I wouldn't be wearing these out in public, but it's a tad cold today!)

The dress goes with the Bootstrap jacket- photo above.  After many attempts at pattern matching, I went for an overall gestalt - where hopefully the effect is pleasing, but abstract and not matchy-matchy.

I am hoping there is enough fabric left over for a top.  We shall see.

ETA:  Notes on construction... I used the lingerie stitch over the 1/4 clear elastic on the shoulders.  Used a slight width zigzag on the seams (with tracing paper underneath near the feeddogs for stablizing; hand stitched the neck edges (rolled edge).  After these photos were taken, I did the actual hand work on the hemming.  I used a catch stitch on the hems - with a 100 silk thread.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 12:46:28 PM by CCL »

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
Some small progress.   I have the burgundy bootstrap jacket and the print dress as noted above.  I just finished what I call my casual capsule, with pants, tee-neck, and jacket.

Neutral One - Black - 3 + 1 extra (purchased jacket) garments
  • black jersey t-neck - Alexi pattern-Completed
  • knit pants - sleepable - have this fabric, but will have to mash up a patternCompleted, used B6262 - like this pattern for a casual sleep pant that is also suitable for daywear - pockets!
  • short black skirt - will need to find fabric. Bought some super wool 120 FabricMart 70% on wool sale Made slacks instead, see below - still have enough fabric for a skirt - but I won't be doing  this item from the SWAP plan- completed
  • purchased black jacket - I have two of these from the old work travel days Bought

Other notes:
I bought the organic cotton sweatshirt fleece for the teal jacket hoping it would come close in color to the wool challis.  Not sure it's close enough.

Squirrel er, um, Sale!  -- Ended up getting the auburn wool crepe (3 yards) last cut from SA Sawyer Brook on sale.  I am not even sure if it will get used for this SWAP, but it was the last cut and I had already fallen in love with it and it was the last hour of the sale.  Lawd, I am so gullible.

Edited to add further musings
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 11:52:54 AM by CCL »

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 12:36:53 PM »
I have been sidetracked a little by this year's winter flu or whatever and sewing for others - dress for niece and costume French cheesemaker shirt for a friend.  But last night I managed to cut out a trial of a new top pattern that I hope to use for two pieces of the swap.

One of prints is a piece of silk chiffon Better Half bought me years ago.  I wanted to do something with a little more shaping than the standard two rectangles and side slits I have used in the past for delicate fabrics.  I am going to have to piece the facings on the trial sew up...but pretty happy to have used up another piece in the stash.

I am appreciating how Mudcat's great rules this year are really helping me work on fabric I normally don't think to use.

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 03:53:56 PM »
Haven't been doing any sewing on the SWAP -- been mulling over my fabrics -  I think this top is now out...

lekala 4398 finished sweatshirt jacket

It's something of an outlier -- I had hoped the color came close enough to the wool challis - but that's a darker teal.  My goal here is really to use up fabric on hand and not buy anymore.  So unless this is an accent not sure how it is going to fit in.

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2018, 10:18:47 PM »
Finished up the Folkwear French Cheesemaker shirt for my friend.  Posted a photo in the Shirt making thread.  So now I am back to thinking about SWAP. 

I did all the machine sewing on a top pattern- Butterick 6221 that I am auditioning for the silk print chiffon, auburn wool crepe or dark teal wool challis fabrics.  I used up some more stash (Yay!) on the trial but was also secretly hoped it would be wearable.    Jury is still out.  It's pretty thin and static clingy, but I like simple lines.  I need to do all the hand-sewing, sleeve and bodice hems.  then I need to figure out a way to keep the facing from showing through on the thinner fabrics - will probably only be a problem on the silk.

As an alternative, I am also considering Simplicity 2594 - I think this was my original choice - I have made it several times for my niece, just need to trace it in my size, raise the front neckline drape a bit, and sew up another trial.

All in all, I am just happy to be back doing some me sewing.

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
I just have the hand hemming of the sleeves to go to finish up the print top (same print as the dress).  Even though it's my standby boatneck tee pattern, I really am liking it and it's energizing me to skip working on the muslins and instead start sewing some of the coordinating pieces in the crepe and super 120 wools.

However, I checked how to prep wool crepe in Betzina's Fabric Savvy and now I am a little slowed down by her recommendation to prep by having dry cleaned...a garment created in wool crepe without pre-shrinking the crepe can shrink an entire size, she says.  I was going to just steam it. Now I have the delay and expense to overcome before I can start working on that fabric. Drat!

The other possibility are the black super 120 trousers...but after following along with Sizun's pants fitting as well as Marciae's advice in the pants threads, I am dithering.   The pattern is another tried and true, but I would like to tweak it just a little and want to do another muslin before cutting into the good fabric.  But I am sick of doing muslins.   I have one going for the drape neck top which since I know I will never wear - fabric is another icky one - I just can't get enthused about.  So there's delay there, drats again.

I am still mulling which pattern to use for the wool challis top and have no clue what to use for the skirt.

I think all these delays, overthinking, stutter stops and starts, and assorted dithering pretty clearly illustrates why I have always started with the pattern and then went looking for fabric to make it up in.  This starting with the fabric and trying to figure out what to make of it is much harder for me. Pthufff.

But I know it's also good for me...how else am I going to learn?

Lining fabric arrived, however, and they are great compliments for the wool crepe and the wool challis.

Edited to add: Finished the hems on the top's sleeves.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 01:58:51 PM by CCL »

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
My fellow swappers are keeping me motivated.

I just finished a big work project which has left me pretty tired, but I am eager to work on a muslin for fitting.  I have been a bit inspired by demented faery's, lillie's and Ruthie's piecing.  I had originally thought about it but set aside the idea as I didn't have large enough fabric blocks for the piecing I had envisioned.  But seeing their work has given me an idea for coming at the problem a different way.

Also, my wool crepe is now steamed and pre-shrunk, and I am excited to work with it.

My work and life schedule is still pretty packed, but at least now I can do something a little more than a few minutes of hand sewing in the evenings.

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
Had a productive couple of days.  Did a quick "muslin" of a skirt pattern (bought for niece, retraced for my size) that I wanted to use for a DementedFaery-Lillie-Ruthie inspired pieced skirt.  It's a nothing skirt pattern - three pieces plus facings.  However, I needed something simple that I can use to cut up.  I have a small remnant left over from making the bootstrap 4167 military jacket, but don't have enough length to make a bottom, not even shorts.  Thus the idea of piecing a skirt.

Since the test muslin fits without major adjustments, I traced again for the pieces mixing in the faux suede with the wool to give me enough length for the skirt.

Butterick 5466 - redrawn for piecing

Got the wool parts cut out today.  I will cut out the suede pieces tomorrow.

Butterick 5466 pieces layout on wool remnant

If this works, I will have to switch around Neutral 2 and Accent 2.  But at this point not even sure I will like it, but it's been fun playing with my jigsaw puzzle.

Did managed to get the boatneck tee made out of print #1 -- so I have my print item and one wildcard done.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 04:10:40 PM by CCL »

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
Slow progress.   Finally finished piecing the suede to the wool...more photos later... this is just the first of the piecing.  I used tailor tacks for placement, as I didn't want to use chalk on the wool - just in case.  Better Half said he thought the tailor tacks were fringe and he really sort of liked it.  Men.

suedeband-front-top by CCL photos, on Flickr

Rethinking the pattern for my wool crepe dress.  I was going to do my old tried and true princess seam sheath dress, but am now thinking I want something a little less structured, still a sheath, but with fewer seams.  Unfortunately, that requires a muslin and fitting.  So I continue to progress slowly.

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
Finished the simple skirt that took way way way longer than it should have.  Here are hanger shots of front and back.

B5466 front hanger shot

B5466 skirt back - hanger shot

and here are shots of one side seam and the center back.

pieced suede-wool skirt B5466

pieced suede-wool skirt B5466

Last photo of the skirt on Emily with the jacket.  Not sure I would really wear them together, but it was fun to get something wearable out of the scrapes of wool and faux suede.  More photos on my flicker page.

B5466 skirt with bootstrap jacket by CCL photos, on Flickr
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 07:02:23 PM by CCL »

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
More photos of the skirt, this time paired with the Style Arc Alexi top.  Last photo is of the Lekala jacket with a cap of the scraps - just made up the pattern.

suede skirt other side

SA Alexi
- B5466 -front

SA Alexi
 - B5466 -back

B5466 - Lekala 4398 and
  hat
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 07:07:58 PM by CCL »

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
Why it takes me so long.

hug snug seam binding on trousers

Still finishing the seam allowances on my super 120 wool trousers.  I am just plugging away at my own speed - which is slower than slow.

I am hoping to finish these pants this weekend - been working on them in little 1/2 hour chunks each day.  Decided I wanted to use the auburn crepe for trousers as well, so will be using the same pattern.  I might get both pair done by end of April, but still then need to make dress, top and second accent.  Will probably be finished in July.

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
First pair of trousers done - if I am able to get the second pair done by the end of April, I will be happy. I don't plan to wear these with heels, but thought I would check it out.  Hemmed to work with low heels or flats. Worn with the muslin of the top pattern I am considering for the green challis - I am thinking this is a no-go or at a bare minimum, down a size.

trousers-side view

trousers-front

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
Did a little work on the wool crepe trousers yesterday, though my sewing time has been limited all week (had to get the peas in, after all!).  When it is all said and done, I want to think about why this year's SWAP exercise has been such a good for me.

One thing I know and as Treefrog mentioned in the SWAP chatter thread, I am finding that I really appreciate Mudcat's rules.  The emphasis on texture got me thinking about the different textures  of my fabrics (wool flannel, challis-gauze, crepe, super 120; suede, and rayon jersey) and doing so has stretched my abilities and imagination. 

I did manage to get the trousers mostly cut out, with my last set of tweaks marked on the fabric itself.  The front and back darts are in as is the zipper.  I actually applied the seam binding before putting in the zip, a construction sequence that worried me, since I didn't feel confident that it wouldn't somehow change the tension on the seam.  However, it seems (hahaha) to be okay.  I stumbled on pocket lining fabric which stopped my progress.   I think I have that resolved and will carry on today with the front pockets.  I fI can get them finished today I will be feeling productive.

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
I did finish the pockets on the wool crepe, but I am going in for medical procedures tomorrow and don't know when I will be able to sew again, so this may be as far as I get.  I wanted to post at least the photos of the major makes before I disappear for awhile. Not included in the photos are the print top and the crepe wool trousers I am currently working on. If I am able to finish up the trousers before the end of April, I will add another photo of that set.   Still have the two teal garments and other two Auburn crepe garments to go.

Trousers_Bootstrap-jacket

SWAP Dress Print 1 Front
Style Arc Alexi - modified

bootstrap 4167 -jacket
 (sleeves from v2655)
 with Ann Klein V2433

Style Arc Alexi
with B5466 suede pieced skirt

The first photo was taken after we'd been out and about Sunday to various events.  I am finding the jacket is worn a lot.   I have the two shots (open with the suede facing showing and closed for the more military look).  The skirt and the white bateau neck top are previous sews).   Not shown are the black pajama pants...included in the SWAP count (8 garments completed plus 1 purchased jacket) and the teal jacket - which I am not really counting.  So, if I finish the trousers, my count will be: 
  • Black neutral = 3  plus previous purchased black leather jacket - 4 total (done)
  • Auburn crepe neutral =1 (two still to make)
  • Black white rust print = 2 (done)
  • Burgundy Accent 1 = 2 (done - jacket and skirt)
  • Dark teal-emerald wool challis Accent 2 = 0 (2 to make- unless I include the teal completed jacket)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 10:44:39 PM by CCL »

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
The top and trousers below are probably the last of what I can get sewn before deadline.  I call these my Ms. Phryne Fisher trousers after the lead character in Ms. Fisher's Murder Mysteries.   My plans for the weekend sewing is to do a muslin of the sheath dress (changed my mind about the pattern) to be made up in this terra cotta rust wool crepe.  I loved sewing on it for the trousers, so am looking forward to getting it made, but it won't be done before the deadline. 

I have made 8 garments (not counting the teal sweatshirt jacket) - with the black leather purchased jacket - I have nine garments (and with the teal jacket- I'd have 10!), but I still need two more of the Neutral 2 - which would be the sheath dress and a top... plus I don't really want to use the teal sweathshirt as my second accent and would rather use the teal wool challis, which I still plan on trying to get a top / skirt / or AO Dai out of that fabric. 

Print top (out)
and Neutral 2
trousers

print top (tucked in)
 and Neutral 2
trousers-front

Print top
 and Neutral 2
trousers - back

The rust color in the first two photos is more accurate than the third photo.

Edited to make photos smaller.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 10:41:26 PM by CCL »

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
The SWAP deadline has come and gone and I am still working on my Neutral #2 garments.  :suspicious:

Stitched up the muslin and am now working on the trial make of the sheath dress...might end up a dud. Posted progress over in the dress a month thread.

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
I am not exactly sure where to keep posting progress on the "slow sewing," so for now, will just post this here.

Finished the trial makeup (except for hemming and attaching lining to kickpleat) of the dress pattern intended for the rust colored wool crepe...at this point I am still not sure about it.   May put this one on a back burner.

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
Quick snapshot of the practice dress - Crossposted from the Dress a month thread and more about the sad saga there.

Vogue 8146
 hanger-front

Vogue 8146
 hanger back

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
Made up a second trial muslin version of the Butterick 6221 top pattern I was considering using for the dark emerald teal wool challis.  This time in a cotton batiste and a size smaller.  Shown here with the trial muslin of the Butterick 5466 skirt pattern that I eventually used for the pieced wool and suede skirt. (I had about 4 yards of this irregular multi stripped shirting fabric - so far it's been used for a dress muslin and a skirt muslin -- and I think I have enough left over for a shirt).

Seems as if I have an almost complete "Muslin" SWAP  while I still work away at the "real" SWAP (albeit a v-e-r-y slow sewing SWAP).   I still don't think this top pattern will work, but at least I ended up with a summer quick throw on outfit that will be cool on those really hot days.

muslin-trials-side by CCL photos, on Flickr
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 12:35:07 AM by CCL »

Offline bessiecrocker

• Subscribed Member
  • Winner's Points: 1
MODS/SWAP coordinator: Could we move the non-completers (me included) who are still slow sewing swap to another thread, or start a comment thread so we can comment on things still in progress? No one is now regularly kooking at the Swap comment thread.

So, sorry if me posting here is breaking the rules.

CCL...I'm thinking it might be time to ditch the B6221 pattern and move on. It's just too baggy for the rest of the look you  have in your swap collection. At a minimum, I'd try going down another size...this is still falling off you in the upper bodice.  And I suspect that was what was intended in the original design...so it's not a fitting issue.  Look for a similar style, but one that is more fitted through the shoulders. Also, will this kind of sleeve work under your lovely fitted jacket? Do  you want a blouse that also works with the jacket?

I'm still swap sewing too...we need a turtle catagory. For the also rans crawls.

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
Re: CCL's Whatever Was I Thinking? SWAP
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2018, 04:08:56 PM »
MODS/SWAP coordinator: Could we move the non-completers (me included) who are still slow sewing swap to another thread, or start a comment thread so we can comment on things still in progress? No one is now regularly kooking at the Swap comment thread.

So, sorry if me posting here is breaking the rules.

I'm still swap sewing too...we need a turtle catagory. For the also rans crawls.

Bessiecrocker and all, just keep posting in your individual SWAP topics as you have been doing. Anyone can comment on those topics now that SWAP is over. You may want to edit your very first post of your own SWAP topic where the topic title is and eliminate the request to reply on the main SWAP discussion thread.

So, to reiterate--now that SWAP is over, all comments are now welcome in the individual SWAP threads. Carry on, slow SWAPers. I for one am very interested in seeing your projects progress to completion. You all have done some lovely work. :)

Kathryn
My blog: I Made This! at http://imadethis-asewingblog.blogspot.com/
Flickr Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72428033@N00/albums

2018 Dress a Month count:

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
Looking good CCL glad you are still working away on your plan and enjoying it.

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
Here's my new inspiration photo for the teal wool challis.
 It's an Ann Taylor blouse - smocked square neck.  I would make it with plain cuffs.

Repost of the fabric picture.

wool-challis

I am thinking to line the bodice but leave the sleeves unlined.

I think the style might work with the other pieces, though it's al little more hippie-dippy than they are.

I am still sewing on my navy and green oxford cloth sleeveless shirt so it will still be a while before I get back to this, but Turquoise's post Turtle Sewing chatter got me mulling about this yardage again.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 09:45:15 PM by CCL »

Offline SheriC

• Subscribed Member
I really like the look of the Ann Taylor blouse.  Will be looking forward to seeing when you’re done.

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
Thanks, SheriC.   I don't know what is wrong with me, but every time I think I am ready to commit on this fabric, something holds me back.  Now I am thinking the fabric really wants to be a dress.   It might make up really well in V1544 - which I have - and I have the fabric already for the lining and the color is a great match, but I would have to muslin and I would get rid of the long ties in back - not sure exactly how I would change them.

Argh!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 10:01:49 PM by CCL »

Online Towanda

• Subscribed Member
I think this pattern and the fabric are a perfect match. I've been wanting to make this dress to wear to church. Can't wait to see your version and how you solve the collar conversion.

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
I want to make that Vogue 1544 dress too, but morphing it a bit for a daywear look. That may simply involve choosing a less dressy fabric.

Kathryn

My blog: I Made This! at http://imadethis-asewingblog.blogspot.com/
Flickr Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72428033@N00/albums

2018 Dress a Month count:

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
I think this pattern and the fabric are a perfect match. I've been wanting to make this dress to wear to church. Can't wait to see your version and how you solve the collar conversion.

Thanks, Towanda! --  Are you thinking of including the long ties?  I can them as totally working in a dress worn to church or an evening social.  I like the look of the ties, just not sure if they dress it up too much.

I want to make that Vogue 1544 dress too, but morphing it a bit for a daywear look. That may simply involve choosing a less dressy fabric.

Kathryn
Kathryn, would you leave the ties and just change the fabric or try to figure out a back collar treatment.

You two are encouraging me to go for it.   I am going to study up a bit on how the lining is attached -- my fabric is a bit transparent so I'd want the seam finishes to be clean.