Author Topic: Blind Hem Machines  (Read 16298 times)

Offline Drama Drag

Re: Blind Hem Machines
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2011, 01:30:08 AM »
I recently purchased a US blind stitch 518. Does anyone know where to find a manual that can be downloaded for free? I found one for the US blind stitch 718, are they "the same machine" with the 718 being a newer model? Thanks.

Offline CassandraW

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2011, 03:06:37 AM »
I am replacing my first needle in my blind hemmer.  (I have a Reliable MSK-588 portable blind hemmer.)  I spent about two hours tonight just trying to get the needle inserted just right.  Now the hemmer will not hem.  It doesn't pierce the fabric and the thread becomes tangled on the hook that makes the loop.  I've rethreaded the machine several times, as well as changed needles a couple of times.  Any ideas?

Online annenet

• Lighthouse fanatic and avid climber
    • Sewingtechie blog
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2011, 12:01:24 PM »
It does sound like a needle position issue. I've only changed the one in my Consew T75 once and it was quite the project! Next time I'm sure I'll be quicker. All I can say is to change it again and rethread.
Too many ideas, not enough time.

http://sewingtechie.blogspot.com/

Offline CassandraW

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2011, 10:19:32 PM »
My hemmer looks just like yours, Annenet.  What size needle do you use?   I'm trying to put in a #3 Organ needle. 

Offline CassandraW

« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2011, 02:58:56 AM »
Okay. . .I tried again tonight and even asked my husband to look at it as well.  We tried inserting needles in different sizes (2 1/2, 3, and 3 1/2) and none of them worked.  The machine would cause the treads to loop, ball up, and finally the thread would break.  I tried rethreading the machine, using different weight threads, etc., but nothing would work.  >:(

But. . .if I inserted the old needle that came with the machine, it hems perfectly!   :anguish:

I am using Organ needles that came with my machine when I ordered it.  Could it be a bad batch of needles?  Has anyone else had this problem?  Any other thoughts?

Offline Drama Drag

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2011, 06:32:46 PM »
I have a beast of a blindhemmer in a stand w/motor.  I can't comment on the portables, but wanted to tell you I think it IS worth the investment!  I found the blindhemmer the most difficult machine to learn to adjust, but after the learning curve, I wondered why I didn't buy one years ago!  I have a sewing business, but think it would have been a worthwile purchase when I was like you & just making all my clothes.  It's such a timesaver and I rarely handstitch anything anymore.

Gigi, thanks for posting what you paid for your machine.  I paid $950 (I think) for an old US Blindstitch 718 machine.  I know I could have gotten a new Chandler or something for less, but had more than one sewing machine guy tell me the old US ones are better.  Maybe I still got ripped off, but I like my machine.  Oh well!  It has a really nice, even stitch!

I have an old US Blindstitch 518 model. It purrs like a kitten when you turn it on, but when you step on that pedal, it runs like a tiger. I love it, I haven't did much with it yet, as I am wanting to get a complete tune-up (not that it needs one) just for my own piece of mind. I got a steal of a deal because the lady I bought from for $100. also threw in an industrial Singer 31-15 for free and it runs like dream with a beautiful stitch. I was going to sell the Singer, just to pay for the $100 I spent on the blindhemmer, but after trying it out...I can't part with it.  :'( My husband told me that he knew I would like that machine and wouldn't want to part with it.

Offline M.S.

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2011, 12:36:40 AM »
I am replacing my first needle in my blind hemmer.  (I have a Reliable MSK-588 portable blind hemmer.)  I spent about two hours tonight just trying to get the needle inserted just right.  Now the hemmer will not hem.  It doesn't pierce the fabric and the thread becomes tangled on the hook that makes the loop.  I've rethreaded the machine several times, as well as changed needles a couple of times.  Any ideas?

I bet they sent you the wrong needle system.  There are long and short ones.  I get mine from Sew True.  If you call them with your model #, they'll make sure to send the correct ones.

Offline M.S.

« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2011, 12:38:34 AM »
I recently purchased a US blind stitch 518. Does anyone know where to find a manual that can be downloaded for free? I found one for the US blind stitch 718, are they "the same machine" with the 718 being a newer model? Thanks.

518 is a little different from 718.  The 518 may not have the "skip stitch" feature.  The manual is probably close enough, though.  The oiling should be the same.

Offline CassandraW

« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2011, 06:49:23 AM »
I purchased my Reliable hemmer through Allbrands.com.  I e-mailed my problem to them and they have been very responsive.  They do carry a German needle that Reliable suggests using.  Allbrands.com's technicians did state that there is a slight difference in the Organ and German needles, but they didn't think it would make a difference.  But Allbrands.com is going to exchange my Organ needles for the German needles.  Isn't that great customer service?!  I am very impressed with them and their eagerness to assistant me. 

Online annenet

• Lighthouse fanatic and avid climber
    • Sewingtechie blog
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2011, 02:49:26 PM »
I for my Consew 75T through Sewingmachinesplus and got the German needles. They work great on my machine.
Too many ideas, not enough time.

http://sewingtechie.blogspot.com/

Offline Fitted Stitches

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2012, 11:39:20 PM »

Where were you able to find the manual for the 518 or 718? I recently purchased an industrial 518 at an auction and am still searching for information on it. I have a few questions if someone could help me out?

How do I find out what sort of needles I need?
How expensive is servicing?
Must I get special thread or can I use the same kind I use for regular stitching?
What kind of oil should I use for the machine?
Has anyone replaced the plugs on their older machines or do they tend to be fine?
One last thing - There is a staple of some sort holding the ends of the belt together. Does that indicate I need to replace the belt or are they all like that?

I REALLY appreciate any help you can give me. I just couldn't give up this machine for only $15, but do not know a lot about it.

Offline cristinacc

« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2012, 12:54:55 AM »
Hello just can across this thread. Great info, thanks ladies!  I've been racking my brain for days can someone answer this for me....can a blind hem machine create a blind stitched rolled hem for a silk scarf?  Basically I'm looking to simulating a hand sewn rolled hem on charmeuse & chiffon silk scarves.
THANK YOU KINDLY FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!
CC

Offline justgail

« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2012, 05:59:55 PM »
Hello just can across this thread. Great info, thanks ladies!  I've been racking my brain for days can someone answer this for me....can a blind hem machine create a blind stitched rolled hem for a silk scarf?  Basically I'm looking to simulating a hand sewn rolled hem on charmeuse & chiffon silk scarves.
THANK YOU KINDLY FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!
CC

I'm going to guess that unless there are special industrial blind hemmers for doing tiny hems, the answer is no.  I think most people use either a very narrow hem or use the rolled hem on an overlocker for scarves.  Or do things like fringe the hems.  I'm working (slowly) on doing a hand-rolled scarf hem, and I don't see how a machine could come close.

edited to add - although not that I think about it a bit more, would doing a VERY small normal machine blind hem work?  It might take some experimentation (and maybe a paper over the zigzag plate) and using the tiniest machine setting possible, and very steady hands...    and considering trying to do about a 1/8" blind hem on slippery fabric, I'd add liberal application of starch (can you do that on silk?) and the patience of Job.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 06:12:35 PM by justgail »
Gail
U.S. - eastern Iowa
Justgail

Offline collywobbles

« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2013, 03:46:59 PM »
Im trying to sew tiny hems on cotton scarves to sell. Im using domestic machines but having trouble at the corners. Both my Janome and Frister and Rossman cant cope and the fabric gets stuck. Is this a job for an Industrial machine?

Offline Doris W. in TN

« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2013, 05:09:22 PM »
Im trying to sew tiny hems on cotton scarves to sell. Im using domestic machines but having trouble at the corners. Both my Janome and Frister and Rossman cant cope and the fabric gets stuck. Is this a job for an Industrial machine?

Perhaps you need a rolled hem instead of a blind hem?

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics