Stitcher's Guild Reloaded

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome! :)

If you have trouble registering or logging in, please email me.    dl@artisanssquare.com

Author Topic: SWAP 2018 Official Rules  (Read 2721 times)

mudcat (SWAP Coordinator)

• Sonoran Desert / subtropical
SWAP 2018 Official Rules
« on: October 31, 2017, 01:07:52 AM »

2018 Seasonal Designer Collection SWAP Rules

You are the Designer. Create a cohesive seasonal collection of eleven garments of your choice.

Concept
Consider designer collections like Eileen Fisher, Karen Kane, Kaliyana, Bryn Walker,  Eskandar, etc  and how they work with a few neutrals, add an accent color or two and some prints.  Multiple styles of pants, tops, jacket/cardigan, dresses, accessories, etc are made from the limited color/print palette. New seasons bring new items that work with some of the garments from prior seasons. Your goal is to create a collection that looks like it belongs together and that you can easily add new pieces to in the future.

This plan will work quite well with 3 pack or 4 core concepts but provides more flexibility. If you primarily make separates you could plan out your outfits using the Sudoku grid by including extra accessories and/or shoes to fill the gaps.  If you prefer mostly dresses or pinafores you’ll need some pieces to layer them with even if you are able to wear the garment as a stand alone.

Plan:
Choose two neutral colors
Add one accent color and two prints OR two accent colors and one print
Make at least three garments from each neutral color
Make at least one garment from each accent color
Make at least one garment from each print
Remaining two garments may be made from any one or combination of your neutrals, accent(s) and/or print(s)
Create multiple outfits of at least two garments that work for your personal style
Each garment must work with a minimum of two outfits

Optional Accessory: add one self-made accessory as a signature piece that works with at least two of  your outfits

Rules
Sewing begins on 26 December 2017 and ends 30 April 2018
One garment may be started on 1 November 2017 and completed prior to 26 December 2017
One garment may be completed prior to 1 November 2017
One RTW garment may be included
Garments knitted, crocheted or woven by you may be included (limit of two since we are a sewing site)
Garments such as poncho, cape or wrap must include at least two pattern pieces, be one of your knitted, crocheted or woven items or have stitch work done by you to be considered a garment (otherwise it’s an accessory)
Neutrals do not need to be the same fabric, however, they do need to work together  **

Prize
I will award a $25 gift certificate to EOS or another online fabric store to the winner

Guidelines (not required but recommended)
Use TNT patterns as much as possible
Limit the number of patterns used since Designer Collections include the same garments made in different colors/prints
Consider using some textured neutrals to add more interest especially if you are a print person
Consider including one trend item based on your chosen season

Terminolgy:

garment: an article of clothing: pants/trousers, skirt, dress, pinafore, cardigan, camisole, tunic, leggings, jacket, shorts, poncho, vest, cape, etc
accessory: an object that is not essential in itself but adds to the beauty, convenience or effectiveness of something else: scarf, jewelry, footwear, wrap, bag, belt, etc
print: a non-solid color such as geometric, novelty, floral, plaid, check, stripes, multi-colored hand dyed/batik, multi-colored brocade, polka dots, etc
neutral color: typically black, gray, navy, brown, cream/white/oatmeal but you are the designer so it’s your choice (denim blue, plum, teal, etc)
accent color:  a color that pops but still works with your neutrals such as golden yellow, safety orange, bright red, lime green, etc
stitch work: for the purpose of SWAP this means beading, adding trim, hand embroidery and/or Alabama Chanin type techniques

** Regarding neutrals:
Using 2-3 different fabrics in the same neutral color is fine however they do need to be roughly the same shade and work together.  While this is easy to do with typical neutrals such as black, navy or white it may be more difficult with other colors so plan carefully.

Fall 2017/Winter 2018 Trends

checks, neutral plaids
florals/garden prints
denim
silver/metallic, sparkles/glitter
red, gold
americana: folklore, patchwork
trench with a twist
feathers or fringe
black leather
polka dots

Spring 2018 Trends
yellow, lavender, orange
bold graphic prints
geometric cutouts
more denim
tassels, sequins
sheer fabric
matching or coordinating fanny pack/bum bag

Other
I suggest photographing outfits as items are completed.  Judging/photo rules will be the posted at a later date but they will be similar to what has been done in the past.  Muslins, pattern fitting, cutting, interfacing, and other preparatory work may begin right away. As usual, individual threads are optional but all comments should go to the main thread.

If you have any questions, post them here and I will attempt to answer them. 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 02:13:19 AM by mudcat (SWAP Coordinator) »

peggyjo

• O/T Politics
Re: SWAP 2018 Official Rules
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 02:08:33 AM »

Most excellent plan!!!  😍

KarenDee

• SIgnal Mountain, Tn.
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 04:24:54 AM »

Mudcat, this looks like a perfect plan. Thanks, Karendee

Garden Girl

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 05:24:11 AM »

Very nice setup Mudcat! Congratulations!

I think you've completely eliminated the question "Can I use XXX as a YYY in my SWAP?" There is also plenty of room for any of us with unusual, non typical or oddball garments in mind. I'm thinking of me with that last one..... ;D

You did use the dreaded allocation of color, my biggest bugaboo with SWAP, but I think I've already figured out how to wrestle it into submission...heeheehee.

I almost had a question, then I remembered my pledge, bit my tongue and figured it out for myself. (My Pledge: I pledge to not ask any rules clarification questions. I can figure out for my self what the rules mean.)

I'm pretty sure with just a bit of effort anyone who really wants to do SWAP this year can find a way to make it work.

PS: Thanks for including an accessory! I was already planning on doing some and had meant to mention it during the discussion. Thanks for reading my mind.  :)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 05:33:17 AM by Garden Girl »

indigotiger

• O/T Politics
    • Acorn Cottage Artisanry
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 05:47:15 AM »

mudcat - these SWAP rules are a total win!! I appreciate all the thought that you put into them, and even if I had not vowed to not ask clarifying questions, I would have no need to... Huzzah!!! You rock!!
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Medea

• You'll find my Wardrobe Diary at
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 06:13:54 AM »

Thanks Mudcat for these rules that makes my brain start to find solutions for MY plan. I love it!
I'm at Instagram @ medeasgarderob (Medea's Wardrobe)

Elephun

• O/T Politics
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 06:16:55 AM »

Thank you, Mudcat!

Festfeuer

• www.festfeuer.de
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 06:37:14 AM »

Thank you for these excellent rules. I followed the discussion about the SWAP 2018 and am sure everyone will be happy with them. I right in my way of sewing my own collection at the moment so unfortunetly the SWAP comes to late for me. But I will take your rule as a guideline. And of course I will curiously watch to all collection to be. Have fun.

Yours festfeuer

Sew Ruthie Sews

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 07:34:01 AM »

Definitely food for thought, I would love to use some of the fabric I picked out for SWAP 2017 and never sewed up, this could be really great!

Saashka

• sewing in the Washington, D.C. area
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2017, 09:40:40 AM »

Excellent rules, mudcat, thank you! I didn't think I was going to participate this time but after reading the rules, I'm quite excited to get started.

Grasshopper

• Vintage Country Life
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2017, 12:27:44 PM »

Thank you very much for these rules, mudcat!  I love the flexibility offered and I also am appreciative of the requirement to sew a number of pieces in my chosen neutrals.  This will force guide me to sew the things I need to make my wardrobe actually work!   ;D
Lyneisa
Striving to live a full, meaningful country life and carry forward the talents and skills of my ancestors.

Lisanne

• southern England
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2017, 12:40:01 PM »

Whew - rules which focus on colours and fabrics rather than garment types - what a fascinating surprise !

Eek - I find I’m asking a question  ;D

The rules specify the colours/fabrics to use for 9 of the 11 items.
Presumably the other 2 items are ‘free choice’ about what colours/fabrics we use ?
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

Ann

• Everything Sewing
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2017, 01:26:05 PM »

Great rules Muscat. Wish I could join in but we are moving and will not be unloading our stuff off the truck until after Nov. 20. I won't be anywhere ready to join in unless I find all the doll, the doll's patterns and do a Doll Swap. I will be reading about everyone's plans though.

Ann
Education is a journey not a race.

http://everythingsewing.blogspot.ca/

Grasshopper

• Vintage Country Life
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2017, 01:35:54 PM »

Presumably the other 2 items are ‘free choice’ about what colours/fabrics we use ?

I was wondering about this as well!
Lyneisa
Striving to live a full, meaningful country life and carry forward the talents and skills of my ancestors.

Melinda_B

• Better Than I Planned
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2017, 01:49:44 PM »

I was assuming that as we have five fabrics already, that we would need to use them for the final two garments, rather than introducing another fabric in.

And here is where the questions come in, what one person saw as a question and opportunity to use more fabrics I saw as limited to the selection described earlier!   :D :D :D :D :D :D
Melinda

Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

Debbie S

• O/T Politics
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2017, 02:55:51 PM »

I read it as, use the five fabrics to make nine items, add one RTW and one previous sewn item. That gives you a total of 11 garments.   Sounds like a great plan to me!

RedDawn

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2017, 04:06:58 PM »

This sounds like a great plan for a designer wardrobe. I can't participate, but I will be watching to see what fabulous garments everyone makes.
~~ The fabric made me do it ~~

Lisanne

• southern England
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2017, 04:13:38 PM »

Following Garden Girl's advice and answering my own question :
We can take it either way, depending on our preferences  ;D

https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

Garden Girl

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2017, 04:14:25 PM »

Reread the rules. The Divine Mudcat describes allocation of color, not fabric. Down toward the bottom she said, bold emphasis is mine:

"** Regarding neutrals: Using 2-3 different fabrics in the same neutral color is fine however they do need to be roughly the same shade and work together.  While this is easy to do with typical neutrals such as black, navy or white it may be more difficult with other colors so plan carefully."

So she never actually said how many fabrics to use.

As an example I have 3 lengths of chocolate brown Brussels Washer linen, a 60/40 blend with rayon. One is the plain fabric, one is a nice Broderie Anglaise and the last has a motif done in a chain stitch in a heavy black thread. Also have the eyelet one in black. I could use the 3 brown ones as one of my neutrals, brown. I could also use the embroidered one for the print category. It's entirely possible at this stage that black may be used as an accent color, not a neutral, in which case I could use the black Emb. Anglaise. Or I could use it for an add on that isn't part of the SWAP.

Remember, per the Rules, we are the Designer. We should be the ones deciding how many fabrics that means.

bessiecrocker

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2017, 04:26:02 PM »

I was wondering about this as well!

I agree that this is open to interpertation. Clarification needed.

commenting on Garden Girl...I agree about use of fabrics and what you say. But there is no clear "rule" about the colors for the extra pieces. Required: 2 neutrals (total 6 pieces) 3 "accent/print" pieces , total 9 pieces. Rules do not specifiy other 2 garment type/fabrics/colors...so these are basically wild cards. Or?

As long as we are asking questions:
 Rule: you must  be able to make a 2 piece "outfit" out of each garment.
 Asking...Can I combine a dress (or other type of 1 piece garment) with (just) the Accessory to make an "outfit"? Dress and belt=outfit?, for example.

Re Debbie S's comment....it seems clear (to me) that the RTW and the previous sewn are both in the "may" category rather than the "must" .... is that how others see this?

I am totally happy with the rules, we are just doing "shake-down" for clarifications. Thank you Mudcat.

M lambie

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2017, 04:51:15 PM »

Yeah, I agree that the color of the remaining 2 items is open to interpretation.

On my first reading, I thought it meant that the final 2 fabrics can be any color or print that still works within the collection.

On my second reading, I think that it means we are supposed to ONLY use the 2 neutrals plus 2 prints/1 accent color or 2 accents/1 print. And I think the previously-sewn or RTW item is meant to fit within these color restrictions.

Note I did not ask a question. ;) Although I think people should be able to ask for clarification if they need it.

Mudcat, your rules are unique and they will make this SWAP a fun and interesting challenge!  Thanks for your efforts! ;D

Garden Girl

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2017, 04:52:01 PM »

Following Garden Girl's advice and answering my own question :
We can take it either way, depending on our preferences  ;D

;D Thanks Lisanne.

Ladies, take the pledge!  :)

Take a look if you like at this post I did the other day, where I pointed out that we are going about this all wrong, and it is especially true with this years rules, where Mudcat clearly states that we are the Designer.

We should, I believe, be reading the Rules over and then determining for ourselves what is meant by them. They are open to interpretation. I realized half way through last years SWAP that everybody should just be interpreting the rules for themselves. First it gives you a more authentic collection, more reflective of who you are and what you envision, which is really what SWAP is about I think. Second, it would really make live easier for the SWAP Coordinator; trust me on that one. Third, why should we give away our power to decide for ourselves or dump it back into the lap of the DSC?

I strongly believe that I can clarify the rules for myself. I think all the rest of you actually can too, if you want to. That's why I made this pledge before the rules were posted:

I pledge to not ask any rules clarification questions. I can figure out for my self what the rules mean.

ETA: I'm not saying you shouldn't ask for clarification if any of you want to. Of course you can! It's just that last year I had an epiphany during SWAP that really we should be figuring it out for ourselves and thereby using our interpretation of the rules/guidelines instead of forcing asking the DSC to parse out everything for us. Having been on the other side of the monitor, trust me when I say that interpreting them for yourself would be a true kindness to the coordinator. It might also yield some unexpected and delightful SWAPS. Remember, if you don't ask, you make the decision, based on the information provided already.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 05:08:06 PM by Garden Girl »

Elephun

• O/T Politics
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2017, 05:40:54 PM »

I like seeing the different interpretations that people have, like Mary’s example. Reading her post above opened new possibilities for me. I don’t need to know what Mudcat’s intent was unless she wants us to stay strictly to that.

bessiecrocker

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2017, 08:47:51 PM »

Asking...Can I combine a dress (or other type of 1 piece garment) with (just) the Accessory to make an "outfit"? Dress and belt=outfit?, for example.

In the spirit of deciding for yourself... I changed my mind and added a second layer so I have two things to wear with the dress. Not worth making the Sainted-leader fret over a decision.

Sew Ruthie Sews

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2017, 11:22:24 PM »

Yeah I took it that the last two items could be any of the colours previously used depending on what I fancy making by that stage, at least that's how I've written out my plan.

I love the way this approach, where each of us is the designer of our own collection, treats us as adults who can make choices for ourselves.
We are all hobby sewers with limited time to sew, there is a prize (though a modest one) its not thousands to start a line is it?
So let's really have fun, use the rules as guidlines to get those creative juices flowing.

I for one am planning trousers with angled front pockets made several times, a few cardigan style jackets and loads of knit tops. And its all stuff I will wear and wear once its done but its not anything super exciting. My inner designer is really happy about that but it wouldn't be someone else's dream. I'm also thinking of making several simple accessories and seeing what works best at the end.

JuneBug

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2017, 02:12:04 AM »

These look like they will be great rules.  As someone who wears skirts/dresses 99% of the time, I personally appreciate the focus on fabric/color rather than garment type.  I love the idea of being our own designer.  This leaves the field wide open to interpretation.

No questions, just musing. . . .

I think I will interpret a single "color" as an abstract concept (similar in hue and value) rather than a tangible single cut of fabric.  For example: three garments in neutral grey could be a corduroy skirt, a wool coat, and a silk blouse.  (I do have several pieces of fabric 5-7 yards which would make several garments out of the exact same fabric if I so desired.)

I am also thinking of interpreting the "print" as a concept as well.  A print to me would mean any field of a single color (background/fabric) with at least one other color or significant contrast.  I think that an Alabama Chanin style garment could definitely be classified as a print.  If I were to really push the concept, I would actually consider a very open stitched crocheted/knitted cardigan for spring/summer as a print when layered over a garment in a contrasting color.  For example, a red colored sweater/cardi worn over a white dress would result in a red/white pattern.  That's really pushing the envelope, but we are the designers here.

Then there are always the vague fabrics that cannot decide which category to embrace.  I would say a tone on tone could serve as a neutral OR a print depending on the particular fabric and/or the whim of the designer.

Any real plans will be much later as I am currently, and very, very slowly, redoing my fabric storage.  I have some preliminary ideas.

Solids/Neutrals

Fall/Winter: the basics: grey, brown, navy, and red are all possibilities, but I also have 6 yards of a nice drapey auberguine.  There is also fuschia to consider.  I have 4 yards of med/dark fuschia boucle, some fuschia silk, and a beautiful black/fuschia/floral silk taffeta stripe (like a Gypsy skirt).  Accents could be about anything, except black.  I have some nice cobalt blue somewhere.

Spring/Summer: I can go with traditional naturals of tan, natural, camel, light grey. Or neopolitan ice cream/pastels (I have linen in these colors).  Or, I have suiting in soft blue, cream, natural, and yellow. 

I'll have to finish up the fabric sort before making any definite plans.  I'm sure I'll discover things I have forgotten I already have.  It's been a bit like Christmas come early the last couple of weeks.

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2017, 03:30:56 AM »

Ruthie and Melinda_B have the right idea as to what I was thinking regarding the last two garments which is why I specified "at least" x number of garments from neutrals, accent(s), print(s).  If you include a RTW or garments made prior to 26 December they should also be made from one of the neutrals, accent(s) or print(s).

I've also read that one of the current trends is to make a split garment from two prints (one on each side) ... so that is also an option for one of the last two garments.

An outfit is defined as two garments which would preclude a single garment paired with an accessory.

In the other thread someone mentioned pinstripes and I would fully agree that pinstripes in a neutral would be fine.  It should read as if it were a solid.

But, ultimately you are the designer. Use your best judgement.

Some examples:

Vivid Linen: http://www.vividlinen.com/feature/your-daily-dose-of-style
Neutrals are black, white, cream and two shades of gray.  Accent is the lemony lime.  Accessories are black and striped scarves 

Eileen Fisher https://www.eileenfisher.com/shop/new-arrivals/lookbook/?lookbook=true&lookbook_month=3821
Neutrals are black, gray and cream.  Accents are mustard yellow and teal. No accessories or prints here but one could easily add a couple that would work with two or more solids.

Kaliyana https://shonmodern.com/collections/lookbook-antwerp
Neutrals are black/gray. Accents are yellowy green.  Accessories are scarves.  the gray on gray could be used as a neutral or print. The first five rows use the same few colors but then the last two rows introduce purples and teals to extend the wardrobe.

If I didn't answer a question please ask again.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 03:36:00 AM by mudcat (SWAP Coordinator) »

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2017, 03:32:54 AM »

mods, can we have this pinned please

indigotiger

• O/T Politics
    • Acorn Cottage Artisanry
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2017, 04:17:17 AM »

Although I did vow to not ask questions, I am breaking that promise... not because I want to push the envelope, since the rules to me seem like very flexible guidelines, but because I am unclear as to whether the "optional accessory item" is included in the eleven items made, or if it is intended to be item number twelve...  I read it as item number twelve, but wanted to be sure...
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2017, 04:41:53 AM »

the optional accessory would be a 12th item

« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2017, 02:17:28 AM »

I have added a comment about the last two garments on the first post for clarification.

Grasshopper wondered if she could combine her fabrics to create a blocked garment for one of her items and that is perfectly fine.  In fact, I have seen some indication that a current trend is to make a garment using one fabric on the left side and another on the right side ... often with prints.

Lisanne

• southern England
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2017, 08:48:52 AM »

Hah ! thanks for the clarification Mudcat  - I'll have to rethink my 'free choice' a bit, but not to worry, we have 6 months to sort out such decisions  ;D

Sew Ruthie Sews

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2017, 09:04:14 AM »

thanks for editing the original post Mudcat, it makes it easy when all the clarifications are in one place :-)

Grasshopper

• Vintage Country Life
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2017, 01:19:26 PM »

thanks for editing the original post Mudcat, it makes it easy when all the clarifications are in one place :-)

I agree!  Thanks for the clarifications (and noticing my pondering on my individual thread)!
Lyneisa

KayoticSewing

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2017, 04:52:23 AM »

Question to the moderator ‘Mudcat’ - Can you clarify please.

Neutral 1 - red
Neutral 2 - cobalt blue
Accent - white
Print - red fabric with anchors printed on it
print - light blue and white stripes

Must the last 2 wild cards be one of the above neutrals/accents/prints that was already selected or can it be a new print or accent?

Fabric Mart Fabrics Style Arc Sewing Patterns LA Finch Fabrics
Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here