Stitcher's Guild Reloaded

Advanced search  

News:

To purchase a gift subscription for another member, please send a private message to DragonLady, telling her who you would like to gift, so permission can be obtained before you send any money.

Author Topic: Sharing Inspiration and Project Photos  (Read 103885 times)

Ann

• Paid Member
    • Everything Sewing
Re: Sharing Inspiration and Project Photos
« Reply #665 on: June 11, 2018, 09:02:04 PM »

Week 4 of the Edwardian Summer Sew Along is completed. It was a Boat dress or as I called it a Sailor's dress.

I had quite the time figuring out what fabric to use and combed through the stash looking. I finally looked at the left over fabric from DH's shirt and thought it would do. Wasn't exactly sure if it would work. But it did. The only thing that needs to be done is make the sleeves wider. They are very tight on Laura. Other than that, it was a finicky make with the pleats and not so great instructions once you made the bodice. Google and my imagination were my best friends.

Ann
Education is a journey not a race.

http://everythingsewing.blogspot.ca/

theresa in tucson

• Paid Member
« Reply #666 on: June 11, 2018, 11:05:46 PM »

Ann, that is an adorable dress.  It would be lovely to see on a little girl, too.

fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #667 on: June 12, 2018, 11:38:10 AM »

DebbieS, thank you for the compliment on the Lodo Dresses that I made. Very seldom do I make a dress without significant modifications, but I believe that this one can be made straight out of the box for almost any figure type and be successful. Have fun making your Lodo Dress in the future.

Ann, I hope your husband doesn't notice a big hole in one of his shirts. Just kidding. :D It was a good idea to use shirting fabric for that little dress. It looks to be the perfect weight and should hold the pleats nicely. Congrats on a job well done.

Kathryn
My blog: I Made This! at http://imadethis-asewingblog.blogspot.com/
Flickr Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72428033@N00/albums

2018 Dress a Month count:

CCL

• Paid Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #668 on: June 12, 2018, 09:06:41 PM »

Ann, I don't comment often about them, but I love seeing all your intricate work on the clothes for the dolls.  These Edwardian  dresses and togs are just so sweet.  Please keep the photos coming!

Kathryn -- the Lodo dresses are so cheery and perfect for summer. 

Ann

• Paid Member
    • Everything Sewing
« Reply #669 on: June 14, 2018, 09:49:14 AM »

Thank you for the kind words on Laura's dress. I finished knitting a bolero and I tried it on her for fit and it goes nicely with he dress. Not happy with the sleeves both in my finishing and the pattern. I probably won't knit it again.

I do have a hat pattern to try so will knit it to go with this outfit.

Ann

Morzel

• Paid Member
« Reply #670 on: June 14, 2018, 11:25:35 AM »

Ann, is there any online site where to view the other sew-along entries? It would be so interesting to see what everyone makes of the patterns...

Kathryn, repeating myself from the dress-conversation, I really like that striped dress. The red one will be a great canvas for interesting jewellery and will be wearable a lot.

I kept sewing the rayon fabric I bought in May, the weather is unusually warm here the last weeks. This time I made something for a friend of my daughters (who is a big taller than my modelling daughter). Very simple. My daughter requested a similar dress/tunic for herself. I made up the pattern myself.

Eva

Ann

• Paid Member
    • Everything Sewing
« Reply #671 on: June 15, 2018, 09:24:10 AM »

Morzel, what a cute dress you made. A lucky girl to have you in her life.

The link to the Edwardian Sew Along is here. There are some amazing outfits that have been sewn. You will have to sign into flickr.

Ann

fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #672 on: June 15, 2018, 12:38:04 PM »

Eva (Morzel), you're putting your rayon fabrics to really good use this summer. I just got a rayon fabric on sale (online impulse buy) and thought of you when it arrived.

That little dress is so cute. How sweet of you to make it for a friend of your daughter's.

I saw on the Dress a Month topic the photos of the shirtwaist dress you just finished. It looks great too.

You do such a nice job with your sewing. It's always a pleasure to see your work.

Kathryn

Morzel

• Paid Member
« Reply #673 on: June 17, 2018, 08:20:53 PM »

Ann, those fotos (luckily I can view them without being a member) are wonderful! I had a really fun (looong) time looking at a lot of photos. And smiled, each time I came across a Sasha doll. That was MY doll, back in the days... and I still think they are the most beautiful! Well, imprinting, I guess. But interesting, how many different types of dolls show up. Thanks for the link, Ann!
Eva

Ann

• Paid Member
    • Everything Sewing
« Reply #674 on: June 18, 2018, 09:16:02 AM »

Morzel, I'm glad that you enjoyed looking at the photos. It is fun to see what kinds of dolls others have.

Ann

Ann

• Paid Member
    • Everything Sewing
« Reply #675 on: June 19, 2018, 08:47:12 PM »

The last dress is done and it was more pleats. Pleats got easier as time went on but the twist was a curved pleat. I used one of my rulers to get it right.

Laura really likes this dress as it is called Rainy Day dress and we had a good rain last night.

All the dresses in one picture.

Now on to easier sewing.

Ann

KarenDee

• Paid Member
  • SIgnal Mountain, Tn.
« Reply #676 on: June 20, 2018, 01:31:49 AM »

Ann, that wardrobe collection for your doll is amazing. Great job on all the clothes.

Karendee

Morzel

• Paid Member
« Reply #677 on: June 20, 2018, 05:01:48 PM »

I'm smiling - a rainy day dress in yellow... perfect! The polka dot looks great for a 30/40s dress...
Eva

fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #678 on: June 26, 2018, 08:44:03 PM »

A simple summer skimmer--a no-horizontal seams dress for showcasing the fabric over the design:

I self-drafted the dress based on one I already own.

More on my 'blog.

Kathryn
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 08:49:14 PM by fzxdoc »

Saashka

• Paid Member
  • sewing in southern Maryland
« Reply #679 on: June 27, 2018, 01:10:13 AM »

Fabulous dress, Kathryn! Your pattern really lets your fabric take the spotlight.

Ann, your doll dresses look wondeful! I am amazed at how much patience you have for the tiny pieces and seams.

Morzel, you are a gem to sew such a cute dress for your daughter’s friend! I hope she loves wearing it.

Helen M

• Paid Member
« Reply #680 on: June 27, 2018, 08:38:13 AM »

Love your dress Kathryn, the fabric is amazing!
Sewing in Cheshire

[/url]

Ann

• Paid Member
    • Everything Sewing
« Reply #681 on: June 27, 2018, 09:56:21 AM »

Thank you for the kind words on the Edwardian outfits. It was fun and I got the bonus pattern which I will make someday to have for the collection.

Kathryn, the dress you made is beautiful. Love how you chose to show case the fabric with a very simple dress design.

I finished knitting a cardigan for the dolls. It is one I will knit again.

I am almost done the dress I have been knitting. I am blocking the skirt and it takes a while to get it done so the hem doesn't curl up.

Ann

• Paid Member
    • Everything Sewing
« Reply #682 on: July 03, 2018, 09:41:00 AM »

I am trying to use up the last of the shirting fabric and made this dress and hat for Laura. I still have a bag I want to make using the shirting for the lining. I also need to knit a bolero to go over the dress. It will be white.

The big silver button on the hat may go and something else put on it. I will decide on the rick rack tail lengths at that time. Suggestions are welcome.

Ann

PJSewingal

• Paid Member
« Reply #683 on: July 10, 2018, 07:25:23 PM »

Ann - I am truly impressed with the doll wardrobes.  I am sure they take a lot of patience and you do a beautiful job.  So creative!

Kathryn - your dress is fabulous.  Great use of that fabric.  Your test versions look good as well.  Great that you can put them to use.

I completed a shirt recently with embroidery.

SA Marley by pjsewingal, on Flickr

More information on my blog
Paula
Sew many ideas, Sew little time

Blog: https://spoolsandyards.wordpress.com/

sdBev

• Paid Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #684 on: July 11, 2018, 12:56:46 AM »

Paula

Saw the shirt on your blog.  Love it.

Bev
sdBev

PJSewingal

• Paid Member
« Reply #685 on: July 11, 2018, 01:16:22 PM »

Thanks, Bev.  As you know, the embroidery planning, testing, etc takes as long as making the rest of the garment!
Paula

sdBev

• Paid Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #686 on: July 11, 2018, 03:01:25 PM »

Thanks, Bev.  As you know, the embroidery planning, testing, etc takes as long as making the rest of the garment!
LOL dont I just.   I often spend more time searching theough the collection than actual time embroidering ^-^
sdBev

CCL

• Paid Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #687 on: July 16, 2018, 04:42:24 PM »

Not sure this pair counts as much more than happy accident - but I have been inspired by the Towanda Guideline (don't put remainder fabric back in stash, try to think of something to make out of the left overs) as part of stash busting. 

As I posted elsewhere, I used some oxford cotton shirting that Better Half had picked out for a shirt to instead make a chupa - and I had a chunk left over.  So I made V6772 (sleeveless shirt) and still had more left over for shorts.  I made the shorts long - since I could and that would use up the last of the shirting.  I didn't really plan this out, but it ended up a weird two piece "romper" like outfit.  I got a kick out of the placement of the stripes between the two pieces as this was totally unplanned.

Vogue 6772  OOP Simplicity 6984 - by CCL photos, on Flickr

Cheriecz

• Paid Member
  • aka Cheriemg
« Reply #688 on: July 16, 2018, 06:34:31 PM »

pjsewinggal, Love your blouse. Fit is fab, I gotta make one!
CCL, I love your shirting blouse and shorts. Looks cool, and goes with other items, great job on the styling, and the sewing! I really studied your Flickr photos, good tips!
Cherie

Sewing in the Arizona desert

CCL

• Paid Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #689 on: July 16, 2018, 07:12:25 PM »

CCL, I love your shirting blouse and shorts. Looks cool, and goes with other items, great job on the styling, and the sewing! I really studied your Flickr photos, good tips!

Thanks so much, Cherie!  You made me think... I have gotten kind of lazy about putting notes in on my flicker page - guess I thought doing so wasn't really of much interest to anyone.  Your comment made me think that perhaps I should go back and add them in case they are useful to someone!

sdBev

• Paid Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #690 on: July 16, 2018, 11:30:39 PM »

Ccl
I think t is a very nice shorts set. Not weird at all.
sdBev

Ann

• Paid Member
    • Everything Sewing
« Reply #691 on: July 17, 2018, 09:42:06 AM »

pjsewinggal, a great basic shirt for your wardrobe. It fits you well.

CCL, what a nice short set and the unplanned stripe placement is a bonus. Job well done.

I have been pattern testing for doll designers and this pattern was finally posted. A cute 1970's top and cuffed pants. My version is made out of cotton and chambray. I will definitely make the top again and will try to slim down the pants as they are well designed.

The test I'm doing now is almost finished. Two more afternoons and it will be done. Hopefully I can show it near the end of the month as I'm really in love with this outfit.

Ann

fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #692 on: July 17, 2018, 04:23:34 PM »

Such nice projects!

Paula, you look great in your new shirt. How clever of you to find two patterns that meshed together perfectly to make your ideal shirt. I would not have noticed that collar stand feature of the Style Arc pattern had you not pointed it out. It's so well thought out for an open-collar look.

And speaking of thinking things out, your search for the perfect density for an embroidery embellishment panned out perfectly. The shirt looks light and fresh with the lighter touch of embroidery at the hem and upper back.

Very nicely done. Congratulations.

CCL, I was waiting for the remainder of that fabric to show up. How much fun--a romper look with the convenience of two (perfectly matched! :o :D) pieces. Serindipitous as it may have been, you should take full credit for the matching job. The outfit should be nice and cool for summer and should mix/match well too. Nice way to use up that fabric.

Ann, you must have the best-dressed dolls in eastern Canada. Another fun combo--I especially like the cuffed pants. Brings back memories of the days when I would inadvertently hook the high heel of my shoe into a pants cuff when descending a staircase. I never did the elbows-over-teacups graceless fall that I'm sure I'm more than capable of, but came close a few times. ::)

Kathryn

PJSewingal

• Paid Member
« Reply #693 on: July 17, 2018, 08:51:24 PM »

Thanks Cheriecz, Ann & Kathryn for the nice comments on my shirt.  It is comfortable even in the hot weather we are having.

CCL - good job on getting shorts out of the fabric to match the shirt (in more ways that one!)

Ann - cute doll outfit.  I still think you are a saint for making such tiny clothes - glad you enjoy it so much so we can see the fruits of your labor. 
Paula

CCL

• Paid Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #694 on: July 21, 2018, 07:00:10 PM »

Thanks, PJSewingGal, Ann, Kathryn, and sdBev -- I surprised myself and actually have been wearing these together.  Thanks, SDBev, for the "not weird" confidence booster.

Agree with the cute doll outfit comments as well.  I am so in awe of the work you do, Ann...everything is so meticulously sewn, and all the little details, the buttons, the rickrack, the cuffs on this latest pair of pants.  Just so expert!

I swear you are going to inspire me to start sewing small.  Actually, I do have a doll that I need to make a pinafore for and will probably be asking you and the other experts on the Doll thread for help.  I need to get some photos and organize my thoughts, but will try to do that in the near future.  As a teaser - it's an old wooden jointed Swiss doll that my grandmother had someone purchase for me in Switzerland.  I never played with it, but kept it in its box -- just looked at it and patted it because I was afraid to ruin it.  Fast forward to many years later, when my father passed away, the doll was still in her box in his house.  The moths, unfortunately, had done a number on her woolen pinafore.  I was able to wash her blouse and petticoat/pants.  Her silk bonnet is okay, though not in good shape, and I still have her little taffeta shawl.  It's the two piece pinafore that's in shambles.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 09:15:14 PM by CCL »

fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #695 on: Today at 12:31:27 PM »

In this morning's email from Emmaonesock, there is a lovely linen dress by Kathryn Brenne in the Inspiration section.

Linen Dress Tutorial by Kathryn Brenne

It's a beautifully made dress with just the right amount of machine embroidery to elevate it from its simple dress look. Kathryn Brenne has such a great eye.

I am thinking of making it from this silk shantung, on sale today from Mood Fabrics.

But first I'm going to do some stash diving to prevent another load of fabric arriving into my Stashatorium.

Kathryn

« Last Edit: Today at 12:48:27 PM by fzxdoc »

Fabric Mart Fabrics Style Arc Sewing Patterns Put Your Ad Here
Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here