Stitcher's Guild Reloaded

Advanced search  

News:

Remember:  Finalizing a subscription is a manual process, so be patient; your account will be updated ASAP.

Author Topic: Book Chat: Fiction and Non-Fiction  (Read 59248 times)

cheetah

• Paid Member
Re: Book Chat: Fiction and Non-Fiction
« Reply #595 on: March 30, 2018, 04:00:29 PM »

Agree with you, mudcat, The Coroner's Lunch was well done, and it was hard to read about the conditions.

I just finished the first Maisie Dobbs book and am looking forward to the next one. What a great series, and I love that she's included the meditation aspect.

fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #596 on: March 30, 2018, 07:49:57 PM »

I just finished the last of Denise Mina's procedural police detective mystery series with DI Alex Morrow of the Glasgow, Scotland police force. It's a very interesting series with the characters well drawn. Alex Morrow has family, anger management and glass ceiling issues and each is folded in as she tries to find the criminal of choice for the novel. Among the things I like about this series is that Mina describes the crimes but not horribly graphically, which is a relief to my mind, and also that her criminals themselves are well developed--not just scary nutcase serial killers, for example, as in other books (Val McDermid, I'm looking at you even if you are Scotland's most renowned crime novelist. :D)

My next Denise Mina read will begin the Paddy Meehan series. I watched two seasons of that series on Acorn TV and really enjoyed it. So now on to the books to see how close those TV screenwriters got the story.

But first, on to more notable works of fiction. Next up is G.B. Edwards' The Book of Ebenezer Le Page . Here are some of its literary plaudits:

Literary significance and criticism

Since its publication in 1981, it has been critically acclaimed, as well as winning the admiration of the people of Guernsey for so accurately capturing the island and its character.

John Fowles wrote an enthusiastic introduction to the Book, it was very favorably reviewed by William Golding, among several others, and Harold Bloom included it in The Western Canon. Stephen Orgel wrote that it was 'one of the greatest novels of the 20th century'.

Although Penguin let it go out of print, it was reprinted by New York Review Books Classics in 2007. It has meanwhile been published in French and Italian.

Kathryn
My blog: I Made This! at http://imadethis-asewingblog.blogspot.com/
Flickr Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72428033@N00/albums

2018 Dress a Month count:

mudcat

• Paid Member
  • Sonoran Desert / subtropical
« Reply #597 on: March 30, 2018, 08:07:24 PM »

I've been convinced.  Just bought Still Midnight (first Alex Morrow book by Mina).

fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #598 on: March 30, 2018, 08:09:45 PM »

I hope you like it, mudcat.

Cheetah, I read several of the Maisie Dobbs series in order. I need to get back to it. On the list the next one in line goes. :)

Kathryn

Bookish

• Paid Member
« Reply #599 on: March 30, 2018, 08:56:33 PM »

I just read that Anita Shreve has died... wonderful author.  I read Weight of Water and the Pilot's Wife when they came out.  Will have to catch up.

And now a quiz that anyone who has worked in a library will understand:  Around 1998 (when Weight of Water was published), there was another novel set in a marina about a woman who goes to live in a houseboat with other quirky characters... I  know, I know.  We used to have people ask for "that book about water that that wonderful author wrote, and No, it's not Weight of Water..."  This is what life was like in library land  ;D ::).
I read it then and liked it... the assorted characters were especially well-drawn.  Ah me, the IIRC part of the brain has let me down!

But I will get Weight of Water out again.

ed to add: old library pal says it was Beachcombing for a Shipwrecked God by Joe Coomer... could be.  Will check.  Once a librarian, always a librarian...

Connie

« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 09:02:52 PM by Bookish »

Lessalt

• Paid Member
« Reply #600 on: April 05, 2018, 04:46:21 AM »

Kathryn,
Liked everything that Denise Mina has written. I agree about the graphic descriptions, also not a fan of crazed serial killer tales where the killer tortures his victims. That's just me.

Finished "The Great Alone" by Kristin Hannah and I enjoyed it although not as much as her previous book, "The Nightengale."

fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #601 on: April 05, 2018, 11:39:06 AM »

Good to know about Kristen Hannah's latest book, Lessalt. I didn't read The Nightingale, although it has received marvelous reviews. I was going to give The Great Alone a try, though. With your comments, I think I'll move it further down my Must Read list.

I finished The Book of Ebenezer Le Page that I wrote about a few days back. What a fantastic novel. It lived up to the high praise it received from so many presigious authors and critics.

Last night I finished Tangerine by Christine Mangan. It's a pretty good book, written in the same vein as The Talented Mr. Ripley. It's been optioned by George Clooney for a movie starring Scarlett Johansson. I blame it for my measly 75 minutes of sleep last night. :snooze:

Kathryn

mudcat

• Paid Member
  • Sonoran Desert / subtropical
« Reply #602 on: April 06, 2018, 12:44:22 AM »

I'm about half way through Still Midnight  (by Mina).

The writing is fine. I like Alex and the cop side of things in general but I'm not enjoying the bits involving the criminals as much. Maybe I prefer my criminals to be smarter than these losers. Is this the style for all of the series? 

Lessalt

• Paid Member
« Reply #603 on: April 06, 2018, 04:38:14 AM »

Kathryn,
"Tangerine" was very good although the ending was a little surprise but it worked. What a wonderful setting for a film. Which character would Scarlett play do you think?

fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #604 on: April 06, 2018, 12:13:18 PM »

I'm about half way through Still Midnight  (by Mina).

The writing is fine. I like Alex and the cop side of things in general but I'm not enjoying the bits involving the criminals as much. Maybe I prefer my criminals to be smarter than these losers. Is this the style for all of the series? 

Well, Mudcat, I guess that Mina's writing is true to life since, in my opinion, most criminals are not too overburdened in the intelligence category. ;D Seriously though, as you found, the books are more character-based, both on the "good guys" and on the criminal side. There are no arch-nemesis characters in her books.

I'm wondering is you might like some of Anthony Horowitz' books. He wrote The Magpie MurdersMoriarty and House of Silk among others.

Do you ever go to Goodreads.com? They're having Mystery Week this week. When I clicked on that lead, I got to a list of 50 Hidden Gems for Mystery Readers . While I had read most on that list that interested me, I found 35 good suggestions in the Comment section that followed that Hidden Gems section.

Here's a link to that Goodreads Mystery and Thrillers section.

Kathryn,
"Tangerine" was very good although the ending was a little surprise but it worked. What a wonderful setting for a film. Which character would Scarlett play do you think?

I was wondering the same thing, Lessalt. While I would think she'd have the lead role of Alice, she has the figure of Lucy. I'm curious about the casting too.

I liked the story but thought the suspense aspect could have been tighter. There were too many reminiscences of crunching through the leaves at Bennington, etc. instead of getting on with the story and building suspense.

The author got a $1million+ advance for the book as a result of a bidding war. Ostensibly the hope was that this would be the next Gone Girl. For me, it wasn't, but it didn't really have to be. I do think a good screenwriter could turn this book into one heckuva movie, though.

Kathryn
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 12:14:54 PM by fzxdoc »

Bookish

• Paid Member
« Reply #605 on: April 07, 2018, 01:14:16 PM »

Oh Kathryn,
Thanks for the info about Goodreads Mystery Week lists... I too found some goodies in the comments section (sometimes the most fun of Goodreads I think).  Ruth Downie's Medicus series sounds like great fun... especially for this old Classics major.

Has anyone read any of Susan Hill's Simon Serailler series?  Or any of her other works?  She sounds like a good author to follow.

And for those who've read the Elsa Hart's Li Du novels (Jade Mountain Dragon and White Mirror), the third in the series City of Ink is coming out this summer. 

Reading Kate Quinn's Alice Network for book club.  The parts about Evelyn the spy are terrific... Charley's not so much.  It is tricky to have two narrators and I can see why she tried it, but I find myself just skimming over Charley to get to the good stuff.

Connie

fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #606 on: April 07, 2018, 01:46:24 PM »

Connie, I started the Simon Serallier series because someone here recommended it. It's pretty good; I'm up to the 3rd one now and it seems to be the type of series that gets better and better as it progresses.

I really enjoyed the first in the Li Du series and for some reason didn't continue on with it. Good to know there are two more books to be had.

The first in the Medicus series was good as well. It's always interesting reading about sleuths in ancient Rome.

In that same vein, someone here recommended the SPQR mystery series a long while ago, and I have worked my way through the first few of them. They're good reads too.

Thanks for reminding me about The Alice Network. I thought it was an interesting premise and meant to get to it, but somehow it slipped my radar. Reviews of it are sketchy, some loved it others not so much. Let us know how you end up with it and how well it went over in your book club. Knowing your tastes, I bet your book club is a lot of fun.

From that 50 Hidden Gems for Mystery Readers that I linked us all to in my previous post, I picked up The Eight by Katherine Neville and am reading it now. It wasn't in the actual 50 Hidden Gems list, but several people in the comments section raved about it and thought it should be on the list. It's along the same lines as The Da Vinci Code--this one based on chess, chess masters, and intrigue down through the centuries.

So far, I'm enjoying it.

Kathryn

Bookish

• Paid Member
« Reply #607 on: April 25, 2018, 10:28:17 PM »

Has anyone read any of the Gary Corby Ancient Greece series?  The first one is The Pericles Commission with the brother of Socrates as the investigator and Pericles too...
a)  how have I missed this
b)  how am I supposed to get garden, attic, sewing done with all these good things to read?

Connie

fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #608 on: April 26, 2018, 07:31:52 AM »

Connie, you just reeled me in with that Athenian series. It looks like a really good series to investigate. Thanks. And just give up on the chores and enjoy the books. :D

For Sherlock Holmes fans, I recommend a book that stirs the pot with a fresh take on Conan Doyle's works: A Study in Scarlet Women by Sherry Thomas. I expected it to be a shallow literary palate cleanser and surprised myself by how much I enjoyed it.

Kathryn

Joyce P

• Paid Member
« Reply #609 on: May 01, 2018, 10:26:49 PM »

You guys!!! I have 9 library books on my table. If you keep coming up with tempting titles - and series, too - I fear I'm doomed. At least it will be a happy passing ;-)

Finished "On Tyranny" last week. One of the "hot" books, it seems. And it is a nice, concise series of things to watch out for and things to do in response, i.e. vote, hit the streets, make friends, etc. Short little book, which I'd love to give to all of my nieces and nephews. They haven't grown up in an era in which government activity was for the general good of society. Not that all of it was, of course! But I think it's tragic that they know nothing but to be suspicious of a dysfunctional state - no matter who's in charge.

I hope to finish "Russian Roulette" on an upcoming cross-country trip. Will report back. And I have a few Inspector Banks paperbacks that will fit into carry-on quite nicely!

granmomus

• Paid Member
« Reply #610 on: May 14, 2018, 03:43:02 AM »

We recently were traveling so I was able to catch up a little on my Kindle while in the air, I finished Evidence of Love by John Bloom & Jim Atkinson, true murder that took place in the Dallas area in 1980, it caught my interest because we were in that area for the 1st time last fall for a wedding, the town names were familiar. It was well written & researched, interesting, didn't expect the ending.

I started Unsaid, by Neil Abramson, about 1/3 into it, very good, I hope the ending doesn't disappoint me. Fiction about a female veterinarian who dies at age 37, come back to watch how her husband, animals & friends are coping.

I usually have at 2 or 3 books going, audio in my sewing room, kindle when traveling or doctor's appointments, and real book. I read many recommended here, love this topic, but don't often comment. I have to confess because by the time  I get on computer I can't remember the title or author  & book in different area of house even though I remember the plot line.

Bookish

• Paid Member
« Reply #611 on: May 14, 2018, 02:53:28 PM »

Hi Granmomus,

I too keep multiple reads going... (now, am I in the mood for fiction, non-fiction, mystery, new, old...?).  And oh my, the suggestions here are wonderful as is the advice just to skip the housework.  Thanks Kathryn.  ;D

My latest delight is Howard's End Is On the Landing by Susan Hill.  Hill is a well-known author of mysteries and other fiction.  Her first book was published when she was 18.  She's one of those amazing British writers who knew everybody.  This is a collection of essays about the books she discovers in her bookcases...ones that she's forgotten or never read with the memories they stir up.  Terrific.  I'm keeping a notebook handy to write down authors or books to search for.

Connie

granmomus

• Paid Member
« Reply #612 on: May 14, 2018, 03:29:11 PM »

Hi Granmomus,

I too keep multiple reads going... (now, am I in the mood for fiction, non-fiction, mystery, new, old...?).  And oh my, the suggestions here are wonderful as is the advice just to skip the housework.  Thanks Kathryn.  ;D

My latest delight is Howard's End Is On the Landing by Susan Hill.  Hill is a well-known author of mysteries and other fiction.  Her first book was published when she was 18.  She's one of those amazing British writers who knew everybody.  This is a collection of essays about the books she discovers in her bookcases...ones that she's forgotten or never read with the memories they stir up.  Terrific.  I'm keeping a notebook handy to write down authors or books to search for."

Connie

Good idea, I need to keep a notebook, I read or hear about a book, write it down on little slips of paper that immediately disappear; or want to recommend a book but can't remember the title or author, LOL

Bookish

• Paid Member
« Reply #613 on: May 14, 2018, 09:35:40 PM »

Granmomus... the notebook is a step up for me.  Bits of paper with cryptic author (?), title (?), DGD's doll's measurements (?) lurk around anywhere I settle to read and have a pen or pencil.   ::)

Off to search out Unsaid and Evidence of Love.  They sound intriguing.

fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #614 on: May 15, 2018, 12:54:26 PM »

Hi Granmomus,

I'm keeping a notebook handy to write down authors or books to search for.

Connie

Good idea, I need to keep a notebook, I read or hear about a book, write it down on little slips of paper that immediately disappear; or want to recommend a book but can't remember the title or author, LOL

The best thing for my book reminders has been Goodreads. I list all the books I have read there and am making an effort to write a very short review for each. I also keep a shelf (Goodreads list) of books I want to read.

I've read some goodies lately:
Faith Fox by the excellent Jane Gardam. If you haven't read any of Jane Gardam's books, you're missing a real treat. Her "Old Filth" trilogy is absolutely wonderful, starting with Old Filth. It's not as disgusting as the title may imply. It's a wonderful not-in-love story. I'm thinking of re-reading that trilogy since I enjoy her work so much.

Bedlam Stacks
by Natasha Pulley who wrote The Watchmaker of Filigree Street, which I enjoyed. Bedlam Stacks was too long and not nearly as good as Watchmaker, but a decent read nonetheless.

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein was fun to read if you like dog narrators. I love the dogs-eye-view but the story itself was pretty lame, IMO. Read for Book Club.

Days without End by Barry Sebastian. How an Irish guy can write such a good novel about the American West surprised me. Sebastian's well-praised writing style is perfectly showcased in this book. As good as Lonesome Dove but not on that large a scale. Excellent read.

La Belle Sauvage (Book of Dust #1). If you're a Philip Pullman fan, this book does not disappoint. I have read all of his Dark Materials series into which this book fits as a prequel. I loved it.

No Ordinary Time
by Doris Kearns Goodwin. Oh my. What a book. It describes life in the Roosevelt White House during WWII. Goodwin won the Pulitzer Prize for History with this one. It is excellent. The poignancy with which Goodwin describes Eleanor and Franklin's marriage melted my heart. Talk about star crossed lovers. Plus the war history is good as well.

Exit West by Moshin Hamid. Longlisted for last year's Booker. I would have liked this more had I not read soooo many immigrant/migrant experience books over the past couple of years. The best part was the unsentimentality of Hamid's writing style. It allowed the reader to hear the story and anguish over the injustice of life on his own. No heavy proselytizing here (can you hear me, Colson Whitehead?).

England, England by Julian Barnes. Barnes is one of my fav authors of all time, and reading this book was just a treat.

The Secret, Book, and Scone Society by Ellery Adams. This chick-lit mystery is a literary palate cleanser. I read it because the story is set in my neck of the woods in Western North Carolina. I enjoyed all the local references, but the story line was predictable, implausible and thin. Sometimes I like that sort of read, though.

Currently I'm re-reading On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan on audiobook read by the author. I really enjoyed the audiobook form because there is an interview with McEwan at the end which is brilliant. This book made the sleepless wee hours of the morning much more bearable. I wanted to re-read (listen) to it because the movie is coming out this month.

Kathryn

Bookish

• Paid Member
« Reply #615 on: May 15, 2018, 09:37:23 PM »

Kathryn,
(Wish I had such productive insomnia!)

I sympathize with your disappointment over Secret, Book and Scone Society.  Had a similar reaction to Murder For the Books by Victoria Gilbert.  Sigh.  Set in my area of Virginia (towns, names, geography), told by local librarian... hilarously true to life opening paragraph.  But then, no more library land except for Our Heroine explaining forever how librarians do online research.  No real feel for local color or people.  Two mysteries... one set in 1920's and the other in the 1950's which got confusing. 
Ah well, it's her first and the second in the series is due for this summer.  I await in hope :).

Connie
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 09:47:22 PM by Bookish »

Bookish

• Paid Member
« Reply #616 on: May 24, 2018, 09:41:38 PM »

From a Goodreads recommendation from Lois McMaster Bujold, I got Jackalope Wives and Other Stories by T. Kingfiser... Oh. My.  Okay, you need to like sci-fi/fantasy and you need to like short stories too.  I'm trying not to gulp.  Savored and loved "Tomato Thief" last night.  Kingfisher (aka Ursula Vernon) won a Nebula Award with it.  Oh my, oh my... laughed and loved it.  Don't want to spoil it for anybody, but wowsa.  And there's more (one a night, now... savor and don't gulp).

Connie

RP

• Paid Member
« Reply #617 on: May 25, 2018, 05:00:29 PM »

I love T Kingfisher/Ursula Vernon's books . She started many of her books as an ongoing free series on her blog, and later had them published. Her last book was Summer in Orcus, I think. I really enjoyed it. A little Alice in Wonderland-ish .

fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #618 on: May 25, 2018, 05:08:29 PM »

Well, then. Must go sleuth out Ursula Vernon books. Thanks, Connie!

Kathryn

margyh

• Paid Member
    • A Fool 4 Fabric
« Reply #619 on: May 25, 2018, 05:16:28 PM »

I just finished Michael Ondaatje's new book, Warlight. Exquisite writing as always, intriguing characters, not quite up there with The English Patient, one of my all-time favorite books, but definitely worth reading.

RP

• Paid Member
« Reply #620 on: May 25, 2018, 11:52:26 PM »

Michael Ondaatje's English Patient is truly a wonderful book, I loved it too. Sometime after reading it I started another book of his -- Anil's Ghost. It is about the civil war in Sri Lanka many years ago. I found some parts so disturbing and gruesome that I put the book away to be read later if I could. That was over 20 years ago -- never picked it up again. It has very good reviews but I can't bring myself to go back to it. Perhaps time to try another one of his books. I will look for Warlight.

The book I enjoyed reading the most within the past two years is A Gentleman in Moscow ( Thanks ,Kathryn/Fzxdoc. You were the one who introduced me to it on this thread many moons ago.)

peggyjo

• Paid Member
« Reply #621 on: May 26, 2018, 02:40:07 AM »

Warlight is on my list, and Iím working (a little ó too many books going at once right now!) on Anilís Ghost.  My favorites of his are audio versions of Divisadero (read by Hope Davis) and The Catís Table (read by the author). Ondaatje has had an interesting life. I keep meaning to try some of his poetry, but I havenít managed that yet.

fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #622 on: May 26, 2018, 12:54:22 PM »

I, too, enjoyed The English Patient and Divisidero, but The Cat's Table has eluded me so far. Must remedy that. Thanks, Peggyjo.

You're right, Margy, he writes beautifully.Thank you for recommending Warlight to us. I was on the fence about it, due to mixed reviews, but now I'll put it on my Must Read list.

Kathryn
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 12:59:21 PM by fzxdoc »

margyh

• Paid Member
    • A Fool 4 Fabric
« Reply #623 on: May 26, 2018, 02:51:54 PM »

BTW, listening to Divsadero was what won me over to Audible books, 10 years ago.

peggyjo

• Paid Member
« Reply #624 on: May 26, 2018, 03:20:30 PM »

BTW, listening to Divsadero was what won me over to Audible books, 10 years ago.

It's certainly the first audiobook that made me think it was possible to view audiobooks as enjoyable in their own right and not just as a convenience.  If you like Hope Davis's reading, I also really enjoyed her reading of Ann Patchett's State of Wonder.  I just find her reading really easy to take; she gets out of the way of the story.

fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #625 on: May 26, 2018, 04:57:41 PM »

Well, I just realized I had read The Cat's Table about 5-6 years ago. I kept thinking I had, but it was been before I started keeping a list of books I have read on Goodreads. When I read the description, I felt I must have read it, and now I'm sure I have. Does that ever happen to anyone else?

Makes me think I should read it again to refresh my memory. As well as Ondaatje writes, it would be a pleasure. Plus it looks like the audio version is read by the author and is available at my library.

From another topic I was reminded that I want to re-read One Hundred Years of Solitude as well. Gabriel Garcia Marquez did such a fine job of that. It was perfect for me at the time of my life when I read it.

I have just finished Julia Glass's newest novel, A House Among the Trees, based on the life of Maurice Sendak. I had enjoyed her book The Three Junes, for which she won the National Book Award (I even recommended it for Book Club), and thought to give this one a try as well. She writes much like Ann Tyler--stuff happens but not big stuff. Life evolving, mostly, so you get to really know and like the characters themselves. 

And I loved Mr. Flood's Resort by Jess Kidd. It was quirky, certainly, since that's how Kidd writes, but not has humorously quirky as her first book, Himself which is one of the best books I've read in a while.  To my mind, these books are best listened to, since being read in an Irish accent is half the fun.

I've also polished off The Naturalist by Andrew Mayne which was creepy enough to keep me awake all night reading it. I was surprised I liked it so much, being more of a "fluff" book, I thought. The sleuth happens to be a PhD. Biologist and there's some good science in them thar pages, besides the scary bad guy.

And to round out the week, I read Cranford so I could watch the series again on Amazon Prime. An enjoyable book, gentle, with lovely character depictions.

Kathryn

margyh

• Paid Member
    • A Fool 4 Fabric
« Reply #626 on: May 26, 2018, 09:44:05 PM »

Well, I just realized I had read The Cat's Table about 5-6 years ago. I kept thinking I had, but it was been before I started keeping a list of books I have read on Goodreads. When I read the description, I felt I must have read it, and now I'm sure I have. Does that ever happen to anyone else?

Kathryn

YES! Thatís one of the many bonuses to me of Kindle Books/Audible. When I go to order a book Iíve forgotten I already bought, it tells me ďyou bought this book on such and such a dateĒ. It just happened as I went to order [iHimself[/i] based on your recommendation...I bought it months ago! 8)

fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #627 on: May 27, 2018, 12:41:10 PM »

Yes, Margy, I have the same luxury with Kindle/Audible, which I use a lot. But I also download many books from the local library, and of course they don't keep lists of what I have ordered, at least not as far back as 5 or 6 years.

That's one reason why I started keeping track of the books I have read on Goodreads, which I joined back in 2014. Goodreads is a nice fit for me. This year I've started making an effort to write a small review/comment with every completed book.

Enjoy listening to Himself. :)

Kathryn

Bookish

• Paid Member
« Reply #628 on: June 12, 2018, 11:27:48 AM »

Martin Walker's latest Bruno Chief of Police is out today... Taste for Vengence.  If anybody wants me, I'll be in St. Denis :)

fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #629 on: June 12, 2018, 11:58:13 AM »

Order up the wine and cheese in one of the little sidewalk cafes, Connie (bookish), and I'll join you. :D

I'm reading a creepy as heck book right now by Peter Swanson. It's a murder mystery where you already know who the serial killer is and have to figure out when/how he will strike again or get caught. It's called Her Every Fear .  I read another of his books a couple of years ago, The Kind Worth Killing , which I also thought was very good with a nice twisty plot.

Kathryn

Fabric Mart Fabrics Style Arc Sewing Patterns Put Your Ad Here
Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here