Author Topic: Looking for a Workman's Coverall (??) pattern  (Read 8867 times)

Online shams

• Communing With Fabric
Looking for a Workman's Coverall (??) pattern
« on: May 08, 2010, 01:48:51 PM »
I am looking for a pattern and it doesn't help that I can't seem to find the right name for it.  :)

It's a one-piece garment, with pants and long sleeves, that has a zipper from crotch to neck, and no waist seam.  It seems that painters wear these to protect their clothing.  There must be some place that makes these patterns, because I can't find them under Costumes *or* Uniforms in the pattern books.  I need it in a small adult size, and it would be nice if it had a bit of shaping for a female, but I can probably adapt as needed.

Offline Patti B

Re: Looking for a Workman's Coverall (??) pattern
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 02:52:46 PM »
Shams, I think they're called jumpsuits or at least that's what we called the ones my Dad wore when he worked on the car. Most patterns have a waist seam -- is that a deal killer? Here's one from Lanetz Living that doesn't. [Other results on the site]--

Offline Patti B

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 02:58:47 PM »
Or, someone has posted their own pattern with instructions for a GI Joe jumpsuit. OK, I'll stop now~!

Offline Hen

• sewing in New Zealand
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 03:11:48 PM »
I know these working clothes as overall, at least here "jumpsuits" means it is made fom more flowy fabric (and then there is the "catsuit", also one-piece, and tight!).
onion has one for women, but judging from the shoes she is not going to do blue-collar work.

and here is one by kwik sew
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 03:19:33 PM by Hen »

Offline vtmartha

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 04:08:49 PM »
Thanks for posting these jumpsuit patterns!  I've had the idea, which has yet to come to fruition  ;), of making one from silk organza.  That way I could wear shorts and a tee on a hot summer day, slipping the jumpsuit on to do my barn chores when bugs can be annoying.

Offline Patti B

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 04:35:52 PM »
vtmartha, what a clever idea to use silk organza for a jumpsuit. A bug suit! Do make one and take a photo. It'll be a new way to be sexy in the barn. hee hee

Online shams

• Communing With Fabric
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 04:44:38 PM »
That was my thought too, Patti!  What an exotic, sexy solution and I would love to see it!

Thanks for your help, everyone.  Dialects are so interesting.  The word overalls hadn't occurred to me, but when I thought about it, I realized that to me, overalls are those denim things that farmers wear, with a bib, over a shirt.  :)  Jumpsuit is a word I haven't heard for years, and, to me, it connotes that sort of pattern that you posted, Hen and Patti.  Something you would wear as a fashionable garment, rather than a work garment.

Both the Onion and the Butterick patterns have features I am looking for.  I will think on this some more.  I may even meld a top and pant together to achieve the desired look.

What is this for?  My daughter wants a Viper pilot costume for Comic Con.  I am trying to scope it out.  :)

It looks something like this:

Offline Karen Roth

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 05:07:18 PM »
Ooh one of my boys wanted something like that for Halloween one year, glad he zeroed in on something else!
I think "coveralls" may be the word you were thinking of for the painter's garb, but those are typically loose and baggy, looks like you got better pattern suggestions.  I bet this will be really cute on your daughter from other pics you've posted.
Martha what a great idea for the bug suit!  Sewists can come up with whatever they want and make it happen where those not so gifted just have to wait for someone to invent and manufacture it :)
Karen

Offline Patti B

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 06:17:20 PM »
Shams, I have no doubt that your creative mind and drafting skills will develop a great costume. I almost posted this one; guess I should have! It might have some ideas in the pattern.

Offline theresa in tucson

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 10:17:31 PM »
From the look of the Battlestar Galactica photo you need a dolled up flight suit.  In the military we teasingly referred to what the the helicopter pilots and crew members wore as "rompers".  Tank crewmen wore somtething similar as well.  The suit is an all-in-one garment, has tabs at the waist for adjustment, tabs at the cuff and tabs/zippers at the hem, a two way zipper in front, multiple pockets, in particular on the lower leg and thigh all designed to keep the essentials handy when doing crazy things in an aircraft like flying under fire. The KWIK SEW pattern could be easily modified with epaulets, leg zippers and leg pockets.  There are several mail order companies that serve military, police and other first responder type professionals.  In think one is called "The Cavalry Store" and they are bound to have pictures of regulation flight suits and maybe even some of the more exotic ones - parachute jumpers come to mind.

Online shams

• Communing With Fabric
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 11:21:17 PM »
I showed my daughter the patterns suggested, and she most liked the Kwik Sew!

Thanks again, everyone!

Offline Karen Roth

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 05:12:48 AM »
Ooh one of my boys wanted something like that for Halloween one year, glad he zeroed in on something else!
I think "coveralls" may be the word you were thinking of for the painter's garb, but those are typically loose and baggy, looks like you got better pattern suggestions.  I bet this will be really cute on your daughter from other pics you've posted.
Martha what a great idea for the bug suit!  Sewists can come up with whatever they want and make it happen where those not so gifted just have to wait for someone to invent and manufacture it :)

Well.  Nevermind that last post. Obviously it said coveralls right in the subject line!  Was I really still decaffeinated at 11 a.m.???::)
Karen

Offline bessiecrocker

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 10:19:22 AM »
Shams, have you looked at the painter's coveralls? They are meant to be disposable but the fabric is fairly sturdy...would work for a costume that didn't get alot of hard wear. The painter versions are white, but could take dye or be spray painted. The fabric is sturdy enough that you can sew on it. Add details like pockets, zippers, belts, etc.  Put your sewing time into the decorations, the fun stuff...

I've been enabled by Hen...I took a look at those Onion patterns and now I'm on a jacket rush. Loved all their designs. I'm adding  Danish to the list of languages I'll ignore while sewing. I searched and found an old thread about Onion patterns, thanks for the info.

Offline vtmartha

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 10:27:18 AM »
I get my Onion patterns shipped to the US from shoponion.com but the coveralls weren't listed.  Can't imagine why!  ;)  Anyway, I sent off an email asking how to purchase it.  Bessie, the instructions are translated when you purchase from shoponion.

Offline Liz in PA

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 01:15:31 PM »
shams,

Love your plan! Now THAT'S thinking outside the box!

~Liz

Online shams

• Communing With Fabric
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2010, 05:29:52 PM »
Thanks!  :)

Now my challenge is to find the fabrics.  I've found the fabric source used by the folks who made the TV show, but it's pretty prohibitive at over $50 per yard, and I'm not sure you can even buy a small quantity.  I now need to find a stretch vinyl sort of fabric.  I'll worry about that vest later.  ;)

Thankfully I have a few months to get this done.

-s-

Offline theresa in tucson

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2010, 01:43:58 AM »
Shams, try Spandex world.  I have also seen patterned almost leatherlike stretch material in Joann's and Hancocks. 

Online shams

• Communing With Fabric
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2010, 05:14:49 AM »
Thanks, Theresa!  I had not heard of Spandex World.  :)  They don't have the right color, but it got me searching all over the internet.  Hopefully, something close will turn up.  :)

I did buy some silver metallic from Fabrix today that should work for the wrist and ankle cuffs.  I also bought some grey and black for the undershirt.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics