Author Topic: Hot Patterns Info Index  (Read 31588 times)

Offline MaryBeth

• The Stitchery
Re: Hot Patterns Info Index
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2007, 03:16:07 AM »
Here is my review of the Sportive Skirt Suit jacket.  I made the mandarin collar version.  This was intended as a wearable muslin and I am extremely pleased with it!  As you can read, if fit directly out of the envelope!  There is more information in my blog as well.

Hey, Lorna, I clicked on your review link and got only the comments, no review.  Weird. 

Maybe I can give the link:  Lorna's HP Classix Nouveau SSS (Sportive Skirt Suit) review

I love the black interior band!  On you it really suits (oh punny)

Offline Lorna Newman

• Newman's Needle
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2007, 03:24:55 AM »
Thanks, Mary Beth!  I must not have been logged in when I entered the link.  I've fixed it.

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2007, 04:36:52 PM »
MaryBeth & Lorna,

I had also noticed the problem w/ the link, so had fixed it when I added it to the list in the first post on this thread! ;) 

Please always check the first post on this thread and let me know if there is a problem with the links to "your" things! (BTW, I always update the "as of" date--at the bottom of the thread--for links added to that post.)

Thanks! :D

Lisa

Found: a favorite silver bracelet that I hadn't seen for a while.  On its four quarters it says "Welcome Introspection; Accept Wisdom; Seek Illumination; Embrace Innocence."   It's like a "magic 8-ball" on the wrist...

Offline Lorna Newman

• Newman's Needle
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2007, 05:01:14 PM »
Thanks for the reminder. Lisa!  I had totally forgotten that you were listing the links at the beginning of this thread.  I just went out of habit to the end and posted.  This takes effort for you and I really appreciate it.  This set up makes it easier to locate reviews/links for HP projects.

If I get half of the ones on the table done, you're going to be busy in the next couple of months! ;D

Offline MaryBeth

• The Stitchery
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2007, 06:55:24 AM »
Slick, Lisa!  I haven't been here enogh to be paying good attention.  Sorry if I stepped on toes.

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2007, 04:54:40 PM »
Slick, Lisa!  I haven't been here enogh to be paying good attention.  Sorry if I stepped on toes.

No toes stepped on here!  I generally read threads by clicking on the "new" button which takes you to the posts you haven't yet read.  Since this thread has the "index" (or as I like to think about it, the "good stuff") in the first post, I just wanted to remind people to take a look up there.  :)

Thanks!

Lisa
Found: a favorite silver bracelet that I hadn't seen for a while.  On its four quarters it says "Welcome Introspection; Accept Wisdom; Seek Illumination; Embrace Innocence."   It's like a "magic 8-ball" on the wrist...

Offline Lorna Newman

• Newman's Needle
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2007, 07:19:26 PM »
Here is a review on another one:

Bo Ho Delux Lacy Wrap Cardigan

I'll write it up on my blog later on, but that needn't be posted here.

Offline Jennifer S.

• Jen in SF
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2007, 07:20:08 PM »
I will post a link to my review too! I made the camisole of the Miss Money Penney twin set.http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/readreview.pl?readreview=1&reviewnum=12895
 I do want to make it again, but I think that I will definately need to go down to a size 8.  The pattern sizing is quite generous, especially now that I am toning up and losing weight. ;D

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2007, 09:58:56 PM »
Added!  Thanks Lorna & Jennifer!

Lisa

Offline Lorna Newman

• Newman's Needle
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2007, 11:03:10 PM »
Here is my review of the Dragon Cargo Pants ...
http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/readreview.pl?readreview=1&reviewnum=20004

Jury is still out on these ...

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2007, 03:14:07 AM »
Added to the first post in this thread!  Thanks Lorna! :)

Lisa

Offline Terri K

• Asheville NC USA
    • Sew Terri
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2007, 04:39:49 PM »
If this topic is specific to reviews of specific patterns, with links, why isn't it a topic under "reviews"?   I think that makes more sense.    If you want to keep it here, then we need to create topics for links to other independent pattern companies that have topics here as well.   Fair play for all.
Terri K

Link to my blog Sew Terri

My Flickr Photos

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2007, 05:48:58 PM »
Teri, It's not just for links to reviews. 

At the time I started this, we kept getting "anybody know anything about this pattern" questions under "patterns," so I started compiling that information--and asking people to post in this thread if they had a link to such information.  I haven't seen those sorts of inquiries on a regular basis for other lines...if I had, I probably would have started something similar.  I am not, however, the indexer of the world and create such things only if I see a need.  I also rely on people posting those links here, so that I can add them to the index post at the top of the thread.  To clarify, these are not links to the patterns themselves, but rather to information or discussions about them, and sometimes (but not always) those are reviews.

Lisa

Offline Terri K

• Asheville NC USA
    • Sew Terri
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2007, 06:31:03 PM »
OK, but why is it constantly at the top of the pattern topic list?  As such, the perception is that SG is promoting these patterns over others.   Is HP paying for this service as I noticed there is other advertising now?
Terri K

My Flickr Photos

Offline LindaF

• My Knitting Notebook
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2007, 07:19:15 PM »
 Fair play for all.

:-\

I don't get this. There is nothing unfair about this topic.
SG definitely has fair play for all.  There is never an independent pattern that is not discussed.

Looking under "patterns and instructions" I see a topic for Louise's pattern, Loes Hinse, Nancy Erickson, Mrs. Stylebook, Burda WOF, Pamela Patterns, sewing workshop, and Diane Ericson.  So there is no evidence of something being unfair.  Just because the topic does not say the word "info" does not mean that information is not being listed.  I know more about putting together a Louise pattern (and one seam pants) and I don't even own one of her patterns.

Let's see - you started the topic of Cutting line Designs, and Loes Hinse patterns, you ask a lot of question on the Nancy Erickson topic,  and you participate on the Sewing Workshop discussion to name a few.  I also notice that any discussion you have had about HP patterns are nothing but negative.  From the few messages of yours on the HP board that I read, you definitely do not like these patterns or the company or something about their business practices.  It unimportant to me why or which part of it you don't like.  What is important to me is that I like this company's line very much.  And I like to talk about them with others and I like to have a spot where I can find the information, just like you do for all the patterns you like.

I have zero interest in the other pattern companies listed above.  And those companies are discussed way more than HP patterns on this board. I would never think to go to one of those topics and ask for "fairness" in representation.

I don't like HP being singled out like this all.  I have no affiliation other than being a frequent and satisfied customer.  But I am a little offended that the pattern company I like to discuss is being singled out as being unfair when it is NOT.

And who cares where it is in the order of the pattern topics list.  What a ridiculous accusation to even suggest that HP or DL is doing anything underhanded.  DL has started putting advertisements along the bottom.  HP would get far more coverage down there than having a single topic in a single area always kept to the top.  When you put in the time like DL does to keep this thing going, then you can deserve to ask.  I have often wondered how much you are getting paid by Wechter's to make sure that store is constantly discussed here. 

Please, if you don't like HP patterns, then just leave it alone and let those us who do like, no - love them have our spot on this board too.

Seriously, why do you care what order it is in on the topic board?  What is your motive in asking this question?  Why are you so concerned with the order?  What does that have to do with anything? 

Accusations like this make me, a HP fan, very uncomfortable.

I tolerate all the discussions about pattern companies and stores that I have no interest in; and I think this board would have a more congenial atmosphere if we all held the same attitude.
Linda

New granddaughter! - Ava Leigh at 7 months featured in my profile pic
My Knitting Notebook - My Knitting Blog
LMF Designs - StitchnCount applications for Blackberry and Apple

Offline Terri K

• Asheville NC USA
    • Sew Terri
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2007, 07:34:29 PM »
Whoa!    I  ask questions and I participate - start topics - because I enjoy the independent patterns and experiment with them.  That's my hobby, not my business.   I'm a professional woman and I have personal (not financial) relationships with many of the published sewing personalities, so when I'm traveling on business or personal, many times I will visit with them at shows.   I was unfairly accused of "not liking" Nancy, which was stupid, slanderous and not true, as I have traveled with her group and spent many thousands of $$ on her trips, patterns and fabrics.   I thought this was a public board where we could ask questions.   Is there a problem with that?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 02:51:39 AM by Terri K »
Terri K

My Flickr Photos

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2007, 08:04:51 PM »
OK, but why is it constantly at the top of the pattern topic list?  As such, the perception is that SG is promoting these patterns over others.   Is HP paying for this service as I noticed there is other advertising now?

Terri, it looks as if the thread got made "sticky" somehow.  I don't recall having done it (but have done so in the past when someone is asking for the info that's in that thread--then unstickied when they seem to have gotten what they were looking for), but it could have been done by any of the mods.  I've just "unstickied" it, so it will be in the list whereever its most recent-in-time post places it.  I certainly haven't heard of anyone paying for thread placement...hadn't even thought of it!

Lisa

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
  • The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
    • Your Button Shop
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2007, 10:23:54 PM »
Just to clear up the confusion, I stickied the topic, and forgot to un-sticky it.  I was trying to aim someone to it, and kept messing up the link, so I finally just told her it was on top.

Sorry 'bout that.

Also, just to lay all the accusations to rest, Hot Patterns doesn't pay me for anything, in any way. 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 10:38:27 PM by DragonLady »
Looking for the perfect button?  I may have one in my Etsy shop:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/RoadsideAttractions

QueenBee

« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2007, 06:11:10 AM »
Linda, Terri has a right to speak up too. Sheesh.... Oh, I started the Diane Ericson  thread, and would have happily done it for Louise, whom I adore. All of which is of no consequence and doesn't matter.

I am myself confused by the function of this particular index thread in two areas. First, if it's an index of all the pertinent posts of links for HP, why are all the links also listed? Seems like a waste of space and of moderators time to monitor it. I don't really get the point of keeping all of it.

Second, why isn't this stuff just in the Hot Patterns Thread and not in a seperate Child Board? It's very confusing to me.

Because of this Child Board, I can see how anyone could easily assume that Hot Patterns was getting preferential treatment. If, of course, anyone did. ;D Oh, not that I care. ;D Just that no one needs to get so bothered about someone having a different opinion or a question.  ;D

Rene Marie
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 07:33:20 AM by Garden Girl »

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2007, 10:43:19 AM »
I am myself confused by the function of this particular thread in two areas. First, if it's an index of all the pertinent posts of links for HP, why are all the links also listed? Seems like a waste of space and of moderators time to monitor it. I don't really get the point of it.

Second, why isn't this stuff just in the Hot Patterns Thread and not in a seperate Child Board? It's very confusing to me.

Hi Rene Marie!

The  idea is that there will be a single post (the first one in the index thread) that can direct you to lots of other info about various patterns in the line.  Did you wonder what someone else thought said about something?  There are links there!  You don't need to scroll through an entire multi-page thread or threads to try to see if what you're looking for is there...  We've noticed that you'll otherwise find that info all over the board (in related threads which are not so difficult, but also in various seemingly unrelated threads) as well as on the web (in various blogs & other boards).  No one person can ID all of that stuff, so we hope when you see something somewhere that people might want to see, that you'll post in the index thread for that pattern line: what it is and where it is.   The indexer can then add that link to the initial (or index) post. 

The editing note at the bottom of the index thread is intended to show where the indexer is in incorporating links into the index post.  If you see that the've edited through April 11, 2007, you can see what anyone has posted as links after that date (and ignore anything earlier, since it will already have been incorporated).   You can also use that date when you use the advanced search feature on the board, if people have been posting their links in the appropriate index thread...

These threads are not the place for discussion...please take that out to the usual thread for that pattern line.

Please note that those posts need not be long...as in fact, once the info has been incorporated into the index post, it's entirely possible that a post will be deleted! (We do love you, we just want to avoid the sort of duplication you're thinking of--if we see that someone is having a discussion, we can always move it out of the index thread once the indexer has had a chance to incorporate the links it has.  For example, once I think you've had a chance to see this post, I'll probably move it out to the "How does this work thread.")   

First, an index thread only works well if the first post is where the index is.  Whoever started the thread is the only member who can edit that post (other than admins & mods), and that member may simply have had a questions or wanted to solicit some discussion of something about one of their patterns.  They may not have wanted (or now want) to volunteer to maintain an index.  And we don't want to co-opt their "first post in the thread" and turn it into an index instead of what it was intended to be by its poster.  Worse yet, even if the mods/admins decided to be indexers it would look like we kept editing their part of a post by "Member"!

Second, the discussion threads are intended to be just that: discussion.  So they will tend to be multi-page threads over time--and eventually, they'll get archived.  These are intended to be single-page threads, and if they work the way we hope, they won't get archived.  (We still need to sort out how we'll handle links to archived materials...BTW)

Finally, if we want people to use indexes (as well as volunteer to create & maintain them!) we need to make them easy to find.  If you don't know if there even is a Dianne Ericson Index thread, you shouldn't have to scroll through multiple pages of threads under Patterns and Instructions trying to check.  So we've made that part easy.  Discussions there...indexes here!

HTH,

Lisa
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 10:45:43 AM by Lisa »

Offline LindaF

• My Knitting Notebook
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2007, 01:32:12 PM »
Rene,
I just sent you a PM, but  I will respond here too.

I was not "hot and bothered".  There are other things going on in the world that I will save that for.

It seems that HP is always, always pointed out and receiving a negative attitude.  I would just like it to be treated the same way as any other independent pattern company.  I have never seen any disscusion of any negative nature on any other independent company board and I would like the same consideration here. In the past, those of us that have loved these patterns have taken a pacifist attitude in letting something like this pass.  Maybe if we had been more vocal (much like your comment about Diane Ericson) the first time, then the negativity over HP would not be tolerated ettiquette wise, just like it isn't tolerated for other companies.   And maybe because we weren't so vocal, it continues.  I have decided that I would not be pacifist anymore.

I also do not need someone to tell me to get down girl.  That is just rude. Rudeness like that is tolerated in a PM, not publically. At my age, I don't need scolding.

I apologize to Terri for the public message, I still stand by what I said. I should have sent her a PM to voice my opinion privately.  Seeing how that is what I prefer, I am sure that she would prefer the same.

I think the best thing is to drop this now.
Linda

QueenBee

« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2007, 10:21:52 PM »
Lisa, thanks for making this child board thing make sense!  Now I see what you were going for. I think we need oodles more of them now, now that I "get it". :D So, with that in mind, I started one for Cutting Line Designs. Burda WOF needs one too. Somebody want to step up for that?

Lisa, feel free to delete any of my posts here to help you get back to that *one-page* status you wanted for the indexs. BTW, there are quite a few little chit chat posts on page one, over 6 months old, without links that could probably go when you have time.

Thanks again for explaining it so well!!

Rene Marie

QueenBee

« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2007, 10:55:32 PM »
Linda- ;D
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 07:28:28 AM by Garden Girl »

Offline LindaF

• My Knitting Notebook
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2007, 11:54:17 PM »
Garden Girl/Renee/QueenBee:
No problem.
Actually I saw that I had 2 pm's and I just deleted them without reading them.
I asked for it to be dropped and in order for it to do so in my little world it meant not reading about it anymore.
Thanks for the heads up,
Linda

Oh, and to keep this topic on track, it probably would be best to delete all off-topic messages.  At least you have permission to delete mine - to the moderators
Thanks!  I appreciate the help!
Linda
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 11:55:57 PM by LindaF »

Offline LizGo

• My sewing pictures
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2007, 12:56:48 AM »
Lisa, I wasn't aware of this separate HP thread. So, awhile back I was making the Bustle Back skirt and had a problem,  I could have searched here first to see if anyone had a review?  I eventually got a reply from HP about my problem and was able to complete the skirt.  Then, I posted a "FYI" about the BB skirt in the regular HP thread, in case anyone else ran into a similar problem.  Perhaps I should have posted that here instead? Also, I just completed (and wore!) the HP Weekender It's a Wrap dress. If I were to write a review I would post it here?

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2007, 01:43:35 AM »
Lisa, I wasn't aware of this separate HP thread. So, awhile back I was making the Bustle Back skirt and had a problem,  I could have searched here first to see if anyone had a review?  I eventually got a reply from HP about my problem and was able to complete the skirt.  Then, I posted a "FYI" about the BB skirt in the regular HP thread, in case anyone else ran into a similar problem.  Perhaps I should have posted that here instead? Also, I just completed (and wore!) the HP Weekender It's a Wrap dress. If I were to write a review I would post it here?

Hi Liz!  Glad you asked.  You could have looked at the initial post on this thread, to see if anyone had given me a link to info about the BB skirt.   Your FYI on the BB skirt is a link we should add here (you put it in the right place, but I appreciate it when people give me a "heads-up" that I need to add a link to the index)...could you give me a link to that post, please? 

On your review of the Weekender It's a Wrap dress, you can put your review under "Reviews" if you want to post it here at SG.  Just drop a post here that there is a review of it and I'll get it added to the index. (Note that even if you put the review elsewhere on the web, we'd still appreciate a "heads-up" that here's a link that should get added to the index!

Please let me know if you have more questions... :D

Lisa

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2007, 06:54:43 PM »
Liz's link on the Bustle Back skirt and several others have been added to the index post (see the first post on this thread!)  Please post here if there are additional links that should be added to the index!  Thanks!

Lisa

Offline twistedangel

• Twistedangel's Studio
« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2007, 06:58:55 PM »
Hi Lisa!!

I have a new one for you... The Swing Top from the No Sweat Easy Sew ... I put a review on PR it's here nses_pimt review.

My photos are here Photos on twistedangelstudio.com.

;D
Stuff to waste your time...
My workspace: http://www.twistedangelstudio.com
My huge vintage pattern collection: http://www.patternaddiction.com (last upload: 10/01/2006)
Help me pick my next project!! (on hold until I catch up)

Offline cmarie12

• Diary of A Sewing Fanatic
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2007, 12:27:36 AM »
Twisted Angel - that is such a cute top!  Thanks for sharing it!
Carolyn
"I've always maintained that freedom of speech does not mean freedom from responsibility. Choose your words carefully ~ Susan”
My blog:  http://sewingfantaticdiary.blogspot.com/
My Flickr Albums

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2007, 04:20:51 AM »
Hi Lisa!!

I have a new one for you...

Thanks Kristin!  It's added! :D

Lisa

Offline jem

« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2007, 09:04:58 PM »
Ok  I am not sure if this the place to ask this.  But has anyone tried the Renaissance Sweater and if so, what were the results?    Thanks

Offline lessalt

« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2007, 06:22:31 PM »
Lisa, What a good friend to give away that cute top.
Leslie

Offline LizGo

• My sewing pictures
« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2007, 05:03:12 PM »
Has anyone made the WS Maharaja jacket? Or any HP jacket? (Other than the Geisha Girl, which has been discussed lots.)  I'd like to try another HP jacket pattern. I recall when HP patterns first came out  many seemed to have issues with the sleeve drafting in jackets and blouses, but I am under the impression that HP has been steadily working  to fix any earlier drafting problems.

sewandsew

« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2007, 10:56:13 PM »
OMG !!!  I'm a year late, but I just saw your pink/black border print HP SPD--and I'm in love.  :heart: Gorgeous execution, and a brilliant inspiration. Thank you for putting up pics of your fine work. I'm getting revved to begin a project. Your garments are yummy! Kate in Astoria (a newbie)  :)

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics