Author Topic: How To Repaint a Vintage Sewing Machine  (Read 4995 times)

Offline Mark

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
How To Repaint a Vintage Sewing Machine
« on: March 02, 2010, 11:22:16 AM »
I want to learn how to repaint a vintage sewing machine so that it's better than factory tough. I would be very interested in getting any tips or if someone can point me to any sites, books, etc. I've read some on this topic for powder-coating, and electrostatic charged painting techniques, but I'd love to learn any tips that can really make the paint durable against scratches and chips. I want to do some custom painting that's like what the painters do for body painting on custom cars or motorcycles--especially how to make layer the paint so that you see depth of field in the paint.

I want to do that 24K gold foil inlay as well, but certainly need to know how to protect it with a hard clear coating. So I have lots of interest and any advice or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
Re: How To Repaint a Vintage Sewing Machine
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 03:48:10 PM »
Wowza. Your plans sound amazing Mark.

I can't offer any tips, but I hope when you begin this project, you will post its progress here. I can hardly wait.

Kathryn

Offline FrBasil

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 04:05:04 PM »
You'll find the most expertise on this topic among auto customization enthusiasts. (They commonly paint their cars, and use powder-coating on engine parts and wheels.) The environment for a car definitely calls for durability.

I'd love to hear what you find out.

Offline Gigi Louis

• Sewing is my passion!
    • BehindTheSeams.wordpress.com
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 05:19:12 PM »
An auto body shop is your best bet.  They can base coat it and then clear coat it once you apply the decals or decoration.  We have the machines sand-blasted first to remove all of the old paint.  Of course, you'll need to completely strip the machine to get the best result.  You can also just use engine paint at home if you don't want to send the work out.  My old Singer 20U-33 has been painted with red engine paint and it's held up beautifully.  The reason we finally ended up using engine paint is because an oil spot in the bed of the machine kept bleeding through every type of primer and paint. 
Gigi (who's going broke saving money sewing)

http://behindtheseams.wordpress.com

Offline BeeBee

• A Million Litte Threads
    • Pastiche
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 08:29:00 PM »
Sew-Classic's blog http://blog.sew-classic.com/2009/09/02/on-the-sewclassic-workbench-singer-featherweight-221-update-in-red.aspx has a series on repainting vintage machines.  The link is only one page, there were others if you go looking.

Offline theresa in tucson

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 12:10:51 AM »
Mark, I repainted an old range hood from my late father's house that dated back to the late fifties.  I had stripped it down to bare metal and took everything off.  I took it to a paint company in town that specialized in powder coating, spray, etc and had them powder coat it with copper colored paint.  It wasn't cheap, $75 min, but it restored a functioning hood to its former copper glory.  The technician said that even though I had stripped it, they would powerwash it, dip it and prep it to receive the powder coat before the actual application.  As already stated, car/motorcycle enthusiasts would be the best bet since it sounds like you want to do it yourself.  Post some pictures as you go.

Offline themartaman

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 07:46:39 PM »
Powder Coating will be a pain. All holes have to be plugged with silicone plugs, especially if they have threads. Auto paint with hardener and clearcoat. Or lacquer for color and  clearcot with hardener.

Offline themartaman

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »

Offline Mark

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 05:36:56 AM »
An auto body shop is your best bet.  They can base coat it and then clear coat it once you apply the decals or decoration.  We have the machines sand-blasted first to remove all of the old paint.  Of course, you'll need to completely strip the machine to get the best result.  You can also just use engine paint at home if you don't want to send the work out.  My old Singer 20U-33 has been painted with red engine paint and it's held up beautifully.  The reason we finally ended up using engine paint is because an oil spot in the bed of the machine kept bleeding through every type of primer and paint. 

I felt bad about your oil spot bleeding through. If you ever decide to repaint it, I may have a solution for you to try out. but I'll start a new thread because I think others would find this to be an interesting topic and may not find it buried here. It may be able to be cleaned using an electro chemical process known as electrolysis.  Here's the link: http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php/topic,9821.msg166956.html#msg166956

Offline edelweiss

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 01:16:56 AM »
I have been toying with this idea and I would go with the direction at "sew2go" You can google " how to make waterslide decals.
Good luck

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics