Author Topic: Nancy Erickson/FSG Patterns & Newsletter 4  (Read 115669 times)

Offline btriola

Re: Nancy Erickson/FSG Patterns & Newsletter 4
« Reply #210 on: June 19, 2010, 04:13:54 PM »
Well Nancy, after spending all winter making sundresses and golf skirts in FL, I'm more than up for a challenge!  You really know how to get our creative juices flowing. ;)  I'd love to work on a new jacket.  Let me know what you have in mind and we can share our progress with the group.  I'm sure I can think up some fabulous but easy crochet and/or knit trims, inserts or whatever else you can think of.  Bonnie

Offline ejvc

• Machine-Knitting Cryptographer and Plan-Bot
  • Me about age 2
    • The Fabulous Dr E's Fabulous Blog
« Reply #211 on: June 19, 2010, 04:27:41 PM »
Nancy, I think your plans with your mother sound great. Some years ago now I crocheted a trim to go with a jacket made from Claire Shaeffer's Vogue pattern.  I never made the jacket, but I still have the trim, the custom buttons I made, and all the fabric.  It's a loosely-woven silk tweed in black and tan, and the lining is a cherry-red silk.  But I think I decided it didn't suit the pattern properly and that I wouldn't make it for that reason.  And then I have been wearing less black. Still, I really liked the trim.  Crocheting is a great hand technique, I think - I also used to crochet lace with very fine thread... I found the repetitive hooking action very soothing.  And so much faster than knitting!

Elizabeth
My blog is at http://ejvc.wordpress.com

Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden!

Offline joan71

« Reply #212 on: June 19, 2010, 05:51:12 PM »
Count me in to experiment with crochet trim.  I never did practice knitting enough to get an acceptable product, but I believe I could pull off some crochet trim.  Keep this idea going, Nancy....pass along your ideas....I need your creativity to make it happen. :lost:

Offline sewsy

« Reply #213 on: June 19, 2010, 07:33:47 PM »
Well Nancy, after spending all winter making sundresses and golf skirts in FL, I'm more than up for a challenge!  You really know how to get our creative juices flowing. ;)  I'd love to work on a new jacket.  Let me know what you have in mind and we can share our progress with the group.  I'm sure I can think up some fabulous but easy crochet and/or knit trims, inserts or whatever else you can think of.  Bonnie

Hi Bonnie!! If nobody has said so before- welcome to Stitcher's Guild! Now, usually there is some protocol or 'directions for use' info that one of the very wonderful moderators provides. I'm sure that they will be along shortly.  :) I'm so excited to see that you've joined us! Now, Bonnie and Nancy: how about a 1945 Sew-Along featuring hand crocheted or hand knitted trim?!!! The trim details could be directed by you, Bonnie! What do you think?

Again, welcome to SG!  :)

Offline Karendee

« Reply #214 on: June 19, 2010, 07:52:49 PM »
Welcome,Bonnie!!!! We could all benefit from your leadership with crocheted trim for jackets etc.

Karen

Offline patk

« Reply #215 on: June 20, 2010, 04:05:53 AM »
Christine, I'm so sorry about Ziggy and about all the uncertainty at work.  This is definitely not a good time in your life, but there will be better times ahead.  I hope your planned perfect sewing weekend is indeed perfect and provides you with some solace.  Take care.

Offline wendyNM

« Reply #216 on: June 20, 2010, 03:40:53 PM »
I made trim on the serger once. I used a hand dyed varigated pearl cotton and serged it onto strips of sheer tricot knit that used to be available. Then, I sewed it to the edge of a wool Chanel style jacket. I'm not sure if I still have it. I'll look and post a photo if I do.

Wendy in NM

Offline sewsy

« Reply #217 on: June 22, 2010, 12:53:29 PM »

Hi Bonnie!! If nobody has said so before- welcome to Stitcher's Guild! Now, usually there is some protocol or 'directions for use' info that one of the very wonderful moderators provides. I'm sure that they will be along shortly.  :) I'm so excited to see that you've joined us! Now, Bonnie and Nancy: how about a 1945 Sew-Along featuring hand crocheted or hand knitted trim?!!! The trim details could be directed by you, Bonnie! What do you think?

Again, welcome to SG!  :)

I was looking through Nancy's "Jackets" workbook a few minutes ago. If a sewalong isn't feasible at this time, and someone would to try their hand at crochet trim, on pages 152-153 Bonnie gives instructions for crocheting your own trim.

NAYY.  :)

Offline sewfashion

• Fashion Sewing Group
« Reply #218 on: June 24, 2010, 02:36:22 PM »
Chris, so sorry to hear about your dog and work stress.  It's always something lately--the storms through central Illinois have been terrible too, so it's not always easy to stay at the machine all day anyway.  This weekend should be sunny, dry and too hot to be outdoors, so there's a good sewing opportunity.  

Though I'd love to start a jacket something, I'll have to defer to Bonnie if she's up to it...I'll email her and see.  Right now I'm knee deep in prepping for this newsletter and since it mails July 2, I can't commit to anything until the end of July or first of August.  That's one of my favorite times of year to sew anyway.  I have a ton of plans for the September issue and really want to accomplish a lot this year.  In just the last couple of weeks I've made two jackets and a 1960 cardigan, finished a handknit sweater and the July newsletter, so I need a little clean up/sort/down time.  We've done jacket sew-alongs before and now I think we'd be doing great with some crochet trim ideas or embellishment.  Maybe we should focus on that for a bit. Carolyn did that great embellishment with the pearlized disc beads/buttons not long ago, so maybe we should show off some of those things and then print them out for reference.  We could make a trim book of ideas if we all contribute some pictures and how-to.  Joan, you did an attractive cording or stitch detail once as well as have several others of you.  Maybe if we gather all of those in one place and start right after the fourth of July?

Offline sewfashion

• Fashion Sewing Group
« Reply #219 on: June 27, 2010, 10:17:18 PM »
I checked with Bonnie and we'll definitely do some trim ideas after the fourth.  I've a couple of knit things I can contribute and Bonnie will tackle the crochet.  I'll offer some technique and design ideas for incorporating the trims.  I picked up a book at Barnes and Noble this weekend called Reverse Knitting but it features some ways to knit a crochet look.  I'm going to give those a try to see if my clumsy crochet can be finessed by knitting.  No promises, but I'll give it a try.

If you're at a news stand this month, the July Vogue has a feature called, Black, white and red...hmmmmmm, sound familiar?  I was pleased to read that since I felt that coming after seeing the fall shows and used it as my cover title in May.  I'm always pleased that I can be on the same wavelength as the big fashion gurus and am offering more in that color palette in my July issue to further what we started in May. 

Also, I made arrangements with Marfy that when I sell out of my multiple carton pre-orders, I can order individual catalogues for others now.  They will cost more of course since they'll be sent directly from Italy, but at least they can be ordered easily domestically.  I just had some sent to Canada so they can be included easily as well.

Offline CCO

« Reply #220 on: July 02, 2010, 08:16:36 PM »
There was a surprise in my mailbox yesterday--the newsletter!  I love this issue.  It has great reader tips on sewing and non-sewing topics. Q and A on various topics, how to stay modern and a new take on the 1945 jacket!  The fabric offerings range from transitional pieces to some really solid basics. 

You will enjoy this issue! 

Offline Nyla 49

• Captain Clyde, the love of my life, and me
« Reply #221 on: July 02, 2010, 11:51:44 PM »
I had two surprises in my mailbox today:  the newsletter and the latest issue of Threads.   Perfect, since I had right shoulder surgery on Tuesday and can do almost nothing.   I have the laptop, the remote, reading material and pain pills.
Nyla at the Flying ~H~

Offline SewingLibrarian

« Reply #222 on: July 03, 2010, 05:52:24 AM »
Me, too! Threads and the new newsletter. Happy to see them for the long holiday weekend.  :D

Offline wendyNM

« Reply #223 on: July 03, 2010, 03:11:25 PM »
My mail yesterday was almost as good. I got Threads and Australian Smocking. It's good to know that Nancy's newsletter will be arriving soon.

Wendy in NM

Offline NancyDaQ

• SewWest
« Reply #224 on: July 03, 2010, 08:01:16 PM »
Wendy, mine was in the held mail when I picked it up today. I think we get our deliveries a little sooner in Albuquerque than you do, so my guess is Tuesday. I haven't opened mine yet, hopefully I'll have a chance when we finish unpacking and get settled.

Offline NancyQW

• Encue Creations
    • Encue Creations
« Reply #225 on: July 03, 2010, 08:27:52 PM »
Nyla, sorry to hear about your shoulder.  I'm having knee surgery on Wed, so I'll be doing the same thing!

Offline Carolyn

• Carolyn's Sewing Room
« Reply #226 on: July 04, 2010, 01:56:10 AM »
Congratulations, Marciae on a great article!  Job well done, and as always, you look fabulous in your pants.

You are truly an inspiration.
Carolyn

"If God had intended for us to stay one waist size, he wouldn't have invented elastic"...  Christee Gabour Atwood

Blog:  http://carolynobryan.blogspot.com/

Offline Nyla 49

• Captain Clyde, the love of my life, and me
« Reply #227 on: July 04, 2010, 03:14:38 AM »
Nyla, sorry to hear about your shoulder.  I'm having knee surgery on Wed, so I'll be doing the same thing!

I know so many women who are having knee, hip, shoulder issues!    But I will have to say that this surgery has been easily 50% easier to handle that the one I had done 11 years ago.   I think technology and better pain  management has a lot to do with it.   Good luck on your procedure.
Nyla at the Flying ~H~

Offline joan71

« Reply #228 on: July 04, 2010, 05:17:05 AM »
Waaaaa :'( still no newsletter Sat...and holiday Mon. with no mail delivery. 

Offline NancyQW

• Encue Creations
    • Encue Creations
« Reply #229 on: July 04, 2010, 04:18:10 PM »
I feel your pain!  I'm always one of the last ones to receive mine as well.  I'll have plenty of time to peruse it after Wednesday  :)

Offline Christine C.

« Reply #230 on: July 05, 2010, 12:38:54 AM »
 :pinkpom:
Happy 4th everyone! So much for getting a lot of sewing done this weekend.  However, I did get to spend most of Friday night with the newsletter. Love those elastic waistband jeans! Don't know if I'll get to those soon but I do like them.
Nancy I'll be thinking about you this week. I've had frozen shoulder twice.  The first time in my right shoulder. The next year in my left shoulder.  At some points in my recovery the pain was terrible but I luckily avoided surgery. I kept plugging away at the physical therapy. They think I'm allergic to a preservative in the flu vaccine that's why I got it two years in a row.  Haven't had a flu shot in several years even though I work in a hospital.
Nyla let's hear it for a better focus on pain management.
Christine

Offline patk

« Reply #231 on: July 06, 2010, 02:15:27 AM »
No newsletter yet, but things take a while to arrive after a holiday.  Had a look at the colour photo section on the web site and loved the cable knit cardigan.  I hope there's some of the black left by the time I get the newsletter!

Offline Tricia

« Reply #232 on: July 06, 2010, 11:20:29 PM »
Getting caught up on the posts at the last page. This past year I've not been here  much and really miss it. The comming year will be better. I did a lot of traveling, enjoyed all, but I was so far behind and really exhausted9 not as young as I used to be) I would like to do some crocheted trim also. I bought fabric whenI was in New York the end of May to make a Chanel style jacket with the lining quilted to the front. I know there will be lots of ideas here. I bought a book a year ago (haven't used it yet) '150 Crochet Trims' by Susan Smith, it has some neat ideas. Nancy the sketch book is a great idea. I have one I've sketched ideas in but having instructions, etc. also is great. One of those duh moments, I went and got mine out also gathered put picttures I've taken of ideas and will have them in a envelope in the book, thanks for the idea. Tricia

Offline joan71

« Reply #233 on: July 07, 2010, 02:33:59 AM »
Received the newsletter today and will enjoy it tonight.  I flipped the pages quickly and  will be anxious to read the "How Can You Stay Modern?" article.  Seems like I am forever a little late to the party. :-\

Offline btriola

« Reply #234 on: July 07, 2010, 07:14:21 PM »
 My background is in machine knitting and I often used crochet to finish my garments.  this trim will be sewn on but we'll also do some that can be crocheted right onto the edge of your fabric garment. 

Row 1: With main color chain desired length .  (to try a sample simply chain 20).  Work 1 single crochet (SC) in 2nd chain (CH) from hook and in each CH across.  Drop MC  and change to contrast color (CC), CH 1 and turn.
Row 2:  *Skip 1 stitch (ST), 1 SC in next ST (draw up a long loop when you do the SC). go back into the skipped stitch and work 1 double crochet (DC)*.  Repeat from * to * Drop CC.  change to MC. CH 1 and turn.
Row 3:  Skip 1 ST.  With MC, work row 2.

Have fun, Bonnie

Offline btriola

« Reply #235 on: July 07, 2010, 07:15:10 PM »
Here's the other side of the trim, Bonnie

Offline btriola

« Reply #236 on: July 07, 2010, 07:19:21 PM »
Somehow this got omitted from my first post.  I used 2 strands of a fingering weight cotton (or try a 4 ply) for the hot pink and 1 strand of a rayon ribbon , just over 1/4 inch wide for the white.  These colors were used only because they would show up well in a photo.  I used a size J crochet hook.  It reality I've done this using a few strands of a merino wool in charcoal where the hot pink is seen and a slivery metallic ribbon in place of the white.  Bonnie

Offline joan71

« Reply #237 on: July 07, 2010, 07:43:37 PM »
Thanks, Bonniie....I'm going to try it after my house guests leave in a couple of days.  The trim from your photo would be treated like a braid, right?  I was fooling around the other night and was  trying to get a loopy look to extend beyond the garment edge.  I was working with some acrylic worsted that I had on hand, but it defiinitely would require much lighter wgt.  I am a novice at this, but really would like to see more ideas from you to try.

Offline btriola

« Reply #238 on: July 07, 2010, 07:55:23 PM »
Oh, you were reading my mind Joan.  I just finished 2 trims that will extend off the edge.  I just need to experiment a bit more on attaching them.  So they'll be ready sometimes next week.  Acrylics, unless they are a hard crepe twist yarn will be too soft for most trims. I have access to umpteen types of machine knitting yarn  from when I had my cone yarn business so I'm used to many of the crepe twist wools and hard finished acrylics that I used for dresses and suits. These yarns almost feel like a fabric when knit on the knitting machine.   Actually the hand knitting thing is new to me since I retired.  And yes the trim posted will be treated like a braid and hand sewn on. Bonnie

Offline MelissaL88

« Reply #239 on: July 08, 2010, 01:42:57 PM »
Bonnie, thank you for the crochet directions. I think I'll have some time this weekend to sit down and experiment.

Now knitting...I'm just a klutz. I have never been able to get the hang of that  :o

Offline sewfashion

• Fashion Sewing Group
« Reply #240 on: July 08, 2010, 03:24:23 PM »
Many thanks to Bonnie for working on this for us.  She won't tell you, but I can.  She is THE guru of machine knitting even though she's recently retired.  If you are a part of that machine knitting world or if you read some of the knitting magazines, you may be familiar with her name.  Some of you may have met her at a Chicago event when she taught the method that's in my Jackets Workbook.  She is a genius at this stuff and she bought her first Chanel jacket with a fabulous crocheted trim at the sewing week she took from me the year before.

If you haven't as yet, you should go to the Chanel website and look at the Paris-Shanghai videos and the couture collection just shown.  Then also when you get to the website, choose Chanel News, then videos and you should be able to navigate to a good look at http://www.chanel-news.com/en/category/video/  July 2nd, #3 from the ateliers is the most interesting if you didn't take a look at these last winter when I first posted about them.  You can see the trim similar to what Bonnie did here as they're working on it.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 03:41:11 PM by sewfashion »

Offline sewfashion

• Fashion Sewing Group
« Reply #241 on: July 08, 2010, 03:25:55 PM »
 This is a jacket I did last winter for this spring with a trim that extends over the edge.  I did it with some grosgrain ribbon and an organza ribbon from a yarn shop.  You simply lay the trim on top of a grosgrain ribbon and zigzag across the string holding it in place.  It helped to lay the ball of yarn in my lap and then used a tweezer to pick up the organza "tags" and lay them next to each other.  It took a little time, but was easier than I had anticipated.  You can find all kinds of shaggy embellishment yarns at yarn stores nowadays.  The grosgrain then becomes the seam allowance extension to insert between your front and facing.  I find that the trims with some body, organza, tulle, or crisp ribbon hold up better and stay extended.  The machine stitch I used was not a zigzag exactly, but rather the sewn out zigzag that straight stitches in a zigzag pattern.  You want to be sure to catch the string of the yarn.

I'll post another couple of trim options tomorrow for those of you that are knitting savvy but crochet challenged as I am.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 03:35:43 PM by sewfashion »

Offline CCO

« Reply #242 on: July 09, 2010, 12:52:45 AM »
Got a nice sweet package in the mail today with my fabric order. I got the stretch denim and the black knit. The knit is too die for.  Really luxurious.   

Offline MaryAnn

« Reply #243 on: July 09, 2010, 01:40:53 AM »
Got a nice sweet package in the mail today with my fabric order.    
I'm more than a little jealous of your already receiving your order; I just received my newsletter!! It looks like a very good read. Love the trim ideas that Nancy and Bonnie posted. Gonna have to try them.

Offline btriola

« Reply #244 on: July 09, 2010, 07:05:24 PM »
Here's photos of my Chanel jacket and close up of the trim.  I was able to decipher the trim instructions by unraveling a bit of the extra trim that Chanel gives you when you purchase a garment.  Many of the jackets have multiple part trims like this one.  The instructions for it are in Nancy's Jacket Book on page 152 and 153.  This trim is made from threads pulled from the jacket fabric and a bit or "spark" is added by the inclusion of a strand of lurex (a thin metallic thread).  The lurex is not in the weave of the garment fabric, just in the trim.  Result is a jacket that is suitable for daywear but with that additional touch.  This jacket is lined to the edge and the fabric, a blend of just about everything, is suitable for almost year round wear.  Don't be afraid to add that odd element to your trim.  Notice how the touch of whimsy from the yarn that Nancy added to the trim on her jacket took the jacket from the traditional houndstooth to something with more fashion, excitement and interest. Bonnie

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics