Author Topic: Dyeing fabric  (Read 1922 times)

Offline Debbie S

• Subscribed Member
Dyeing fabric
« on: September 09, 2017, 02:15:42 PM »
Considering buying a lovely Linen/Cotton/Lycra woven fabric that is white. Can I successfully dye fabric that contains Lycra?  I know the linen and cotton will take the dye, but not sure how the Lycra will react. TIA

Offline andib

• O/T Politics
Re: Dyeing fabric
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 08:25:09 PM »
Usually I get a more "pastel" shade when dying lycra fabrics.  I have been ocassionally surprised to get deep saturated color. What dye are you using?

Offline Melinda_B

• Subscribed Member
    • Better Than I Planned
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 07:19:29 AM »
I know when I've dyed fabrics with procion dyes (I really dislike Rit and iDye, I've never had good results with them) fabrics with lycra have come out quite well.  You may need to use a little more dye than you would for a fabric with no lycra.
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

Offline Debbie S

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 12:40:21 PM »
Andib, my only experience was years ago with Rit, and it was a mess!  Fabric ended up with blotchy coloring and unusable, so I am open to guidance!

The fabric is a very nice quality and I would like to make a jacket, but a white jacket may need to be washed after every wearing, so that's why I am considering dyeing it.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 12:44:20 PM by Debbie S »

Offline mcgintie

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 01:15:09 PM »
 My suggestion- request a sample square, then pour boiling hot coffee or tea over it. This will colour the natural fibres leaving lycra, and any other synthetics much paler. This will show you how patchy any bigger piece dyeing will turn out.

Offline Debbie S

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 02:43:51 PM »
Thank you, mcgintie!  I will!

Offline Saashka

• Subscribed Member
  • sewing in southern Maryland
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 09:36:50 PM »
I have used Rit, the kind in a bottle, and it worked beautifully. I used it first on a cotton/nylon/lycra sweater and the hot water killed the stretch, and then on a 100% cotton sweater which wasn't harmed by the process. The color is beautiful, no streaks, richly saturated. I used salt in the dye bath as the instructions on the website say, and then the dye fixative afterwards.

Offline sdBev

• Subscribed Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 11:34:16 PM »
... I used salt in the dye bath as the instructions on the website say, and then the dye fixative afterwards.
Hmmm, cant brag anout my results with Rit but then I did not do either of these two suggestions.   Must make note and try again.
sdBev

Offline Elephun

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2017, 11:40:47 PM »
25+ years ago, I used Rit bottle dye on white thick footless tights. I don't know what they were made of as there was no tag by the time I decided to dye them. I am sure they were Nylon, Spandex and by the feel, some other fibers.

I have used salt with Rit dye a couple of times, but most times I have not. I can't remember whether I used salt or not for this particular dye job.

At any rate, the white tights took the black dye evenly, but it was muted. The final result was a really nice gray color.

Offline Pipsy

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 10:24:27 PM »
Hoping someone can suggest.  I have a lovely fine knit linen sweater. I ordered it on line. It is a  kacky / beige colour. A colour I would never wear and have nothing the wear it with. I was hoping it would be the taupe it was advertised.  I first thought to tone down the beige with black to make it greyer then thought a pinkish dye would help.  I haven't tried any yet but do have a bottle of black Rit dye and bottle of petal pink Rit dye.  I am not a fan of Rit but have had a few successes. I usually dye in a washing machine but am now living in a shared laundry room building worried someone will complain.  I have NEVER had residual dye in a machine when run through with hot water bleach cycle. I may have to sneak down at midnight with a good book and flashlight!  I simply have too small a kitchen and no big pot to try in my place.

So ...... What do you suggest regarding the dye colour mix and amounts?  I don't have any scrap knit to try it out on and I don't even know if the linen will dye over.  I did try a little black dye before I moved but no change.....probably not enough dye and too much water. I don't, fortunately, have a fixed colour in mind, I simply want the beige to be less yellow/brownish. 

Offline sewsy

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 11:34:29 AM »
Does anyone know if faux suede can be dyed? TIA.

Offline MaryV

• O/T Politics
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2017, 12:32:44 PM »
Sewsy - re dyeing faux suede:  I think you would have to use a special dye for synthetics.  This might be available at Dharma.com - check the website and call them, they are very helpful.  I have never tried dyeing synthetics.

Pipsy - linen does dye beautifully using MX dyes - I've never tried rit.  As above, check Dharma.com for MX dyes. 

No affiliation - but I do like their products.

MaryV

Offline sewsy

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2017, 09:25:36 PM »
Thank you Mary. I'll give Dharma a look see.

Offline Katherine

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2017, 09:42:47 PM »
Pro Chemical & Dye is another good source for fiber reactive dyes or any other type of dye.  Dharma is in CA & Pro Chem is in MA.  I order from Pro Chem most of the time because I get things faster.  They both ship quickly.

Dick Blick sells small jars of Jacquard fiber reactive dyes if you have a local store.

I've used all of the above sources, & they're all good.  If you need technical help, Dharma or Pro Chem would be better.

Offline sewsy

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2017, 09:59:38 PM »
Thanks Katherine. I'll check these out. There's a Dick Blick in a neighboring town, I didn't know that they carried fabric dye.

eta. Katherine, I went on Dick Blick's site and found a poly dye in the color I need. I'll be visiting the store in awhile, will let you know how the job turns out. Thanks again!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 10:09:13 PM by sewsy »

Offline Katherine

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2017, 07:50:50 PM »
If I'm making a special trip to Dick Blick I call the store first.  I know they sell the fiber reactive dyes in the store.  I'm not sure about poly dyes.

Offline sewsy

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2017, 12:29:43 PM »
If I'm making a special trip to Dick Blick I call the store first.  I know they sell the fiber reactive dyes in the store.  I'm not sure about poly dyes.

I call ahead as a matter of course, Katherine. Saves time and gas. Thanks!

Offline sewsy

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2017, 12:15:26 AM »
Katherine, Dick Blick didn't carry dye for polyester fabrics, but surprisingly the local JA's did! So, I've got the dye in the color I need, and was able to use coupons, to boot. Thanks again.

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2017, 01:10:20 PM »
Sewsy, let us know how it turns out. I have a piece of lace that I think has a synthetic component to it that I've been wanting to dye for a very long time.

Kathryn
My blog: I Made This! at http://imadethis-asewingblog.blogspot.com/
Flickr Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72428033@N00/albums

2018 Dress a Month count:

Offline sewsy

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2017, 01:54:18 PM »
Will do Kate! The fabric has a test it has to go through first. It's a very lightweight faux suede, and I need to beef it up a bit by using an interfacing as a stiffener. I'm going to take a chance and see if one of two samples of Pellon interfacing will work. If not, either I'll get some interfacing from Pam Erny or abandon the project and get a length of upholstery faux suede from a vendor on ebay.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 01:58:34 PM by sewsy »

Offline sewsy

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2018, 07:04:38 PM »
I'd decided to look for (and purchased) a length of light pink sateen fabric for a trench coat for my youngest daughter. When I told her about it (the color), her reaction was less than enthusiastic. So, I've been rethinking the fabric choice, and have decided that perhaps I'd do better by getting a lavender (a color I know she'll like) cotton and make the coat with that.

I happen to have about five yards of white cotton twill (that I'd planned on using for myself) in the Emporium, but now I'm circling around the idea of dyeing it lavender. That I know of, there isn't a "lavender" dye, only purple from what I've seen, so I went on the the Rit website to see if perhaps there is one.

To my surprise, I found that there are a plethora of colors AND dye formulas for different colors! I realize that Rit dye may not be the best on the market (according to some), but I've really only ever used it, and the results were pretty good, from what I could tell. Of course, I don't have anything to compare it to, since I've not used any other brand.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, here's the link to the Rit website. https://www.ritdye.com/   It was kinda fun to choose the color(s) and see which dye formulas turned up. They have you choose which type of dye (natural or synthetic) and what will be dyed. There isn't a choice for lengths of fabrics per se, so I just picked "curtains", as that seemed to be the closest to lengths of fabric, and then selected the color I wanted. Surprisingly, pink, denim blue and black was the formula that was shown...in varying small amounts.

I'm still not sure if I'll just go ahead with the pink fabric or try my hand at dyeing the white. I think that what I'll do (since I'm STILL...ahem...working on her other...now officially ufo's...garments  ;D) is wait for the fabric to arrive, and then decide.

They even have a tutorial about how to mix colors: https://www.ritdye.com/instructions/how-to-mix-colors/
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 07:06:29 PM by sewsy »

Offline bessiecrocker

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2018, 09:40:33 AM »
another concept to think about. you can overdye the pink fabric (with a blue, or with a purply color) and get a lavender. you'd just need to test things a bit til you get the right combo to get a color you like. This is a good idea if you think you won't use the pink for something else, or if you really like the texture and characteristics of the pink fabric, just not the current color. 

Offline sewsy

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2018, 12:07:30 AM »
another concept to think about. you can overdye the pink fabric (with a blue, or with a purply color) and get a lavender. you'd just need to test things a bit til you get the right combo to get a color you like. This is a good idea if you think you won't use the pink for something else, or if you really like the texture and characteristics of the pink fabric, just not the current color. 

What a great idea! It never occurred to me to do that! Thanks bessie!