Author Topic: Quilts in the Making II  (Read 22555 times)

Offline Doris W. in TN

Re: Quilts in the Making II
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2010, 01:12:04 AM »

The name of the quilt is Fire and Ice. It was a kit from Keepsake but I changed some of the colors.

.....Used that little thing that they put in hotel doors for security and that helped a lot, too.

Wow, great looking quilt Nancy!     They look like dancing stars to me.       The peephole thingy (lol) is a new one on me, for block placement.   Such a good idea!. I usually look thru a camera lens backwards, or binoculars backwards.   Same difference, and they're larger and easier to find.    ;)
iPad's auto-correct is my enema.

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2010, 02:36:51 PM »
Here is a photo of the latest quilt I've finished.  Kassidy's Quilt  This was for my sister's granddaughter's 4th birthday.  I gave it to her a little late, actually on her cousin's 1st birthday, but she didn't seem to care.  She was just happy that it was covered with flowers on the back and the front.

It's also the first quilt I machine quilted on my little quilting frame.  It wasn't bad, but I do hope practice makes perfect!
Laurie H

http://my.inbox.com/photos/missjean/index.aspx   password is 'photos'

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2010, 03:22:29 PM »
That's a perfect quilt for a little girl, Laurie. You did such a nice job on it! I like the colors and the print that you chose for it. Is the back made from the same daisy print as shown in squares on the front?

Is it hard to give something like that, with so many hours in it, away?

Kathryn

Offline N. Jarrett

« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2010, 04:10:00 PM »
Very pretty quilt, Laurie,
What kind of little quilting frame?  did a great job.
Nancy

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2010, 05:56:22 PM »
Kathryn, when I started making that quilt, I had Kassidy in mind.  I first found the pattern and knew it would be perfect for her.  I already had the fabric, it was all in the same line and she had told me she wanted flowers.  So I made it knowing it was going to her and and even when I bought the fabric, I bought it intending to make a quilt for someone else.  It was easy giving it away. 

To be honest, I'm not crazy about that quilt.  Too much peach and it's a bit too busy for me.  I wouldn't pull it out and use it much if I kept it, so it's better going to someone who will use it.  The backing is alternating strips of the blue and yellow broken up with strips of daisies.  Again, in the same line.  Kassidy does love it because it has so many flowers and although she's changed her mind about her favorite color, she still really liked it.

Nancy, I have the Little Gracie quilting frame and a Janome 1600DP machine on it.  It's a small frame and I'm limited in what I can do with it, but I think I'll be happy with it considering my space restrictions and the fact that I simply do not have the money for anything larger.  Besides, I found the frame on Craig's list for $200 and I got a fantastic deal on the machine as well.  I spent less on the two together than I would have spent on a new Gracie frame.  I'm just happy I could get something at all.
Laurie H

Offline elenora

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2010, 05:05:57 AM »
Hi everyone, Haven't been here for a long while because of health issues, but I'm adjusting to my limitations ( lower back and eye sight) and I still love to do my quilting!  I just pace my time at the machine accordingly. This week I am working on a pink and white quilt, in a small floral and coordinating lattice print fabric. It's going to be a smaller size quilt so possibly for a baby gift or lap quilt. The colors of this quilt appeal to me, very soft and feminine and I'm really enjoying working with these colors. I don't know if this happens to anyone else but sometimes as I'm working on a quilt it has a way of becoming dedicated to someone, either because it seems to be a quilt I think they would like to receive, or it coincides with an event that requires a quilt!

Sounds like everyone has their quilts coming together beautifully. :)

elenora

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2010, 11:52:44 AM »
Elenora, I usually know ahead of time who the quilt is going to be for.  I have a large extended family and now that we have so many nieces and nephews who are getting married and having babies and the babies are growing and getting bigger beds, I always seem to have someone who needs a new quilt.  I'm usually planning my quilts around the colors or likes of the people who are getting the quilts. 

If I don't know ahead of time who is getting the quilt, then I just plan the best colors/fabrics for that pattern.  They might not be my favorite colors, but if I see some fabrics I just love and how they look together, I might then find a pattern for them so they will look even better.  Every so often, I actually make a quilt with fabrics that really are my favorites and I know I will be keeping the quilt and it's all for me or us.  Doesn't happen often, though. 
Laurie H

Offline BeeBee

• A Million Litte Threads
    • Pastiche
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2010, 09:53:58 PM »
It's been a long time coming, but I finally finished my french braid quilt I named "Aruba Waves".  There are more pics and info on by blog.  (shameless plug for my blog, too.  feel free to leave a comment ;)_

Offline shams

• Communing With Fabric
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2010, 10:21:17 PM »
Really pretty, BeeBee.  Love those colors!

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2010, 11:56:49 AM »
BeeBee, I really like that.  So pretty.  I've never tried a french braid pattern, but I've thought it might be fun to try.  Yours looks so cool and I mean that in more than one way.  It's cool as in refreshing, if that makes sense. 
Laurie H

Offline Terri B

« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2010, 06:59:19 AM »
Nice job BeeBee!  Those are my colors.  Perfect name for it too!  :)

Well, ladies :drum: drumroll please......I am sewing the binding down on the Mom's Irish Chain!  I'm 3/4 of the way around the 96X111 inch monster.  My longarm quilter did a fabulous job as always.  Mom will be up for Christmas so I'll give it to her then.  I'm so happy to have this one almost done.   ;D

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2010, 01:03:57 PM »
Good for you!  You know it's one of my favorite patterns!  I did one for my own mom.  She has since made herself a quilt, so she doesn't use it, but I did make her one.  When will you post a photo?
Laurie H

Offline Terri B

« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2010, 08:38:34 PM »
Laurie, I hope to have the binding finished this weekend sometime.  If the weather cooperates I'll hang it up outside and take a picture.   :)

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2010, 01:00:38 PM »
Can't wait to see it!
Laurie H

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2010, 04:49:55 PM »
Me either, TerriB!

BeeBee where is your link to your 'blog? You used to have it in your signature line. I'd love to read more about your quilt. I love everything about it--the colors are fantastic and the design is really kewl.

Kathryn

Offline BeeBee

• Pastiche
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2010, 07:18:23 PM »
Me either, TerriB!

BeeBee where is your link to your 'blog? You used to have it in your signature line. I'd love to read more about your quilt. I love everything about it--the colors are fantastic and the design is really kewl.

Kathryn
I didn't know it had dissamapeered (to quote Homer Simpson).  I think it's back now.  Look on the side bar for "quilts" to speed up your searching once on the page.  
The quilt was done from a jelly roll knock off I bought at JA's just because I loved the colors, too.  I'm a sucker for pretty colors all rolled up together.  ;D Then I didn't know what to do with the pieces (not the first time that's happened, I assure you  ::)) so I just started looking around for things to do with strips that didn't take a boat load of cutting.  And the French Braid kept popping up.  I took the strips I had and cut them down as the pattern suggested (found it on the 'net - it was free.  Google French Braid quilts) and then just started piecing.  I think I did some math so I would make the right number of strips per piece.  I divided my strips between 2 colors:  Blues and everything else.  And then pieced at random with the blues on one side and the everything else on the other side (for the "wave" affect).  I put the strips in 2 bags & pulled them out randomly and pieced the number for each section (3 sections) and then trimmed to make it rectangular.  Of course that was too small so I trotted off to Hancock's and found the edging & back fabrics - got very lucky there with the fabric I found.  And, believe it or not, I owned the binding fabric that I'd purchased for another use.  I'd wanted to piece the binding (yes, like you did - I'm such a copy-cat) but didn't have enough pieces left.  I used almost every scrap.  And free-motion quilted it - only 2nd FM project ever and the first was just placemats.  Oh, and the gecko - when I first posted the pic and called it Aruba Waves, karent said it did remind her of Aruba but was missing the gecko.  So I laid it aside for quite a while (and a move and family disaster along the way) until I remember I HAD the gecko - on the t-shirt I bought in ....wait for it.... ARUBA!
Hmmm, now that I've written all that perhaps I should put that in my blog?  Alway looking for material - um, fodder. Check back later (can't blog post from my work computer - nasty cyber-police).  
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 07:54:18 PM by BeeBee »

Offline SEWCOOKIE

• ONE STICH WONDER
  • New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2010, 07:37:13 PM »
Recently I lost my sewing room to my daughter who moved back home. I now have yards of fabric without a home. To use up some fabric I was thinking about making aprons and giving them as Christmas gifts. I am a die hard hand quilter and this move is killing me. Other than a button there in no hand sewing to be done on an apron. Does anyone have any suggestions to help ease my pain?
SEWCOOKIE

Offline BeeBee

• Pastiche
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2010, 07:53:11 PM »
Move your car outside, your daughter to the garage and start sewing again. >:D
On a more serious note, there's a thread floating around about setting up your sewing area in a very small space.  Could you carve out a corner of a den, laundry area or guest room?  There are, of course, other hand crafts, but they won't use up your quilting stash.

Offline Terri B

« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2010, 10:02:11 PM »
Cookie, hand applique doesn't take any space at all and is very good at traveling.   :)

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2010, 12:14:24 PM »
That's a good idea...applique on an apron.  You could go crazy with all the stuff you could add to an apron to really make it personal for each recipient.  Aprons could use a pocket and although I prefer sewing a pocket by machine, if you really want something to do by hand, sew the pocket by hand!   :D
Laurie H

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2010, 12:53:13 PM »
Here's a photo of my latest quilt.  I made it for my niece's next baby.  She's due at the beginning of February.  Yes, the baby is a girl.

Baby girl quilt
Laurie H

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2010, 01:48:13 PM »
Laurie, can you post a photo here? The link you provided requires me to sign up for Windows Live before seeing the photo. I'm eager to see your latest creation!

Kathryn

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2010, 08:00:44 PM »
Sorry Kathryn.  Was trying to post from a different place and didn't realize it wouldn't work.  Here it is....

« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 12:42:39 PM by Laurie H »
Laurie H

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2010, 10:29:25 PM »
Laurie, it's still not working.  I'm trying to see what the problem is w/ photos posted at Windows Live, and will let you know what I find out.  If you discover the fix, let us know!

Lisa
Found: a favorite silver bracelet that I hadn't seen for a while.  On its four quarters it says "Welcome Introspection; Accept Wisdom; Seek Illumination; Embrace Innocence."   It's like a "magic 8-ball" on the wrist...

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2010, 12:37:54 PM »
You can't see it?  When I come here, I can see the picture come up.  You can't?  I'll have to do something different, maybe when I get home.  It's on my machine at home, so I can upload it to my regular album, then I can post it here.  It will work then.  Sorry about that.  Guess I can't use the other album.
Laurie H

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2010, 12:43:17 PM »
I might have fixed it.  I can see it, but that doesn't mean anything.  I hope you can all see it now. 
Laurie H

Offline LynnH

• Me at 10
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2010, 12:50:23 PM »
Laurie - the photo shows.  I love the colors you have in the quilt.
Lynn

Offline BetsyV

• Trillium Undulatum; Painted Trillium
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2010, 01:15:40 PM »
Very very pretty, Laurie!

Offline Yvonne samas

• Yvonne S
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2010, 07:12:25 PM »
Lovely quilt Laurie--- some of my favourite colours.

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2010, 07:49:47 PM »
Thanks.  My niece always liked purple when she was little, so I thought it was appropriate.  She has a little boy and this baby is a girl.  I figured she'd want something more feminine, but not pink.  My niece has never been a girly girl, she's always been more like my own DD, a bit of a tom boy who likes purple, not pink.
Laurie H

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2010, 01:14:39 AM »
Laurie, your quilt is so nice! I especially like the purple binding, which seems to encapsulate the quilt so well. It's an interesting design--did you devise it yourself or did you use a pattern? As always, your points are all so perfect.

What color is the backing?

Kathryn

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2010, 01:02:28 PM »
No, I didn't think of that one, Kathryn.  It's a pattern I got from the April 2010 issue of Quilter's World.  I subscribe to the electronic version of the magazine and when I saw that pattern, I just knew I had to have that pattern for a different niece who had a baby in August.  Then when I found out my sister's youngest was having a girl in February (February's birthstone is amethyst, thus purple) and this niece always loved purple AND is had all this fabric in my stash, the quilt just had to be.  I used the floral fabric for the back since I had a lot of it, more than I had of any of the rest. 

The pattern is called Dino Baby, as the original was made using dinosaur fabric.  All those purple points are pretty easy to be made perfect because they are prairie points.  They'll give the baby something to play with.  They look flat and so perfectly pointed, but they are actually just sewn into the seam on the rough edge and folded parts are "loose".  Gives it such a neat look.

If you ever feel the need to subscribe to a quilting magazine, I think Quilter's World is a neat one and I prefer the electronic version to the paper one, because I don't want the clutter of paper ones anymore.  When I get the newest one, I can easily save any individual pattern I like or print it out or both.  I can also save or print out the entire issue.  I can also go back in the archives and check out the past 2 years.  In fact, I need to do that a bit more.

I suppose this can be done with most of the other quilting magazines that offer electronic versions of their magazines as well, but QW is the only one I subscribe to right now as they seemed to have the patterns I liked the most.  The others were just rehashing the same old patterns or the fabrics they were using were so bad that it was hard to see past them to the actual pattern.  It's one of the reasons I stopped buying McCall's.  I really disliked the fabrics, even though the patterns were good, then they just started using the same basic patterns with a very variations.

Okay, that's enough of that and a lot more than you wanted to know.  It's a super easy pattern and goes up in no time at all.  Only 4 fabrics are needed and honestly, it's one of the fastest baby quilts I've ever made and I've made it twice now and each time it went together so perfectly, yet looks harder than it is.
Laurie H

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2011, 05:01:03 PM »
Laurie, thanks for the info about getting Quilter's World electronically. That makes such good sense. I'm going to explore that option, now that I am getting more interested in quilting. It's always fun to learn something new, even if the king-sized quilt I'm working on now may take the rest of my life to finish. ;D

Kathryn

ETA: when you save a pattern from the electronic subscription, do you download the entire issue as a .pdf and then save a portion of it? I just joined and am a bit confused as to the logistics of using the Quilter's World electronic issue features. Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 06:35:23 PM by fzxdoc »

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2011, 01:38:12 PM »
Kathryn, when you are notified about each issue, you can save and/or print each individual pattern as you like.  You would select the print option first, but if you don't want to print, cancel when the print window comes up, then in the PDF window, just select save.  You might have to change the name of the pattern as it sometimes has a strange name.  You can also print it out and put it in a protective sleeve and then put the whole thing in a binder if you think you're going to be using it soon.

If you find that you really like a past issue, that's a bit harder and it appears that the easiest way is to simply save an entire issue.  I've tried selecting just one pattern here and there, but it's not as easy.  Therefore, I try hard to remember to save the current patterns I like as soon as the newest issue comes out.  I don't want them all as they don't interest me, but so many of them do.  Of course, if you do think you'll want to go back and look through it again later, then do save the entire issue. 

Yesterday, my sister decided to have a shower lunch at a local restaurant for her younger daughter instead of a regular shower since this is her DD's second baby.  She knew not everyone wanted to bother getting gifts for the second baby...yes, she had actually heard that from some...so just a few of us got together for this.  Anyway, I gave her a quilt I made as soon as I heard she was having a girl.  I used lots of purple because the baby is due in February and because my niece loved purple when she was little girl.  She loved it, but then, she always loves everything I make.  No surprise there!
Laurie H

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2011, 01:57:02 PM »
What a wonderful feeling it must have been Laurie, to see the deep appreciation on your niece's face when she saw that quilt. What a treasure it will be for her and her baby. Your gift certainly must have made that baby shower something really special. I can almost hear the "ooohs and ahhhs" from here!

The purple in that quilt is what caught my eye as well when you posted the photo here. The quilt looks so fresh and oh so girlie-girl. Plus I remember back in the day when my DD as a small child refused to wear anything except purple. I think you chose wisely with that color.

Did you make a quilt for her first baby as well, before s/he was born?

Thanks for the information about the Quilter's World electronic subscription. I'm going to play with it a bit more today. I didn't realize that you had to download them to print out various patterns. No wonder I couldn't find a Print button online. :)

Kathryn

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics