Author Topic: Quilts in the Making II  (Read 22387 times)

Offline Terri B

Re: Quilts in the Making II
« Reply #140 on: February 08, 2012, 08:54:00 PM »
Oh that's so cute!  Nice job Nancy!  :)

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
« Reply #141 on: February 25, 2012, 01:43:58 AM »
This is not one of my better projects, but it was fast and something I knew my DD would really like.  It's a sunflower table runner I made for her birthday.  Simple and plain, but colors she likes.  And it happens to fit her table nicely.  I didn't remember to take a photo until it was on her table and as a rule, I would have gotten in a chair to take a better photo, but with my little grandson watching me, I didn't think that was a good idea.  This was the best I could do.

Laurie H

http://my.inbox.com/photos/missjean/index.aspx   password is 'photos'

Offline Pina

« Reply #142 on: February 25, 2012, 04:00:23 AM »
Laurie,your sunflower table runner is beautiful !  :)

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #143 on: February 26, 2012, 11:57:30 AM »
What a nice table runner, Laurie. I don't see how you can say it's not one of your better projects because it looks perfect to me. I bet your DD is delighted. Not every young woman has a custom-designed table runner to grace her dining area. What a great mom you are!

Kathryn

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
« Reply #144 on: February 27, 2012, 12:23:09 AM »
She keeps telling me she doesn't need any more quilted items, but I can't resist.  Besides, she does love sunflowers.  :)
Laurie H

Offline Femme1

« Reply #145 on: March 26, 2012, 12:39:51 AM »

Sula's birthday quilt by Femme 1, on Flickr

Sewing bear embroidery by Femme 1, on Flickr

I just finished this quilt in time for my granddaughter's first birthday. It took quite a while, what with all the embroidery. I pieced most of it by hand (when I was visiting my daughter right after the baby was born), and it took me the rest of a year working on it here and there to finish it.

I used pre-cuts of Aunt Grace fabrics...those 1930s prints, that I happened to see at a vendor's booth at a local quilt show. It was quilted by machine (on my Janome Memory Craft 7700).

Deb

Offline BetsyV

• Trillium Undulatum; Painted Trillium
« Reply #146 on: March 26, 2012, 12:43:48 AM »
very nice, Deb! I envy you your patience.

Offline Martha Domke

« Reply #147 on: March 26, 2012, 01:04:15 AM »
I love the quilt, Deb.  The "old-fashioned" fabrics are some of my favorites.  Nice that you could also embroider on the squares.

Offline pdiddly

• P's Sewing Blog
« Reply #148 on: March 26, 2012, 08:11:32 AM »
Deb

I love your quilt and I am sure your DGD will love it too.

I finished a Pooh themed quillow for my friend's daughter last week.  The embroidery was done on my Janome 350e with each square taking approximately 1 hour to stitch out.

My friend's daughter loved the quillow.  I am now inspired to do a more grown up version for my own sofa.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 01:46:12 PM by pdiddly »
Pauline

I work full time in a busy job that often takes me around the world - in my spare time love to sew and enjoy exchanging ideas with like-minded people see my blog
http://psewing.blogspot.com/

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
« Reply #149 on: March 26, 2012, 02:42:56 PM »
Deb, I love the old-fashioned look, that hand-embroidery you did and I really think it was worth all the effort.  I really do love old fashioned quilts, so yours does it for me.  Very, very nice.

The Pooh quilt is so nice bright and pretty.  Babies do love yellow and colors that pop.  Is that brown around the yellow?  Id doesn't make the yellow pop out even more.  My DMIL made quillows one year for all the girls and they make such nice gifts.  A great way to have a quilt around without actually having a quilt around!
Laurie H

Offline pdiddly

• P's Sewing Blog
« Reply #150 on: March 26, 2012, 03:25:00 PM »
Laurie

thanks for the compliments on my quillow.  The colour around the yellow is actually black - I know its not a typical baby colour but as you say, it does make the other colours pop.

Pauline

I work full time in a busy job that often takes me around the world - in my spare time love to sew and enjoy exchanging ideas with like-minded people see my blog

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
« Reply #151 on: March 27, 2012, 12:12:12 PM »
My monitor makes it look like a deep chocolate brown, but either way, the dark color recedes and the yellow pops out.  That's all that matters to a baby and the embroidered Pooh centers will catch a baby's eye as well. 
Laurie H

Offline Femme1

« Reply #152 on: March 29, 2012, 04:23:56 PM »
Thanks, Betsy, Pdiddly, and Laurie for the compliments. I enjoyed making it, and now I'm ready to look for another quilt project!

Deb

Offline Femme1

« Reply #153 on: March 31, 2012, 05:18:57 PM »
Laurie, what a cute idea for a pillow!  I recently saw some Poky Little Puppy fabric (one of those old golden books) and I think I'll have to try a pillow from that.

Thanks for the idea!
Deb

Offline Carolyn

• Carolyn's Sewing Room
« Reply #154 on: April 18, 2012, 03:08:03 PM »
Femme, I love your quilt, especially the embroidery on it.  How delightful.  I know your DGD will love it.

PDiddly, your Pooh themed quilt is also very sweet.  What a special friend you are to have done this.  I still love Winnie the Pooh.  It was my favorite book as a child.

I just finished my first quilt in many, many years.  It's the first one I have machine quilted.  I had so much fun doing this.  I bought a Bernina 440 QE last year and am now addicted to using the BSR.  I think this will be my first of many!  This one is for my first grandchild, a girl due in June.  The pattern is from All Through The Night.

Carolyn

"If God had intended for us to stay one waist size, he wouldn't have invented elastic"...  Christee Gabour Atwood

Blog:  http://carolynobryan.blogspot.com/

Offline pdiddly

• P's Sewing Blog
« Reply #155 on: April 18, 2012, 03:28:05 PM »
Carolyn your quilt is fabulous  - Lucky DGD - I have the same machine (love it) and I have the BSR foot too - still getting used to it.
Pauline

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
« Reply #156 on: April 18, 2012, 09:10:50 PM »
Such a cute quilt.  So colorful and bright.  That's going to catch your new granddaughter's attention!  Congratulations.  My one and only grandchild, Mitchell, just turned one.  Not sure what his next quilt will be.  I hope it's turtles, because I bought the turtle pattern that Nancy in VT used and I'd love to make that for him.  We'll see.
Laurie H

Offline Femme1

« Reply #157 on: April 25, 2012, 06:28:13 PM »
Carolyn, I love that quilt! Your upcoming grandbaby will look so cute wrapped up in it.

I gifted the embroidered quilt to my granddaughter on her birthday. I really didn't expect her to have a response to it, but she kept looking at and patting all the animals. It was a big hit!

Deb

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
« Reply #158 on: June 29, 2012, 12:31:48 PM »
Here's my latest.  It's for my niece's second baby girl and I'm giving it to her tonight.  Her first girl was born in August of 2010 and her second will be born within a couple of days of her sister's 2nd birthday.  This baby will be my DSisIL's 8th grandchild and 7th DGD. 

Laurie H

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #159 on: June 29, 2012, 01:49:46 PM »
Laurie, another beauty of a quilt. The soft colors are perfect for cuddling a little one.

Kathryn

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
« Reply #160 on: June 29, 2012, 04:10:49 PM »
Thanks, Kathryn.  If I had good reason to keep it, I would.  They are my favorite colors.  Thing is, she's one of my favorite nieces, so I'll go ahead and give it to her.  :)
Laurie H

Offline Terri B

« Reply #161 on: July 02, 2012, 03:04:28 PM »
Very pretty Laurie.  Are those butterflies in the white squares?  I can't quite make them out.

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
« Reply #162 on: July 03, 2012, 12:49:21 PM »
Terri, they are almost heart-shaped balloons.  While you can't see them, there are butterflies on the backing.
Laurie H

Offline Dee38753

• Living life like there is NO tomorrow!
    • Southern Country Creations
« Reply #163 on: July 03, 2012, 01:15:58 PM »
Gorgeous quilts here! There certainly are some lucky recipients of these beautiful works of art!
Dee

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
« Reply #164 on: November 13, 2012, 01:49:26 PM »
I feel terrible that I haven't been sewing much lately.  The garden was calling me and I've been doing some knitting for Christmas.  Yesterday, I finally turned on my sewing machine, but it wasn't to quilt.  It was to make a "lumber jack" or bomber hat for my grandson.

I do have all the pieces ready to go for another baby quilt, though.  We have yet another niece who will be having a baby boy in February, so I need to get that quilt done.  Good thing I have the pieces already done.  I had enough left over from another baby quilt and just set them aside.  I'll use those since the first quilt was given to a baby on my side of the family and this one is on DH's side. 

DH's best friend is going to be a grandfather, but I have to find out when.  I'd like to make either a quilt or a baby sweater.  So many babies, not nearly enough time!  ;D
Laurie H

Offline JenCA

« Reply #165 on: November 14, 2012, 07:07:06 AM »
I just finished a family photo quilt for my grandmother's 90th birthday. Grandma was very happy with it.  :)

Sadly, the only picture I have is this one:

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
« Reply #166 on: November 14, 2012, 01:09:51 PM »
That's so nice.  Such a great selection....I think...of photos and I love the design of it.  I'm sure it will be (was) much appreciated.
Laurie H

Offline JenCA

« Reply #167 on: November 14, 2012, 04:07:29 PM »
Thank you. My dad came up with the idea (Grandma was an amazing quilter when she was younger; I dream of being so precise) and did the legwork for getting the photos. He came up with about three times the number of pictures than I could use, but wasn't paying attention when she told him all about the old pictures  ::), so I had to guess about which of those to include.

It was interesting seeing how many different colors the old pictures were. Black & white and sepia don't quite cover it.

Grandma liked the pictures I chose for the quilt. Whew. I also made a couple of matching throw pillows with current pictures of Grandma and Grandpa on one side and Dad and his sister on the other. She didn't like the current picture of Grandpa, though (and she's not shy about saying stuff like that). Many jokes were cracked about that. I'm appliqueing another picture she chose on top instead. Sadly, the photo fabric is not much fun for hand sewing.

Offline LauraM

« Reply #168 on: November 14, 2012, 05:09:35 PM »
Jen, what a wonderful quilt and gift for your grandmother.  You've got me thinking to make one for my family, too.  Only, in this case, I am the grandmother.
I can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
« Reply #169 on: November 14, 2012, 07:59:46 PM »
Laura, how could possibly pick photos to use from all that you must have of your grandchildren?  I don't know that I could pick and I have only 1!

Jen, I made small wallhangings for my mother, my grandmother and my mother-in-law a few years ago.  They loved them.  My mother, of course, complained a bit about some of the photos, but I expected that. 
Laurie H

Offline JenCA

« Reply #170 on: November 15, 2012, 07:19:23 AM »
Laura, You should do it! If you're picking the photos yourself, you can even select for a consistent size and shape, which will make your life easier. One of my challenges in designing this quilt was selecting a design that would accommodate both landscape and portrait photo orientations.

Jen, I made small wallhangings for my mother, my grandmother and my mother-in-law a few years ago.  They loved them.  My mother, of course, complained a bit about some of the photos, but I expected that.

With my Grandma, if she didn't complain, how would I know it was her?  :)

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #171 on: November 15, 2012, 03:52:02 PM »
Take a look at this post from Ann Rowley, with links to her quilted blocks as part of a quilt in progress.  They're lovely!

Enjoy!

Lisa
Found: a favorite silver bracelet that I hadn't seen for a while.  On its four quarters it says "Welcome Introspection; Accept Wisdom; Seek Illumination; Embrace Innocence."   It's like a "magic 8-ball" on the wrist...

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
« Reply #172 on: November 15, 2012, 04:07:36 PM »
Thanks for posting the link, Lisa.  What a great job.  I'm so jealous of her ability!
Laurie H

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
« Reply #173 on: December 08, 2012, 01:10:06 AM »
Nancy in VT has made another quilt.  This one is for her son who will be home for Christmas from Afghanistan.  Until she has time to figure out how to post photos herself, I post them for her.  While some colors look a bit orange, they are really red.

Laurie H

Offline N. Jarrett

« Reply #174 on: December 15, 2012, 07:31:35 PM »
Thanks l
Laurie for posting my quilt.
Actually it was made for a step grandson. DD's army husbands'son.
This was the biggest one I have made, 90x66. We did the spray techinque on the wall. Could not have done that alone. DH helped a lot. It worked well especially with machine quilting. Everything stayed together. The quilt seems very heavy to me. I used a good thin cotton batt and quilted diagonally in both directions. DH had me hurry taking the pictures cause it was so heavy to hold up! I think of it as my Quilt of Valor and acknowledged this young man with his service to our country. DH's name on the label, too, which he doesn't think he deserves but I do!
Merry Christmas.
Nancy

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics