Author Topic: September is soup-up your sewing room month :-)  (Read 18224 times)

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
Re: September is soup-up your sewing room month :-)
« Reply #210 on: August 10, 2018, 09:16:43 PM »
Added an 8 cube unit (smaller than the Ikea ones) to my sewing room this evening.
I ordered it this morning, collected it in my lunch hour and then I constructed it after dinner.
Looks good, I think it will work well.

I got it in white plus some storage boxes which fit neatly so will do some more tidying another evening to use the 4 boxes and 4 spaces.
The cubes are too small for an A4 folder, but do neatly fit Burda magazines, so I think that's what will be on the lower row, the notions or patterns on the upper row (I have it sideways).

Hopefully this will encourage me to have a bit of a tidy up!

Offline Ann

• Subscribed Member
    • Everything Sewing
« Reply #211 on: August 11, 2018, 09:34:32 AM »
Ruthie, I have the Ikea 8 cube unit and love it. I have yarn in it. The baskets are lime green which will work fine in the closet on a shelf as I want to get white or natural colored baskets. DGS loves lime green so he may get them.

I have paint colors on the wall trying to figure out which color I want to paint the house. The present wall color interferes with the new colors that I am becoming frustrated. I am thinking white primer and then choose a color. Two coats of white primer to hide the outdated color.

I also cleaned up the sewing room so I can focus better on sewing. I have to hem DGS's clothes for private school and while I am doing that I have several doll outfits to sew up. I also have a t-shirt to finish (thinking it's too big). If nothing else, I would love to have my room painted by the end of September.
Education is a journey not a race.

http://everythingsewing.blogspot.ca/

Offline ejvc

• Subscribed Member
  • Plan-bot and machine knitting cryptographer.
    • The Fabulous Dr E's Fabulous Blog
« Reply #212 on: August 11, 2018, 12:48:27 PM »
Cheering you on!  My tidy-up has been very productive so far.
Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden.

Find me at my blog: http://ejvc.wordpress.com
- on Ravelry as ejvc - on Instagram as ej.vc - and on Flickr as EJ VC.  Kind of a theme.

Offline Towanda

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #213 on: August 12, 2018, 01:29:39 AM »
I painted my sewing room a pale mint green a few years ago. It is restful and I haven't felt the need to change the color. The room has white blinds, shelves, and woodwork. The room is small and holds a lot of stuff so I need it to feel bigger than it is. My ironing table is a 4-foot banquet table that I padded with old wool fabric. It is at least 10 years old and is still going strong. It also serves as a work table. The only issue is that my back is to the tv when I am pressing.

Last year, I did a major update to my sewing room and it has worked out really well. I don't need to make any major changes this year. The only changes are to buy a new rug for the floor and make a cover for my embroidery machine. The biggest thing that I need to do is to sew so I can use up the fabric that will not fit in its storage space.

Offline Ann

• Subscribed Member
    • Everything Sewing
« Reply #214 on: August 12, 2018, 10:21:46 AM »
Towanda, my sewing room is big. I haven't been in it a year so am still figuring things out.

I got the primer to do one wall two coats. Then I can do the samples. I know I want it to be light and airy but it is hard to figure out which color I want. Am set on light gray but it could be a light white. I will prime the two coats today.

Ann

Offline Towanda

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #215 on: August 12, 2018, 12:55:14 PM »
I would love a big sewing room so that I could walk around all sides of my cutting table. I would add a comfortable chair for hand sewing and reading. Unless I move that is impossible in this house. Most of my house is painted a light gray which I find very soothing. We had already painted the sewing room and I wasn't about to move this stuff out to paint again. It took me months to decide on the mint green. It's weird that I picked green since I'm not a green person, lol. I get morning sunlight so the room feels light and airy except when it is cluttered. I have to finish cutting out projects today because I leave for a retreat tomorrow. Then the room has to be cleaned before I go because I can't stand to come home to a mess.

Offline sdBev

• Subscribed Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #216 on: August 12, 2018, 02:31:33 PM »
Im not playing this year.  I hurt myself last year trying to thoroughly clean from top to bottom.   I have been cleaning all year so it isnt as bad as it was.  I can do a little. I wlll clean the curtains, dust the high places and run around with vacuum hitting the places the irobot cant but nothing  as strenuous or time demanding as I last year.

Oh! I guess that means I am joining in.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 02:33:24 PM by sdBev »
sdBev

Offline Elephun

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #217 on: August 12, 2018, 04:04:15 PM »
I’m not planning on souping up this year.
I need to find a place I can store a roll of fabric I have horizontally so it won’t go off grain. Maybe I can slip it under the cutting table if it’s not too long.
I usually find some inspiration once I get started, so who knows what will come of it?

Offline Helen M

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #218 on: August 12, 2018, 04:38:08 PM »
Mine may get some new curtains, it's a long story, but I want to use the present ones to make a valance for another room to hide a roller blind. The fabric is no longer available so it will depend if I find something I like for the sewing room. Everything else will get a clean down and the habby drawer needs to be sorted as it missed out last time.
Sewing in Cheshire

[/url]

Offline BinMI

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #219 on: August 12, 2018, 04:47:50 PM »
I need to revamp my cutting table...presently I have three matching dressers that hold a piece of plywood, purchased long ago at a garage sale. I would like to add casters and shelf to each dresser. This will raise the table and give me some extra storage space.

Offline theresa in tucson

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #220 on: August 12, 2018, 05:02:49 PM »
Ann, there is a Dunn Edwards paint color called "Whisper Grey" if you are wanting to keep things light and still have grey.  When we did our house our builder recommended the color saying, "It reads like white until you put it next to white, and then you see it's really grey."  We painted the ceilings cottage white, the mechanical soffitt chases whisper grey and the walls either cottage white or color.  It looks good,.

Offline Lisanne

• Subscribed Member
  • southern England
« Reply #221 on: August 12, 2018, 06:49:54 PM »
I'm nowhere near to 'prettying-up' my sewing room, but it has been an ongoing project this year.  I've sorted out a whole lot of jumbled boxes, so now like is with like in labelled boxes, much has gone to textile re-cycling, and 6 boxes to the crafting charity store.
All this in preparation hopefully for getting an embroidery machine at the end of this month, so learning to use that is my planned project for September.
Perhaps I can just leave all my samples lying around the room and call that prettifying  ;D
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

Offline sdBev

• Subscribed Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #222 on: August 12, 2018, 08:03:21 PM »
Perhaps I can just leave all my samples lying around the room and call that prettifying  ;D
Oh oh, take it to the next level and frame them. If you have a bulletin board, trim the samples neatly, then cover up the cork.  So pretty.
sdBev

Offline Ann

• Subscribed Member
    • Everything Sewing
« Reply #223 on: August 12, 2018, 08:54:41 PM »
Ann, there is a Dunn Edwards paint color called "Whisper Grey" if you are wanting to keep things light and still have grey.  When we did our house our builder recommended the color saying, "It reads like white until you put it next to white, and then you see it's really grey."  We painted the ceilings cottage white, the mechanical soffitt chases whisper grey and the walls either cottage white or color.  It looks good,.

We don't have Dunn Edwards paints but the color I have chosen to try is a light grey called serenity. I want to paint the doors and trim white. The floor is throwing me off as it has yellow in it but I think it will work.

I painted part of one wall two coats of primer today and it looks quite a bit brighter in the room already. The house is calling for light and bright. Everything is brown but nothing really matches. You look at brown, tan and a bit of cream. The only thing that matches is the white trim. It is all the same color of white. The only house more depressing was the one in Ashcroft. It was dark stained paneling in all the rooms with green carpeting. Even the cupboards in the kitchen was dark stained. No matter how many lights we had on, the house was dark and depressing.

I keep saying this house has potential. If I got the one in Ashcroft light and airy, I can master this one.

Ann

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #224 on: August 12, 2018, 09:24:09 PM »
Sounds like primer all over first of all would cover the brown well, and then you can try colours.
The absolute lightest is of course pure brilliant white, but in northern light it can get a bluish tinge which can feel cold.

Offline Lisanne

• Subscribed Member
  • southern England
« Reply #225 on: August 12, 2018, 11:33:41 PM »
If you have a bulletin board, trim the samples neatly, then cover up the cork.  So pretty.
Thanks Bev - good idea, the bulletin board is in there behind a pile of boxes. . .
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

Offline ejvc

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #226 on: August 13, 2018, 05:59:29 AM »
A bulletin board is a thing I also want!  And, I want to re-cover the pressing board I made that sits on the cutting table; my other ironing boards are covered in coarse gingham, I want to see if I can do this one that way as well.

When I did my cleanup I added a plate rack above the cutting board, it's really marvellous:

Sewing room Sept 2018 by EJ VC, on Flickr

You can see it was pretty messy.  Here's the room "before"  -- it's better now!

Sewing room Sept 2018 by EJ VC, on Flickr

- on Ravelry as ejvc - on Instagram as ej.vc - and on Flickr as EJ VC.  Kind of a theme.

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #227 on: August 13, 2018, 07:04:55 AM »
I did some tidying up last night, which mostly involved putting fabric away in the cupboard.
A bit more today and I feel like I am nearly there and could almost hazard some photos!

Offline Ann

• Subscribed Member
    • Everything Sewing
« Reply #228 on: August 13, 2018, 09:59:55 AM »
I got the 2 coats of primer on yesterday. It made the room look light and bright.

Today I can start painting on the three samples. Two in gray and one other. Two are light, one is mid tone. Once I choose, the room will be dismantled and the ceilings painted and the wall primed for paint. I am up to it. Am getting excited about souping up this room.

I am putting up Ikea's peg board in this room. I am thinking three or four of them. The one I got for my birthday is my inspiration board. The others will be for scissor, ironing supplies, and embroidery machine hoops. I am looking forward to getting them up as I love them for organizing my sewing room.

Ann

Offline ejvc

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #229 on: August 13, 2018, 11:05:21 AM »
Wow, looks great!

Offline Towanda

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #230 on: August 13, 2018, 01:26:37 PM »
I got the 2 coats of primer on yesterday. It made the room look light and bright.

Ann

The primer is already an improvement. Looking forward to seeing the final paint color.

Offline ljh

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #231 on: August 13, 2018, 03:24:24 PM »
The primer is definitely an improvement!
I love Ikea pegboards-they're really sturdy, although the holes are larger than standard so you can pull the hooks out of the lower holes if whatever hangs on them catches.  No big deal as the upper hooks are deep so the whole thing doesn't come off.
Linda

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
« Reply #232 on: August 13, 2018, 07:26:29 PM »
Oh oh, take it to the next level and frame them. If you have a bulletin board, trim the samples neatly, then cover up the cork.  So pretty.
If you have a bulletin board, trim the samples neatly, then cover up the cork.  So pretty.
Thanks Bev - good idea, the bulletin board is in there behind a pile of boxes. . .
A bulletin board is a thing I also want! 

If anyone who wants a bulletin board is budget-challenged, or just not looking to spend a lot on a buletin board, an acoustic ceiling tile can be used as a good (inexpensive) substitute.  I made one when I was a teen, and it's still in use in my sister's office.

While you can do lots of decoration--adding framing, covering w/ fabric (either thin or loosely woven)--just painting it the color you want it works just fine.  I used the wall paint I was using in my bedroom at the time.  The texture of standard ceiling tiles (2x4 foot) is sort of "cork-y" and works just fine with pins/push-pins.

HTH (someone),

Lisa

Offline Ann

• Subscribed Member
    • Everything Sewing
« Reply #233 on: August 13, 2018, 09:26:13 PM »
I put 4 paint samples no the walls. The two grey were too dark, one to pink and one to yellow. I want to get a paler grey and try it. And alabaster to see if it too yellow or not. This is hard work finding the right color. Glad I  am starting in the basement where no one will notice my trial and error process of choosing a color.

Offline Saashka

• Subscribed Member
  • sewing in southern Maryland
« Reply #234 on: August 13, 2018, 10:12:27 PM »
Ann, check out Maria Killam’s blog for advice on choosing paint color.  She does a great job explaining why certain colors work where others don’t.

Offline ljh

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #235 on: August 13, 2018, 11:43:12 PM »
I put 4 paint samples no the walls. The two grey were too dark, one to pink and one to yellow. I want to get a paler grey and try it. And alabaster to see if it too yellow or not. This is hard work finding the right color. Glad I  am starting in the basement where no one will notice my trial and error process of choosing a color.

Sounds like the story of my DD's kitchen.  She wanted blue and gray.  She found a blue she liked right off, but finding a gray that worked took her a lot of samples.  I love gray as a neutral, but as you've noted, there are a lot of grays out there.
Linda

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #236 on: August 14, 2018, 06:08:20 AM »
I don't really like grey, its the colour of offices in which I have worked for many years!
I know grey has become popular for home decor but I still love all the beiges.
I do like various shades of beige/natural/neutral. Dulux make some beiges which have fabric names. I painted the bedroom in 'Natural Calico' a yellowy beige and my 1980s faux mahoghany fireplace in 'Natural Hessian' which is a bit browner. I love them both.

The beiges are also a minefield with varied undertones which don't go together.

I recovered a green office chair with beige upholstery fabric. Did a nice job and still use the chair. However the previous home owners had carpeted rooms individually and the study beige carpet is a different beige to the sewing room, so the chair has to be in the study where the carpet has more yellow in the beige and it works OK, and I have a black/grey chair in the sewing room. I feel the need for a white one!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 07:34:18 AM by Sew Ruthie Sews »

Offline sdBev

• Subscribed Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #237 on: August 14, 2018, 06:34:53 AM »
...I still love all the beiges. ...
Me, too.
sdBev

Offline Ann

• Subscribed Member
    • Everything Sewing
« Reply #238 on: August 14, 2018, 10:04:13 AM »
Ann, check out Maria Killam’s blog for advice on choosing paint color.  She does a great job explaining why certain colors work where others don’t.

I just got finished reading some of her articles and I am hoping I am seeing the light. It doesn't matter if it is beige or grey or blue, it has to work in the space. That is what is hanging me up. As I read deeper, I kept coming back to Sherwin Williams Alabaster in my mind and I'm going to try it.

I also think that my mind is running in confused circles is the color is tuscany, the trim is victorian, and there are yellow browns mixed with red browns and it all feels monochromatic and dark. I'm going light and airy and use color in the fabric decor. The primer is telling me I need to be light and neutral.

Ann

Offline JuneBug

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #239 on: August 15, 2018, 01:45:37 AM »
Best of luck with the paint colors. 

I cleared the open area of the loft enough to put the desk together last night.  In the process I found several more bins of fabric.  I was really hoping I was very near the end.  I have FFF, fabric folding fatigue. It's related to PPP, pattern purge pooped.  I have concerns that I may purge something due to overwhelming symptoms, rather than rational decision making, so I just stacked them and will return to that task later.

I'm at the point where I need to start moving things around.  I had to move my friend, the full mounted dall sheep on wheels, out of the way and was wondering where I was going to eventually put him.  I found him a future permanent spot, but to make it happen I have to 1) move the bookshelves from room to loft, 2) move the small drawer stacks from room to loft, 3) move the large drawers from loft to room, 4) move DM's much smaller, but still substantial, stash from loft to room, 5) move the dresser to DM's stash's old spot and the buffalo/bear hides to the railings, and finally 6) the sheep will end up where the dresser is currently. Whew!  I may not make all of my goals by 8/22, but the furniture should all be moved by then.

In the mean time, it's a pleasure to open the room closet and see shelves of neatly folded fabric rainbows. I confess to sitting there yesterday for several minutes just enjoying myself after moving stuff around.  It is a positive motivator.

Offline Ann

• Subscribed Member
    • Everything Sewing
« Reply #240 on: August 15, 2018, 03:24:04 PM »
We headed out this morning and bought Alabaster colored paint and it is the right color for our house. We both love it. Now I can get primer and prime the sewing room after I finished hemming DGS's blazer sleeves. First I am going to have a nap as I didn't sleep well last night. Warm and humid and it made me restless all night long.

Offline Susan in Saint John

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #241 on: August 20, 2018, 08:47:27 PM »
Among other things, I am looking for a cutting table and work table for hand sewing.  I was thinking of something that could change height.  I know someone who has one of these https://shop.martellinotions.com/martelli-tables.html  but I had no idea how expensive it could be not even including shipping, duty and tax to say nothing of currency conversion!  Not in my budget.

There are some cutting tables with gate legs or drop leaves [like some dining room tables] which fold up relatively small and open out to a decent size.  Some of the reviews commented that they could be flimsy and a problem with the pressure you put onto the cutting surface when you are using a rotary mat and cutter.  Do any of you have something like this that works well?

So I continued to look and found this https://www.uline.ca/Product/Detail/H-3630/Workbenches/Steel-Assembly-Table-Standard-72-x-36?pricode=YG090&gadtype=pla&id=H-3630&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhMnj5Lj83AIViVYNCh2JXg1IEAQYAiABEgIUJPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds  I had not thought about basically factory equipment but of course they must have workstations which are at the correct height to avoid back injuries.  You can get them with solid wood tops, laminate, or stainless steel.  Looks like you can add casters and drawers.  Used with a "work stool" -- essentially a standard office desk chair which goes up higher and has a foot rest, it could be used for cutting out, pattern drafting, and hand sewing where you place the garment on the table instead of in your lap.  Crazy idea?

Offline PJSewingal

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #242 on: August 20, 2018, 09:35:56 PM »
This year in the sewing room will be a de-clutter.  I really need to straighten up and put things away.  I am hoping that will lead to some clearing out.  I am retiring in a year, so doing some plans now for a bigger re-do next year.  Some things just need to be moved into different places and/or different type of storage.

I have to find a way to bring myself to clear out some books and patterns.  Trying to figure out what books I really use/need to keep, and what I really don't use for reference.  The internet makes it so easy to look things up, that sometimes I think I don't need any books at all.  I have a hard time getting rid of books.
Paula
Sew many ideas, Sew little time

Blog: https://spoolsandyards.wordpress.com/

Offline sdBev

• Subscribed Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #243 on: Yesterday at 02:19:31 AM »
I am thinking of adding a narrow table maybe 18”  wide  and 4’ long to hold both of my cover stitch machines. That way I could pull forward the one I wanted to use ATM.  Then Id move the CS table into the stash room and set up the PE770. It sits in the closet. A number of times I have really wished it was set up.  I use a HV Ruby but have only 2 hoops, a 4.72x4.72 and 7.47 x 14.  Lots of times Id like to be able to use a hoop  smaller or inbetween. Funny, I planned when that happen I would set up my Beother Dream’s embroidery arm. But in practice, I keep sewing on the Dream and use a hoop too big.  Stuck on plans at this point because I have a small file cabinet where I want the 770. The file cabinet contains my Burda Magazine collection and patterns.  Cant figure out what to do with that.  Decisions, decision.
sdBev

Offline AnnetteB

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #244 on: Yesterday at 06:08:24 AM »
Today I have purged two large plastic tubs of fabric from my stash. That still leaves me with more than enough. On top of purging six small tubs of patterns last week, my sewing room is starting to feel less cluttered....

Next to do, start sewing up some garments.. I hope to have some pics to share within the next week.
Annette
near Gladstone, Queensland, Australia