Author Topic: Six-piece winter collection sew-along (Dec-Feb)  (Read 34488 times)

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
Re: Six-piece winter collection sew-along (Dec-Feb)
« Reply #210 on: February 04, 2010, 01:57:44 AM »
Elizabeth has infected me. I'm cleaning up getting ready for the spring 6PAC.   

I have a closet in my sewing room.  My Sewing Room was a bedroom and became The Sewing Room when I moved in, hence the closet which spans the full length of one wall.  I often place my sewing projects on hangers and hang them in the closet along with the weekly ironing and mending.   DH's shirt is finished. Since I couldn't decide between jacket or vest, I've carefully folded the fabric and replaced it in the stash. I've put together the coat, lining and last pieces ready to sew together hanging in the closet or as I also think of it "The Staging Area". I had placed several uncut fabrics on hangers thinking about extras for the winter 6PAC and indeed I did get a few extras.  But I had more fabric in this closet which has now been carefully refolded and replaced in the stash.  I know that a year from now I'm not likely to remember exactly what I was thinking when I pulled those fabrics out, so the best plan is to return them to a place where they will be somewhat protected, but still available for consideration.

I have some mending to do and a home dec project almost finished except for the bias binding. 

I dont' know, maybe these thoughts belonged on the Spring 6PAC thread, but I feel like this is part of winding down and finishing the Winter 6PAC so I'm chatting here.  I still have a little more purging of the closet The Staging Area to do and of course finishing my coat is a priority. 

I feel like I'm moving along making progress, even though I haven't put one additional stitch into the coat.  Is that funny or what?

Online Sewshopper

« Reply #211 on: February 04, 2010, 03:32:15 AM »
sdBev, I am right there with you!  I spent a couple hours this afternoon sorting through my stash.  Took the wools that will not get touched this season down to the storage bags in the basement and then proceeded to sort through 3 tubs with spring/summer fabrics.  I grouped things together and lined up my 'spring collection' and then listed everything that is in the tubs so I will know where to look later.  Got my warmer weather sewing all organized, meanwhile, I still have 4 pieces to get done in the winter collection.  At this point, I am not sure what my progress is but really feel like I am making some ::).

Karleene

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #212 on: February 04, 2010, 05:07:30 AM »
sdBev, I am right there with you!  I...

thank you Karlene.  That make me feel like I'm not so, I don't know, way out

Offline ejvc

• Machine-Knitting Cryptographer and Plan-Bot
  • Me about age 2
    • The Fabulous Dr E's Fabulous Blog
« Reply #213 on: February 04, 2010, 11:23:59 AM »
Spring cleaning, eh?  Well, good for you, Bev and Karleene.  I also put away my fabrics after each cycle and get new ones up from the basement where the fabrics live.

I am almost done with the Burda blouse bar buttonholes and a final press, but I have to stop for today.  I tried on the blouse though, and I think it's the best-looking thing I've made in a long while.  Very cheery, and very glad I didn't ruin it with the scissors!  I also found my tracing envelope and looked at the pattern -- it's a straight-off-the-sheet size 40 with no alterations at all, and it fits beautifully!  I did have to make the sleeve cuffs larger to accomodate my larger biceps, but it was an easy change.  I remember that I thought cutting a 40 was a risk, but that with all the seams on this blouse I should be able to alter if it didn't fit.  Now I know I should cut 40s in all my Burda tops!  I also found the envelope for the check skirt, and that pattern, by contrast, was cut as a size 44 with a good 1 1/2" added to the side seams!  I'm starting to think it's no wonder that I can't buy dresses!  And apparently size 42 is right out :)  I did the alterations to the check skirt by comparing to my Butterick sloper pattern.  I love the sloper.
My blog is at http://ejvc.wordpress.com

Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden!

Offline ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #214 on: February 05, 2010, 12:16:08 PM »
Ta-da - skirt and blouse together on Maude, the dress form.  She is a duct-tape dummy who has sunk somewhat, so I am a trifle slimmer than she around the waist, but nonetheless she approximates my figure pretty well still.  These two pieces fit me amazingly.

Here is the back view (the zipper doesn't pull on me):

Offline HeatherB

• Simply Perfect
« Reply #215 on: February 05, 2010, 03:22:44 PM »
Beautiful outfit Elizabeth!

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #216 on: February 05, 2010, 04:36:22 PM »
Beautiful outfit!
I refuse to tip toe cautiously thru life only to arrive safely at deaths door.
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...  'Oh darn ........ she's awake!!'
Age may wrinkle the face, but lack of enthusiasm wrinkles the soul

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #217 on: February 05, 2010, 04:48:56 PM »
Elizabeth  this is an oustanding outfit.  See what you can do when you have a little time?

Online RuthieSews

• RuthieSews, sewing in Derbyshire, England
    • SEW RUTHIE
« Reply #218 on: February 05, 2010, 05:21:01 PM »
Absolutely lovely. The blouse is particularly gorgeous.

Offline Karendee

« Reply #219 on: February 05, 2010, 06:36:32 PM »
Beautiful!

Karen

Offline Sharon

• Petite and Sewing
« Reply #220 on: February 06, 2010, 01:35:17 AM »
Elizabeth, stunning.  Your skirt will look different again with the cream/white blouse you showed us earlier.

Sharon
Sharon, Sydney, Australia

Petite and Sewing

Offline ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #221 on: February 06, 2010, 01:02:58 PM »
Thank you so much everyone!  I am very proud of myself for having finished these  :smug:  I have the perfect place to wear them, I just realised (especially when I finish the jacket): we have been invited to attend the opening of a major exhibit at the British Museum on March 3rd, my husband's birthday.  I say that's a good time.

Now, I am accessory-challenged.  What shoes/stockings/jewellery/belt should I wear?  Suggestions welcome.

Online RuthieSews

• SEW RUTHIE
« Reply #222 on: February 06, 2010, 04:38:44 PM »
What accessories do you like (and have already)?

I can see this outfit done a few ways

- dark navy opaque tights, dark navy stretch knee boots (e.g. M&S)
or
-barely black tights (thin ones, aka panyhose) with black shoes e.g. ballet flats or classic dress shoes

jewellery wise
- delicate antique beaded dangle earrings and bracelet. Something with lots of intricate detail and small beads in silver and blue
OR
- chunky faux pearls, along long loop necklace tied casually in a knot so it falls within the trim on the blouse. Simple faux peal earrings and faux pearls strung onto elastic as a bracelet. The pearls could be classic off white/cream OR (and I think a little more modern/quirky) in a silvery grey

depends what you already have and how classic you want to play it versus a bit more modern/quirky.

Offline ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #223 on: February 06, 2010, 10:17:05 PM »
Ruthie, thanks for the suggestions, I was thinking navy boots also, but they are hard to come by, especially in an affordable version.  It's probably a good time of year to buy boots though, since they'll be trying to clear out for their spring selection.  I have a pair of knee-high brown pull-ons from Hobbs that I love.  They are flats and my back is a bit out since Charlotte so wearing a heel is hard on me.  Also I have very wide calfs (calves?) so pull-ons are a real boon.  I'll have a peep at M&S.  Kathryn suggested neutral shoes or to match a belt also, I thought that was good.  I think one could wear grey shoes, but I don't think they'll be in for long.  Still, why not, with a light grey or cream stocking?

Hmm, I am hardly wearing earrings anymore since I wear glasses and I feel it's easy for them to fight; they have to be small I think.  Too bad as earrings are probably my favourite jewellery.  Bracelet is an excellent idea.  I'll keep an eye out.  I have pearls and I think pearls are great with the check (it has some cream in it) but they are a choker length.  But with another top...  The trim (and bow!) on the blouse precludes a necklace with this anyway, I think, although I could try your long pearl strand when I'm feeling funky (ie hardly ever, LOL).

Working on the blue-grey trousers now, discovered I hadn't *really* cut them, I'd just cut the fronts and backs, discovered there was a big chunk out of the upper back owing to the fabric being uneven and me not checking (argh) and put them away.  However the chunk out is in just the right place to cut off and put a yoke in its place, so the yoke pattern has now been made, yokes cut, and the top of the backs trimmed.  And the waistband and facing cut.  Still uncut is the lining, which I think I am going to apply as interlining/underlining instead of making a separate lining.  We'll see how that works!  It sounds like a big pain in the patoot so I hope it will be worth it.  I must have really skimped buying this fabric (as I recall I bought it in Sweden and it was expensive) because there is hardly anything left!  I barely made the waistband and had to cut the facing from another material.  And am shocked to find that my button stash does not contain suitable buttons.  At least I have a zipper.

You know, I bought this pattern (Claire Shaeffer's 7881 trousers from Vogue) to make the couture version, and this will be my 3rd or 4th pair of the non-couture version.  When will I get around to doing it right?

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #224 on: February 06, 2010, 10:27:59 PM »
You know, I bought this pattern (Claire Shaeffer's 7881 trousers from Vogue) to make the couture version, and this will be my 3rd or 4th pair of the non-couture version.  When will I get around to doing it right?

I think Claire says she sews the non couture many times - so you're doing it right!! ;D
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...  'Oh darn ........ she's awake!!'

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #225 on: February 06, 2010, 11:17:32 PM »
..Hmm, I am hardly wearing earrings anymore since I wear glasses and I feel it's easy for them to fight; they have to be small I think.  ..

I don't agree with you.  My own glasses, for several years now, have been the largest I and find.  I do prefer the tortoise shell frame which is pretty neutral.  I choose my earrings to coordinate with my clothing.  Many of my earrings are quit substantial.  If they looked truly out of place, DH would tell me first; and then I have several friends that would be quick to suggest I "might want to rethink the earrings".  They do mean well, and are usually right. 

Otherwise, I have to agree with Ruthie.  Depends on what you have and where you are going.  Can I suggest we do a reverse?  You pick a set, take a photo with your phone and post the photo so we can advise? 

Offline ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #226 on: February 07, 2010, 08:25:58 PM »
Hmm.  Well, let's just say I think they fight with *my* glasses -- I think it can have a lot to do with other things also, like hair (mine is kind of wild and curly) and colouring (now my hair is so grey my glasses seem comparatively darker, although they are quite light.  Also probably it has to do with style and what you are comfortably wearing.  I think I will go out and buy shoes next and then show a possible outfit.

Today I've been working on my trousers.  I've decided to do a part-underlining, rather than a lining.  I find that I love the feel of a lining but my linings always rip out in the crotch, and I think it's super-annoying.  No doubt when I have made this pair I will find out why this method is also annoying.  Anyway, you cut the pieces, baste longways down the centre, roll the piece over a magazine with the basting on the magazine's spine, and then pin the edges.  My sewing guide also suggests basting across, then diagonal basting down.  Well.  Since the examples were for a tailored jacket and trousers, on the whole, are much simpler, and the cross-basting looked like it was creating distortion patterns of its own, I just basted down the edges of the pieces in the seam allowance.  It looks good so far.  The lining material, which I bought in Sweden, I recall I thought quite expensive, for lining, and I have just realised that it's because it's AWESOME.  I don't know what it is, but I love it.  I thought it was an ordinary acetate lining but it just moves and feels like silk when working with it.  I only bought a metre of the stuff, and I cut it so the selvedges finish below the knees of the trousers.  So anyway, everything is cut (bar the waistband interfacing) and the front pieces have the underlining attached, so progress is being made.

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #227 on: February 07, 2010, 09:45:32 PM »
Hm.. I think I will go out and buy shoes next and then show a possible outfit.

I prefer to solve all my problems by buying fabric >:D >:D >:D

Offline ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #228 on: February 08, 2010, 11:04:47 AM »
I prefer to solve all my problems by buying fabric

And I think normally you are correct.  But one does also need shoes.  ;D

Well, the underlining is basted on to all the pieces now so at last I am ready to actually sew!  I have already put on my emergency back yokes, since I cut the underlining as per the original pattern piece.  Obviously I made several mistakes.  First, I did them backwards so that the wrong side of the fabric is out.  Doesn't really matter on this fabric as it's completely indistinguishable, but it's still irritating.  The second mistake was that I mis-drafted the yokes!  Normally yokes come to a point in the center back, yes?  Well my half-points are at the side seams.  I think it will be attractive and is probably a better choice for these trousers, as otherwise they are not "sporty" at all, but still.  Sewing is a continual exercise in spatial perception, isn't it?

And have I mentioned that the fabric is stretch and the underlining isn't?  I hope everything goes well with this.  I don't need the stretchiness of the fabric for anything, in fact I thought it was not stretchy when I bought it, but I hope it doesn't do anything horrible.  Sewing is also a continuing experiment.  At least for me.

Offline kbenco

• Queensland, Australia
    • kbenco's projects
« Reply #229 on: February 08, 2010, 12:14:24 PM »
Elizabeth, your outfit looks terrific. You are powering on with the pants. I am reminded that I rashly stated I would make a pair of those Claire trousers, about a year ago, and it has not happened yet.

I think you should buy boots to wear with the skirt. In fact I think you should go to this boot shop, one of which is in London, and check it out - this is an entirely self interested suggestion  ;).
Duo
Dawn at Two on Two off buys skinny calf boots there over the internet, but apparently it is the most marvellous shop for boots to be worn over um, more generous calves. As I have never yet been able to purchase a pair of boots, due to the zipper refusing to fasten for some strange reason, I plan to visit this shop in August- in fact it may be a major reason why I am going to London  ;D (my husband does not yet know this). I would try purchasing a pair online, but as I have not yet managed to work out the relationship between Australian, UK, European and US shoe sizes, I think this would be a hazardous option, and they are not exactly an inexpensive item - but if they fit!!!!
Karen
what I am sewing  - http://kbenco.blogspot.com/

Offline ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #230 on: February 08, 2010, 01:04:18 PM »
Karen, I'll have you know that I'm dropping everything and heading out to this shop right now.  In the snow, mind you.

Elizabeth

Offline kbenco

• Queensland, Australia
    • kbenco's projects
« Reply #231 on: February 08, 2010, 01:07:51 PM »
I hope that is a wild exaggeration. I would not want you to go out in the snow before you had cool boots, and thermals - and what happened to sewing the trousers! :(
I expect a detailed report on the shop, and a photograph of the boots. >:D,  or maybe a saving budget and expected purchase date will do
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 01:13:40 PM by kbenco »

Offline KathrynT

« Reply #232 on: February 08, 2010, 08:44:51 PM »
Karen!  You enabler!

Offline ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #233 on: February 08, 2010, 08:45:52 PM »
Life irritatingly intervened in my boot expedition.  Tomorrow!

Offline ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #234 on: February 09, 2010, 03:56:07 PM »
OK, I have been and have bought boots.  But!  Karen!  They told me that they get rid of all the boots for the summer season, which starts Feb 17, and don't get new ones in until August.  I'm sure you could still go for a fitting but you won't be able to get the boots you want.  

They were out of the ones I *really* wanted in my size.  But as a consolation I got some fabulous brown lace-up boots, knee high, fit perfectly, 85, which I call a bargain.  Then I stopped by the Salvation Army and picked up some nice navy heels to wear with my skirt.

ETA: here a link with a picture of the boots I got - brown "Valencia" http://www.duoboots.com/products/boots/detail/calf_fitted_boots_everyday/valencia/254/colour/2-espresso_brown_leather/shoesize/39/calfwidth/N/

« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 03:58:59 PM by ejvc »

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #235 on: February 09, 2010, 04:06:08 PM »
VERY  Nice!!

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #236 on: February 09, 2010, 04:30:39 PM »
Yum, I love those boots.  I've been looking  at boots myself but haven't decided to purchase.  I know that I want low heels no more than 1.5 inch.  I did buy some slouch, ankle high boots at the beginning of winter and I'm wearing those to death. 

Online RuthieSews

• SEW RUTHIE
« Reply #237 on: February 09, 2010, 06:54:29 PM »
I have loads of Duo boots
love them.
Sadly mine are all now too big as I had them when I was plus size.
I might just order myself some flat black ones...........

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #238 on: February 09, 2010, 07:27:21 PM »
Yum, I love those boots.  I've been looking  at boots myself but haven't decided to purchase.  I know that I want low heels no more than 1.5 inch.  I did buy some slouch, ankle high boots at the beginning of winter and I'm wearing those to death. 
Check out Aerosoles.com - - they're on sale now and no shipping.

Offline LauraTS

• Chiral Craft
« Reply #239 on: February 09, 2010, 09:07:58 PM »
Oh man, I so covet a pair of Duos. I was ticked that I didn't know about them before my last trip to London. Allie from Wardrobe Oxygen really liked hers, which I think was the first place I heard of them. (Don't suppose you're a size 10, Ruthie?)

I hope you enjoy yours muchly, Elizabeth.  :-*
I blog about sewing at http://chiralcraft.wordpress.com

Do you sew from KnipMode? Join us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/knipmode_english/

Online RuthieSews

• SEW RUTHIE
« Reply #240 on: February 09, 2010, 11:21:46 PM »
Oh man, I so covet a pair of Duos. I was ticked that I didn't know about them before my last trip to London. Allie from Wardrobe Oxygen really liked hers, which I think was the first place I heard of them. (Don't suppose you're a size 10, Ruthie?)

I hope you enjoy yours muchly, Elizabeth.  :-*

I am a size 39 European which is a 6 UK, (No idea what that is US)
I am going to buy the flat black ones as I know I will wer them lots. It might even help me break out some of the skirts.

Offline kbenco

• Queensland, Australia
    • kbenco's projects
« Reply #241 on: February 10, 2010, 12:05:47 AM »
Elizabeth, I am green with envy. Very green.
At this stage I plan to be in London for the first few days of August, so maybe the winter boots will have come in, and I can pay full price for them  :(, at least they are likely to have all the sizes at the beginning of the season. I have some birthday money from my mum that is earmarked for these books.
Does anyone know what an Australian size 8 1/2 to 9 is in European/UK. I have googled the sizes and come up with 8 1/2 = 38, and also =39, and 9 = 39, and also =40, so I guess there is not an easy translation.
Maybe I can justify 20 pounds postage here, then 20 pounds postage back when the boots don't fit. Hmmmm.
Karen

Online RuthieSews

• SEW RUTHIE
« Reply #242 on: February 10, 2010, 12:15:55 AM »
Normal UK sizes are 4, 5 ,6 , 7 - smaller than a 4 is small sizes, larger than a 7 is large sizes.
They don't match up perfectly with European sizes, so I think a 39 is between a 5 1/2 and 6, and a 40 is a 6 1/2.
If you think about the standard sizes Aus shoes are sold in maybe you can work it out from there?

(agree its confusing I looked at a few sites, one said Australian and British shoe sizing is the same, another had the Aus shoes one larger than the UK shoes)

Offline kbenco

• Queensland, Australia
    • kbenco's projects
« Reply #243 on: February 10, 2010, 12:52:52 AM »
Thanks Ruthie, I kept looking and some of the sites are so wrong in the things I do know, (eg, a Men's 6 = Women's 8 in Australia, and some sites say they are the same or 1/2 size different) that it is hard to trust them for the rest. Also shoe sizes do not seem standard to me in the shops anyway. I have size 8, size 8 1/2 and size 9 regular shoes, and wear size 9 1/2 running shoes.
I have weakly rashly ordered a pair of size 41 boots (only 54 pounds including  20 pounds shipping once the VAT was excluded) which may be 1 size too big, but will not be too small. I will wear thick socks! Or sell them on ebay.
Sorry to get so off topic. I can not even claim to be accessorizing my 6pc, as I still plan to sew light and frivolous summer clothes by the end of the month!
PS I am accessorizing my winter 6pc though, even though this is still 4months off. I have some orange brown and cream tweed that will match these boots  ;D

« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 12:56:55 AM by kbenco »

Offline DebbieY

• Debs Needle & Thread
« Reply #244 on: February 10, 2010, 02:40:49 AM »
I am a size 39 European which is a 6 UK, (No idea what that is US)
I am going to buy the flat black ones as I know I will wer them lots. It might even help me break out some of the skirts.

Ruthie you're the same size as me, it translates roughly into a size 8 in Australia.

Karen ther's nothing like being prepared and starting a wardrobe from the ground up, buying winter boots now make perfect sense.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics