Author Topic: Sandbox II  (Read 72718 times)

Offline margyh

Re: Sandbox II
« Reply #665 on: September 09, 2011, 05:11:40 AM »
heres a picture:

Oh, Oh

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #666 on: September 09, 2011, 05:12:47 AM »
heres a picture:

Nope!  That used the Page URL (what your browser's address window shows--or what you get from the "Link" window under "Link to this photo" link between img tags.  That's when you get that little puzzle piece icon. :P

You need the Image URL (what you got by right-clicking/Ctrl+clicking on the picture you want to show us).  Image URLs usually end with ".jpg" (although there are a couple of other file types that can be displayed as images...).  Once you've got the Image URL, you need to put it between image tags like this: :img:  You get the image tags by clicking on the "Insert image" button (1st button, 2nd row above the editing window).   

Again, please?
Found: a favorite silver bracelet that I hadn't seen for a while.  On its four quarters it says "Welcome Introspection; Accept Wisdom; Seek Illumination; Embrace Innocence."   It's like a "magic 8-ball" on the wrist...

Offline margyh

« Reply #667 on: September 09, 2011, 05:14:36 AM »

/OK...got that

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #668 on: September 09, 2011, 05:19:02 AM »

/OK...got that

You certainly do!  Do you know how to make a clickable word?  For example "Your PicasaWebAlbum."   If you already know that one, I know how I want to show you how to do a clickable picture.... ;) ;D
Found: a favorite silver bracelet that I hadn't seen for a while.  On its four quarters it says "Welcome Introspection; Accept Wisdom; Seek Illumination; Embrace Innocence."   It's like a "magic 8-ball" on the wrist...

Offline margyh

« Reply #669 on: September 09, 2011, 05:29:36 AM »

OK,  I this one clicks through to the album. No, I don't know how to make a clickable word....

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #670 on: September 09, 2011, 05:34:50 AM »
 :applause2: :applause2: :applause2:

Well, now that you've done the harder thing (a clickable picture :)), a clickable word will be easy.  The format is as follows:

Code: [Select]
[url=PAGE URL]clickable words[/url]
So where you had the code to display the image, you put the words you want!  The url tags and the Page URL inside the opening url tag stay the same.  You can use any Page URL as the target for the link.

Did that make sense (I think I'm getting a little punchy...)?

Lisa

Offline margyh

« Reply #671 on: September 09, 2011, 05:46:29 AM »
Wimp that I am, I'm going to bed and see if I can tie it all together in the morning,

THANK YOU LISA! :applause2: :applause2: :applause2:

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #672 on: September 09, 2011, 05:50:02 AM »
You're welcome!  Have a nice night.  See you in the morning!

Lisa

Offline margyh

« Reply #673 on: September 09, 2011, 05:37:14 PM »
OK...back to practising...

I am going to make a clickable word here

Yay! I think it worked...let me know if you can see it...

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #674 on: September 09, 2011, 05:56:52 PM »
Yep, you got it!  It takes me to your album page.  You can also use clickable words to take you anyplace else.  For instance, to Google's home page:  "target" using this code:

[url=www.google.com]target[/url]
I'm feeling a bit livelier this morning...you?

Lisa

Offline margyh

« Reply #675 on: September 09, 2011, 06:08:39 PM »
Yes, nothing like a good night's sleep to open up those brain cells ;D
Thanks again, Lisa!

Offline bevaau

« Reply #676 on: September 09, 2011, 11:13:00 PM »
I have been trying to insert pictures without success - even lost my (longish) message in the process. Can you please give me a step-by-step process. I have images on my computer and I am able to use Webshots. Which is the correct/best way to go?
Thanks

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #677 on: September 10, 2011, 12:21:22 AM »
I have been trying to insert pictures without success - even lost my (longish) message in the process.

Hi bevaau!

I'm so sorry that you lost your message...that can happen when the reply window "times out," so it's particularly likely to happen when you've been working on a long post.  There's a post "here" describing how you can protect yourself, so that never happens to you again! :) 

I have been trying to insert pictures without success [...]. Can you please give me a step-by-step process. I have images on my computer and I am able to use Webshots. Which is the correct/best way to go?
Thanks
And yes, I can give you step-by-step instructions for using Webshots to post here. 

It looks as though Webshots (like another photo hosting site) wants you to link back to your photo on their site, so is providing the code you need here.   Here's how to get it:

1.  When you're on your image's page, click on the icon that looks like a computer screen with a blue band at the top (if you put your cursor on it, it will say "copy this code to post this photo in a forum"), which will take you to another page that says "post this photo" and shows a window with code info.

2.  On that page, the default is the thumbnail size you posted.  At the top of the window are other choices, labeled in pixel size.  Clicking another size choice changes the code, but not the picture you see.  To check and see if it's the size you want, click the aqua-colored "preview this size" link which will pop-up a window showing the size.  If not, close the window and repeat with a different size choice.

3.  When you have the size you want, copy the code in the window labeled "post in a forum", bring the code back here and paste it in your reply window where you want it without using any of the buttons above the reply window.  That's it!

Note that Webshots gets you to the same code in two places, one of them's described above, the other is a link that's to the right on the images page that says "link to this picture,"  which will open up info below it.  They both work pretty much the same.  If you don't immediately succeed, be sure to tell me which one you're using. ;) ;D)

Here's an example of a picture from webshots (you'll see if you click on it that it will take you to the image's page on Webshots).

Give it a try!  :pinkpom:

Lisa
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 12:30:12 AM by Lisa »

Offline bevaau

« Reply #678 on: September 10, 2011, 06:33:24 AM »
Thanks, Lisa - I got it about half right!

I couldn't copy from the "post this photo" box because the link was too long to see and it woudn't copy it all. So I went back one step and just copied the URL from the address line at the top and pasted that into my message. I then tried a second photo copying what I could see and trying to format it in the same way but that didn't show at all. The copy/paste of the URL line does work if you click on it - it opens my Webshots album at that photo. (The message is in 'BurdaStyle Magazine 3' if you want to check it there.

My question now is:
How to I get the photo to show in the message ie. not have people having to go to my Webshots album to see it? (Not that there is anything very private there but is just another step that others seem to have got around somehow.) Also, I can't see the photo in the preview of my message when I do it that way.

Just tried it again and this is what I got. Looks like I now have two of the same link - not sure how I did that. I clicked on "post to a forum" and then did a copy/paste with whatever was highlighted in the box.

Thanks for your patience!!

ETA: looks like that was the way to go. The picture is small but I will try increasing the size next time.
You are very patient. I am not computer illiterate - I use one all day but this particular combination had me fooled!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 06:36:00 AM by bevaau »

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #679 on: September 10, 2011, 02:16:55 PM »
I clicked on "post to a forum" and then did a copy/paste with whatever was highlighted in the box.

Thanks for your patience!!

ETA: looks like that was the way to go. The picture is small but I will try increasing the size next time.
You are very patient. I am not computer illiterate - I use one all day but this particular combination had me fooled!

That's exactly it! (BBCode, which is part of the software SG uses, can fool one a bit if you're not accustomed to it.) 

I gather that you saw how to pick the size you want and preview the size before you leave WebShots?  (It's a very nice interface :))  If not, let me know and I'll walk you through it. ;) ;D

Separately, when you want to post a picture from somewhere else on the web, the procedure is a bit different.  You'll find it described as "method #2" in "this post." Come back here and give it a try when you're ready! :pinkpom:

Lisa 

Offline margyh

« Reply #680 on: September 10, 2011, 08:57:28 PM »
 :wave3:Waving at DL...yes, I can do everything EXCEPT change my account information. When I have to input my password there, I get a "incorrect password" notice and I can't go any further...

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #681 on: September 10, 2011, 09:12:04 PM »
:wave3:Waving at DL...yes, I can do everything EXCEPT change my account information. When I have to input my password there, I get a "incorrect password" notice and I can't go any further...

Hi Margy, it's me again. :)  You'll find information about how to deal with this "here" (on the Forum Decorum & Handbook (FAQ) thread).

HTH,

Lisa

Offline bevaau

« Reply #682 on: September 11, 2011, 02:29:37 AM »
Lisa - thanks for your help! (Yes, I did find the change size box and it worked.)

Bevaau
You're never too old to learn!

Offline bessiecrocker

« Reply #683 on: September 14, 2011, 06:27:59 PM »
Lisa, I'm thanking you in advance for your help and patience with the technologically impaired.
I am finally going to attempt to learn how to post a photo. Here goes:

=http://www.flickr.com/photos/66664067@N07/

Not working. I used the insert hyperlink. I also tried to use the insert image button: No just read the instructions again, and you say to NOT use the img buttons.

still not working.

I'm trying to follow your instructions on the Decorum and Handbook FAQ thread. When I get to step 3 there is no radio button (that I can find, at least.)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6189/6141495587_e3a1ac42bc_b.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6189/6141495587_e3a1ac42bc_b.jpg

Maybe that is the radio button (mine is at the bottom of the page) Nothing that looks like a size option, but I do think I know how to code in the size here. (Although that requires having the img tags...hm???)

I also have the box to check that says see short url:
http://flic.kr/ps/21UH3M

I'm turning this over to you, because I'm out of options. Thanks for the help.

Offline bessiecrocker

« Reply #684 on: September 14, 2011, 06:32:36 PM »

gonna give it another go....

not working, that has the jpg code between the img tags

6141495587_e3a1ac42bc_b.jpg

totally not working. I'm going back to sewing.

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #685 on: September 14, 2011, 06:36:47 PM »
Give me a few minutes and I'll be back.  I suspect you're not that far off... :)

Lisa

Offline bessiecrocker

« Reply #686 on: September 14, 2011, 06:51:24 PM »
Lisa, take your time. I'm going out to walk the dog. If I don't see your reply tonight, I'll look at it in the morning and take a stab at this again. I could also ask the local IT help (DD) but I am not yet ready to admit total generational defeat and ignorance.

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #687 on: September 14, 2011, 09:49:33 PM »
Hi Bessie!

It sounds to me as if you may need to check your settings for Flickr.  But first, when you click the "Share" button above your photo, do you get this dropdown menu?

If so, click the "Grab the HTML/BBCode" link at the bottom to open that window.  When you do so, it should look like this:

From that second one, make sure the dot is next to "BBCode", pick the size you want, then copy the code from the code window.   

You can see from where I've blacked out code that the code supplied includes the img and url tags you need.  Just copy the whole thing and bring it back and paste it where you want your picture to be.

Give it a try! :pinkpom:  (And if you didn't have the drop-down menu, our next step is to look at your sharing/privacy settings in Flickr.)

Either way, hope to hear from you soon! ;) ;D

Lisa

Offline bessiecrocker

« Reply #688 on: September 15, 2011, 06:48:44 AM »
test 1

DSC00875 - Copy by CH miss, on Flickr

it works!!!!  :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug:

Now I have to figure out how I did it, so I can do it again. When I get the"Share this via" box I seem to get a version (most of the time) without the "Grab the HTML" part.  I opened Flickr a different way this time and found the correct share box right away.  Anyway, it's currently working...thanks for the help.

Offline luz clara

« Reply #689 on: September 29, 2011, 02:28:23 AM »
this is a test

[/url]
Water Resistance 1672 copy by Grey Paws, on Flickr[/img]

Offline luz clara

« Reply #690 on: September 29, 2011, 02:32:14 AM »
another test

Water Resistance 1672 copy by Grey Paws, on Flickr

Offline martha.myers

• My Sewing Projects - A Scrap Book of Sorts
« Reply #691 on: October 24, 2011, 12:51:38 PM »
I am testing to see if I can embed a picture from a web site.

Oh! I think it worked. Here is what I did. I found the picture on the web and copied the URL, pasted to my post. Then I highlighted that URL within my post and clicked the "insert images" icon on the left above the smiley faces. If that is it, then I've mastered something this morning. Hooray!

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #692 on: October 24, 2011, 01:10:17 PM »
You must have right-clicked on that image, Martha, to get it's URL. You didn't use the website's URL, correct? That's how I get the image's URL using Mozilla.

Congrats on getting it to work the first time!

Kathryn

Offline Licarrit

• Trying to find the intersection of Less and Better
« Reply #693 on: November 02, 2011, 05:09:43 PM »

Offline Sandy

• Editor & 1st samplemaker for Cutting Line Designs
« Reply #694 on: November 02, 2011, 06:58:29 PM »
Lisa,

I'm going to try to post a photo from Flicker for the first time.  Here goes!
[/url]
DSCN1105 by Sandy sews1, on Flickr[/img]

Sandy
Sandy Miller
cuttinglinedesigns.com

Offline Sandy

• Editor & 1st samplemaker for Cutting Line Designs
« Reply #695 on: November 02, 2011, 07:00:26 PM »
Lisa,

The URL comes up in my previous post, and I can click on it and get the photo on flicker, but I want to photo to show in my post.  Could you give me some more instructions on how to make that happen?

Thanks for the help.

Sandy
Sandy Miller
cuttinglinedesigns.com

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #696 on: November 02, 2011, 09:42:50 PM »
Sandy, you're extremely close!  You've just got a little bit of extra code at the beginning and the end, which is confusing the software.  Here's what you have:
[img]http://[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/69383871@N06/6306288575/][img]http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6034/6306288575_eab97e3437_m.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/69383871@N06/6306288575/]DSCN1105[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/69383871@N06/]Sandy sews1[/url], on Flickr[/img]
If I take out this at the beginning:
[img]http://and this at the end:
[/img]I end up with this:
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/69383871@N06/6306288575/][img]http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6034/6306288575_eab97e3437_m.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/69383871@N06/6306288575/]DSCN1105[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/69383871@N06/]Sandy sews1[/url], on Flickr
which gets me this:

DSCN1105 by Sandy sews1, on Flickr

Remember that you do not need to use any of the buttons which are over the editing window.  Just the code you get from Flickr. ;) ;D
Please give it another try! :pinkpom:

Lisa

Offline MarcyF

« Reply #697 on: November 06, 2011, 10:21:28 PM »
testing

DSC_0017 by MarcyLF, on Flickr
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 10:27:29 PM by MarcyF »
Marcy

Marcy's flickr photos

Sew Forth and Conquer

" . . . don't let your luggage define your travels."  Shane Koyczan

Offline thisdamselflies

« Reply #698 on: November 16, 2011, 03:38:24 PM »
Testing:

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #699 on: November 16, 2011, 07:25:59 PM »
This topic is long enough! :)  Time for a fresh new sandbox to play in.  Please come over to Sandbox III and continue the fun :pinkpom: :SGheart: :pinkpom:!

Lisa 

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics