Author Topic: Jo-Ann / Michaels Classes  (Read 11138 times)

Offline juney-r

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
    • Juney_R
Jo-Ann / Michaels Classes
« on: November 19, 2009, 09:18:09 PM »
So has anyone taken classes at Jo-Ann's for Michaels?  What did you think of them?  Were they worthwhile for a real beginner? Are there any good, affordable alternatives?

Thanks, all.

Offline BeeBee

• A Million Litte Threads
    • Pastiche
Re: Jo-Ann / Michaels Classes
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 02:36:24 AM »
My single experience was that I signed up for a knitting class on a 1/2 off Saturday.  $17.50 for a 2.5 hour class.  No one else signed up and the class was cancelled.  (No problems with the refund, btw).  But I then found a class at a LYS for $50 for 12 hours of instruction, so even at half price it wasn't such a great deal. 

Offline Carole

• I love to sew, dance, read, and play tennis.
    • Mia's Sewing Room
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 04:08:39 AM »
I took a class at JoAnn's--can't remember why.  It was totally beginner sewing.  While the rest of the class was pressing patterns and finding grainlines, I just sewed up my garment.  I imagine it's all in the instructor.  Mine left me alone, I obviously didn't need her.   For a stone beginner, I would say go ahead.  All information is good.

Offline Madrona

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 06:59:49 AM »
juney-r, i took a series of six 3-hour classes at a local tech college for around $100.  I just signed up for another 10 weeks of 3-hour classes at a different tech college for about $118.  You might check around and see if your parks and rec or local tech colleges have sewing classes available.

Offline the OTHER Mom to 5 aka Tee

• Mama's sewing log
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 05:11:47 PM »
I took a class at JoAnn's--can't remember why.  It was totally beginner sewing.  While the rest of the class was pressing patterns and finding grainlines, I just sewed up my garment.  I imagine it's all in the instructor.  Mine left me alone, I obviously didn't need her.   For a stone beginner, I would say go ahead.  All information is good.

I took a class at JAs and after 3 cancellations/reschedules due to not enough people signing up, I had the same experience as you....folks were learning about pins & how to cut of patterns while I finished my project....  my instructor was pretty hands off to me as well.....

I took a beginner class at G Street in D.C. and while it was too "beginner" for me, it was PREFECT for those who'd never done any sewing at all.... Id highly recommend it...I wish I could fit one of their advanced beginner classes into my schedule

Offline rzberrysun

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 03:08:34 AM »
I just took a class last Saturday @ Jo-Ann's.  Though I did learn some helpful basics, because I'm truly a newbie, but there was much chaos & confusion before the class ever started.  The instructor was 45 minutes late, and wasn't even the person who was supposed to teach the class because the original one was MIA.  I've bought a couple of books and some very easy patterns @ Jo-Anns, have looked up some techniques on youtube, and I may try winging it from there.  The suggestions about checking out local community colleges sounds promising!  :-)

Offline Mauigirl

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 10:58:27 PM »
Expertise seems to vary from store to store, area to area.  I did take one class at JoAnns, it was ok, teacher was fairly organized and her communication was fine, and I was pleased with the way my project turned out.  I have also observed other classes at the same location that were less than successful.  It's difficult for a beginner to evaluate a class ahead of time.  I would try to observe before signing up.  Evaluate whether or not the teaching area is adequate, is the instructor organized, communication skills are important to a students success.  There is no excuse for a teacher not to show up on time.  Whenever I have taught I made sure that I was there very early and well prepared.  Weather, traffic, or family emergency notwithstanding, a teacher owes this to her students.  The store manager should also be aware of the class and it's needs, and if your class wasn't what you expected, communicate  nicely but firmly.  I have never taken a class at Michaels.   

Offline ZackBologna

• Strange but original :]
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 11:03:43 PM »
I just took a class last Saturday @ Jo-Ann's.  Though I did learn some helpful basics, because I'm truly a newbie, but there was much chaos & confusion before the class ever started.  The instructor was 45 minutes late, and wasn't even the person who was supposed to teach the class because the original one was MIA.  I've bought a couple of books and some very easy patterns @ Jo-Anns, have looked up some techniques on youtube, and I may try winging it from there.  The suggestions about checking out local community colleges sounds promising!  :-)

haha it seems like you and I are in the same basic boat. Have you seen those videos on Youtube by MIMI? She does a few on draping garments and putting up style lines on a dress form. I found those to be very interesting and helpful. I bought The Complete Photo Guide to Sewing and have found that to be incredibly helpful! But Sometimes I still look at projects and just have and air of "huh??" But I've very excited nonetheless. I really want to look into taking classes but Joann's is a bit of a drive away. Don't know if I could deal with the confusion though ahah
"If you've got nothing to die for, what have you to live for? "

Offline PBlais

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 05:05:17 PM »
I have taken 4 classes at G-Street Fabrics in Rockville since January and have learned so much.  I had never sewn before, so this was a totally new experience.  My favorite instructor has been Elaine Davis--because she's very knowledgeable, patient and is focused on you learning proper sewing techniques.  She teaches at both the Rockville and Falls Church stores, 7 days week.  (I have learned to make a lined beach bag, pajama bottom, a skirt, blouse, and techniques for seam finishes.  I'm looking forward to her "Basic Dress for Beginners," "Sewing With Knits I," and "Alterations Basics" classes.  I've not heard great things about Joanne's, but I can certainly recommend G-Street. 

Offline Keildra

• Keildra Kreations
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 03:16:59 AM »
I actually teach at my local Jo-Anns, I can tell you the experience will differ with each teacher (you can have the happy fun ones or you could end up with one that has a permanent scowl). Also it differs with skill levels of individual students.
The sewing 101 class I teach covers the bare  basics, how to wind the bobbin, thread the machine, and sew a straight line. There's the bare minimum of pattern reading covered and a tour of the sewing sections of the store, there is no project made. Now the teen sewing 101 class covers the same things but they actually make a simple project.

The advanced classes that actually make a project, again depending on the teacher, may be more like a sewing circle, you can sit there and make the project but if you get stuck you can ask the teacher for help.

Also a tip, have a friend sign up for the class with you, so that the class isn't canceled due to not enough signups. At my Jo-Anns we're required to have at least 2 people signed up or we have to cancel the class. Don't be afraid to request a certain class, or even request certain days for a specific class.
Keep calm and grab the seam ripper

Beginner Pattern Collector
Patterns Owned:59
Patterns Used:5

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics