Author Topic: SWAP 2010 Official Rules  (Read 24815 times)

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
  • The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
    • Your Button Shop
SWAP 2010 Official Rules
« on: October 20, 2009, 06:54:44 PM »
No purchase neccesary anywhere; this contest is open to anyone with a needle and thread, regardless of budget or availability of items.  Just start a thread here to announce your intention to participate as a contestant or to sew along, and tell us about your progress.

Please keep a copy of all images you upload on your hard drive in case SG's server fails or something is accidentally deleted.

Everyone who finishes is a winner.  However, the official winners will be given the option of displaying a ribbon on their profiles.

This year, to accomodate the many different clothing needs of our members, we have three SWAP formats to choose from.  Certainly you may make more than one if you have time, but if you do each finished SWAP must fit one of the three formats.

They are:

Option #1:
6 tops  - t-shirts, shirts, blouses, or camisoles
4 bottoms - jeans, pants, shorts, skirts or kilts.
1 your choice (not an accesory)

Option #2:
2 dresses -single pieces consisting of top and bottom that can be worn alone.
6 tops  - t-shirts, shirts, blouses, or camisoles
2 bottoms - jeans, pants, shorts, skirts or kilts.

Option #3:
5 dresses -single pieces consisting of top and bottom that can be worn alone.
4 tops  - t-shirts, shirts, blouses, or camisoles
1 bottom  - jeans, pants, shorts, skirt or kilt.

2 garments may be purchased or previously sewn.
1 may be knitted or crocheted.

1 will be a matched print or stripe.
1 will feature embroidery, beads or sashiko
1 will have buttons as the star feature OR use unusual or alternative closure(s).  

This year's emphasis is going to be on making a wardrobe that fits your needs, and showcasing your sewing and embellishing skills.  

Sewing will begin December 26th, and all garments must be finished by April 30th, 2010.  Because this is a shorter time frame, pattern fitting and cutting may be done whenever you're ready.

You'll need to take a minimum of six photos, maximum 12 will be required.

The photos may be on you, on a dress form or any other way which shows them well.

You should show how you plan to combine tops and bottoms, and together should show everything. You’ll probably need to photograph some bottoms more than once.

Composites will be allowed, but only if they show details of the same outfit, e.g. a back view, a close up or the “before” photo if you are recycling. You may not show two different outfits on the same photo; such photos won’t be posted!

Please number your photos and then add a brief note to describe each one and when you plan to wear it, e.g. 1) Pink cotton Jalie top with khaki  poly/cotton BWOF pants; weekend shopping.

Details about where the photos will be sent or uploaded will be forthcoming.  

This year, the individual threads will be limited to the owner's storyboard and planning.  Please keep all comments and discussion in the general thread, but post your questions about the rules or requirements here. :)

Edited cause my thinking-in-print accidentally got posted. ;)
Edited again to increase the number of photos to work better.
Edited again to make sense.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 12:15:59 AM by DragonLady »
Looking for the perfect button?  I may have one in my Etsy shop:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/RoadsideAttractions

Offline Marji

Re: SWAP 2010 Official Rules
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 07:40:29 PM »
Whoo Hooo!
Love the rules DL, Thanks.

A question already. Would an exposed zipper application of a Riri zipper be considered an embellishment / special closure?
riri zipper sold at The Sewing Place
Marji

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
    • Your Button Shop
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 07:49:48 PM »
Yes; I think that would qualify. :)

Offline Marji

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 08:16:11 PM »
oh, and for anyone else who, like me, hasn't got the foggiest idea what Sashiko is, I googled it and found some wonderful sources and descriptions.
This is one of the best I found for a tutorial on how to do it as well as providing finished examples of the work.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 08:17:52 PM by Marji »
Marji

Offline theresa in tucson

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 08:42:01 PM »
Yippee, we have rules!  Wonderful, now I will start cutting out my shirts and making sure I have enough fabric for matching.  I love the options Dragonlady but I'm going to have to think about how to do a different closure on a work shirt.  Hmm, maybe do a cowboy double front with unique buttons,  Got time to think though.

Offline PeniG

• All About Peni's Books
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 08:55:41 PM »
Sleeve cuffs with frogs in place of buttons would do for the closure, wouldn't it?

When I made my winter dress and the first inset sleeves I've ever sewn, I didn't make the cuffs quite long enough for where they fell on the arms; rather than rip them off and do them again, I bought gold frogs and sewed them on.  The weather then warmed up so it hasn't been field-tested.  Looks spiffy, though; better than the buttons I'd dug out of my button stash would have.  (It's amazing how easy it is to build a button stash when you're not sewing things that  have buttons.)

I'm thinking about whether I want to participate...probably not.  I don't even have a digital camera, and I've never made slacks before, which are the only bottoms I need.  I'm probably better off going with the plan for training myself to make slacks (first, make a muslin of the pajama bottoms that came with the summer robe pattern; then, make the pajama bottoms as sweat pants; then find a slacks pattern that, based on what I learned, doesn't seem impossible and has pockets and make a muslin of that; then get bottomweight fabric and make the real slacks - that could easily take me all winter, by itself).  But y'all have fun.  I'll sit on the sidelines and eat popcorn.

Offline Licarrit

• Romance writer and minimalist sewer
    • Frugal Closet
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 08:59:04 PM »
Printed them off to look at later (dang work!) >:D
Trying to find the intersection of Less and Better

My Blog: Frugal Closet
http://frugalcloset.blogspot.com

Offline RuthieSews

• RuthieSews, sewing in Derbyshire, England
    • SEW RUTHIE
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 09:43:30 PM »
Oh goody. How exciting!!!

I like that we can cut out beforehand. I might do a thing a bit like WiaW and cut some items out before Christmas and then sew them up in the long week off after Christmas. That will give me half a chance because after that I will be back at work full pelt.

Offline lyra

• west 38th
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 10:32:12 PM »
I'm so glad dresses are in.  ;D  Hooray!

Dumb question about the embroidery/beads component- is it OK to purchase embroided or beaded fabric and use that, or do we have to execute the embroidery/beading?  I've got 10 left thumbs when it comes to sewing embroidery myself, but I certainly know how to buy some fancy embroidered fabric in the garment district and put it to good use.  ;)

Offline Marji

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 10:45:39 PM »
I've had the stereo off so that I can think about these options while in my studio this afternoon. So I'm bubbling with questions.
Great question Lyra, I thought of that too...I've got some great beaded fabric that I'd love to use.

Along another train of thought, getting way ahead of the game here to the end, about pictures.
I love the 3rd option. And I have a whole host of great cottons for summer sundresses. I found that I spent much of my time living on the boat last summer in a sundress or a stretch cotton "jeans" skirt I own, so it really would be in keeping with my lifestyle next summer to make a bunch of sundresses.
The thing is, how do you photograph 5 dresses and one skirt with 4 different tops and NOT put more than one outfit in a photograph if we're limiting photos to 8?

I totally understand about the technology thing and not wanting all these fancy composite photos, but what about wearing one dress while standing next to the dressform which is wearing another dress?

Also, the last item in each option, the "1 of your choice": I'm assuming that that can be another pant or another top or another dress as well as some sort of cover up?
And very last question today: is a knit wrap, such as a lace stole to go over a bunch of sundresses, is that considered a garment or an accessory?

Marji

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
    • Your Button Shop
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 11:41:35 PM »
Dumb question about the embroidery/beads component- is it OK to purchase embroided or beaded fabric and use that, or do we have to execute the embroidery/beading?

Beaded or embroidered fabric is fine.  The point this time around is sewing skills, so I'm hoping everyone will try something new or stitch up some of the fancy stuff we all have stored but rarely put to use. :)

The thing is, how do you photograph 5 dresses and one skirt with 4 different tops and NOT put more than one outfit in a photograph if we're limiting photos to 8?

Whoops...didn't think that through very well, did I?  Okay; let's go with ten photos.  And take one of the bottom with at least two of the tops.  That should (I think) work.

Also, the last item in each option, the "1 of your choice": I'm assuming that that can be another pant or another top or another dress as well as some sort of cover up?

Yes; this "your choice" option is to help fill in holes that you might have.  So another pant or another top would be just fine.

And very last question today: is a knit wrap, such as a lace stole to go over a bunch of sundresses, is that considered a garment or an accessory?

I would consider that a garment.  To me, an accesory is something like a belt or a scarf or an outfit-specific item (like a coverup that matches a bathing suit).  The point is that the last garment should be something to wear that fits in with the rest of the wardrobe and helps pull the whole thing together. :)

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
    • Your Button Shop
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 11:44:33 PM »
I've raised it to twelve photos.  That should work for all the options.  If you run into trouble with it, let me know and we'll work something out.

Offline LauraTS

• Chiral Craft
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 11:50:43 PM »
Wow, I'll have to give this some thought. I'm not much into beading or embroidery, or notice-me closures. Would a pieced fabric work for the embroidery requirement? (Something you pieced yourself, that is.) And, I'm assuming if we choose to do a coat/jacket, it would only go in the 'additional item of choice' slot?

In any case, thanks for posting the rules in plenty of time for us all to ponder our plans.

I blog about sewing at http://chiralcraft.wordpress.com

Do you sew from KnipMode? Join us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/knipmode_english/

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
    • Your Button Shop
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 11:58:19 PM »
Would a pieced fabric work for the embroidery requirement?

Pieced like a tradional quilt?  No.  Pieced like a crazy quilt?  Yes, if the seams are embroidered or beaded on the top.

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
    • Your Button Shop
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2009, 11:59:11 PM »
And, I'm assuming if we choose to do a coat/jacket, it would only go in the 'additional item of choice' slot?

Yes; many folks said they never need or wear a jacket, and many others have commented about wanting one more top or one more bottom instead.

Offline aisling

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2009, 12:12:27 AM »
You'll need to take a minimum of six photos, maximum 12 will be required. A minimum of 6 photos, maximum 8 will be required.

Umm, did this get edited correctly????

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
    • Your Button Shop
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2009, 12:15:12 AM »
You'll need to take a minimum of six photos, maximum 12 will be required. A minimum of 6 photos, maximum 8 will be required.

Umm, did this get edited correctly????

Apparently not.  I think maybe I need a nap.  I was up way too late. :(

Offline Sharon

• Petite and Sewing
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2009, 12:16:10 AM »
Printed them off to look at later (dang work!) >:D

Me too.

Sharon
Sharon, Sydney, Australia

Petite and Sewing

Online KathrynT

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2009, 12:22:03 AM »
Thanks Dragonlady.  Not trying to nit pick, but...

It doesn't mention that every top needs to go with every bottom.  I understand the aim is to sew a cohesive group of clothes, but sometimes (for example) a top can look good with 3 bottoms, but something about the colour or the shape doesn't quite work with the 4th bottom.  Will that be okay? My plan at the moment is to think like a designer and create a collection.

And I'm assuming a second jacket is okay if it can be worn as a stand alone top.

I joined WW so I'm hoping I'll need a whole new wardrobe starting January.  (I figure the more people I tell the more I will be embarrassed if there is not a difference, which will help me keep on track.)

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
    • Your Button Shop
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2009, 12:31:01 AM »
It doesn't mention that every top needs to go with every bottom.  I understand the aim is to sew a cohesive group of clothes, but sometimes (for example) a top can look good with 3 bottoms, but something about the colour or the shape doesn't quite work with the 4th bottom.  Will that be okay? My plan at the moment is to think like a designer and create a collection.

My personal taste is not to make everything completely matchy-matchy.  To me, a cohesive clothing group means being able to choose from multiple outfits that work.  So...to that end, yes, every top should go with every bottom.  There shouldn't be any "stepchildren" that look like they belong to another wardrobe.   

Offline Licarrit

• Frugal Closet
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2009, 12:45:02 AM »
My personal taste is not to make everything completely matchy-matchy.  To me, a cohesive clothing group means being able to choose from multiple outfits that work.  So...to that end, yes, every top should go with every bottom.  There shouldn't be any "stepchildren" that look like they belong to another wardrobe.  

As Tim Gunn said to Michael Knight "it should all look like it belongs in the same closet" kind of idea?

Also, we've talked about the embellishment options some but "matched print or stripe" is the part that has me flummoxed. I have 2 "print" garments in my entire wardrobe. One is a B/W striped Tneck and the other is a leopard print sheath dress that I have never had the guts to actually wear. Yikes! The sewing I can do, the wearing -not without looking like furniture!

Ooh, and one more embellishment question! Would pintucks be acceptable as an embellishment?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 12:56:03 AM by Licarrit »

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
    • Your Button Shop
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2009, 12:54:30 AM »
As Tim Gunn said to Michael Knight "it should all look like it belongs in the same closet" kind of idea?

Yes; that's exactly it.  :)  Thank-you. :)

Offline aisling

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2009, 01:01:05 AM »
Apparently not.  I think maybe I need a nap.  I was up way too late. :(

I can understand that. I haven't had enough sleep last night to the point it took me a bit to figure out that it may have been an editing glitch, perhaps naps are the order of the day.

I'm trying to pin down the definition of embroidery. When you say embroidery, does that include couched designs and the like. I'm not talking about straight trim application (like on chanel jackets)  but more like the jacket on this page - Edwardian Jacket (scroll right down to last set of pictures) where the cord is laid down to create a picture (so to speak). I'm thinking maybe something akin to this done by creating the design, say an abstract botanical, transferring it to the fabric and then either couching the design down by hand or using an underbraider foot on an old singer.

edited to correct url
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 01:03:19 AM by aisling »

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
    • Your Button Shop
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2009, 01:04:33 AM »
I'm trying to pin down the definition of embroidery. When you say embroidery, does that include couched designs and the like. I'm not talking about straight trim application (like on chanel jackets)  but more like the jacket on this page - Edwardian Jacket (scroll down for pictures) where the cord is laid down to create a picture (so to speak). I'm thinking maybe something akin to this done by creating the design, say an abstract botanical, transferring it to the fabric and then either couching the design down by hand or using an underbraider foot on an old singer.

I think that would work.  Also, if you have decorative stitches on your machine, why not play with them a bit? 

Offline Ms. Fine Fabrics

• FineFabrics.com
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2009, 03:00:11 AM »
This will be fun. I have 3-pieces chosen already, and not the black ensemble I expected, so I better get those finished so I can be ready to roll on December 26.

Offline MsFunk

• funkSimile Cinematic Replica Clothing
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2009, 03:18:25 AM »
does the matched stripe or print need to be a straight match?

For example, if I were to make a skirt of striped fabric cut on the bias to create a chevron effect, would this count?

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
    • Your Button Shop
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2009, 04:04:55 AM »
does the matched stripe or print need to be a straight match?

For example, if I were to make a skirt of striped fabric cut on the bias to create a chevron effect, would this count?

Chevron is fine.  Just make sure it matches in as many points as possible.

Offline kitnrose

• My little shop - stop in and have some tea!
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2009, 05:21:15 AM »
Oooh, what fun.   ;D  I didn't think I would, but I love the dress options.  And I love the challenge of matching the stripes/plaids, incorporating embroidery, and stretching myself on fun closures.  Like previous posters my normal milieu is simple and unembellished clothes with invisible zippers or, when I'm daring, small, matching buttons.  So this is a great chance to stretch myself.  I developed my personal style while living in DC and it's always a good day when I wear something besides a black suit and plain colored top.  :) 

Now to figure out which pieces get the embellishments ... hm.  No embroidery machine so it'll have to be by hand (which, personally, I prefer) and I've found I like simple, monochromatic embroidery with nice, large thread.  Patience was never my strong virtue.  :)  And then what fun can I have with closures?  Ooooh, would buckles count?  For a bit of a steampunk feel to a coat? 

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
    • Your Button Shop
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2009, 05:33:10 AM »
Ooooh, would buckles count?  For a bit of a steampunk feel to a coat?

Sure...or broken watches or old rusty bobbins or those hooks you see on screen doors...use your imagination. :)

Offline Jafael

• My 5x2 Closet
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2009, 05:40:40 AM »
I love these rules! There is so much fun in the me, and great ways to expand and stretch my skills, while being exciting. I really do LOVE these rules! And I even have a couple months to plan what I'm going to do! I need all the planning I can get!
Jamie

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
    • Your Button Shop
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2009, 05:42:32 AM »
I'm glad you all like it. :)

Offline RuthieSews

• RuthieSews, sewing in Derbyshire, England
    • SEW RUTHIE
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2009, 07:11:33 AM »
I'm a layers person. I live in a temperate climate and run cool, so almost always wear a sweater/cardigan/jacket over my top, and the thing I found with SWAP in the past was that actually there were not enough over layers, but I understand that the rules have to cater to a large group of people and lots don't wear an over layer apparently.

Jackets are also a pain to sew, and I know the jacket component stressed me out the most last year to the point that although shown in my pictures I did give the jacket away as the fit was just not quite right.

The matching print or stripe sounds quite a challenge. I am almost done on a stripe blouse and working with the stripes has been quite an eye opener for me and definitely requires some skill and attention.

Offline Licarrit

• Frugal Closet
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2009, 11:28:39 AM »
On first reading the minimalist in me groaned! Embellishments! AND Stripes AND Funky Closures Hmmmph! She (I) went to bed (not to sleep, mind you) and played with patterns and fabrics all night. Yes, there is still going to be too much black but most of my wardrobe is and that is what I reach for so... The minimalist in me is now quite content that she will not look like a peacock in all that fluff and may even get to play!

Dragonlady, I modified my post just as you were posting to it -Can I get a ruling on using pintucks as an embellishment?  

Can someone please tell me why I can plan a fall/winter wardrobe in @30seconds (and probably sew it all from stash) and I can't for the life of me work out what I actually wear for spring and summer? That is the wardrobe I actually NEED!

I have already created a web page for my SWAP. If anyone else would also like a website (they're free!) it is drag and drop so no special skills needed. You can get one at www.yola.com NAYY

Edited to correct spelling and to clarify
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 03:00:37 PM by Licarrit »

Offline Myrna

• Myrna Giesbrecht
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2009, 03:01:19 PM »
I'm new to Stitcher's Guild. I'd like to participate in this SWAP but I'm not sure how this format works. I'm more used to Yahoo groups. Is there any way to be notified of postings or any information on how to use the site? LOL - and how will I find your answer. My email is myrna@myrnagiesbrecht.com. Thanks. 

Myrna

Offline Licarrit

• Frugal Closet
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2009, 03:19:14 PM »
Myrna, welcome! you should get an email when someone posts to the thread if you've signed up for notifications.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics