Author Topic: Six-piece autumn collection sew-along  (Read 81854 times)

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
Re: Six-piece autumn collection sew-along
« Reply #525 on: November 08, 2009, 08:24:30 PM »
Mary I love your collection.  What pattern did you use for the vest?
I refuse to tip toe cautiously thru life only to arrive safely at deaths door.
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...  'Oh darn ........ she's awake!!'
Age may wrinkle the face, but lack of enthusiasm wrinkles the soul

Offline MaryOK

• No More Twist!
« Reply #526 on: November 08, 2009, 08:38:38 PM »
Thanks so much, Janis, Marcia, and Stash!

Stash, the pattern is Simplicity 6672, from 1974. 

Marcia, the vest is Nancy Erickson's jacket -- 1945.  I used her newsletter instructions for cutting the lining (use the jacket pieces, cut away 3/4 from the front -- I needed to cut away a little more), but did not follow her instructions for lining the vest and facing the armholes. Instead, I turned under the armhole seam allowance on both the jacket and lining and  hand-stitched the lining to the armhole. I also increased the width of the shoulder seam toward the armhole, to take up extra width needed by a shoulder pad, which I did not use.  I cut the front pieces from alova suede cloth, which was interfaced, and cut the front and facing in one piece, joining the two 1945 pieces on the seam line (to get rid of the rever).  The pocket is just a rectangular patch pocket, from Nancy's 1945B jacket variations.  I set it away from the center piece because I thought there needed to be some space between the purple pocket binding and purple front piece.

Offline stashpanache

• Stash's Sewing Blog
« Reply #527 on: November 08, 2009, 08:46:44 PM »
hehehe....No wonder I loved that dress.  I am sure I had that pattern when it originally came out.
"All things are literally better, lovelier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."  John Ruskin 

"Do all you can with what you have, in the time you have, in the place you are"  Nikosi Johnson

http://sewstashwazzup.blogspot.com/

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #528 on: November 08, 2009, 09:06:38 PM »
MaryOK  I love your collection!  Thanks for sharing. 

Towanda, I take hand work to the living room and complete it while watching TV.  Might that work for you?

Elizabeth I'll try to remember the months grouped into seasons.  I finished one of my Charity quilts last night, complete with binding.  Still can't find the binding for the other.  ( I cut the binding in Autumn at the same time I did the embroideries.  Then put the binding away for safekeeping.  It's so safe I can't find it.)  I'm going to clean up the sewing room today and take some pics (got a new toy to share).  After that I'll do my mending, finish the started embroidery projects and then start my Christmas gifts, only making for 3 people, but also want to make some Christmas home-dec items (seasonally themed chair covers). 

In the process of cleaning I'm going to put away the autumn 6-pac fabrics and start planning winter.  I already know I need to replace some of my pants, so tweaking that pant pattern is a priority.  In the winter I really prefer heavy knits, sweater knits and gawd-forgive me, fleece.  We keep the thermostats set low, even lower in unused rooms, and layer our clothing for a little more warmth.  It always surprises me that there will be days that start with sweaters and end by opening the outside doors to bring in a little cool air.  The house is well insulated,we have a much lower utility bill than most folks in the area.  It's just the way we live our lives that heats up the house.

Offline RuthieSews

• RuthieSews, sewing in Derbyshire, England
    • SEW RUTHIE
« Reply #529 on: November 08, 2009, 09:09:35 PM »
Mary OK, very very nice!

What a beautiful collection. You have produced some gorgeous items there and they work together so well.

Offline KathrynT

« Reply #530 on: November 08, 2009, 09:31:12 PM »
MaryOK, gorgeous collection, my favourite colour too!  I'd love to see a photo of your dress on a real body.  It looks to be a very flattering line.

Ruthie, your "ocean" items are lovely.  I'm sure they look very pretty all together.

Looking forward to everyone's pictures.

Edited to put better adjectives in!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 09:32:57 PM by KathrynT »

Offline Ann

« Reply #531 on: November 08, 2009, 09:40:18 PM »
Even though I am not doing a 6 PAC, I must comment. MaryOk, your items are beautifully coordinated. Enjoy wearing them.

I hope to join in next summer when I have retired. I am working on a storyboard for it and am having problems moving away from a professional wardrobe to a more relaxed one. Should get it right if I take the time to put it together.

Ann
Lives in Ashcroft, BC Canada - Desert climate and often the hot spot in BC and Canada.

Education is a journey, not a race.

Ann's Blogs
http://everythingsewing.blogspot.com/

Offline PNRLori

« Reply #532 on: November 09, 2009, 02:55:16 AM »
Love your collection MaryOK.  The dress brings  back memories.  My sister had this pattern, and I made my dress for high school graduation (1980) by the short version, sleeveless (our caps and gowns were white for the girls and blue for the boys).  I had forgotten this pattern.  I bet my mom still has it somewhere.  It was a great dress.
Lori

Offline Martha Domke

« Reply #533 on: November 09, 2009, 05:16:14 AM »
I probably still have that dress pattern.  Since it was "in" to wear long dresses for daytime, I made the long length.  It was also polyester time then, and I have a very pretty flower print on a pink background.  I loved that dress.  Wonder what I ever did with it?

Offline JenSA

• Jen's Pots & Pins
« Reply #534 on: November 09, 2009, 12:41:36 PM »
mary, I LOVE your collection...its coordinates beautifully, great accessories too.

Offline mardel

• Restingmotion
« Reply #535 on: November 09, 2009, 01:43:17 PM »
Fabulous collection Mary. It all looks so beautifully put together and accessorized. 

Offline Marji

« Reply #536 on: November 09, 2009, 01:46:08 PM »
Mary, Very Pretty!  Love that dress, love the colors and the way you combined fabrics, and the styling on the photo-shoot is also wonderful.
Marji

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #537 on: November 09, 2009, 10:48:10 PM »
That is one of the prettiest collections, Mary! I have always been a fan of your SWAP collections, and this one fits right in with the others in terms of quality, beauty and style.  Enjoy wearing each and every piece!

Kathryn

Offline CanAndi

« Reply #538 on: November 10, 2009, 12:29:52 AM »
Well done everyone thus far.  Very inspirational indeed.

Mary - ditto to all the other comments about the clothing capsule and I'll go one further to say... those shoes are TO DIE FOR!  You are going to be so "put together" from head to toe!

Andrea

Offline MaryOK

• No More Twist!
« Reply #539 on: November 10, 2009, 05:25:50 PM »
Thank you all -- sdBev, Ruthie, KathrynT, Ann, Lori, Jensa, Mardel, Marji, Kathryn, and Andrea --Thank you so much for all your kind words about my capsule.  I wore the tweed skirt and vest yesterday, and enjoyed them very much.  KathrynT, the dress is very comfortable, and yes, it is flattering.  I think it is the kind of dress that would look good on any shape!  It was fun to make, because the pattern instructions were so clear, even including directional sewing lines.

Offline DebbieY

• Debs Needle & Thread
« Reply #540 on: November 10, 2009, 11:08:59 PM »
Well done to everyone who is progressing with their collections, love all the items I've seen so far.

I have finally finished the mini wardrobe I was making for the little girl O/S (shared in this thread http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php/topic,1228.630.html ) and I have to say it was great doing some little girly things for a change (I only have boys). Once I get a few sewing repairs done for the young girl next door (her mother doesn't know what needle and thread are, lol ) and get on top of the never ending housework and a bit of overdue study I should be able to get back to my sewing. I hope to at least complete the two tops I have cut out waiting for attention before time runs out, it is ages since I cut them out but life has been very busy lately. There is no chance of getting 6 pieces done for me but two is better than nothing.

Have a great day everyone, hope you manage to get some sewing done.

Offline JenSA

• Jen's Pots & Pins
« Reply #541 on: November 11, 2009, 08:54:02 PM »
I've finished my black silk blouse. I started it in September & finished the neckline, hem & belt yesterday. It is Simplicity 3887, I've made the pattern numerous times in cotton, but struggled a little with the slippy silk.

Offline RuthieSews

• SEW RUTHIE
« Reply #542 on: November 11, 2009, 09:23:37 PM »
Very pretty!
The silk does look gorgeous, so I reckon it was worth the effort.

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #543 on: November 11, 2009, 10:14:50 PM »
Looks good Jen - silk is touchy to sew with.  Looks like you did a great job.
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...  'Oh darn ........ she's awake!!'

Offline MaryOK

• No More Twist!
« Reply #544 on: November 11, 2009, 10:21:26 PM »
Nice job, Jen!

Offline Janis

• My Blog
« Reply #545 on: November 11, 2009, 10:41:56 PM »
Jen, your blouse turned out beautifully! :)  It looks like silk charmeuse, which is the same material I used to make my burgundy top, so I feel your pain. :P
"This is emphatically not a quick project, just savour the process..."  Ann Rowley

My Blog
http://janssewingroom.wordpress.com

Offline JenSA

• Jen's Pots & Pins
« Reply #546 on: November 12, 2009, 12:58:14 AM »
Thanks all. Yes it is silk charmeuse, I just love its feel, soft and luscious, but yes, hard to sew.

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #547 on: November 12, 2009, 03:25:54 AM »
I've finished my black silk blouse. ...
Oh my gosh Jen that is wonderful!

Offline Sharon

• Petite and Sewing
« Reply #548 on: November 12, 2009, 06:29:43 AM »
Gorgeous blouse Jen.
Sharon, Sydney, Australia

Petite and Sewing

Offline Susan in Saint John

« Reply #549 on: November 13, 2009, 01:25:23 AM »
Thanks all. Yes it is silk charmeuse, I just love its feel, soft and luscious, but yes, hard to sew.

Lovely blouse!  If you're going to be washing silk charmeuse, you can use spray starch on it to make it behave.  Then you wash the starch out.  I haven't done it with silk but I did use it on some slippery rayon.  Some people cut out slippery fabrics with a light weight paper (e.g. tissue) and don't remove the paper until after the seams are sewn. 

Offline RuthieSews

• SEW RUTHIE
« Reply #550 on: November 15, 2009, 06:02:06 PM »
Here's my completed jacket. It still needs a button but I think I am going to cover one with leftover fabric as none of the other options I tried really sang.
The cowl neck velvet top is in the neckline.
The shawl collar can be worn folded down or up as a sort of funnel neckline.

Offline Ann

« Reply #551 on: November 15, 2009, 07:27:00 PM »
Ruthie, your jacket is really cute and I like it with the cowl neck velvet top underneath. All you need to do is add a skirt and you are set for a Christmas party.

I am working on my storyboard and am attaching what I have done. It isn't much but I am looking at what will suit me when I retire. I am not sewing a lot of clothes for me with only 7.5 months left until I am finished teaching.

This slide is my basic wardrobe page which needs a pair of dress pants and a few more tops added to it.

Ann
Lives in Ashcroft, BC Canada - Desert climate and often the hot spot in BC and Canada.

Ann's Blogs

Offline Ann

« Reply #552 on: November 15, 2009, 07:30:09 PM »
This is the start to my Spring/Summer clothes. They will have to work with the previous slide so I can mix and match all I want.

I want to add a short sleeved shirt, shorts, capris, and shoes. Thinking about a purse or bag also.

Colour scheme - chambry blue and navy right now with some cranberry and beige added to it. Need a couple more colours though.

Ann's Blogs

Offline ejvc

• Machine-Knitting Cryptographer and Plan-Bot
  • Me about age 2
    • The Fabulous Dr E's Fabulous Blog
« Reply #553 on: November 15, 2009, 08:26:32 PM »
Ruthie, lovely jacket!  Maybe a silver button or one with a crystal?  You are amazing!  I have been working for three days on a single shirt, and all I have to say is this: David Page Coffin must have been smoking crack when he wrote that book.  OK, that may be rather strong but I ripped out EVERY seam, some up to six times!  AND I had hand-basted them.  Nothing went right.  But the shirt is done, bar buttonholes, buttons, thread trimming and a few tidying stitches.  Mama mia!  I'll show it when it's finished.

Jen, that is an absolutely super top on you.  I love it.

Elizabeth
My blog is at http://ejvc.wordpress.com

Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden!

Offline RuthieSews

• SEW RUTHIE
« Reply #554 on: November 17, 2009, 08:03:36 AM »
Have carried on beavering away and changed the thread in the machines to NAVY for some bottoms. This is from Simplicity 9825.
Still needs the facing, but you get the idea.

Offline RuthieSews

• SEW RUTHIE
« Reply #555 on: November 17, 2009, 08:19:56 AM »
Just seeing how I am doing against the original list

Skirt or trousers (neutral) - almost done, want to make trousers too
3 blouses/tops (1 to match, 2 to complement) - kinda, I've made 3 tops but all are teal
1 Layering top/cardigan (to match skirt/trousers) - nope, and not sure what....
Jacket (co-ordinating neutral) - teal wool jacket

Offline ejvc

• Machine-Knitting Cryptographer and Plan-Bot
  • Me about age 2
    • The Fabulous Dr E's Fabulous Blog
« Reply #556 on: November 17, 2009, 10:20:09 AM »
Hi Ruthie,

Navy skirt (check) so you want some kind of over-layer in navy.  A vest?  And maybe (if you want to) a blouse with some navy in it -- a navy/cream print or something?

The skirt is very pretty -- shorter than your usual?  Will you wear it with boots?

I have some progress to report.  I have nearly finished a very nice cream wool jersey top.  I'm a bit stumped on the hem as it keeps tunnelling with my twin needle and I don't like the way the sleeves have turned out so far, but I have a plan to fix them.  I have a lining fabric at last for my jacket and a plan for the vest as well.

Obviously though the shirt I just put a lot of effort into doesn't go with the collection.  Will I ever learn?
Elizabeth
My blog is at http://ejvc.wordpress.com

Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden!

Offline kbenco

• Queensland, Australia
    • kbenco's projects
« Reply #557 on: November 17, 2009, 11:55:24 AM »
There are such lovely clothes showing up here. Jen, silk charmeuse, with pleats! I am in awe, having previously failed dismally with pleating that 'ornery fabric - and your blouse looks lovely. I am also really liking Ruthie's jacket, skirt, and cowl neck top - is that half the collection, very smart.

Elizabeth, the first shirt I made using David Page Coffin's book took me 3 weeks - that  man is some perfectionist, I felt as if he was looking over my shoulder the whole time and tut-tutting about how wide my flat fell seam was. I guess that is good writing in a way. He certainly inspired plenty of wear and tear on the quick unpick.

I am thinking about the deadline, and what was on my list originally.
BWOF Dec 2008 dress 130, cream and mid brown - done, and I will wear it to a Mocktail party next week with the lace wrap top. This is a left over from the June capsule and does not fit in the plan anyway.

Cardigan style jacket, from cream striped rayon fabric -done, but I have not yet worn it IRL, and don't think I will. Style experiment shall we call it?

Chocolate brown cotton gabardine trousers, Um, no, trousers, what can I say, just not my favourite thing to sew, although I really need trousers

blouse,- no, it is to go with the trousers

several knit tops  2x Vogue 2925 cap sleeve t, 1x Jalie sweetheart citrus mesh top, all into immediate circulation, success

wrap silk jersey dresses - 1.chocolate brown, no
 2. purple, yes, but only worn once. Too bright for me for daytime wear

cheating inclusion of knitted eyelet cardigan - my favourite cardigan of all time

so 4 items, I am including the eyelet cardigan, but not the dresses, so no actual outfit. I need to watch Ruthie more closely and sew with a better plan for the eventual wardrobe.

I also have just finished one summer sheath dress, and have only the hem to do on another, this is not sewing trousers for my plan. However, it is 40 degrees Celcius at the moment, and insubstantial clothing is on my mind. Despite this I publicly announce that I will sew work trousers this weekend and make progress on the 6-PSC. Please hold me to it!

Karen

what I am sewing  - http://kbenco.blogspot.com/

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #558 on: November 17, 2009, 02:09:21 PM »
Elizabeth - many times I'll do a blind hem stitch if my knits are misbehaving. - and sometimes I use the blind hem because I'm too lazy to drag out the coverstitch machine!! ::) ::)

Offline RuthieSews

• SEW RUTHIE
« Reply #559 on: November 17, 2009, 04:01:55 PM »

Elizabeth,
Hope you found a way to hem your top. Could you add light weight knit interfacing into the hem before stitching - it might give enough stability to make the hemming behave.
Did you share the shirt with us? I did not see a photo on the blog, and although I have that DPCoffin book I have not used it in anger.

As to my skirt, its longer than it would appear - it looks very wide flat on a hanger like that. I am allowing for my rear depth and general breadth of hip. lol
But yes a different silhouette than I usually choose and looks great with stretch knee high boots (also navy).

Karen,
It sounds like you have made loads of progress and have nice stuff. I think this whole co-ordinating malarky is a whole lot harder than it is made out to be.
Looking forward to seeing your trousers. I hope to make some too, though I am away for the weekend so it may not be until next week.

So things I want to sew
A pair of trousers (maybe several in the same pattern but different fabric. Either straight leg or wide leg, in either case with a side zip and facing.
A navy cover up - maybe a cozy type thingy? - I think a cardi would get more wear than a waistcoat.
A navy/teal print top - I have fabric not sure on style as its a knit but not that stretchy, would be gorgeous in the cowl neck, would two cowl necks be too many?

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics