Author Topic: Six-piece autumn collection sew-along  (Read 81953 times)

Offline Hen

• sewing in New Zealand
Re: Six-piece autumn collection sew-along
« Reply #420 on: October 21, 2009, 06:44:27 PM »
Thank you for the compliments on my cardigan. Actually it is burgundy and not brown... but you can see a brown one on the what-did-you-wear-today-thread now.
The trim is from organza embroided with metallic thread I think. It was almost too expensive too use it on jogging-fabric, but that was not the plan when I initially bought it.

Online sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #421 on: October 21, 2009, 09:00:55 PM »
I finished my first pair of pants.  Spent way too much time trying to fit a new trouser pattern and finally resorted to using my TNT jeans pattern.  I used the bamboo/microfiber cord.  Which is absolutely luscious.  To make them less jean-like, I changed the front pocket to a slant pocket, discarded the back pocket entirely, and did no topstitching.  I love TNT patterns.  I tried them on and refused to take them off.  They felt so good.  The bamboo has no stretch, so glad I used my woven jean pattern.  No pic, so sorry.  Dark blue jeans, these are almost black, photo about as well as anything truly black.  Meaning, you can't see any details anyway.  But I'm continuing onward. 

Offline stashpanache

• Stash's Sewing Blog
« Reply #422 on: October 22, 2009, 05:01:59 AM »
Oh, Bev!  I am SO HAPPY that you have a pair of pants you love! :applause2: :purple: :confettitoss:  Good on ya!!  Yippee Skippee!!

"All things are literally better, lovelier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."  John Ruskin 

"Do all you can with what you have, in the time you have, in the place you are"  Nikosi Johnson

http://sewstashwazzup.blogspot.com/

Online sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #423 on: October 22, 2009, 03:29:23 PM »
Oh, Bev!  I am SO HAPPY that you have a pair of pants you love! :applause2: :purple: :confettitoss:  Good on ya!!  Yippee Skippee!!

But it's preplexing.  If I this jeans pattern fits, why are the trousers?  I'm going to try and morph the jean into a trouser pattern.  May be a waste of time, but so what?

Offline Susan in Saint John

« Reply #424 on: October 23, 2009, 11:46:14 PM »
If you look at pattern drafting books/software, jeans, pants, and trousers are different drafts--different crotch shapes, different ease, etc.  They fit differently too.  If you compare the patterns, you'll see differences.  Trousers have a longer crotch depth than jeans and more ease through the hips.  Sometimes too much ease can cause fitting problems.

Since you have a jeans pattern that fits, you might want to explore using other "non jeans" fabrics to see how that works.  You've already changed the pocket details to be less "jeans" like.  The zipper could go in the side seam or in the back seam.  You can probably change the leg width some without distorting the fit that you like.  [If I remember correctly, there are people using the Pattern Master Boutique software who use the "jean" draft for all their pants.]

Online sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #425 on: October 24, 2009, 12:54:23 AM »
If you look at pattern drafting books/software, jeans, pants, and trousers are different drafts--different crotch shapes, different ease, etc.  They fit differently too.  If you compare the patterns, you'll see differences.  Trousers have a longer crotch depth than jeans and more ease through the hips.  Sometimes too much ease can cause fitting problems.

Since you have a jeans pattern that fits, you might want to explore using other "non jeans" fabrics to see how that works.  You've already changed the pocket details to be less "jeans" like.  The zipper could go in the side seam or in the back seam.  You can probably change the leg width some without distorting the fit that you like.  [If I remember correctly, there are people using the Pattern Master Boutique software who use the "jean" draft for all their pants.]

Susan

Thanks for the encouragement.  I feel like a fish swimming upstream, but I really want my pants to look good on me.  If that means I must always use a modified jeans cut, then so-be-it. At least, in my mind.  That's why it is really wonderful to read someone else post such encouraging, affirming thoughts.  you make me feel so good I'm sending a big :huggle:

Offline Sewshopper

« Reply #426 on: October 25, 2009, 01:33:01 AM »
I finished my 4th piece.  It is a Pashmina scarf that I changed into a shrug using the Nov. 2007 Threads article titled "Istanbul vest."  I tried the different variety on page 78.  I thought that the sides were not flattering doing it the armseye the way they suggested and wound up slicing it up the side, trimming some off and then turning and topstitching and lapping the front over the back.  I really rather like how it turned out.  I do need to give it a good press, but went ahead and took the pictures.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 01:43:18 AM by Sewshopper »

Offline Sewshopper

« Reply #427 on: October 25, 2009, 02:01:09 AM »

I don't know what the gremlins are when I try to post pictures.  Here is the side view.

Karleene

Offline LauraTS

• Chiral Craft
« Reply #428 on: October 25, 2009, 03:04:31 AM »
Karleene, that looks really striking! And one of my favorite colors. I may have to check out that Threads back issue at my library.

I've not done much on my collection recently, but I'm getting back into the sewing room this weekend. I do have everything cut out, so I just need to get everything constructed. (Oh, is *that* all!  ;D )
I blog about sewing at http://chiralcraft.wordpress.com

Do you sew from KnipMode? Join us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/knipmode_english/

Offline RuthieSews

• RuthieSews, sewing in Derbyshire, England
    • SEW RUTHIE
« Reply #429 on: October 25, 2009, 08:39:43 AM »

My stripe blouse is nearly finished. Since I took this picture I stitched all the buttonholes (5 on the front and 3 on each cuff) and fray checked the backs ready to use the buttonhole chisel on them.
I will experiment today to see if teal thread (to match the buttons) is better than white thread (to match the shirt) and then hand sew all the buttons on.

Offline Sergerqueen

« Reply #430 on: October 25, 2009, 12:46:38 PM »
Karleene-
Nice job on your vest!  I remember that article as I have a large scarf I would like to make something similar with.  Maybe it's time to pull that one out...

Offline Sewshopper

« Reply #431 on: October 25, 2009, 03:58:57 PM »
Thanks, Laura and Sergerqueen.  I need to say that I used yards of Lyla Messenger's ultra-soft Double sided Fusible tape on it.  The fabric is so soft and just twists every which way when you are stitching it.  The tape makes it much more manageable.  It folds up into nothing, so should be great for travel.

Karleene

« Reply #432 on: October 25, 2009, 04:20:03 PM »
My stripe blouse is nearly finished.

Ruthie,

Since matching stripes and embroidery are in the requirements, will this be one of your already made garments for the 2010 SWAP?

Offline RuthieSews

• SEW RUTHIE
« Reply #433 on: October 25, 2009, 04:56:24 PM »
Ruthie,

Since matching stripes and embroidery are in the requirements, will this be one of your already made garments for the 2010 SWAP?

Well Susan, you may be able to see that the stripes don't actually match all that well :-) plus I am thinking of going down a chocolate brown/orange/ivory route for the SWAP so I don't think it'd work all that well.

Don't get me wrong I like the blouse, will wear it and it fits a lot better than RTW (and isn't black, white, pink or blue which is all nice shirts seem to come in for some reason) but I don't think the quality is quite there on this one for the SWAP. It's one of my first goes at working with stripes on a pieced garment (ie not a gathered waist skirt lol).

If I fall out of love with the choc/orange/ivory colour way and instead go for a teal/navy one I also have planned then I guess this could be in, but those stripes just don't chevron how I'd like so....... probably not. (The teal chevrons with the purple on the lower front)

P.S. the blouse now has buttons (teal) and I'm just going to add a few seed beads to the embroidery and it is done.

I fancy a teal knit dress next for the 6PAC.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 05:02:48 PM by RuthieK »

Offline DebbieF

• Thinking couture
« Reply #434 on: October 26, 2009, 03:48:53 PM »
No sewing for myself this weekend.  I did buy some awesome dress patterns with the 99 cent sale at Joanns on McCalls.  My friend came over for me to hem her new top and do a first try on of a dress I'm making for her....The top has a double front and wouldn't you know, I sewed the front to the back when doing the hem....we laughed when she couldn't figure out how to get it on.  There were some changes to her dress, so everything for me was put on the back burner for a while.  I have a bit more of my yellow houndstooth and would love to make a little sheath dress to wear under it, with maybe some olive green shoes and accessories, ala Michelle Obama....very cute.  I think I bought about four different sheath patterns on Saturday, one of which has a waist seam and comes with BCD cup, which will be very helpful.  I am going to try to be better about sewing during the week.  I have a tendendcy to plop in front ofthe TV most evenings.

Offline indigotiger

« Reply #435 on: October 27, 2009, 03:55:21 PM »
I finally made some progress towards my goal of sewing new jumpers to wear this autumn and winter... it only took my going for a long visit to my aged parents in New England; my Mom and I spent several happy days sewing together, I got to spend time sewing on her lovely Bernina, and I now have two new jumpers completed, plus one that only needs pockets added, and a grey chambray overtunic... So by all counts I am now "caught up", yes?

On returning home, I am in a fever to tidy up my sewing corner, and have started clearing off the clutter folding and stacking the fabric and bits that threatened to cover up my sewing space, and am wondering how to take pictures of my new clothes. I dream of someday having a dress form, since clothing on a hanger just doesn't look like much; I suppose that I could try to take my picture in a mirror??  
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Offline RuthieSews

• SEW RUTHIE
« Reply #436 on: October 28, 2009, 02:09:58 PM »
I have started to cut out a teal knit dress.
This will be piece 2 in my 6PAC.

How long have we got for the other 4 pieces? (Must go back to start and read rules)

Online ejvc

• Machine-Knitting Cryptographer and Plan-Bot
  • Me about age 2
    • The Fabulous Dr E's Fabulous Blog
« Reply #437 on: October 28, 2009, 02:15:18 PM »
We have until the end of November.  For you WIAWers, that's a long time!
My blog is at http://ejvc.wordpress.com

Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden!

Offline RuthieSews

• SEW RUTHIE
« Reply #438 on: October 28, 2009, 02:49:44 PM »
Oh well, its looks like my workload at work is a bit more under control so I should be able to sew in the evenings in November and catch up.

In summary: Each season (3 months) you sew six pieces that co-ordinate. If you pick four colours (ideally 3 neutrals and an accent) in a year you *should* have a very easy wardrobe to pick from. But each season would still co-ordinate if you wanted to shift colours between seasons. The collection for Autumn should include:

Skirt or trousers (neutral)
3 blouses/tops (1 to match, 2 to complement)
1 Layering top/cardigan (to match skirt/trousers)
Jacket (co-ordinating neutral)

Oops a dress is not in there after all, well I am going to adapt it for my own purposes then (hope Elizabeth does not mind)
and try and do

1 dress
1 blouse
1 trousers
1 knit top
1 skirt or maybe another top
1 jacket/cardigan

that's still 6pieces

Offline Janis

• My Blog
« Reply #439 on: October 28, 2009, 03:21:21 PM »
Ruthie, I love your blouse!  Very nice.  Karleene, your jacket is beautiful.  I love the drape and the color!

I finished my wool jacket and pants.  I'll try to get some pictures up in the next few days.  That's 3 down and 3 to go.

Today, I'm starting on the off-white knit top.

I think I might actually finish this sew-along, which would be a miracle considering I am the slowest sewist on the planet :P

Finishing would be dangerous, because it might make me think I could actually participate in the 2010 SWAP :o
"This is emphatically not a quick project, just savour the process..."  Ann Rowley

My Blog
http://janssewingroom.wordpress.com

Online ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #440 on: October 28, 2009, 03:21:54 PM »
Well, one can always sew six things that co-ordinate.  I mean, others can :-).  

But I think one of the beauties of the plan is that if you stick to it for a year you get a very diverse wardrobe that still co-ordinates.  So I would tend to treat your teal dress as an extra.  I don't think of teal as a neutral, and I think you aren't planning on making teal trousers to match, so it doesn't work for the layering top.  It could be a "top", if you'll wear it over your neutral trousers, which is a nice idea, and under the matching cardigan.

Just a viewpoint, not meaning to discourage you at all, since as you know I think you sew beautiful stuff.

Regards,

Elizabeth

PS Janis, *I* am the slowest sewist on the planet, thank you very much!

PS, reading this, I also know what my plan has to be:

bottom: houndstooth trousers - almost an oatmeal from a distance (DONE)
layering top to match: houndstooth vest
top to match: heathered cotton oatmeal jersey long-sleeved top
top to complement: cream wool jersey long-sleeved top
2nd top to complement: red rayon jersey long-sleeved top
---> I have in mind the Ottobre Women's pattern with a turtleneck and flounces, and the other with a gathered V-neck and sleeve flounces.  I will de-flounce part of them.
jacket: dark stone colour.  I actually have a purchased jacket that co-ordinates perfectly so I will use that and focus on completing the other items.  Bonus, it comes as part of a matching suit.

I have a lovely brown belt with red detail that will go beautifully, and I'll look into getting a necklace as well to pull things together.

I am actually excited about this!  Maybe my lost sewing mojo will return now!  3 tops from similar patterns and a vest -- I can do that!!!

Online ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #441 on: October 28, 2009, 03:23:52 PM »
PPPPS I will also start a 6-piece Winter sewalong for those, like me, who are swap-incapable.  I think we should make a pretty icon we can include in our signature, one for each collection we complete.  Volunteers to make said icon?

Offline Janis

• My Blog
« Reply #442 on: October 28, 2009, 03:28:50 PM »
I wouldn't know how to make an icon, but I love the idea of a winter sew-along.  That will keep me out of the 2010 SWAP, which really is a good plan.  Maybe next year :D
"This is emphatically not a quick project, just savour the process..."  Ann Rowley

My Blog
http://janssewingroom.wordpress.com

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #443 on: October 28, 2009, 03:34:50 PM »
I'm not even sure what I'm doing anymore!!  I've made the white top, brown pant suit, brown denim slacks, blue denim slacks.  I've cut out a pair of green TJ jeans - so will follow the jeans sew along also - denim jacket to go with slacks, mixit top that will go with the green and brown - a teal LH Bianca sweater - that will go with.....??? - I just really needed to try that pattern! ;D   I don't think I'll commit to another collection sew-along - I'm too easily distracted when a new pattern comes out or I see what someone else has done with a pattern!!  For the most part all of my clothes do coordinate - blue denim is really the only 'odd ball' amongst my clothes!

ETA - It's snowing and a mess here so it's a perfect day to hunker down at the sewing machine!!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 03:36:27 PM by marciae »
If you're doing the best you can under your current circumstances... then kick up your heels and dance

Sometimes when things are falling apart they may actually be falling into place

Online ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #444 on: October 28, 2009, 03:41:54 PM »
Marcia, you make me laugh!  Maybe you don't really need a plan? I know what you mean though. 

Just a thought:  try making a sweater/wrap instead of a jacket, or try making your jean jacket a slightly contrasting shade of denim.

Elizabeth

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #445 on: October 28, 2009, 03:46:51 PM »
Marcia, you make me laugh!  Maybe you don't really need a plan? I know what you mean though. 

Just a thought:  try making a sweater/wrap instead of a jacket, or try making your jean jacket a slightly contrasting shade of denim.

Elizabeth
While that's all a good idea ....... the jacket is a frankenmorph pattern that I want to use for some wools - so this is a "muslin" of sorts as were the denim slacks which I did trying the TJ block - I used a large piece of denim I had in the stash - having to make the lapel facing out of some matching cotton!!  I always 'try' and make my muslins out of something I 'might' wear - if it is wearable.  I'm hoping the jacket works as I have two lovely pieces of "channel type" wool - with brown the predominate color - that I will make into jackets.
If you're doing the best you can under your current circumstances... then kick up your heels and dance

Online sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #446 on: October 28, 2009, 05:08:31 PM »
PPPPS I will also start a 6-piece Winter sewalong for those, like me, who are swap-incapable.  I think we should make a pretty icon we can include in our signature, one for each collection we complete.  ..
Ah good, I still have time to complete my fall collection, I was afraid I had been hopelessly sidetracked by a couple of time draings starting when I tried to correct the fit of my trouser pattern. 

Also glad to see we are already thinking of a Winter sewalong.  I participated in the 2007 SWAP, and it's a really good thing.  If you're considering it, I would encourage you. But for myself I don't want 13 or whatever coordinating pieces.  I found that I wore some of the pieces to death.  Discarded a few when wearing problems developed.  Some I hated and others, I was just blase about.  It was a lot of sewing, and a really good experiece, especially for me at the time.  But I prefer the small collections and the concept known as fill-in-the-blanks.  I'll have to start thinking about the winter collection, as soon as I finish these time-drains.

Offline RuthieSews

• SEW RUTHIE
« Reply #447 on: October 28, 2009, 05:28:57 PM »
Well, one can always sew six things that co-ordinate.  I mean, others can :-).  

But I think one of the beauties of the plan is that if you stick to it for a year you get a very diverse wardrobe that still co-ordinates.  So I would tend to treat your teal dress as an extra.  I don't think of teal as a neutral, and I think you aren't planning on making teal trousers to match, so it doesn't work for the layering top.  It could be a "top", if you'll wear it over your neutral trousers, which is a nice idea, and under the matching cardigan.

Just a viewpoint, not meaning to discourage you at all, since as you know I think you sew beautiful stuff.

Regards,

Elizabeth

No that's a very good point Elizabeth, I had run off without focus there. :run:

Its a shame teal is not a neutral.

So what trouser colour works with a white/teal/purple blouse?
My default neutral is dark chocolate brown, but I am loving dark purple at the moment too - is dark purple a neutral?

Maybe navy would work.......
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 05:35:51 PM by RuthieK »

Online ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #448 on: October 28, 2009, 05:35:43 PM »
I would suggest grey -- it's very "in" and would go with all those. Brown of course.  Even navy would go I think.  Trinny and Susannah have some beautiful navy/teal combos.  They add a lemon colour as I recall, but in accessories.  Dark purple might be workable as a neutral (aubergine etc) but it's not a classic neutral so might not stand the test of time.  Also a light tan would work if you felt like adding a light neutral.

Offline RuthieSews

• SEW RUTHIE
« Reply #449 on: October 28, 2009, 05:39:41 PM »
I don't really love grey unless its very dark, it doesn't work with the warm undertone in my colouring. Navy somehow works better.

(Off musing about navy.........)

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #450 on: October 28, 2009, 05:49:18 PM »
The navy, teal, lemon sounds awesome - - but springy!!  I love dark purple, such as eggplant, aubergine, etc.  As to standing the test of time - wouldn't that be determined by what "you" are comfortable in??

SDBev - I was reading your blog about the quilts - good for you - and such a nice thing to do.  I save all my fairly large scraps but then donate them to a quilting group in Greeley.  I'm just not into quilting - period!! ;D

Online ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #451 on: October 28, 2009, 06:47:13 PM »
Ruthie - olive green?  Just a thought.  Won't work with all teals, but might be good with some.

« Reply #452 on: October 28, 2009, 07:15:23 PM »
I beg to differ.  I think that teal can be a neutral for those of us with autumn colouring [black, navy, grey, blue, white really don't work for me].  I agree that olive green can also be a neutral.  I actually have a couple of prints that combine olive green and teal so they can work together.  In fact, that's the direction my sewing for fall/winter is heading.

Offline RuthieSews

• SEW RUTHIE
« Reply #453 on: October 28, 2009, 10:40:18 PM »
Well in colouring I am a clear spring - basically the contrast a winter has with the dark hair, pale skin and coloured eyes - but the warm undertones.

I have some grey but don't wear it much, it kinda makes me look a bit lifeless.

I think I probably will try and do the teal and navy if I stick with 6 PAC, I may not have the discipline for it at the moment.
I'll do the dress and see where I go after that.

Offline JenSA

• Jen's Pots & Pins
« Reply #454 on: October 28, 2009, 11:23:07 PM »
Teal & navy sounds great together, you can always bring in other colour with accessories.

I've been working consistently on my SW Bamboo shirt this week. I now just have to hem it and make buttonholes. So I sewed my first welt pocket, have tucks and pleats galore and masses of topstitching, all went okay, until I had to set in the sleeves. I don't usually have trouble, but boy was that fabric a B I T C H   :o to work with. A bit slippy.

Now I've had problems with my machine & buttonholes in the past, so I'm holding thumbs I can get them sewn okay.
I really need to get this shirt finished. Once it's done I can change my serger thread & zip up all the black garments I have in my plan.

The shirt's fit is a little big in the back, but I will post pics when it's done to see what y'all think. I suppose it was the intended design.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics