Author Topic: Six-piece autumn collection sew-along  (Read 81221 times)

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
Re: Six-piece autumn collection sew-along
« Reply #350 on: October 06, 2009, 01:41:46 AM »
MaryOK I like both of those patterns.  Can't wait to see your finished results!

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #351 on: October 06, 2009, 01:55:21 AM »
MaryOK, 

I have to tell you, that Simplicity 6672 brought back some real memories.  That's the pattern we used for our college choir gowns.  They were royal blue polyester crepe, and of course we all professed to hate them, but they honestly looked pretty good on any body type or size, and the fabric absolutely did not wrinkle, even if you wore it over your bikini and took it off after an outdoor concert, stuffed it in a tote bag, and headed for Waikiki Beach, which we did on tour once.  8) ;D

Offline MaryOK

• No More Twist!
« Reply #352 on: October 06, 2009, 02:05:34 AM »
Liana, I found your blog entry about that this evening -- that is such a great story!

I wore the sleeveless long version in my friend's wedding in 1978.  I made 10 Chinese ball buttons for 5 dresses.  It was so thoughtful of my friend to select that dress -- I think it cost $13 to make in a seafoam green poly crepe.

I am enjoying the pattern very much -- the guide sheet shows directional sewing lines, stay-stitching the curved edges of the skirt -- all those good sewing habits I have forgotten!  I had originally planned to serge the whole thing together, but I am going to put it together with a narrow zigzag and pink the seam allowances instead. 

My mother thinks it is hilarious that I paid $6-10 for the vintage pattern that we threw away years ago!

Offline aisling

« Reply #353 on: October 06, 2009, 03:44:20 AM »
I haven't made any progress on this (or the jacket I posted in another thread). Unfortunately September succumbed to the bedlam caused by the main income earner no longer being employed (company restructure and loss of jobs including his). Thing are becoming quiter so hopefully stuff will be done soon.

I had good intentions when I visited my parents to start on the tank tops but somehow ended up starting the restoration of an old desk to be used for a cutting table.

Offline Martha Domke

« Reply #354 on: October 06, 2009, 04:48:12 AM »
MaryOK, I had that pattern, and made the long-sleeve version.  It was naturally, a polyester knit.  Pink with a floral print.  I loved that dress!  I couldn't wear poly knit like that now----I would die of the heat!

Offline Lisanne

« Reply #355 on: October 06, 2009, 08:45:17 AM »
Mary - that Simplicity dress is lovely.

It can be good to find old favourites.  I recently found the pattern for a Dior suit I made in the 60s.  Sadly $60 seemed too much to pay just for a bit of nostalgia !
Does this make you feel special  ;D  if not, try something else

Sewingplums
Easy Jackets - mainly links to jacket tutorials, in left menu
Aim for Quality - links to good on-line tutorials for sewing basics

Offline MaryOK

• No More Twist!
« Reply #356 on: October 06, 2009, 11:31:33 AM »
Lisanne, I know what you mean about old favorites.  In the early 1980s, I had a designer pattern (Anne or Calvin Klein, I think) with an Eisenhower jacket and pleated skirt.  I made the skirt, but never made the jacket.  I've been trolling the vintage pattern sites looking for it for a while, and it never seems to come up.  I would die if it was $20 or more!

Offline ejvc

• Machine-Knitting Cryptographer and Plan-Bot
  • Me about age 2
    • The Fabulous Dr E's Fabulous Blog
« Reply #357 on: October 09, 2009, 08:46:36 AM »
Hi everyone, I am making progress on my skirt - the lining is inserted and now just need to tack down the facing, work out the vent at the back and do the hems.

Is anyone else sewing?  Lisanne, how's that tunic coming?  Karen, three items completed and then radio silence!  Marciae has finished a suit and published it on the inspirations thread -- gorgeous! 

Just to remind you (and me) -- in the service of building a handmade wardrobe, really we NEED to have pieces that are appropriate for the season and that co-ordinate.  Hence the six-piece theme, six being a not too onerous number for 3 months of sewing (in my dreams).  I am determined anyway to have AT LEAST one COMPLETE outfit -- top, bottom, and layering top.  AND shoes.  So help me, I am doing the accessory thing.  And this skirt needs a belt.

Elizabeth
My blog is at http://ejvc.wordpress.com

Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden!

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #358 on: October 09, 2009, 03:33:09 PM »
....Is anyone else sewing?  ... I am determined anyway to have AT LEAST one COMPLETE outfit -- top, bottom, and layering top.  AND shoes.  So help me, I am doing the accessory thing.  And this skirt needs a belt.
Elizabeth
Way to go Elizabeth!   I've been posting on another thread should be doing it here.  I'm struggling with pants fitting, Elizabeth has given me some advice that I'm going to work on today.  Once I get these trousers fitted, I can resume working on my autumn collection. 

Offline owara

• Notes from the Sewing Studio
« Reply #359 on: October 09, 2009, 05:19:04 PM »
guilty party here.

not been working on the sew-a-long items.
a friend asked me to make a gown for the local tatler ball end of oct and it was too good an opportunity to pass up.

by way of full disclosure: i don't have a tailoring biz, but do stuff that adds to my portfolio since at some point, i would like to do a degree in fashion design or related (my current course is a diploma). having a tatler gown on my portfolio would, i hope, earn me some brownie points.

this gown is a lot of work: i have to copy the skirt from a designer gown she has and it has 7 godets, a graduated hem from front to back and fishtail. i have never done godets before....yuk! the new design has 2 layers of black tulle over acid yellow taffeta, lace bodice and more tulle up to the shoulders. she wants bits of lace flowers to be cut out to decorate base of skirt and a wrap around sash like the vera gown in the shops (? still trying to figure that one out). she wants some draping to hide perceived fat bits next to the arms, so me and my big mouth suggested a draped symmetrical neckline for more interest. of course, that adds to the work.

will resume and catch up on the sew-alongs after end oct, coz it's going to take me that long to finish this masterpiece of complication.

edited: should have said asymnmetrical neckline and not symmetrical.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 05:21:24 PM by owara »

Offline kbenco

• Queensland, Australia
    • kbenco's projects
« Reply #360 on: October 10, 2009, 01:41:35 AM »
Radio silence? I thought I was being self restrained and not hogging the thread  :D.
Way to go on the skirt, and the suit. Will Marciae post here too? Please? I am a fan of cross posting as it means I miss less eye candy- I do not seem to be able to keep up with all the threads.
 My sewing has been much less sophisticated than the above. I have made some knit tops, which I wore during a short trip down south. I have also bought an accessory. Finding an accessory, IMO, much more difficult than sewing! However, due to the trip last weekend, and a conference next week for which I ambitiously plan to make a pair of trousers and a black evening dress (which will not suit me at all, but it has to be black) I have been remiss with photographs. Can I catch up later? I am still playing. I do not have a whole outfit yet unless you count the dress, which is sort of cheating.  :-\
Karen
what I am sewing  - http://kbenco.blogspot.com/

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #361 on: October 10, 2009, 01:56:03 AM »
.... Finding an accessory, IMO, much more difficult than sewing! ..
Oh my gosh, I must agree.  Good job Karen

Offline Janis

• My Blog
« Reply #362 on: October 10, 2009, 02:42:14 AM »
Good on Elizabeth, Marcia, Karen, and Bev for making progress.  ;D

Guilty?  No, just frustrated.  My pants are a PIA!  For one thing, I'm losing weight as I'm sewing, so that's not working out too well :P  Then, I had a hard time with the zipper, then the lining, then the waistband!  So, now I have to take in the pants and the waistband.

At the same time, I'm working away at my jacket, which is going just fine since I'm taking a class and the instructor is wonderful!  So...nothing to show yet but just wanted you all to know I'm still in.
"This is emphatically not a quick project, just savour the process..."  Ann Rowley

My Blog
http://janssewingroom.wordpress.com

Offline Hen

• sewing in New Zealand
« Reply #363 on: October 10, 2009, 06:59:03 AM »
Is anyone else sewing?
Elizabeth

I have had a bad cold for almost two weeks, so I am behind. I was even too ill to do easy things like pattern tracing. Now I have to catch up with a few things at work. But two tops are almost finished, I hope I can find time for that this weekend. My boyfriend is working on his thesis, I try to regard for that too, our appartment is small.

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #364 on: October 10, 2009, 12:51:24 PM »
Good morning - we've been at the cabin for a week - came home yesterday.  I'm in No. Colo. and it is a bear with ice and sleet this morning.  I'm going to stay in and make up my new CJ pattern - cross your heart top!! ;D  I did post my pant suit on what did I wear today and the NE thread.  I've finished 2 pants, 1 jacket and 1 top.  I LOVE the top - but it's not me - doesn't look that good on - it's keeping Trixie covered.  I also dug out my SW mixit shirt pattern - I'm hoping we'll be home longer than a week so I can get some sewing done!! ;D ;D

SDBev - why don't you post a picture of your pants on the critique board.  I have a lot of comments about 'what' to do but since you're posted on a couple of boards, not sure where to post!! ;D

I did order the T Jansen jean and designer pant pattern - I'm a sucker for pant patterns!! (just in case you hadn't noticed) ::) ::)  I'd rather sew pants than anything! ;D
I refuse to tip toe cautiously thru life only to arrive safely at deaths door.
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...  'Oh darn ........ she's awake!!'
Age may wrinkle the face, but lack of enthusiasm wrinkles the soul

Offline Susan in Saint John

« Reply #365 on: October 10, 2009, 11:31:41 PM »
My pants are a PIA!  For one thing, I'm losing weight as I'm sewing, so that's not working out too well :P  Then, I had a hard time with the zipper, then the lining, then the waistband!  So, now I have to take in the pants and the waistband.

Did you split your waistband at the back (like men's and some Burda's)?  That makes taking in a bit easier.  The other place to take in is on the inseams if you need to shorten the crotch depth/length.

Had you contemplated a simpler pant like the Louise Cutting One Seams?  She says there good for about a 20# weight variation.

Six of us got together today and draped blocks for our little black dresses (using the Simon Henry book).  Next step is to make these into a sleeveless princess dress block and check the fit.  Then we'll tackle sleeves.  This process is going to take longer than I had originally expected.  However, I expect it will be worth it.

My plan for the next 2 days is to sew with time out to cook (Canadian) Thanksgiving dinner.  Monday is a holiday so that's an extra sewing day.  I have 4 garments cut out so we'll see how much progress I can make.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 11:41:29 PM by Susan in Saint John »

Offline Sewshopper

« Reply #366 on: October 11, 2009, 12:26:05 AM »
I have finished 2 tops.  One was in my original plan, but the second is a LH Bianca with an old Great Copy neckline.  I have been looking for different necklines and this has always been one of my favorites.  The fabric is from my stash but if I recall correctly from Sawyer Brooks.  The second top is the LH Bergman.  It has become one of my favorite tops.  The fabric is from when Marsha Day sold fabric on Textile Studio.  Both have turned out well.  I have one more tee cut out and also black LH Cruise pants.  Hopefully my pace will pick up!!

Keep on keeping on!!
Karleene

Offline Sewshopper

« Reply #367 on: October 11, 2009, 12:41:13 AM »
Curious why pictures were not larger.

Offline Sewshopper

« Reply #368 on: October 11, 2009, 12:43:03 AM »
Not sure what happenned.

Ok, that is better.
Karleene

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #369 on: October 11, 2009, 01:21:00 AM »
Great tops Karleen!  I worked on my CJ cross your heart top today - what a disaster ::)  I took out too much in the length, sewed the fronts backwards - AND - even serged before I caught it.  After I put the front piece in and tried it on it looks like that front panel hangs immediately under the girsl.  I need to put the sleeves in - but I make not!! ;D  Most of it was operater error but I'm not sure that style is for my slightly rounded bod??  I may try the V neck tomorrow.  I wear knit tops all the time and I thought these would dress up better!  I need to pull those LH patterns and compare to your photos.  I hate to keep making "plain ole T's" !! ;D ;D
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...  'Oh darn ........ she's awake!!'

Offline Sewshopper

« Reply #370 on: October 11, 2009, 02:45:25 AM »
marciae, I had that kind of day with the TSW Now a couple weeks ago.  I stitched the sleeve in wrong side out (they have you French seam them.)  By the time I got them all picked, adjusted for the fabric cut off and sewed back up, I was a basket case but fortunately it was a stable rayon batik and when finished, nobody would know.

I really like the LH patterns for fit, she puts some subtle shaping in them.  On the Bergman, it needs to have fabric with some give otherwise, you need to go up a size or maybe more.  I also dropped the center front neckline about 1/2 inch.

Karleene

Offline RuthieSews

• RuthieSews, sewing in Derbyshire, England
    • SEW RUTHIE
« Reply #371 on: October 11, 2009, 06:39:57 AM »
I have been worked hard, and doing things with my weekends, and am currently away for 4 days combo work/family so have made no sewing progress for ages :-(

I've made some earrings and bought some accessories, but sewing is not quite making it up the list. I guess I need to just buckle down and finish my stripe blouse and then can do something new which piques my interest.

Please do share what you are all sewing that always helps.

Offline ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #372 on: October 11, 2009, 07:33:54 AM »
I went to a sewing expo yesterday, well really more like a knitting expo, but it was fun and I got to see a bunch of machines and get some overlockers demo'd.  I am going to ask for one for Christmas, and I wanted to have a little sew on some of them before deciding. 

where am I on sewing?  Skirt is lined and awaiting hems.  Some UFO trousers I found are awaiting a waist facing and hems.  I cut some new trousers, the ones that were ORIGINALLY in my 6-PAC plan, because I need trousers.  These I managed to mis-cut and now have to add a yoke to the back waist, which is very irritating and discouraging.  My navy blouse is awaiting sleeves.  In other words everything is in the middle of things, my least favourite state! 

Sewshopper, nice tops.

Marciae -- argh.

RuthieK -- I think your stripe top in progress looks pretty dynamite.

Elizabeth

Offline Hen

• sewing in New Zealand
« Reply #373 on: October 11, 2009, 12:08:06 PM »
I finished my burgundy cardigan today, so now I have one top and one layering top finished, and one top almost finished.

Photos when I have new batteries for my camera.

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #374 on: October 11, 2009, 01:58:02 PM »
I just realized what's wrong here  - - we're sewing for Autumn and it's turned to an artic blast!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:  I haven't got past the notion that it's not summer!  However - it's supposed to get to 45 here today!!

I have the Bergman Blouse but not the bianca  :o - however, I think I'm going back to my TNT and make a couple of tops.  I pulled out some nice wool yesterday  ;D so 'might' cut out a pair of warm slacks.  I'm also thinking I might just go shopping today  :o :o.  SO will be at the Bronco's game and maybe I'd get some new ideas.  In any case I'm not fooling with the CJ top today!!

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #375 on: October 11, 2009, 03:09:30 PM »
Curious why pictures were not larger.
Not sure what happenned.
[...]
Ok, that is better.
Hi Karleene!

Looks like you've got it figured out...but if you're not sure, check in with us at the Sandbox and we can work on it. :)  You just used the url for the thumbnails the first time, instead of going to the "all sizes" page for the image and making your choice, or going to the page for the individual image and pulling the url code from there. :pinkpom:

BTW, if you have something like that happen again, you can always edit your post to make the change in the code in your original post! ;) ;D

HTH,

Lisa
Found: a favorite silver bracelet that I hadn't seen for a while.  On its four quarters it says "Welcome Introspection; Accept Wisdom; Seek Illumination; Embrace Innocence."   It's like a "magic 8-ball" on the wrist...

Offline Towanda

• Baltimore , Maryland
    • Life is sew sew good
« Reply #376 on: October 11, 2009, 03:18:15 PM »
Sixpac- ZERO, frustration - over the top. I bought a vintage Singer and a buttonholer since the ones on the Viking are the pits. For the life of me, I can't get consistent buttonholes. I am using a stretch cotton and I've tried every trick that I know. I practice a couple buttonholes and they look alright then I go to sew the blouse and then disaster happens. I'm sick of frogstitching black fabric.

The only good thing that I have accomplished since this sewalong started is to learn how to use the blindhemmer machine. This took a week and it almost got pitched out the window. After looking at a video on youtube, I figured out what I was doing wrong. I managed to hem three pairs of wearable muslin pants. They just need buttons and snaps added. The pants are not part of my collection. I think that I have a pants pattern that I like but I overfitted the last pair. Ugh.

Venting here has helped my frustrations, thanks. I think that I will leave the top alone for now and move on. The next thing on the cutting table is another top that needs buttonholes. I think that I will make the top and leave the buttonholes for later. After that I'll work on some knit tops so I feel that I accomplished something.
http://lifeissewsewgood.blogspot.com/
Happiness is an endless fabric budget

Offline ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #377 on: October 11, 2009, 04:20:46 PM »
You know, local tailors will sometimes do buttonholes.  I heard of someone having them done for 25 cents a pop.  Maybe you could call around and see.  Why not just send your little piece of h**l away for help?

Elizabeth

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #378 on: October 11, 2009, 05:21:50 PM »
Towanda - sorry to hear about the Viking problem - I have three of them and have problems with the Rose only - and that's with the automatic one.  I use the embroidery stabilizer under and the water soluble "stuff" on top - solvy I think.  Also the original dealer told me to use jeans needles as they are sharper - but a lady in a fabric store sold me some needles for stretch fabric.  Makes a lot of difference on the Rose and on a Pfaff that I have - no difference on the other two vikings.  I do understand your frustration.

Offline Towanda

• Baltimore , Maryland
    • Life is sew sew good
« Reply #379 on: October 11, 2009, 11:13:29 PM »
I wanted to report back in. After I posted earlier, I went back in, sat down in front of the machine and said a prayer.  The last two buttonholes turned out fine. I lined up the buttons on the shirt against the buttonholes. Lightbulb moment, the buttons hid most of the holes so you won't really seem them that much. Then I hung the blouse up and it passed the three feet mark. Done is good enough. Sometime this week, I'll sew the buttons on. Tonight I'm working on the second blouse from the same fabric. Think that I would learn my lesson and quit when I'm ahead. I refuse to let this defeat me.

Thanks for the cyber support.
http://lifeissewsewgood.blogspot.com/
Happiness is an endless fabric budget

Offline Sewshopper

« Reply #380 on: October 11, 2009, 11:59:55 PM »
Lisa, thanks for the support on the picture posting, somehow, my experiences keep changing.  I am not always sure just where I had the glitch, but with all your and Kathryn's help, I may just become picture posting literate!!

Thanks for liking my tops ejvc and marciae and anyone else.  You know this group does keep the momentum up.  The weather change around here makes me feel like I may just need to move on to winter, rather than autumn...  I guess I can always layer with silk underwear.

Karleene

Offline DebbieY

• Debs Needle & Thread
« Reply #381 on: October 12, 2009, 04:04:51 AM »
Well still no sewing here.

I have the two tops previously mentioned still waiting to be sewn up but I have one of the boys home with a stomach bug and I can't concentrate enough to sew. I have however cut out the pattern for a pair of Marcy Tilton vogue pants. No doubt I need to alter the pattern and increase the length etc. but it's a relatively loose fitting pair of pants so hopefully I can get away without too much fitting (?). I have not sewn pants since I could make them straight from the pattern and that was some time ago, so these might end up being nothing more than a learning experience. I am not going to attempt altering the pattern today, it can wait till son is back at school and hopefully a time when the little one is asleep so I can think straight.

For now it's off back to the pattern folder to think about pieces, 4, 5 and 6.

Offline ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #382 on: October 12, 2009, 07:44:27 AM »
DebbieY -- I have made a lot of trousers in the recent past.  One thing I absolutely recommend is measuring the vertical depth between your seat and your waist -- sometimes called the "rise", sometimes the "crotch depth."  The way normally recommended is to sit on a hard chair and put a plastic ruler next to you and see how high it is to your waist.  You probably could also measure a pair of well-fitting trousers.   Then check the pattern -- it should say "finished trousers are 1" below natural waist" or "at natural waist" or whatever.  Draw a horizontal line from the crotch and measure up to the waist seam.  This measurement varies widely among people and also in the pattern blocks, and materially affects the fit of the trousers.  It's easy to alter, but only at the pattern stage.

I also recommend you cut seam allowances extra wide on the side seams and inseams for "fit insurance" :-)

Elizabeth

Offline MaryOK

• No More Twist!
« Reply #383 on: October 12, 2009, 11:42:20 AM »
Towanda, good for you!  I think it is a great idea to jump right in and tackle the next shirt!  If you haven't tried using a stabilizer like Rinsaway or Solvy, give that a try (sorry if I am repeating earlier advice -- I have not read this thread closely for several days) -- it really makes a difference for me.  I also change my needle when I start sewing buttonholes.

I finished my dress Saturday night and wore it to church yesterday.  It felt wonderful.  Started right in on item #4, a tweed pencil skirt.  I think this will go pretty quickly.

I agree, having this group really keeps me motivated to keep sewing!

Offline DebbieF

• Thinking couture
« Reply #384 on: October 12, 2009, 01:01:19 PM »
Back on track!!!!  Finished another piece this weekend.  McCall's Anne Taylor/knockoff shell with a ruffle at the neck.  It's McCalls http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M5977.htm?tab=tops_vests&page=1 View A.  It's a pretty periwinkle blue.  It was a nightmare fabric to work with, it is a "Silky Solid" from Joann's and it frayed and sent little blue fibers everywhere, (including in my eyes!!!) and I ended up doing a lot of hand sewing, but it's very pretty.  It will go great with all the black and gray I have planned.  I have seen this shell done by Ann Taylor in every magazine this fall, and it's so pretty and ladylike.  I plan on making another one, but the next will have a different neck ruffle, and I would love to make it in a silk crepe....

I also changed my wrap dress a bit.  The print is so busy that the waist tie blends in with the fabric and the dress looks abit bland, so I removed the ties and put hooks on each side of the wrap to fasten it and will wear it with a nice black belt.  

I rearranged my sewing space on Saturday and went over to Joann's to pick up some Simplicity patterns while they were on sale, then I cut out and started sewing my shell.  I spent a little time last night doing some hemming and mending, so all in all, it was another sewing weekend!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 01:03:20 PM by DebbieF »

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics