Author Topic: Six-piece autumn collection sew-along  (Read 80673 times)

Offline odawa

Re: Six-piece autumn collection sew-along
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2009, 08:13:43 PM »
I think I might try this.  I could use some nice separates.  I'll have to see about a color scheme though.  I'd like to coordinate with what I already own.  Mostly, chocolate browns and greens.  any ideas???  I'm not a fan of reds or oranges, they do horrible things to my complexion.  lol!!

Offline Susan in Saint John

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2009, 11:07:54 PM »
teal and turquoise?

Offline The Wilted Magnolia

• The Wilted Magnolia
  • Brenda
    • The Wilted Magnolia
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2009, 11:26:57 PM »
I second that! Love teal and brown together.

I finally got my fabrics picked out.  I was determined to use out of my stash!

You can see the pics on my flicker page.  I'm trying for a link.

Who knew CABBAGES would be so inspiring?? LOL

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16482433@N04/
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 11:30:37 PM by BC Designs »

Offline LauraTS

• Chiral Craft
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2009, 06:03:24 AM »
BC, your color scheme is sharp and sophisticated, very autumnal but not stereotypically so.

Odawa, I never wear red or orange either. With chocolate brown and greens I'd go with either ivory or white, depending on the shades of the greens, or throw in some teals or aquas in there, and maybe a buff/tan.
I blog about sewing at http://chiralcraft.wordpress.com

Do you sew from KnipMode? Join us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/knipmode_english/

Offline Jafael

• My 5x2 Closet
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2009, 09:01:06 AM »
I'm beginning to realize that maybe a SWAP and a WIAW are too much for me! LOL! This sew along sounds perfect, especially as it gives me somewhere to aim, yet has no pressure, so I can simply accomplish what I can! I've tried to take a good look at my existing wardrobe, and I inventoried it. The results were shocking to me, and it's made me rethink the pieces I need first and most. There are some glaring needs. This sew along will be perfect to fill the gaps!
Jamie

Offline ejvc

• Machine-Knitting Cryptographer and Plan-Bot
  • Me about age 2
    • The Fabulous Dr E's Fabulous Blog
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2009, 09:19:07 AM »
Jafael, I'm curious, how did you inventory and what did you find?

Re, no pressure, shall we still set ourselves some goals?  How about two things finished by the end of September.  I will aim to make my knitted vest and finish my UFO navy top.  What two things will you do?

I went out yesterday and purchased clothes!  I wouldn't normally but my sister is getting married in two weeks and she told me about 2 days before we left on holiday.  Anyway I just wasn't equal to the task so I bought an LBD (to wear to the party).  I still have to find something to wear to the wedding itself (I can't wear black to a wedding!  although I know people do).  Anyway it was rather expensive and would be relatively easy to sew, so I'm psyched to make some copies :-)

Elizabeth
My blog is at http://ejvc.wordpress.com

Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden!

Offline odawa

« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2009, 12:15:56 PM »
I like the idea of teal.  That would be so pretty.  I also wear jeans so I have to count denim blues as a color. 

Offline Carole

• I love to sew, dance, read, and play tennis.
    • Mia's Sewing Room
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2009, 01:59:06 PM »
My all time favorite color combination is chocolate brown with ice blue.

• The Wilted Magnolia
  • Brenda
    • The Wilted Magnolia
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2009, 02:52:17 PM »
Thanks Laura!  What a nice way to say "different"! LOL  My sewing machine spits out dull colors. Refuses to sew them.  ;)

I went out yesterday and purchased clothes! 
Elizabeth

Way to sew-along Elizabeth!  :rotfl:   Kidding!  Just kidding! What does the LBD look  like?

Offline odawa

« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2009, 03:12:18 PM »
I've been out buying jeans, there have been some really good sales lately.  I recently lost weight and almost wont be shopping at Lane Bryants anymore  WOO HOO!!!  I'm trying to find outfits that I can adjust as I lose weight.  Add to it, I'm tall.  5'11 and shopping is not so much fun anymore  lol 

Offline Janis

• My Blog
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2009, 03:29:36 PM »
BC, I love your color combination.  I would never have thought of it, but it's so lovely.  I so admire folks who can put unexpected colors together and have it be so beautiful.

Carolyn, I agree about the brown and ice blue.  I also like brown and pink or or raspberry.  Odawa, the teal will be pretty, too.

I found my jacket fabric yesterday.  It ended up being a light gray, medium gray, black tweedy wool.  The overall look is light gray.  I love it.  I realized that I needed to get that fabric before I could put the rest of the capsule together.  When I was at the fabric store, I was walking around with the bolt holding it up to other colors, and decided I really like it with a soft pink.  So pink will be one of the other colors.

I'm currently working on the muslin for one of the pants, so I think the gray pants will be my first project, to be completed by the end of September.  Like you Elizabeth, I've got that sweater to finish, so that might be another September project.

This is very fun!
"This is emphatically not a quick project, just savour the process..."  Ann Rowley

My Blog
http://janssewingroom.wordpress.com

Offline indigotiger

« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2009, 04:07:13 PM »
I'm really enjoying the various colorways that folks are choosing for their autumn collections... While I love the brighter colors, I've noticed that when I wear say - purple, or cobalt, I get comments like "what a pretty color"; when I wear my dust colors I get comments like "you look nice today" or "I love your clothing" I think that as my hair has greyed over the years, that the brighter colors aren't working for me as well as they did when I was younger, since there is less contrast in my coloring overall... Anyone else out there had to change their color palette over the years? I'm probably going to stay with the grey/taupe/indigo/chocolate mix that does well for me. I'm hoping to use stash fabrics that I have had sitting on the shelf for almost a year, intending to do a project just like this...

Here are my sketches, as a kind of mini-storyboard:

SWAP10 by fjorlief, on Flickr

1. This is my go-to pattern, I've made many many of these over the years. It is actually based on a Viking Age over-dress, modified a bit for modern wear. Four panels, added gores, patch pockets and edge-binding that becomes spaghetti straps.

2. This style looks nice in corduroy. Sometimes I use "cheater" bound edge buttonholes for the pocket openings.

3. This is an old favorite pattern, which I recently re-found while tidying up my sewing things. It works well in just about any fabric, as it has enough shaping to look well in fabric with a lot of body, and enough of a flared skirt to work in softer fabric as well. I just made it up in black silk noil to wear to a summer LBD party earlier this year.

4. This is the new pattern that I just bought - Simplicity 2840 - I have no idea how it will look when I wear it, but it reminds me of an old Betsey Johnson design jumper that I sewed and loved in high school. I can tell that with those bodice gathers it will need some really drapey fabric. I plan on adding side-seam pockets, since soft fabrics don't do well with patch pockets

5. This is the other option with that pattern - I'm really not sure about this one. One of my friends thinks it will look really good; I've never worn anything with that kind of a bodice...

6. This is my "overall" jumper. I had fun re-combining several old garments and came up with this, a variation on the old trick of turning pair of jeans into a skirt. I've gotten a surprising number of compliments on it, and want to turn it into a pattern and make another one.

I haven't chosen which fabrics I'll be using for which jumper. I just noticed that the new pattern, (#4 and #5) calls for knit fabric, I don't know how I missed that when I was buying it. I don't have any knit fabric that is suitable for either fitting the pattern or actually making it to wear... Mostly I use knits to make t-shirts, I spent a whole winter about six years ago working out a pattern that actually fit me and looked attractive. Hmmm, what to do...?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 10:33:57 PM by indigotiger »
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Offline ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2009, 04:29:26 PM »
Indigo junction, I love your sketches.  My suggestion is that since 4 and 5 are intended (you said) to take you out of your comfort zone, you go for it and purchase some knits.

I know that you said you have enough tops to go with these jumpers, but I wonder if you have or need layering tops such as jackets or long cardigans? Because with this you will create six separate looks; maybe it would give more variety to have a layering piece? Or maybe an accessory like a belt or pin would be fun.  But if you don't need other pieces, then by all means don't use them.  Another possibility is to wear a jumper over trousers - but you'd need to make a shorter one.  Anyway, please ignore all this if you like of course, I just have an innate predisposition for variety :-)

Elizabeth

Offline owara

• Notes from the Sewing Studio
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2009, 04:52:56 PM »
i had my colours done years ago and i was categorised as a deep, but over the years i think i have become a muted deep if there is such a thing (?).  my very dark hair made me look like someone who had been dragged out of the grave, so i am now on the darker side of mid-brown. to my surprise, i can now wear khaki's and oranges which made me look awful before.

nice sketches. can't wait to see how everyone's collections turns out.

shame about the knit, indigotiger.
if you are still planning on using something from the stash, could you exchange the pattern for a similar one for wovens?

well, i have been trudging through fabric shops and haven't had much luck finding a deep greyish-taupe linen for my trousers and skirt. so i bought khaki instead, which does NOT go with the green silk i planned. at the shops i suddenly had a change of heart and decided that the dress would nice in linen too, but i couldn't make up my mind. so i now have:

- 5 metres of khaki linen (enough for trousers, skirt and dress)
- 3.5  metres of burnt orange silk satin (enough for top & dress)
- 1 metre of lemongrass silk satin
- 1.5 metres of khaki silk satin

my credit card company is just going to love me.

jean
http://notesfromthesewingstudio.blogspot.com/

Offline indigotiger

« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2009, 05:06:12 PM »
Thanks for the feedback evjc -  You are right about #4 and #5 being a bit outside my comfort zone style-wise...I've decided to purchase some suitable knit for them, but first probably look for some really inexpensive fabric for the trial muslin, maybe one of those jersey knit bedsheets. Since I am quite short and curvy, with tiny shoulders,(5'2",size 22 bust, size 4 shoulders) I always have to adjust commercial patterns (when I made a jean jacket, I had to make five trial garments before I was satisfied with the fit). I want to expand my options, but not use spendy fabric and not wear it, so trial garments will be the way to go...

I recently did an inventory of my currently wearable clothing, which is why I decided that I didn't need to sew any more knit tops or blouses. I may make some of these jumpers shorter, like around knee length, so they can be worn over slightly longer dresses. I am quite enamored of, and inspired by, the styles and designs of Gudrun Sjoden the Swedish designer, but since the budget does not allow, I am glad that I like to sew...

Once I have a good assortment of jumpers, which are my basic daily garment, I may think about sewing myself a really creative jacket. I have some basics already, the jeans jacket, a linen wrap jacket in nice heavy textured taupe, and several hand-knitted cardigans...

I almost never wear pants... no particular reason, just not my style
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

• The Wilted Magnolia
  • Brenda
    • The Wilted Magnolia
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2009, 05:10:17 PM »
Anyone else out there had to change their color palette over the years?

As I've gotten older...sigh....I've had to delete navy, black and white completly from my closet.    Drains every bit of color from my face!  I look best in clear, medium toned colors.  In my twenties I wore pastels, certainly not happening now! LOL  If I quit dying my hair (SO NOT HAPPENING!) I'm sure I would have to adjust the colors again to compensate for the gray that would be there!

Isn't it nice we can create our own color ways, regardless of the current trends! Always interesting to see what everyone comes up with!

Offline JenSA

• Jen's Pots & Pins
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2009, 05:11:27 PM »
I'd love to play along. I've been living in dresses and would like at least one piece to be a dress. I'll be travelling back home (South Africa) in Dec, so I'd love a coordinated wardrobe for that. Although it'll be Autumn/Winter up here in Canada, it'll be beautiful down there. I think I'd like to continue the colour scheme of my WiaW, which is tan & green. But no fixed plans yet.
Jen

Offline ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2009, 05:36:09 PM »
Personally I NEVER wear skirts and dresses, practically.  Because I don't like my legs, don't have the right shoes, not in the habit etc etc.  I do plan to change this, but when?  It's so difficult to change habit.  So I totally understand, inidigojunction.  Plus, trousers are so difficult to buy.  I've concentrated most of my attention on sewing trousers so now I feel very confident making them -- but it's taken a while, for sure.

Re colours - I used to be able to wear clear colours but my hair is very grey and peppery now, and I don't want to dye it, so I find I need more heathery and muted colours to go with it.  I can still wear bright blues because of my eyes though.

Elizabeth

Offline Janis

• My Blog
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2009, 06:00:41 PM »
indigotiger, I love your storyboard!  It's interesting to me how everyone is going about this task.  You started with the patterns and styles.  BC and Elizabeth started with colors.  I tried that, but got stuck.  So, I'm starting with fabric.  I'm sure that's backwards, but hopefully, it will work.

Yes, my colors have changed over time.  When I was younger, I could wear deeper, jewel tone colors.  The older I get, the better I look in very soft, muted colors.
"This is emphatically not a quick project, just savour the process..."  Ann Rowley

My Blog

• The Wilted Magnolia
  • Brenda
    • The Wilted Magnolia
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2009, 07:20:53 PM »
Isn't that funny? Didn't even think about it till you said something.  I have always started with colors/fabrics.  They inspire me first, then I hunt the perfect pattern.  I like to "shop" in my stash!

www.fashionfabricsclub.com has a l5% off sale on all their fabrics.  Just in case we needed MORE colors for our sew-along..... >:D   Next time Ann has a sale on her knits at Gorgeous fabrics I'll be grabbing a piece of that purple jersey for leggings, to go with the print sweater knit in my capsule.  Which also came from her!  Hmmm...so did my other print....imagine that! LOL
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 07:24:13 PM by BC Designs »

Offline miranda

« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2009, 01:48:35 AM »
Hi everyone

I've been MIA for a long while now: very busy, a bit of a bug, followed by a lovely trip, followed by a complete lack of mojo.  (On the other hand, I'm now spending that sewing time learning a new language so it's not all bad!)

Am wondering about this sewalong, although I'd need to sew for spring/summer, as I'm in a different hemisphere.  I'm vaguely thinking about a skirt, dressy shorts, perhaps a matching "jacket" - I've got a suitable pattern, and a couple of woven tops.  I rarely wear woven tops, but my wardrobe is full of what are essentially tees and I need a little variety.  That's only five garments, and probably only to two patterns that would need fitting and two months in which to sew?  I need some mojo though...

Miranda

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2009, 04:49:01 AM »
..  I need some mojo though...
Ah, I think that's was these sew-a-longs and contest are best at, giving us a boost, a shot of enthusiasm when we need it the most.  I'm still undecided.  This is such a good idea, I can't hold out much longer.  Uh, when do we start?

Offline owara

• Notes from the Sewing Studio
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2009, 06:08:19 AM »
Finally managed to take a photo of the fabrics.
i've posted it on my blog

http://notesfromthesewingstudio.blogspot.com/2009/08/artisan-square-sew-along.html

i hope to draft and cut by this weekend so i can start sewing in september......yaaaayyyyyy!

jean
http://notesfromthesewingstudio.blogspot.com/

• The Wilted Magnolia
  • Brenda
    • The Wilted Magnolia
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2009, 02:32:39 PM »
Wow, those are gorgeous colors Jean!!

Offline tricia560

« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2009, 02:50:00 PM »
You know, I think this sew-along is a great idea for me too!  I need a better work wardrobe, and more skirts.  I'm thinking of maybe two separate collections, one brown/cream/burgundy/navy(denim) and one silver/blue/black--I need another color there.

12 pieces seems like a lot, but I find if I have a really ambitious goal, I'm more likely to at least get half way there  ::)

Offline Janis

• My Blog
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2009, 02:59:08 PM »
Come on along Miranda.  You'll get your mojo back!

Jean, love your colors and fabrics.  Can't wait to see how you put them together ;D

Tricia,  that's very funny.  Somehow, I can relate ::)

My Blog

• The Wilted Magnolia
  • Brenda
    • The Wilted Magnolia
« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2009, 03:08:42 PM »
  Uh, when do we start?

Uh....you mean we haven't? ROTFLOL  I have my pants pattern ironed and ready to trace and cut! I was freaking out last night because I hurt my back and wouldn't have a pair of pants by today! :o

Maybe our mojo's are just TIRED?  Yep, that's it.  My Mojo has been on vacation! Wonder where she went...

Offline Lisanne

« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2009, 04:08:54 PM »
It's so exciting to see everybody's plans, and how clear you all are about what is right for you, and how you've got to that point.

Personally, making two garments a month would be a challenge too far for me, so I'm going for a 'one a month' scheme.  Yesterday I was going to post a grand plan :
September      vest
October         pants
November      tunic
It would be exciting to have those !   But of course today I changed my mind. . .

I'm one of the people who finds it much easier to plan than to sew, so even one item would be an achievement  :D

Best Wishes to you all
Does this make you feel special  ;D  if not, try something else

Sewingplums
Easy Jackets - mainly links to jacket tutorials, in left menu
Celestine’s Sewing - learn to sew the Edwardian way
Aim for Quality - links to good on-line tutorials for sewing basics

Offline ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2009, 05:23:26 PM »
Hi Miranda!  So nice to see you back here!  I think your variation sounds like the summer collection I proposed.  You have so much mojo when you get going that I expect it will rub off on all of us.

Tricia -- don't worry, the idea is for this to be a long-term plan, so you don't have to finish ALL your sewing in the next 3 months!  I suggest just picking one set and sticking to it.  Get at least 3 garments from one of them anyway.  With a top, a bottom and a layering top (vest, tunic, or overblouse) you have an OUTFIT!  Who doesn't want a new outfit?

sdBev -- hee hee!  We start when we want to.  My personal goal is to have two items done in September.  And I'm cheating because I've already started them both.  But that's the kind of low-down person I am.

Lisanne: why not just cut the fabric for one piece, rather than planning any more?  Pick your favourite, or the one you most need, and start!

Offline fiberfan

• My Blog
« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2009, 07:06:05 PM »
So, I'm starting with fabric.  I'm sure that's backwards, but hopefully, it will work.

It isn't backwards if it works for you.  I sometimes start with a pattern or an idea of a design but I also start with fabric.  I think I start with fabric instead of color because fabric is more than just a color.  How a fabric feels and drapes as well as any pattern and/or texture are also important.

followed by a complete lack of mojo.

I resemble that comment Miranda.  I need some fall clothes so hopefully following along here will help me find my lost mojo.  I am still in the 'thinking' stage - I not sure what I want to sew for fall.  I have refreshed my memory about what fall/winter clothes I have - I want the things I sew to work with the clothes I already have.
Joanne - So Many Ideas, So Much Fiber, So Little Time

joy and gladness shall be found therein, thanksgiving, and the voice of melody. Isaiah 51:3

Offline kitnrose

• My little shop - stop in and have some tea!
« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2009, 07:22:13 PM »
I'm still getting the new sewing room in the new place set up - just made a makeshift sewing table yesterday only to discover the one plug in the room is on the far wall and all our extension cords are in storage.  Sigh.  But hopefully this weekend after errands I'll have everything I need to get started and join in!  I need to go through the fabrics I brought with and see what options I have but off the top of my head, what I think I can and should best do:

Bottom - Brown suit skirt
Top #1 - Peacock blue silk shirt
Top #2 - Royal purple cotton/poly shirt
Top #3 - ?  Need more nice knit tops, so will have to see what fabric I have
Layer - ? A purple wrap sweater would be perfect but don't have the fabric.  Shopping!
Jacket - Brown cape from a gorgeous light but warm brown fleece (very thin, not the thick blanket stuff!) and a vintage cape pattern from MIL. 

Anyway, that's the initial hopes and dreams.  Love this idea of a seasonal collection and hopefully this'll form the jumping off point for the SWAP for this year.  Best of sewing to all and love the ideas - very inspiring!

Offline ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2009, 08:26:19 PM »
Kitnrose - love the idea of a fleece cape!  So cool.  Please put two lines of trim round the bottom.  Oh wait, that's MY ideal cape, not yours :-)

Offline Hen

• sewing in New Zealand
« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2009, 08:29:24 PM »
Tomorrow I'll finish the skirt for my WiaW, and then I am free for the next challenge. First I did not want to join, but I realized that some garments I plan to sew the next months anyway already fulfill half of the collection idea!

Most urgently I need a jacket for autumn, my windstopper doesn't stop anything any more since it got sprayed (or soaked) with salt water. I just ordered some soft-shell fabric, and a Jalie pattern for an outdoorsy jacket. Both the fabric and making an outer jacket are new to me. I want to make the pants from EtaProof, a water-proof cotton, in jeans style (which I already had planned for the SWAP 2009!). One of the tops will be from Merino jersey, and the layering top will be a cardigan from felted wool. So everything to stay warm and dry when outside in autumn and winter.

For the cardigan I am looking for a pattern with raglan sleeves, because the top and the soft-shell jacket both have raglan sleeves and that will be most comfortable when I layer all of them. Any suggestions?

Offline Janis

• My Blog
« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2009, 10:04:15 PM »
Here are my colors/fabrics:

From left to right

1.  Off white rayon knit for top
2.  Gray wool tweed for jacket
3.  Burgundy silk for blouse
4.  Gray wool for pants

The only thing missing is the off white gabardine that I am coveting, but is very expensive (for the second pair of pants)!  I'm still looking for something more reasonable  :-\.  Oh, and the gray sweater that I'm knitting.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 10:07:22 PM by Janis »

My Blog

Offline PNRLori

« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2009, 12:00:07 AM »
I'm behind before I even get started.  I'm planning on a jacket and slacks in khaki linen blend, a cardigan in cream/khaki and black houndstooth, a blouse in red (rusty red), a top in black silk blend, and the third top I'm not sure of yet.  At some point i plan to add a skirt in the same fabric as the jacket & slacks as well as a pair of black slacks and a couple of extra tops/blouses (at least one in cream).  Two items a month sounds like a plan I can work with.  I haven't tried posting pictures yet.  When I get pictures or a plan ready I'll make the attempt to post.  Everyones plans look so good.  I look forward to seeing all the progress.  Hopefully I'll be able to keep up.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 12:02:31 AM by PNRLori »
Lori

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics