Author Topic: Six-piece autumn collection sew-along  (Read 81907 times)

Online ejvc

• Machine-Knitting Cryptographer and Plan-Bot
  • Me about age 2
    • The Fabulous Dr E's Fabulous Blog
Re: Six-piece autumn collection sew-along
« Reply #315 on: September 27, 2009, 12:23:04 PM »
LOL, Karen, I think you've found your new avatar.

As we approach the end of September, it would be great to start putting photos of everyone's collections together; we can update at the end of every month.  Suggestions?  Flickr group (downside: we all have to join flickr); Flickr set (downside, I have to post all the pictures); thread (downside: will get complicated and people will post under the pictures).  Other?

Elizabeth
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 12:26:06 PM by ejvc »
My blog is at http://ejvc.wordpress.com

Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden!

Offline Susan in Saint John

« Reply #316 on: September 27, 2009, 02:40:09 PM »
I am impressed by Susans plan. It is disturbing that it is probably realistic.

It's a 6 month plan and the Loes Hinse patterns are really quick to sew.  No doubt there will be changes!

Offline RuthieSews

• RuthieSews, sewing in Derbyshire, England
    • SEW RUTHIE
« Reply #317 on: September 27, 2009, 10:35:32 PM »
Elizabeth, do you think it is in keeping with the spirit of 6PAC if I sew up and include a shirt I actually cut out for the WiaW in August but never managed to actually sew then?
This is using the same altered McCall's 5522 blouse pattern I also used in the JCC for the lime blouse though here I've used a stripe fabric with some bits cut on the bias and also adding a small amount of machine embroidery.
Here's my progress so far

http://ruthieksews1.blogspot.com/

« Reply #318 on: September 28, 2009, 12:17:17 AM »
I did get 4 pieces cut out today.  The Sweater Coat (shortened) is cut out and there is enough fabric left for a vest of some sort.  I've found another piece of fabric that coordinates with it -- a rayon chiffon for trim perhaps.

The European pants are cut out and there was enough fabric to make a Bemberg vest.  I'll need to buy some buttons for it, I think.  That will be challenging because the lighting in the local fabric store makes this sort of green look brown so there may be a bit of trial and error although bronze may work and I may have some already.

I realized that the fabric I was going to use for the Hepburn pants had enough yardage to make a jacket too if I cut the 2 garments out together.  The jacket pattern that I have closest to fitting me is the Milano but I need to make some further pattern modifications.  I decided to substitute one of the fabrics I was going to sew for the winter collection so these pants are cut out too.

I don't seem to have the energy to sew in the evenings and next weekend is fully committed.  The following weekend is Canadian Thanksgiving.  We're getting together to drape our little black dress patterns on the Saturday.  Depending on how that goes I may be keen to work on the LBD or I may sew on these 4 garments.  I would expect to have them done by the end of October.

Online ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #319 on: September 28, 2009, 09:16:41 AM »
Ruthie, that's fine by me!  The spirit of the thing is really making seasonal-appropriate garments that co-ordinate to form the building blocks of a lovely handmade wardrobe.

Susan, wow, four garments cut out!

Elizabeth

Offline Carole

• I love to sew, dance, read, and play tennis.
    • Mia's Sewing Room
« Reply #320 on: September 28, 2009, 01:39:20 PM »
I'm still airing out my sewing room after the flood, and spent two weeks of September with my sister, who had surgery.  However, I am faint but pursuing and plan to sew something, anything, as part of this challenge. :8ball:

Offline Sewshopper

« Reply #321 on: September 28, 2009, 03:45:55 PM »
I just have hems including sleeves and the LH Bergman will be finished.  I plan to take it to ASG Pattern Testers this evening so have a good deadline.  Then it is on to the 2 Bianca morphs that are already cut out.  I really like the Bergman pattern.  If you are looking for a top to go under a jacket it would really work nicely.  It can carry it's own also as a top to pants or skirt.  It is the second one I have made.  I added 3/4 inch to the center front and tapered to nothing at the side seam and that really worked.  The first one did not hang quite low enough in front but is still wearable.
Karleene

« Reply #322 on: September 28, 2009, 04:45:06 PM »
You're right the Bergman is a really useful pattern.  I make a short sleeved version, a jacket version, and a sleeveless version to which I've added a pocket as well as the version in the pattern.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 04:47:13 PM by Susan in Saint John »

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #323 on: September 29, 2009, 06:24:06 PM »
I thought I'd post some progress. ;D  I've wanted to use Loes Hinse European Pant pattern for a long time.  I determined to use it for this collection.  But after reading her instructions and making my standard alterations to the pattern, I felt really uneasy.  So I made a muslin, a rare thing for me, and got the shock of my life.  I'm so glad I didn't cut into my fashion fabric first.  This pattern still needs a couple of major changes in the back to look decent on me.  So far, I'm not calling it trash, just really surprised that it's so bad in the back.  

Posted a pic on my blog and lots of talk.

Offline Sewshopper

« Reply #324 on: September 29, 2009, 09:26:51 PM »
Bev, why don't you send Loes the pictures.  She can really help identify problems.
Karleene

« Reply #325 on: September 29, 2009, 11:15:33 PM »
If it's worth $35 to you, Loes' pant alteration instructions are available http://www.casualelegancefabric.com/products/possibilities-sewing-with-loes.1382.html  I did purchase it and it's full of information--no fabric swatches.  There are good illustrations of the way Loes' alters pants.  As one might expect, her methods are different but do make a lot of sense, at least to me.

Online ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #326 on: September 30, 2009, 09:12:13 AM »
Hi Bev, I looked at your blog.

I agree, the front looks pretty good.  The back is straining and pulling the side seams back.  I would say you need a couple of inches extra back width above where the crotch starts to curve in.  And a deeper crotch curve. And a flat seat adjustment. And *then*, assess the legs.  Oh - also - since crotch depth (waist to crotch length) really can change fit, can you check that the length is right against a pair/pattern that fits well?

Regarding muslins, I really agree (Bev says she's not a muslin devotee).  I mean, you can make a muslin to check construction and design details, and I think making the fitting shell pattern is useful, you know, to get an idea about things that are relatively invariant (like shoulder angles, body lengths, etc), but I will NEVER sew up again without basting first.  There's just no point, since every fabric is different.  In Pants for Real People, Pati Palmer suggests making a note on your fitting pattern of where different fabrics need adjustment to the basic pattern.  And boy, do they.

Offline odawa

« Reply #327 on: September 30, 2009, 12:26:06 PM »
Here is my last submission of the month!  http://www.flickr.com/photos/odawa01/
I'm not in LOVE with the pants.  They look kinda baggy, and they ride down in the back when I stand up.  I'll have to figure it out, I guess.  any ideas would be appreciated. 

Offline Lisanne

• southern England
« Reply #328 on: September 30, 2009, 12:30:31 PM »
Wheee !  have finished the cutting out, at the last minute (having also washed and ironed my fabric)  -  so I claim to have done my preparation during September (Actually I haven't yet done the marking or interfacing, but we'll keep quiet about that :D)

So I'm officially demoting myself from one-a-month to one-in-two-months.  Perhaps this is like a very extended WIAW  -  one month for preparation and one month for sewing. . .  Though I suspect I may by nature be a one-a-season person, even for a very simple item like this  (Vogue 7335 short version, made from quilting cotton  -  ideal for a test garment as if it doesn't look good you can cut it into smaller pieces instead of throwing it away  !).

Meanwhile, greetings to you all for your lovely garments and inspirational plans !
Does this make you feel special  ;D  if not, try something else

Sewingplums
Aim for Quality - links to good on-line tutorials for sewing basics
Easy Jackets - mainly links to jacket tutorials, in left menu

« Reply #329 on: September 30, 2009, 12:46:08 PM »
Here is my last submission of the month!  http://www.flickr.com/photos/odawa01/
I'm not in LOVE with the pants.  They look kinda baggy, and they ride down in the back when I stand up.  I'll have to figure it out, I guess.  any ideas would be appreciated.  

From the photos they look like they may be catching on your calves.  Are they?  If so, that may be causing the problems elsewhere.  A good pants fitting book may have some suggestions.

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #330 on: September 30, 2009, 01:07:20 PM »
Here is my last submission of the month!  http://www.flickr.com/photos/odawa01/
I'm not in LOVE with the pants.  They look kinda baggy, and they ride down in the back when I stand up.  I'll have to figure it out, I guess.  any ideas would be appreciated.  

You may want to consider having us move this post (and any replies to it) to the "Critiques" board which is described as follows:
Finished your project and something seems "off"? Can't put your finger on what went wrong? Want a frank assessment so that the next project won't have the same problem? Post your project (including pictures) here, along with what you're thinking and invite us to talk w/ you about your project!

But before you do so, please read the stickied thread on that board, titled: "Please Read This Before You Post on the Critiques Board."  I can also add the hot linked images from your Flickr page to the thread (since you'll want to have pictures there).

Let us know!  :)

Lisa
Found: a favorite silver bracelet that I hadn't seen for a while.  On its four quarters it says "Welcome Introspection; Accept Wisdom; Seek Illumination; Embrace Innocence."   It's like a "magic 8-ball" on the wrist...

Offline odawa

« Reply #331 on: September 30, 2009, 01:27:28 PM »
Its not that big of a deal. Just something I noticed when I saw the pic.  Sorry to bother everyone.  Wont do it again.

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #332 on: September 30, 2009, 01:35:10 PM »
Its not that big of a deal. Just something I noticed when I saw the pic.  Sorry to bother everyone.  Wont do it again.

Hi Odawa!

If your response is to my suggestion, I'm sorry I've caused you concern.  I don't think you've bothered anyone! 

You're welcome to ask for suggestions anywhere on the board, :) but many of those who can help you may not find your request in the middle of this thread.  And since we tend to be a nice group, sometimes that "niceness" can get in the way of frank help or suggestions.  That's why we created the "Critiques" board...and it sounded to me as if that's what you were asking for.  But since the standard is intended to be a bit different there, I didn't want you to get into it unless you wanted that...

I'm sorry I misunderstood--and I'm really sorry if I've made you feel bad. :(  That was about as far as possible from what I intended... :'(

Lisa
Found: a favorite silver bracelet that I hadn't seen for a while.  On its four quarters it says "Welcome Introspection; Accept Wisdom; Seek Illumination; Embrace Innocence."   It's like a "magic 8-ball" on the wrist...

Online ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #333 on: September 30, 2009, 01:36:55 PM »
Odawa - from your description and the pictures (I can't see the waist - so this is just a guess) - you either need to scoop out the crotch curve a bit more, or alternatively/additionally add length to the pattern just below the zipper, so that there is enough height in the crotch-to-waist area.  After I made my first pair of trousers and posted them here, someone suggested I get the book Pants for Real People, and I have to say it is a brilliant book and I feel so much more confident about making trousers that fit.

PS You know, even when YOU are dissatisfied, they still fit better than ready-to-wear!

Elizabeth

Online ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #334 on: September 30, 2009, 01:41:52 PM »
Wheee !  have finished the cutting out, at the last minute (having also washed and ironed my fabric)  -  so I claim to have done my preparation during September (Actually I haven't yet done the marking or interfacing, but we'll keep quiet about that :D)

So I'm officially demoting myself from one-a-month to one-in-two-months.  Perhaps this is like a very extended WIAW  -  one month for preparation and one month for sewing. . .  Though I suspect I may by nature be a one-a-season person, even for a very simple item like this  (Vogue 7335 short version, made from quilting cotton  -  ideal for a test garment as if it doesn't look good you can cut it into smaller pieces instead of throwing it away  !).

Meanwhile, greetings to you all for your lovely garments and inspirational plans !

Congratulations Lisanne, and man, you are the most cautious person alive!! I am going to send you some FREE fabric that you can WASTE!  Seriously though, have a little faith in yourself.  I'm very happy you've finished cutting.

Now that we have reached the end of September, I can say I have accomplished the following:
1) sewed the sleeves and cuffs of my navy silk shirt.  They are not, however, attached to the bodice, nor have I figured out that hidden placket thing on the band
2) cut out and basted a skirt from checked wool, and cut its lining.  This skirt, and its intended matching jacket, do not *really* go with my 6-PAC plan, and might be extraneous!!!  Or for winter?  I think it will be quite hot to wear.
3) committed to sewing a pair of jeans next month, which I desperately need.

OK, so I haven't finished anything and have managed to go off-plan.  Sigh.  And I don't get to buy an accessory.  Well, not THIS MONTH anyway.  Next month is another story, tra la.

Elizabeth

Offline owara

• Notes from the Sewing Studio
« Reply #335 on: September 30, 2009, 03:07:55 PM »
i don't get to buy an accessory this month either   :'(

but finally, i have managed to get some sewing done, and made some progress on the princess cut sleeveless top.
grappling with attaching the lining right now - the collar is a bit tricky.
tomorrow i shall have to face my nemesis - attaching the invisible zip to the lining!

Offline JenSA

• Jen's Pots & Pins
« Reply #336 on: September 30, 2009, 03:20:19 PM »
no accessories here either :'(

I sewed quite a bit over the weekend though so have some progress. I've had a bunch of stuff to do around the house and about and will not touch sewing until thats all done. Maybe over the weekend again. But it is fun watching all your progress, keep it up gals!!!!

Offline Janis

• My Blog
« Reply #337 on: September 30, 2009, 04:00:05 PM »
Odawa, I agree with Elizabeth (although I'm probably not the best person to be giving suggestions ::)), I think you need to measure your crotch length from your waist all the way around and compare it to the pattern.  I'll bet you'll find your crotch is about 1-2 inches longer than the pattern.  Slicing the pattern just below the zip, and above the curve and adding that amount should do the trick.  The other place you can make the adjustment is just below the darts.  It just depends on how your hip curves.  I have a high hip curve (I think you do, too), so I take the adjustment below the zipper.

If you do that, I think you will get rid of all those diagonal wrinkles.  Then you'll want to take a look at the width, and see if you need to take the pants in slightly (ETA:  I don't think you'll need to).  Basting the main pattern pieces together for the final fit has made things a lot easier for me.

Okay, now for my pathetic update.  I am making progress, but it's much slower than I thought.  I ruined the first lining (how do you ruin lining?  Don't ask!), so I had to run out and buy more.  After many attempts, I got the lining in.  Then my iron stopped working.  Then I read the BWOF instructions for putting in the waistband and said, "huh?".

So, today I'm working on the waistband (it's the kind where the center back is stitched up from the center seam - I've never done that - help!)  Then I have the hem, which is supposed to be cuffed, but I don't think I'm going to do that.  I'm not sure I'll finish today but I'm plugging away.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 04:05:54 PM by Janis »
"This is emphatically not a quick project, just savour the process..."  Ann Rowley

My Blog
http://janssewingroom.wordpress.com

Offline Lisanne

• southern England
« Reply #338 on: September 30, 2009, 04:09:00 PM »
Congratulations Lisanne, and man, you are the most cautious person alive!! I am going to send you some FREE fabric that you can WASTE!  Seriously though, have a little faith in yourself.  I'm very happy you've finished cutting.

Thanks Elizabeth  -  I promise I have had a major personality upgrade and no longer save 1 inch square scraps of quilting cotton  :D
[Obviously you don't belong to a quilt group  -  some people even publish quilt patterns which include second patterns for using up all the waste bits from making the first one. . .]
Does this make you feel special  ;D  if not, try something else

Sewingplums
Aim for Quality - links to good on-line tutorials for sewing basics
Easy Jackets - mainly links to jacket tutorials, in left menu

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #339 on: September 30, 2009, 04:40:22 PM »
Well, I didn't make the 'grade' either!!  Today is the first day, since my return on Sunday, that I've been able to even think about sewing.  I'm going to try and do buttonholes on the jacket today.  Am still fiddling with the pants but should be able to finish the wb later.  They're hemmed - I just didn't like the way the front looked.  Now I'm thinking - wear a longer T an get on with things!! ;D  I also have a short attention span - as now I want to sew along with the sterns jeans - doesn't matter that I have a TNT jeans pattern!! ::) ::)
If you're doing the best you can under your current circumstances... then kick up your heels and dance

Sometimes when things are falling apart they may actually be falling into place

Offline LauraS.

« Reply #340 on: September 30, 2009, 05:25:19 PM »
I've got my 2 skirts done and finally found a store with a battery to match up to my camera, so I'll post pics of my skirts.  Do I qualify for an accessory?  I also agree with Elizabeth.  I baste everything now.  Seems like prep work keeps growing, but it does make the actual sewing time productive. 

LauraS

Online ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #341 on: September 30, 2009, 07:03:09 PM »
LauraS, it is indeed time to accessorise yourself!  I'm pleased to see so many people on track and I have confidence that I will be among them soon, soon I tell you.

Elizabeth

PS Owara -- I always thought you insert the zip into the outer fabric, then fold under the seam allowances and handsew to the zipper tape -- not too bad?

Offline DebbieY

• Debs Needle & Thread
« Reply #342 on: September 30, 2009, 10:22:42 PM »
I haven't got my pieces done either, they're cut out and sitting together with their instructions, thread and notions, but that's it.

I was hoping to get one sewn up this morning before I have take eldest ds (16 today) clothes shopping (won't that be fun, not, but his Dad sent him $ for his birthday and he wants to get clothes) but I have woken up with a sore neck/shoulders and can hardly move so there will be no sewing for me, I can hardly lift a coffee cup never mind a sewing machine and can barely move. I am hoping this is only a temporary setback but it feels the same as when I tore my interscapular muscle a while back, but I can't remember doing anything yesterday that might have caused it ...

« Reply #343 on: October 01, 2009, 12:10:30 AM »
Well I didn't earn an accessory either.  Do we get to buy 2 if we finish 4 garments in October?

But, it did make me think about accessories.  My plan is fairly monochromatic and neutral in an odd sort of way so I need to think about what accent colours would work with these garments.  I already have red shoes which I think will work and I have some dull yellow green ones which I haven't tried with these fabrics yet but may work.  I'm one of those people who uses the same shoulder bag until it wears out--well occasionally, if we're going out I do use something smaller, but not very often.  I'm really not an accessories person--I don't wear earrings and I can't quite grasp the concept of wearing jewelry with pants except maybe a dressy pant suit worn with heels.  I wear the same watch all the time and my wedding band [and my iron ring because I'm a Canadian engineer and yes mine really is iron].  Which brings me back to shoes as my accessory of choice or perhaps a new shoulder bag.

Should we discuss how we're going to accessorize here or move it to a new thread?

Offline PNRLori

« Reply #344 on: October 01, 2009, 03:02:52 AM »
No accessories here either.  I have managed to cut the top and cardigan.  I hope to sew these two items in the next couple of weeks and cut the pants and blouse to sew by the end of October.  That will leave November for the Jacket and another top.  I would love to add these six pieces to my wardrobe (desparately in need of updating).  Happy sewing to all. 
Lori

Offline JennyAnne

• Southshore Handmade
« Reply #345 on: October 01, 2009, 09:42:12 AM »
This is belated, but I wanted to say...

Elizabeth, I really like your skirt.  I think I know the pattern you used (too lazy to dig out my BWOFs and look) and I may need to try it.  I haven't done any higher waisted skirts yet, but yours is so flattering, I might.  The fabric looks really rich, too.

and...

Ruthie, I like the embroideries you use on your things.  I'm going to get an embroidery machine in the next few months, and I'm using your creations for inspiration.   ;D

Offline Femme1

« Reply #346 on: October 01, 2009, 01:35:22 PM »
Not to brag or anything, but I got four pieces done this month. Well, almost four. I decided to add another row of trim (by hand) to the perimeter of the LC To the Point jacket/coat. I added one row of Eros yarn to the topstitched line, but I think it needs another to look good. I'll post photos soon. The other finished items are a pair of stretch waist knit pants (BWOF), a SW Haiku Two jacket, and a sleeveless turtleneck top from CJ Basewear Two.

I've been eyeing some sweater knit fabric on EOS, so I may succumb. Also, I think I'll soon head to TJ Maxx to look for a new fall purse!  :D

Deb

Offline owara

« Reply #347 on: October 01, 2009, 05:54:14 PM »
PS Owara -- I always thought you insert the zip into the outer fabric, then fold under the seam allowances and handsew to the zipper tape -- not too bad?

ejvc,
you are right. the zip is attached to the main/outer fabric. then turned inside out and the lining is machined onto the zip.

i mess up the machining at the bottom of the zip without fail. arghhhhh!
mentioned this on an earlier thread and someone, liana i think, pointed me to an online tutorial.

i had bookmarked it earlier and would add the link here except that i can't find the bookmark now.
i am sooooooo organized. not.

what i was doing wrong was to sew up the back seam on the lining before attaching it to the zip. on the tutorial, the lining is sewn onto the zip first then the back seam is sewn up........it looks easy enough and i'm going to give that a try.

Offline owara

« Reply #348 on: October 01, 2009, 06:02:06 PM »
femme1,
wow! you are way ahead. great going and can't wait to see the pics!

LauraS,
congratulations on meeting this month's target 2 pieces.

Offline MaryOK

• No More Twist!
« Reply #349 on: October 05, 2009, 10:09:25 PM »
Just popping in to say I am still playing along.  It took me a long while to settle on my 6 pieces.  This collection builds on the eggplant coat I finished last winter.  Because of its close fit, I am most comfortable wearing dresses and sweaters under it, rather than suits.

I have cut out 5 of the 6 garments,fused interfacing, collected notions, etc., and have finished 2.  I am making:

boucle pencil skirt (NE pencil, TNT)
Cranberry herringbone slacks (NE 1961)
Gray wool blend doubleknit cardigan, trimmed with boucle (NE 1960)
Gray wool blend doubleknit long sleeved top (NE 1960)
Grayed plum/eggplant matte jersey dress, 1970's vintage pattern S6672
blue/plum striped shirt V8598, view b

The gray doubleknit is probably the oldest thing in my stash -- I bought it from the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation Costume Shop @ 1985-87 when the new manager was clearing out to upgrade the authenticity of the costumes.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics