Author Topic: Six-piece autumn collection sew-along  (Read 81227 times)

Offline Femme1

Re: Six-piece autumn collection sew-along
« Reply #140 on: September 03, 2009, 02:15:02 PM »
I've never participated in any sew-alongs (or any sewing contests for that matter), and so I thought I'd throw my lot in with y'all. Sounds like a lot of fun seeing how everyone progresses. I definitely want to shop my stash, and I already think I'm going with brown as the basic color, with maroon/burgundy. Not sure of any other colors yet.

Company is coming this weekend, so I hope I don't act too impatient until they leave on Sunday morning (probably should remove my "I'd rather be sewing" sign from the fridge). No, but really. Really.

I've read back over the previous posts, and you've inspired me to try something else I've never done before---doing a storyboard or sketches of the projects. I can't wait! ;D

Deb

Offline Janis

• My Blog
« Reply #141 on: September 03, 2009, 02:18:36 PM »
Marcia, thanks for the comment on my blouse.  I know what it's like to be anxious to get something cut out and started.  You were wise to STOP, however! Nothing good ever comes from rushing (ask me how I know ::))

Debbie, I use a pattern size that corresponds to my high bust measurement, which is 32.  So whatever size is close to a 32 bust measurement, that's the one I use (usually a 10).  Then I do a full bust adjustment and scale out to about a 14 on the side seams.  I also take about 1 inch out of each shoulder seam.  Voila!  The perfect fit!  No wonder ready-to-wear doesn't work for me  :(.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 04:28:23 PM by Janis »
"This is emphatically not a quick project, just savour the process..."  Ann Rowley

My Blog
http://janssewingroom.wordpress.com

Offline Karendee

« Reply #142 on: September 03, 2009, 03:13:50 PM »
Janis,

Your silk charmeuse blouse in rich red is just a perfect garment for fall. That red is a fashion favorite right now, and you can't be the classic shape. It will be a year round treasure and elegant to boot. Beautiful, beautiful!!!

Karen

Offline odawa

« Reply #143 on: September 03, 2009, 04:36:37 PM »
Janis,
I LOVE LOVE that blouse.  The color is awesome and I really like the style.  I think its stunning.

Here is my other fabric,  its a purpley knit.  I'm not very good with knits so I'm learning.  This will make a great shirt.  I have a aubergine jacket that I want to pair this with. 
Andrea

Offline The Wilted Magnolia

• The Wilted Magnolia
  • Brenda
    • The Wilted Magnolia
« Reply #144 on: September 03, 2009, 05:37:48 PM »
Here's my first piece.  The good news about this blouse is that is actually fits me! 

Janis that's beautimous!!  :applause2:   Hey.... that color would go with MY capsule!

Offline owara

• Notes from the Sewing Studio
« Reply #145 on: September 03, 2009, 06:05:56 PM »
Nice fabrics, Odawa
Janis, good going. i love the colour of your top!

as for moi.......i'm suffering from analysis paralysis.
got scissors in hand and still trying to decide which fabric to use for what pattern *sigh*

Offline stashpanache

• Stash's Sewing Blog
« Reply #146 on: September 03, 2009, 06:55:29 PM »
Janis, I love your new blouse.

I hope I will be ready to join in after a few more months.  I am hopeful about pattern fitting now that SG is here to help?? ;D  As soon as I am the weight I want, which should be about Christmas time, I will be ready to get my dress form and start joining in these sew alongs.  Heaven knows, I need clothes. ;D
"All things are literally better, lovelier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."  John Ruskin 

"Do all you can with what you have, in the time you have, in the place you are"  Nikosi Johnson

http://sewstashwazzup.blogspot.com/

Offline tricia560

« Reply #147 on: September 03, 2009, 07:30:09 PM »
Janis--Love the top!  that's a fabulous color and it looks great 8)

Odawa found me this great freecycle skirt a while back

(it's more burgundy than it seems in the picture)
It's about 2 times as big as I need and I don't like an elastic waist band on this med/heavy corduroy, so at lunch I cut off the waist band, straightened it out, and laid my pattern pieces on it---they'll fit with enough for a purse left over.  I think it needs a wash and steam so that the pleats from the elastic waist band relax as much as possible before I cut it.

I'm thinking of leaving the side seams and pockets intact, and having a seam in front center and back center (with a back zipper) and darts.  No waistband, some kind of slinky lining.  Slight a-line, knee-ish length.  Do you think it'll work?  I haven't done that kind of reconstruction before, but it seems like a solid plan...

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #148 on: September 03, 2009, 07:54:55 PM »
I'm thinking of leaving the side seams and pockets intact, and having a seam in front center and back center (with a back zipper) and darts.  No waistband, some kind of slinky lining.  Slight a-line, knee-ish length.  Do you think it'll work?...

It will be a great reconstruct.  If you can cut it right, you won't even have to re-hem, just a few hand stitches in the right places.  Although a straight skirt is better, a slight a-line can work, for the heming.

Offline ejvc

• Machine-Knitting Cryptographer and Plan-Bot
  • Me about age 2
    • The Fabulous Dr E's Fabulous Blog
« Reply #149 on: September 03, 2009, 08:28:31 PM »
Tricia, sounds fun.  You could dress it up with a slotted seam with some funky contrast down the centre of the skirt!

I'm excited to see so many new participants.  Welcome all!

Elizabeth
My blog is at http://ejvc.wordpress.com

Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden!

Offline Femme1

« Reply #150 on: September 03, 2009, 09:01:31 PM »
What a great freecycle find!  That's the best---free fabric!  :laugh:  The color is great and corduroy for fall is perfect.

Deb

• The Wilted Magnolia
  • Brenda
    • The Wilted Magnolia
« Reply #151 on: September 04, 2009, 03:59:39 PM »
While the carrot style pants picture will never be online for the world to see.... ;D  I did like the Hot Patterns top that was next to me on my mannequin!  Probably because it wasn't on my body! LOL  It goes with my capsule colors so obviously I was planning ahead! Ha!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 04:01:44 PM by BC Designs »

Offline Janis

• My Blog
« Reply #152 on: September 04, 2009, 06:31:49 PM »
Thanks again to everyone who commented on my rather plain, but functional (I hope) blouse.

My next project will start after Labor Day, with the Burda 9/09, #109 pants in gray wool.  I need to finish them next week because my jacket class is starting week after next, and I'm thinking that most of my time will be taken up with that for awhile.

Tricia, I love your refashioning idea.  Looking forward to seeing the results.

BC, did you make that blouse?  It's lovely!  You look like you have a regular design studio going on there.  Is that right?

Happy Sewing to all of you weekend "laborers".  Enjoy!

"This is emphatically not a quick project, just savour the process..."  Ann Rowley

My Blog

• The Wilted Magnolia
  • Brenda
    • The Wilted Magnolia
« Reply #153 on: September 04, 2009, 07:39:45 PM »
Your blouse wasn't plain! It was elegant.  Those garments are the hardest, as every mistake will show up!  I didn't see any mistakes.

The blouse matches my walls doesn't it? LOL  That's the spot that I take my photos for whatever I'm selling on Etsy.   So I guess it's a design "corner"?  I repaint it everytime the mood hits.  Think I'm going to put a 4 inch band on that blouse and wear it as a tunic.  Haven't hemmed it as I was still deciding.

Offline kbenco

• Queensland, Australia
    • kbenco's projects
« Reply #154 on: September 07, 2009, 02:14:17 AM »
May I play? I thought that all I wanted to sew for spring was dresses, but somehow found myself imagining a very casual jacket last night - could I call that a collection? Also my best trousers just died prematurely from rust stains, so I need another pair. It will make a lovely change from sewing polar fleece for camping clothes.
Plan (today, and subject to change without notice)
BWOF Dec 2008 dress 130, cream and mid brown (originally planned for June capsule), toile 1 disaster, toile 2 looking better, so cut out and 1/2 sewn yesterday)
Cardigan style jacket, from cream striped rayon fabric
Chocolate brown cotton gabardine trousers,
 blouse,
several knit tops
wrap silk jersey dresses - 1.chocolate brown 2. purple  ;D
Karen

what I am sewing  - http://kbenco.blogspot.com/

Offline JenSA

• Jen's Pots & Pins
« Reply #155 on: September 07, 2009, 05:56:35 PM »
I've been scouring the pattern companies for a raincoat pattern and have found two by Burda. First 7750 and then 7711. I didn't see any reviews on PR so was wondering if anyone have made these and what you thought, I'm leaning toward 7750 with the hood (The tan version in the photo, but mine will be black).

Offline Femme1

« Reply #156 on: September 07, 2009, 08:38:21 PM »
My company left on Saturday morning, so I've had some time to get my swap plan together and to actually almost finish the first piece. Here are my fabric choices.

The brown/black heavy ottoman knit (top of photo) will be made up into a pair of TNT stretch Burda WOF (4/2002, 132) straight slacks with elastic waist.
The lighter brown plaid tropical wool (a great Zegna fabric) is (almost) a Cutting Lines Design To the Point unlined coat. All I have left to do on it is the topstitching.
The burgundy/brown floral knit jersey will become both a Christine Jonson Basewear One sleeveless turtleneck (TNT) and a CJ shirred top.
The bright plaid silk chiffon will be some sort of loose-fitting top (haven't found a pattern yet), and if there's enough fabric left, an accessory scarf.
The feather and checked heavy drapey rayon will be a cardigan-like top, probably a Sewing Workshop Haiku Two jacket, which I've made once before..
And the octogon woven upholstery fabric will be an Amy Butler Sophia carry-all bag (an extra, but I hope I get it done).

I shopped my stash for this swap, and I hope it's not too dark and heavy on the browns. But I haven't worn much brown for the past few years, and I think it's time for me to add it to my wardrobe. I also have a Nikko jacket (SW) that I made in August that will go with this swap; it's in a light brown and cream drapey rayon fabric, and I used some of Laura Nicholson's mannikin ribbon on it. I'll have to post that one on the finished projects thread (now that I've learned how to upload photos!).

Please let me know what you think...I value your input so much. And sorry about the big photos, I'm trying to figure out how to size them down!
Deb

Online Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #157 on: September 07, 2009, 09:04:31 PM »
And sorry about the big photos, I'm trying to figure out how to size them down!
Deb

Hi Deb!

There's nothing wrong with the size of your photos!  However if you would rather post smaller versions of your own images, you can pick smaller versions to post from your Flickr account (since I see you're using Flickr).  If you'd like to work on that, come back to the sandbox and ask...we'll be glad to help! :)

Lisa
Found: a favorite silver bracelet that I hadn't seen for a while.  On its four quarters it says "Welcome Introspection; Accept Wisdom; Seek Illumination; Embrace Innocence."   It's like a "magic 8-ball" on the wrist...

Offline JenSA

• Jen's Pots & Pins
« Reply #158 on: September 07, 2009, 11:20:48 PM »
Deb I really like those autumn colours you've chosen and those patterns are great. I really like those tops. I can't wait too see your finished garments. :)

Offline DebbieF

• Thinking couture
« Reply #159 on: September 08, 2009, 01:05:43 PM »
I sewed my first piece this weekend!!!! I made up Vogue 8379 (wrap dress) in this a lightweight print knit from fabric.com.  It's gray, tan, white and black that looks like broken stained glass.  It is absolutely gorgeous....I was so inspired, and Joann's had Vogue on sale this weekend, that I went back over two days and bought about 20 patterns.  I got patterns for some beautiful separates, and a few designer suits, and a few dresses.  The dress is so pretty though, that I did not wear it to work today....I just couldn't face going back to plain old shabby worn clothes after wearing such a beautiful piece!  Does that sound nuts?

I think I'll save it a bit and make a few more pieces of my new wardrobe so it won't be so depressing to look at the clothes I have now.

Offline odawa

« Reply #160 on: September 08, 2009, 04:46:57 PM »
Wow I got one of the knit shirts finished over the holiday.  I used a twin needle.  Never did that before, I liked the results.  I also practiced using the blind hem.  AWESOME!!!  I was having fun  anyways here is the shirt.
Looks like I have back fat!!!  Yuckoooo!

Offline odawa

« Reply #161 on: September 08, 2009, 04:47:39 PM »
evidently i can only post 1 pic at a time. 

Offline odawa

« Reply #162 on: September 08, 2009, 04:48:21 PM »
the jacket in the last pic, I picked up at a garage sale for 2.00  woo hoo!!!

Online Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #163 on: September 08, 2009, 05:21:47 PM »
evidently i can only post 1 pic at a time.  

When we ask you to "post" your photos, we're asking you to direct-link your photos, and you can post as many as you like here in a single reply.  However you didn't just post your photos, you've uploaded them here (and attached them to your post), that is, you've used Stitcher's Guild as your photo-hosting site for these pics. :o  Since we're not designed for that, and don't have the room for that, you are limited to a single photo per post, and even those photos can be deleted (by the board's software) after a fairly short time.   See item #4 in DragonLady's groundrules for the forum:

4) You may upload one image of no more than 350 kbs per post.  Every 30 days, the uploaded images will be purged and will be unrecoverable.  Please save a copy to your hard drive to prevent loss in the purge. You can prevent this altogether by uploading your image to an image hosting site, then linking to it.

If the "monthly" purge is minutes after you post, you could lose the pics almost immediately! :o  

Please consider using a photo-hosting site (like Flickr, Photobucket, Smugmug or Pbase) and then direct-linking your images here.  Method #2 in "these instructions" will tell you how to do it!  Please let us know (in the "Sandbox") if you're having trouble direct-linking...we'd love to help!  :)

Lisa

eta: copy of relevant groundrule and to emphasize that pic could be lost almost immediately.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 05:38:25 PM by Lisa »
Found: a favorite silver bracelet that I hadn't seen for a while.  On its four quarters it says "Welcome Introspection; Accept Wisdom; Seek Illumination; Embrace Innocence."   It's like a "magic 8-ball" on the wrist...

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #164 on: September 09, 2009, 04:26:09 AM »
Looks like I have back fat!!!  Yuckoooo!
Odawa, you need to face the fact that you have goddess proportions. So go ahead,  dress like a goddess and act like one too!

Great find on that jacket.  Makes a super outfit.

Offline Rosemary

• fabricfan's blog
« Reply #165 on: September 09, 2009, 06:19:31 AM »
I have been very quiet but I am joining in. I am leaving on vacation on Thursday, but my sewing machine is coming with me, and my patterns are all cut out. I have used them all before except for the bathing suit.  I have  everything in plastic ziploc bags and I'm nearly packed. Three knit tops, a plain tee Kwik sew, the Vogue Sandra Betzina square necked cowl and the Jalie crossover v neck. The bathing suit is Divine Drape from stretch and sew. The pants and skirt are old patterns, nothing fancy but will be made of linen and rayon mix.
We are driving back to Quebec from Vancouver, we will be going through the US, after we have done our visiting in Sask.  Don't know how many states I'll be traveling through but I will be posting to the blog and hopefully I'll be able to update here as well.

Offline owara

« Reply #166 on: September 10, 2009, 05:36:39 PM »
been absent for a few days, and everyone has made such great progress!

JenSA, that trench would be my choice too. it's very stylish and more dressy than the traditional trenches.
Deb, love your fabrics. what wonderful autumny colours. oh yeah, i could go for those tops!
DebbieF, congratulations on finishing your 1st piece! look forward to seeing a pic.
Odawa, goodness, you are moving fast! the top fits you well.

keeping my fingers crossed that i will be able to catch up and complete 2 pieces by end of this month.

Offline owara

« Reply #167 on: September 10, 2009, 05:41:39 PM »
rosemary,
*lol* first time i have heard of someone taking their sewing machine on vacation!
sounds like you are one of those enviable well-organised people.
look forward to reading about your progress.

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #168 on: September 10, 2009, 06:01:43 PM »
I've decided to join in.  I wore a purchased royal blue shirt with navy pants the other day while traveling.  I stopped for gas and a pottie break and while washing my hands glanced in the mirror.  I was surprised at the effect of the royal blue on my eyes.  My eyes glowed like sapphires.  It was beautiful and made me decided right there, I need more of this color.  So I bought some royal blue for a long sleeve shirt and shopped my stash.  I'll be making up my storyboard in the next few days. 

This 6 piece/3 month plan is growing on me.  This is doable and still allows me to take on other projects. 

Offline odawa

« Reply #169 on: September 10, 2009, 07:14:46 PM »
I've almost completed a pair of slacks.  I've done alot of adjustments on them.  I'll post when they are finished.  Fingers crossed it'll be tonite or tomorrow nite.
SdBev, that is soo funny,  my nickname is Goddess.  Its funny you said that.  I've been giggling all day. 
I need to make a Halloween costume also.  I'm thinking of being a nurse.  I want to get creative on a Burda pattern. 

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #170 on: September 10, 2009, 07:17:22 PM »
..my nickname is Goddess. ..
See, I'm not the only one who recognized that :smug:

Offline Hen

• sewing in New Zealand
« Reply #171 on: September 10, 2009, 07:33:09 PM »
Rosemary, that sounds like the perfect holiday!
My softshell-fabric arrived, and I cut out the Jalie-Pattern yesterday.
This will be my most complicated sewing-project ever.
Hope my machine can handle the waterproof zippers.

Offline Janis

• My Blog
« Reply #172 on: September 10, 2009, 11:50:34 PM »
I am so happy that so many are joining in on this!

Odawa, very nice knit top.  I have one knit top planned, but I'm not so great with knits yet, so I'm a little hesitant.

Deb, I love your fabrics and colors.  And I really love that ruched (sp?) top.  That is such a flattering look on most people.

I haven't done any sewing this week, yet.  I still want to finish some pants by next Tuesday.  I'm not leaving myself much time, since I don't usually sew on the weekend :-\.  But, you all are inspiring me to get going ;D

My Blog

Offline ejvc

• Machine-Knitting Cryptographer and Plan-Bot
  • Me about age 2
    • The Fabulous Dr E's Fabulous Blog
« Reply #173 on: September 11, 2009, 01:08:31 AM »
Chiming in -- I'm away again, this time in New York, with ultra-limited internet access.  My sister is getting married tomorrow and everyone is at the rehearsal dinner right now, but baby Charlotte needed her bed so I have some quiet time with the computer...

Great to see everyone's stuff.

Kbenco -- you are in fact REQUIRED to join.  Although I reckon you could finish six items in six days and still have time for canoeing.  Still, you will inspire us.
SdBev, can't wait to see you in royal blue.
Lisanne, where are you, I want to see how that tunic is progressing!
Odawa (aka Goddess) great shirt, keep it coming - can't wait to see the slacks.
Rosemary - what a vacation.  Good on you for being organised, but I want to see how you do, since I never manage to do anything when travelling (although having said that I have finished Charlotte's dress for the wedding, bar attaching the buttons).

Sorry that I've missed people out - Hen, Owara, Janis among others -- but my brain is small just now.  I'm waiting to see pictures. 
My blog is at http://ejvc.wordpress.com

Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden!

Offline Lisanne

« Reply #174 on: September 11, 2009, 07:19:15 AM »
Wheee Elizabeth, thanks for noticing I haven't been around !
As usual I find computers easier than sewing !  I'm writing comments on this season's trends for my blog, and linking them to patterns.  Great fun and should be ready sometime next week.  Meanwhile you've inspired me to get my fabric further on than lying in front of me waiting to be washed  :D

(Yesterday someone asked Google for a translation of the style questions on my blog into French !  wow !  these little bits of feedback are so exciting  !!  and it's so rewarding to feel useful  :D

Conseille pour la forme de poire  -  'pear shape' does sound more glamourous like that  :D)

Best Wishes to all for your progress
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 07:54:29 AM by Lisanne »
Does this make you feel special  ;D  if not, try something else

Sewingplums
Easy Jackets - mainly links to jacket tutorials, in left menu
Aim for Quality - links to good on-line tutorials for sewing basics

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics