Author Topic: Six-piece autumn collection sew-along  (Read 81352 times)

zora

Re: Six-piece autumn collection sew-along
« Reply #105 on: August 31, 2009, 04:51:52 PM »
My basic colour for my autumn collection is going to be brown and I intend to finish 3 brown garments (a wide leg pants, a jacket and a cardigan) which are left overs from capsules, sew alongs or similar which I joined but never finished.
The wide leg pants has some fitting issues in the hip which I need to solve. It's the garment I'm not looking forward to finish but unfortunately it's also the garment I need most :( The jacket is quite far along and looked good when I tried it on, the cardigan is cut but not sewn. I'm not totally sure yet what kind of tops I want to sew but if I really finish all three ufos, I think I should reward myself with some nice and easy to sew knit tops. Maybe some twist tops in bold colours, I still have some nice knits in my stash.

Offline Sherril Miller

• Sherril's Sewing Saga
« Reply #106 on: August 31, 2009, 05:08:29 PM »
I finished the WiaW and am ready for more. So how does the 6-piece Autumn wardrobe work? It sounds like we want to make our 6 pieces in September. Is that right? I think I can do that if I finish my 11-piece SWAP this week, which I think I can do if I stay off the computer. I've been perusing my fabric collection and I'm trying very hard not to have to buy more. Of course I've picked out two pieces from fashionfabricsclub.com, but they might not arrive in time and I really don't want to spend money on fabric right now. I haven't pushed the Order button yet. I'll keep looking in the collection to see what I can come up with. I'm trying to use dark brown and olive green for this 6-piece collection.

zora

« Reply #107 on: August 31, 2009, 05:48:34 PM »
It sounds like we want to make our 6 pieces in September. Is that right?
I think we have September and October to finish the 6 pieces at least i do not plan to be finished before the end of October. But if you can do it in just one month, go for it.

Offline The Wilted Magnolia

• The Wilted Magnolia
  • Brenda
    • The Wilted Magnolia
« Reply #108 on: August 31, 2009, 06:42:50 PM »
Don't think I'll be rewarding myself anytime soon!   Make a muslin of the Marcy Tilton V8499 pants.....sigh....think I'm having a bad sewing "moment".   Ok, several days of bad sewing moments.  ::) LOL  There are NO finished measurements on the pattern anywhere so started with a hope and a prayer.  Just basic pants right? Wrong. Six pieces to these babies!  My fabric was a linen, no right or wrong side.  Can we say "rip it"?  The serger wasn't serging, the sewing machine was angry.   After throwing them down, jumping on them, throwing them in the trash, then a trip to town for potato chips to console me while I was reading a murder mystery....I felt marginally better.  Couples hours later, It's my turn to be angry. LOL  Refusing to be beaten by fabric and a new pattern.....pleaseee....I go back in for more wrestling.  Done except for the waistband, I pull them on and start laughing.  Maybe the carrot shape pants are NOT for my body type??? ROTFLOL

Up early this morning.  Cleaned and threaded both machines, finished the waistband (kinda) was it me or the pattern? we'll never know) put them back on...and hmmmm...today I think they are kinda cute.  Go figure.  Does menopause cause you to NOT be able to sew?? Yeesh.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 07:10:55 PM by BC Designs »

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #109 on: August 31, 2009, 07:41:52 PM »
Don't think I'll be rewarding myself anytime soon!   Make a muslin of the Marcy Tilton V8499 pants.....sigh....think I'm having a bad sewing "moment".   Ok, several days of bad sewing moments.  ::) LOL  There are NO finished measurements on the pattern anywhere so started with a hope and a prayer.  Just basic pants right? Wrong. Six pieces to these babies!  My fabric was a linen, no right or wrong side.  Can we say "rip it"?  The serger wasn't serging, the sewing machine was angry.   After throwing them down, jumping on them, throwing them in the trash, then a trip to town for potato chips to console me while I was reading a murder mystery....I felt marginally better.  Couples hours later, It's my turn to be angry. LOL  Refusing to be beaten by fabric and a new pattern.....pleaseee....I go back in for more wrestling.  Done except for the waistband, I pull them on and start laughing.  Maybe the carrot shape pants are NOT for my body type??? ROTFLOL

Up early this morning.  Cleaned and threaded both machines, finished the waistband (kinda) was it me or the pattern? we'll never know) put them back on...and hmmmm...today I think they are kinda cute.  Go figure.  Does menopause cause you to NOT be able to sew?? Yeesh.
"Sew" I probably shouldn't ask for pictures!! ;D ;D
I refuse to tip toe cautiously thru life only to arrive safely at deaths door.
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...  'Oh darn ........ she's awake!!'
Age may wrinkle the face, but lack of enthusiasm wrinkles the soul

Offline LauraM

« Reply #110 on: August 31, 2009, 09:14:49 PM »
I would like to join in, too.  I probably can't even start till mid-Sept so may have to revise the number of pieces, but I figure some is better than none, right?? 

If I am reading the "rules" right, we have 3 months - all of Sept, all of Oct and all of Nov to finish 6 pieces.

And we get to reward ourselves.  One accessory for each 2 or more garments we finish in one month.  So, if I finish none in Sept, 2 in Oct and only 1 in Nov then I get to buy only 1 accessory in that 3 month period.  If I finish 2 a month then I get to buy one accessory each month.  Yea!!

If I finish all 6 garments by the end of November then I get to reward myself by purchasing 6 yards of fabric of my choice, but if I finish 4 garments then I get to purchase 4 yards of fabric of my choice.  Any which way, I'm a winner!!! Please correct me if I'm wrong. 

I am excited to start pulling from stash to see what I've got.  I will have to work on patterns too as weight gain these past 6 months have resulted in a size and shape change.

Laura
I can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.

Offline Carole

• I love to sew, dance, read, and play tennis.
    • Mia's Sewing Room
« Reply #111 on: August 31, 2009, 11:05:48 PM »
trip to town for potato chips to console me while I was reading a murder mystery
  That's what I do, too!  Except sometimes it's M&Ms...

Offline aisling

« Reply #112 on: September 01, 2009, 01:08:39 AM »
I'm going to try to do this. I tried to do the WiaW but my life is in flux at the moment and my commitments keep growing (this is a good thing though). I did manage to got muslins done and dusted for the WiaW. I need to change the pants as that pattern is not the best pattern for.

I'm aiming for stuff for late spring/early summer. I also really, really need this stuff asap. I've change the layering top to a bottom as the jacket is quite light. I would like to knit a wrap but that isn't going to happen any time soon.

Jacket from Vogue 2636 in grey wool crepe
Two tanks from Simplicity 4500. One in a yellow linen rayon blend, one in a dull red ramie.
Tanks from Vogue 2925. I need fabric for this and so will probably be the last done.
Pants from (I hope) Vogue 2925 in grey wool crepe
Skirt from Butterick ?6300 in grey wool crepe

I need to buy threads and linings. I also need to locate or buy more sewing machine bobbins.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 01:22:23 AM by aisling »

Offline DebbieY

• Debs Needle & Thread
« Reply #113 on: September 01, 2009, 02:39:51 AM »
I am not sure if I will be able to achieve this, my sewing skills are not quite up to scratch and I don't have a huge amount of spare time, but I will give it a go. It's Spring here now but who knows what the weather will throw at us after the last two weeks, but I think I will plan as though we are going to have a Spring and not jump straight into Summer. With that in mind I will be aiming for ...

1. Pants or skirt - black denim - pattern not decided
2. Sleeveless Vest - black denim - Kwik Sew 3618
3. Lightweight Trench Coat - White or Yellow Poplin - Burda 1/2008 #129
4. Shirt - White Stretch Cotton Shirting with grey/black stripe - pattern not decided
5. Top - Black/white/yellow floral stretch cotton - pattern not decided
6. Blouse or Top - tba

Of course this is subject to change as I am more than likely going to change my mind at least once, or twice, or .... :)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 03:10:13 AM by DebbieY01 »

Offline LauraM

« Reply #114 on: September 01, 2009, 03:46:00 AM »
  Except sometimes it's M&Ms...

Carole, M&M's and I have a special relationship........ :redgrin:
I can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #115 on: September 01, 2009, 05:04:48 AM »
.. With that in mind I will be aiming for ...

Hi Deb

I took a peek at your blog tonight but didn't see an opportunity to make comments.  It's a really lovely blog.  Although you made similar posts here on SG, I enjoyed reading your blog too!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 05:06:26 AM by sdBev »

Offline Lisanne

« Reply #116 on: September 01, 2009, 08:09:39 AM »
We should have one incentive for finishing, and one for finishing in good time!  So how about  you mentally chalk up one yard for each item you finish, but you aren't allowed to actually PURCHASE any fabric until you have reached the end of your personal goal (as I know some people aren't planning to make six items).  And in any month you finish two or more items you can buy some kind of accessory. 
Elizabeth

Now that is a lovely idea 

I'm a handbag freak, so I think if could manage to make two things in a month (admit it's usually a challenge for me to make one  :D)  then my prize would be some special bag handles.
Does this make you feel special  ;D  if not, try something else

Sewingplums
Easy Jackets - mainly links to jacket tutorials, in left menu
Aim for Quality - links to good on-line tutorials for sewing basics

Offline Lisanne

« Reply #117 on: September 01, 2009, 09:04:24 AM »
Lisanne: why not just cut the fabric for one piece, rather than planning any more?  Pick your favourite, or the one you most need, and start!

Thanks Elizabeth for the excellent suggestion.  I'm realising that making a wardrobe in a season is not a realistic idea for me at present.  What will be much better for me will be to pick one TNT to develop and then make several versions of it.  Thanks for widening my blinkered thinking :D

And this season I think I will work on a tunic. . .  have picked out the pattern and what I need to do to it.
Does this make you feel special  ;D  if not, try something else

Sewingplums
Easy Jackets - mainly links to jacket tutorials, in left menu
Aim for Quality - links to good on-line tutorials for sewing basics

Offline ejvc

• Machine-Knitting Cryptographer and Plan-Bot
  • Me about age 2
    • The Fabulous Dr E's Fabulous Blog
« Reply #118 on: September 01, 2009, 11:35:22 AM »
Piping back in:

My idea for the seasonal collection is that you sew six pieces over 3 months.  If you want to sew them all in September, go ahead!  In October, you bet! In November, why not?  It's tailor-made for those of us who sew at a more leisurely pace, although I'm bound to say that waiting until November to sew your whole fall wardrobe might leave you with relatively little time to wear it before the snow kicks in.  

Also, this is the first part of a yearly seasonal plan.  In my mind, there is always seasonal sewing going on in co-ordinated bunches, while there is still time to fit in other things, such as dolly clothes, sparkly bags, yoga outfits, and couture evening dresses...

In other words, it's the first step, not the last.  Planning is fun.  Having a great wardrobe is, IMO, better.  My ultimate goal is a completely handmade wardrobe.  Because I can, that's why.  But do feel free to use and adapt the concept for your own.  Check out the first post in this thread for my blog entry on the subject.

Elizabeth

PS Lisanne: I love the idea of a good tunic pattern.  Just try it.  I know you will do well.  

ETA: From the Wardrobe and Capsule Planning References thread -- the full scheme and sample yearly wardrobe output, for you planning fans :-)

Six-piece seasonal collections

SPRING & AUTUMN
Skirt or trousers (neutral)
3 blouses/tops (1 to match, 2 to complement)
Cardigan (to match skirt/trousers)
Coat or jacket (co-ordinating neutral)

SUMMER
Dress
Skirt (fun colour)
4 blouses/tops (1 to match skirt, 3 to complement)

WINTER
Trousers (dark neutral)
2 Tops (1 to match, 1 to complement)
2 Cardigans/Jackets (1 to match, 1 to complement)
Coat (dark netural)

So as examples for my colours, in a kind of casual classic style:

Spring: chinos, tan safari-style shirt, nautical navy-stripe top, crisp white shirt, tan knit cardigan, navy cotton twill double-breasted short jacket

Summer: flowery print dress (with red in it), red fun skirt, red camisole, red/white flower print top, white eyelet blouse, sheer white cover-up

Autumn: navy tweed skirt, red silk shirt, navy print blouse with 3/4 sleeves, red/tan plaid blouse, knitted navy vest, navy tweed jacket to match skirt

Winter: navy wool trousers, navy turtleneck, red high-neck long-sleeve knit top, red knit cardigan (ie twinset), navy v-neck cardigan, camel winter coat

24 pieces for the year, 2 per month, and the total looks like this:
Bottoms (4): chinos, red fun skirt, navy tweed skirt, navy wool trousers
Dress (1): flower print with red
Tops (11): safari shirt, nautical navy stripe top, crisp white shirt, red camisole, red/white flower print top, white eyelet blouse, red silk shirt, navy print blouse with 3/4 sleeves, red/tan plaid blouse, navy turtleneck, red high-neck long-sleeve knit top
Layering tops (5): tan knit cardigan, sheer white cover-up, knitted navy vest, red knit cardigan, navy v-neck cardigan
Jackets/coats (3): navy twill double-breasted jacket, navy tweed jacket, camel winter coat

« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 11:43:34 AM by ejvc »
My blog is at http://ejvc.wordpress.com

Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden!

Offline ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #119 on: September 01, 2009, 11:36:19 AM »
Laura, you have the prize "rules" exactly right.

Offline owara

• Notes from the Sewing Studio
« Reply #120 on: September 01, 2009, 01:26:08 PM »
i think i may have a running chance of winning an accessory this month.  :)

got the patterns drafted for 2 tops.
going to cut the fabric tomorrow since i have homework tonight.
(i'm 12/13 hours ahead of NY here so it's about 9:30pm).

only trouble is: i have already purchased 4 metres of fabric.
sorry, got carried away when i saw this lovely vintage looking pleated fabric.

does it count if i promise not to use it until i've completed 4 pieces?

jean

• The Wilted Magnolia
  • Brenda
    • The Wilted Magnolia
« Reply #121 on: September 01, 2009, 02:44:19 PM »
trip to town for potato chips to console me while I was reading a murder mystery
  That's what I do, too!  Except sometimes it's M&Ms...

LOL  I should have gotten some of those too!

• The Wilted Magnolia
  • Brenda
    • The Wilted Magnolia
« Reply #122 on: September 01, 2009, 04:10:45 PM »

"Sew" I probably shouldn't ask for pictures!! ;D ;D

ROTFLOL Marciae, you can, but they would show a very badly mangled pair of pants!  ;D I know better than to try and create when I'm NOT in the mood!

You know, I have them on now....hmmm....should take a pic just to see how the silhouette looks on me....

GASP! Ok. Things one should do before taking pics.  Vacuum. Lose 20 pounds. Iron anything linen, then don't move.  NEVER wear a carrot silhouette if you're bigger than a size 2 and/or short and fluffy!!! LOL  I look like a linebacker. Hysterical.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 07:21:55 PM by BC Designs »

Offline JenSA

• Jen's Pots & Pins
« Reply #123 on: September 01, 2009, 05:16:49 PM »
With WiaW finished, I've decided to jump in here.

I'll be continuing with a black/white capsule I started last year. I want to use up some stash, so that is perfect as I have a freaky amount of black fabric right now. My only concern is that there is too much black, so I might change up later. I'm adding a bit of colour in my layering piece, a waistcoat or vest made from a patchwork of Amy Butler cottons in mist & grey.

1) Black silk blouse Simplicity 3887 View C same pattern I used for WiaW
2) White shirt Bamboo Shirt thought it look different
3) Black dress with black/white polka dot accent New Look 6589 View Cinstead of 3rd top
4) Black bottoms pattern TBD once I've made the tops to see what'll work with them.
5) Amy butler fabric (bottom) mist/grey colour vest or waistcoat type. Pattern TBD.
6) Raincoat pattern TBD, using black rainwear fabric.

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #124 on: September 02, 2009, 01:29:27 AM »
With WiaW finished, I've decided to jump in here.

I'll be continuing with a black/white capsule I started last year. I want to use up some stash, so that is perfect as I have a freaky amount of black fabric right now. My only concern is that there is too much black, ...

This is not bad.  It is very practical to create the majority of your basic pieces from one color, and black has long been a very sophisticated choice.  Your decision to add color in your layering can be extended to your accessories shoes, gloves, earrings etc.  It's a very good plan, don't feel negative about it at all.

Offline DebbieY

• Debs Needle & Thread
« Reply #125 on: September 02, 2009, 03:23:20 AM »
The basic colours I am starting with are black and white and I will be adding yellow and a little grey into the mix and I don't think it will take too much to introduce some more colours in the future. I can see it all coming together now. I have to admit I am pretty good at the planning stage, it's just getting the time to make it all happen that I have trouble with.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 03:59:47 AM by DebbieY01 »

Offline KathrynT

« Reply #126 on: September 02, 2009, 03:35:36 AM »
Bev, I love your avatar!  Your comment about black and being sophisticated is spot on, but after reading it, when I look across to your avatar, I think "What does she care?  She's on holidays."  I realise you are no longer on holidays, but it's such a carefree photo.  You look  so happy and relaxed.

Offline JenSA

• Jen's Pots & Pins
« Reply #127 on: September 02, 2009, 12:49:09 PM »
Thanks for the reassurances. The reason I started with black and white is that it will go with everything else in my wardrobe, making it very versatile. I usually wouldn't wear black top & bottoms on their own, but I would if I was wearing a colourful vest or sweater or jacket, colour really pops against a black background. I have some great colourful jewelery , scarves and other accessories too.

I cut out my silk blouse yesterday and I should start sewing today.

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #128 on: September 02, 2009, 02:12:38 PM »
I finished a top and a pair of pants - pants fit great - took pics but they didn't turn out.  The top - well, that's another story - it's just too big across the neckline - it's an old OOP pattern that I LOVE but the neck has always been a problem.  I "could" probably fix it - will I - who knows!!  However I'm just now thinking that these things were cut out and the top made the end of Aug so they won't count!! ??? ???
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...  'Oh darn ........ she's awake!!'

• The Wilted Magnolia
  • Brenda
    • The Wilted Magnolia
« Reply #129 on: September 02, 2009, 02:42:22 PM »
LOL  At least your pants turned out great Marciae! I'll be back in the sewing room today....I think...see if I'm ready for another round. Cutting out CJ's travel trio jacket. I'm using a fabric that if it's another bad sewing day, it can go in the trash and NOTcome back out!  ;D

Jensa, can't go wrong with black if it works for you! Wish I could wear white too, it always looks so crisp and elegant.   I want to make a trench coat also but maybe in the next round, still to hot here to wear fall clothes.

Offline Janis

• My Blog
« Reply #130 on: September 02, 2009, 03:35:47 PM »

GASP! Ok. Things one should do before taking pics.  Vacuum. Lose 20 pounds. Iron anything linen, then don't move.  NEVER wear a carrot silhouette if you're bigger than a size 2 and/or short and fluffy!!! LOL  I look like a linebacker. Hysterical.

:rotfl:

I have been sorely tempted to make a pair of those carrot pants, but I'd have to lose 30 years first!
"This is emphatically not a quick project, just savour the process..."  Ann Rowley

My Blog
http://janssewingroom.wordpress.com

Offline odawa

« Reply #131 on: September 02, 2009, 05:48:18 PM »
I picked up some cute fabrics this weekend  Knits for a couple of shirts. The 2 materials are them  I really like the prints of these ones.
I have another one cut out and started sewing, I didnt get to finish yet. its the purpley one, it has like little black flecks in it. 
I checked my wardrobe and for fall I have tons of browns, denims and greens(shirts)  mostly casual.  I'd like to dress it up a bit as I just bought some really cute jackets and pants

Offline odawa

« Reply #132 on: September 02, 2009, 05:49:43 PM »
forgot to post the prints.  Here are the blue and brown knit material.  I'm not really into the blues so I'm stepping out of my comfort zone.

Offline ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #133 on: September 02, 2009, 08:08:24 PM »
Don't worry about starting before September, Marcia.  It's a sew-along, so the rules are far from hard and fast. 

I spent today sewing.  The whole day.  This is amazing.  The first day in, well, forever.  It's because I didn't do my other work.  But did I work on the autumn collection?  No, I made a dress for my daughter for my sister's upcoming wedding (next Friday).  I didn't finish the dress, but it is, in a word, awesome.  It's made of gold and plum silk brocade, lined with plum silk organza.  It has an inverted pleat in the front.  I made organza bias strips, used them to cover piping cord, and piped the edges of the pleat, the sleeve edges, and the collar.   And the best part -- I never read the pattern instructions.  Couldn't!  They're in Spanish and my Spanish is limited to airport travelling...  Anyway it has been perfect and fun and engaging and I haven't made a mess of it.  And my sewing machine stopped sewing in the middle of the whole thing.  I took a deep breath, removed the cover they say you aren't to remove (NOT USER SERVICEABLE), and oiled the mechanism that makes the needle go up and down, via the little oil hole that was about the only thing I recognised in there.  And then it started working great again.  Did I mention the silk brocade has a big pattern repeat?  Which I matched very perfectly?  I am very proud of myself.  And the best thing is, since it's for a little girl, no fitting issues and no feeling frumpy when I see myself.  Grand.  All sewing days should be like this.  Well, bar the machine failure.

I can't post pictures right now because I dropped my camera on holiday and broke it and also my computer has had a fatal hard drive crash, so it no longer works.  I'm using my husband's computer right now but I don't think he can easily download the pix from my phone.  You'll just have to take my word for it, the thing is fab. 

What remains is attaching the sleeves and hand slip-stitching the sleeve lining to the dress lining (there's probably a better way, but that's the way I know  how to do it, and hey, I'm not using instructions), the hems (lining and shell), buttonholes and buttons.  Oh yeah, and I have to attach some kind of decoration to the front.  The original pattern has buttons, but I think I may do some organza rosettes or something.  I can do anything, you know.

I hope you had that kind of day too.

Offline Janis

• My Blog
« Reply #134 on: September 02, 2009, 09:19:34 PM »
Wow, Elizabeth, don't you just LOVE sewing days like that?  The dress sounds wonderful.  I remember how much fun it is sewing children's clothing (haven't done that in awhile - no grandkids :'().  But, I'm getting a vicarious experience from you.  I do hope you can eventually show us that adorable little dress.  Your daughter is going to feel like a princess.

I just finished my first piece, a burgundy silk top.  I was going to take a picture of it, but my camera battery was dead, so I'm patiently waiting for it to charge.  Soon.

ETA:  Odawa, I just saw your prints.  They are lovely, and I'm sure the blue is going to look stunning on you.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 09:23:10 PM by Janis »
"This is emphatically not a quick project, just savour the process..."  Ann Rowley

My Blog

Offline indigotiger

« Reply #135 on: September 02, 2009, 11:03:55 PM »
I haven't started sewing yet (sigh) as this week is totally given up to preparing for an all-day art fair demo on Saturday. But I did find a light burgundy color 100% cotton jersey knit bedsheet at Goodwill to make at least one trial muslin for the Simplicity jumper. If it turns out wearable, I may even try overdying it to a color that I wear, if I can figure out what color to add. Red garments are just not for me, they accentuate my rosacea, :redgrin: , not a good look at all...

So, sewing will commence here at Acorn Cottage by the end of the Labor Day weekend.
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Offline DebbieY

• Debs Needle & Thread
« Reply #136 on: September 02, 2009, 11:17:36 PM »
Well done to those that have already started, you don't mess about do you!

I have purchased some fabric for my lightweight trench and it's in the washing machine now, I also purchased the pattern I needed for the vest (waistcoat) and a few other bits and pieces and once I get everything around here sorted I am going to get started too but I am not sure what I want to do firstl.

Have a great day girls ...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 12:39:19 AM by DebbieY01 »

Offline Janis

• My Blog
« Reply #137 on: September 03, 2009, 12:21:15 AM »
Here's my first piece.  The good news about this blouse is that is actually fits me!  I've had trouble fitting tops due to my narrow shoulders and full bust.  Anyway, I think I finally have a handle on the fitting issues, so I'm pretty happy.

My Blog

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #138 on: September 03, 2009, 02:18:29 AM »
Elizabeth - the dress sounds awesome!!

Janis - love the style and fit of the blouse - looks good on.  Good color for you.

I'm trying to get packed so we can leave early Fri morn.  At 1:00 I realized I had out my navy fabric to cut a pair of pants and a jacket!! ::) ::)  I quickly put it all away, put down the cutting table and told myselt WAIT until you get back and have time to THINK about the cutting out, etc.!! ;D ;D  I also have a blouse that I started two months ago - a 'muslin' of sorts as I'm still trying to fit my top half!  I need to finish the blouse and see how the fit of that pattern is!

I have the Islander System town/country shirt - want to trace that.  My head is spinning with 'things' - - just not enough time in the day!!

Offline DebbieF

• Thinking couture
« Reply #139 on: September 03, 2009, 01:41:00 PM »
Janis, pray tell, what solution did you find for the narrow shoulder-full bust combo?  I just gave up and started using a size that corresponded to my full bust and took huge slashes of pattern to fit my narrow, rounded, forward shoulders!

I think I might actually join this challenge.  I just moved, due to a mold problem in my old apartment, and my new apartment is so bright and sunny, I actually want to be organized and productive!

Just last night I bought a shelving unit that fits from floor to ceiling in the closet in my sewing room.  I re-washed and dried all the fabric I felt was safe to bring into the new place, and it is sitting on those shelves.  I even have room for all the interfacing and various notions and extras that I salvaged.  My sewing tables are in place, the machines are up, and all that's left is to unpack and organize some patterns.  Luckily I put most of my patterns in ziploc bags, so I just had to wash off the bag when I moved. 

I have had to toss a few boxes though.  As soon as I opened them, my allergy symptoms returned and I didn't want to take the chance of contaminating my new home, so if the symptoms were really severe, I just took the box and put it in the dumpster.  I don't think I'll really miss any of it...I had so much that it was overwhelming, and I think it actually hindered my creativity.

I could really use six, coordinated pieces for fall, or what goes for all here in Florida.  I saved and re-washed some beautiful crepe suiting in a variety of colors, black, brown, camel and cream, along with some nice printed jerseys and ITY and a few pieces of doubleknit in camel and gray.  I have just a few pieces of blouse weight, but I really don't wear a lot of blouses, I prefer knits.  I have four days off for the holiday weekend, so once I'm done unpacking, it may be time to plan some serious sewing.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics