Author Topic: Six-piece autumn collection sew-along  (Read 81258 times)

Offline ejvc

• Machine-Knitting Cryptographer and Plan-Bot
  • Me about age 2
    • The Fabulous Dr E's Fabulous Blog
Six-piece autumn collection sew-along
« on: August 22, 2009, 08:04:51 PM »
We've been discussing this on the SWAP thread and I've decided: now IS the time! 

Some time ago, I proposed a six-piece seasonal collection sewing plan which suits me better than SWAP, although that is a great contest and I've seen some wonderful garments come out of it.  The plan is outlined on the Wardrobe and Capsule Planning References thread and also on my blog.

In summary: Each season (3 months) you sew six pieces that co-ordinate. If you pick four colours (ideally 3 neutrals and an accent) in a year you *should* have a very easy wardrobe to pick from. But each season would still co-ordinate if you wanted to shift colours between seasons. The collection for Autumn should include:

Skirt or trousers (neutral)
3 blouses/tops (1 to match, 2 to complement)
1 Layering top/cardigan (to match skirt/trousers)
Jacket (co-ordinating neutral)

I should emphasize though that this formula is for a temperate climate in a transitional season.  Other climates would of course need to vary.

My colours are mid-blue, navy, cream, and pink/plum for this season.  The pieces I have planned are
1) lined trousers in navy wool gabardine, from my TNT Vogue 7881.
2) a navy short-sleeved silk blouse (currently a UFO from a Burda pattern)
3) a long-sleeved cream-coloured cotton top of some kind.... (no fabric/pattern yet)
4) a lightish pink long-sleeved cotton top of some kind...(no fabric/pattern yet)
5) a navy hand-knit sweater vest that I started last year.  Gorgeous though!
6) a heathered mid-blue wool jacket, lined in navy silk.  I am very anxious about this, I've never made a jacket before.

I will prioritise 1) 2) and 5) even though they are all navy!

Does anyone else want to play?
My blog is at http://ejvc.wordpress.com

Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden!

Offline Karla

Re: Six-piece autumn collection sew-along
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 09:57:18 PM »
I'm always willing to be a spectator!  ;D

I think you have a nice plan there.  If I could get my act together (always in doubt), I'd join in.  For the sake of climate-driven practicality, I'd probably replace the jacket with a second pair of pants.

Offline Ann

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 10:51:04 PM »
I will watch and cheer from the sidelines. I will be in one place and the fabric will be in another place.
Ann
Lives in Ashcroft, BC Canada - Desert climate and often the hot spot in BC and Canada.

Education is a journey, not a race.

Ann's Blogs
http://everythingsewing.blogspot.com/

Offline DebbieY

• Debs Needle & Thread
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 11:08:04 PM »
I think this is a great idea, but I don't think I will have time to join in this time round. I will watch from the sidelines with great interest and see what everyone comes up with. I hope it all goes well.

Offline RuthieSews

• RuthieSews, sewing in Derbyshire, England
    • SEW RUTHIE
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 11:38:24 PM »
Its a great idea and I would like to join and after WiaW is done and I am back from vacation which will be mid September.
Would that be OK?

Colours would be teal, brown. navy, cream - including one print blouse which has all the colours.

Offline Janis

• My Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 11:57:26 PM »
I'm going to think very seriously about this.  I need a fall wardrobe and I have a rough outline in my head of what it would be.  Here are some thoughts:

The colors would be gray, winter white, light navy, and raspberry or orchid.

The pieces:

1.  A gray and winter white wool jacket in a houndstooth or small check (I'm takeing a jacket class starting in September.  It won't finish until the end of October, so it will depend on the swap deadline, as to whether or not I can include this)  I have my eye on the material at a local fabric shop.

2.  Solid gray wool pants (I have the material)  This will probably be done up in a BWOF pattern that I got from Beebee.  I can't remember what month it was, but I've already made the pants.

3.  Solid winter white pants in either rayon or wool gabardine.  I'll make this up in the TSW Valencia pants, which I've made many times.

4.  Hand knitted gray sweater that I started last year, then put away for the summer.  It's almost finished.

5.  Raspberry or orchid knit top (probably the simplicity cross top or another cowl-neck pattern I have).

6.  Light navy knit top or blouse, not sure.

7.  Winter white knit top (I have the material)

Okay, this was just an exercise with myself to see how it would come out.  I really struggle with putting fabric, patterns, and colors together.  I see that I'm missing prints (except for the jacket), which is always an issue for me.  I like the colors in general though.  Maybe not so much the navy.  I think I would rather have another wow color in there to liven up the gray and winter white - like maybe a periwinkle blue or a grey/green.

Still thinking...

ETA:  Maybe light lemon yellow is the other wow color?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 05:26:15 AM by Janis »
"This is emphatically not a quick project, just savour the process..."  Ann Rowley

My Blog
http://janssewingroom.wordpress.com

Offline nolasewer

• My blog
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 02:17:54 AM »
I may try to unofficially sew along.  I am working full time for the next five weeks at my son's school, and know from this first week that its not helping me want to sew at night!  I'm doing good to keep the laundry caught up, the house cleanish, and food on the table each night and morning.(although I did buy a bunch of toaster waffles this afternoon- yes it was a sale, but it was also laziness on my part!)

I have some things planned from the 2008 SWAP that I never did complete.  Er, that is, the fabric is mostly ready and I need to lay out the patterns, cut the material, and then complete the project.  The colors are coral, white, beige, blue and the suit is a silk tweed that is coral, blue and creamy-white(really not either color, but a strange mix.)
I'd like to get two skirts and the four tops done, that would improve my wardrobe immensely! 
  Here's what I planned:
       1. Blue dress- linen look with embroidery
       2. Coral dress in linen- DONE.
       3. Beige shell in silk duponi
       4. Blue shell in same material as dress
       5. White blouse in peachskin
       6. Coral blouse in peachskin
       7. Grey skirt in mystery material- DONE
       8. Beige skirt in linen
       9. Blue skirt in same material as top and dress
       10. Skirt in silk tweed
       11. Jacket in silk tweed

In reality, if I can get the 4 tops done, I'll be happy- so count me as a watcher, not a true participant! ;D
Sewing complete projects- no UFOs in 2009!

Offline ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 06:59:27 AM »
Well this is just a sew-along, so people can play whenever they want, or alter as they see fit!  In my mind autumn is September-October-November, so it shouldn't conflict with SWAP. 

I won't be able to do anything but the knitting until late September because I'll be travelling anyway.  Well some pattern selection.

Offline Jafael

• My 5x2 Closet
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 07:04:00 AM »
I'm definitely interested! I'll have to think about what to do. The seasonal, six-piece seems to be a pace I might actually be able to keep up with! And I have a desperate need for some exercise wear, and fast, which I think the six pieces would be ideal for.
Jamie

Offline Sergerqueen

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 01:58:23 PM »
I'd like to play.  I've always been a spectator and never joined in any of the SWAPs.  Since this is a sew-along, I like that there are no time constraints.  I will think thru my plan then post.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 11:43:03 PM by Sergerqueen »

Offline clambaby

• Me and my sewing assistant
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 02:14:28 PM »
I think I will do this, but I am not sure if I can distinguish between coordinate, compliment and match - in my head I think I will just think of one bottom, three tops, one cardigan and one jacket/coat. I have enough stash to do this and I have found that with a more limited plan having a sew-along helps keep me motivated. But first I have to get WiaW done.

Offline owara

• Notes from the Sewing Studio
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 02:21:14 PM »
this is so cool.
i draft my own patterns.
am i allowed to join or do we have to use commercial patterns?

jean

http://notesfromthesewingstudio.blogspot.com/

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2009, 03:50:07 PM »
Barbara (clambaby), I've sent you a private message, could you take a look and get back to me? 

Thanks!

Lisa
Found: a favorite silver bracelet that I hadn't seen for a while.  On its four quarters it says "Welcome Introspection; Accept Wisdom; Seek Illumination; Embrace Innocence."   It's like a "magic 8-ball" on the wrist...

Offline ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2009, 04:33:00 PM »
Hey great!  Owara, definitely use any patterns you want.  I love to see self-drafted stuff.  Barbara -- co-ordinate and complement I think are the same, I just used different words.  In my head it means they are variations on a theme - in my case navy and mid-blue, but I could imagine a texture or print would be the co-ordinating fabric.  Whatever, they go together nicely. A match would be the same colour, enough that you could have an "outfit" (ie, my trousers and knitted vest and blouse are all navy and "match" although I imagine I'd rarely wear them together).

Look forward to seeing plans.

I recommend also prioritising three pieces (top, bottom, and layering top or jacket) in case you can only sew one item a month.  That way at least you get an outfit!  And you WIAWs can sew it in a week !!!

Offline indigotiger

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2009, 05:09:40 PM »
I'd like to join in on this, with a bit of a personal twist...
I basically live in sleeveless jumper-dresses, worn over short sleeved tops in the transitional seasons, long sleeved tops in the winter, and worn as sleeveless dresses in the summertime. I have two TNT patterns that I use, only varying the fabric and some of the details. I am a tiny bit bored with my clothing, and I have started on a weight loss journey that is actually beginning to have an effect, I've lost twenty pounds so far (still have a loooong way to go).

What I want to do is to challenge myself to add some style variety to my dresses, and make six different styles of jumpers.

I already have quite a few blouses and knit tops suitable for autumn, so I don't think sewing more will help my wardrobe. But having a variety of jumper options to choose from every day would be delightful. My color choices are in the grey/indigo/black/chocolate range. While I usually draft my own patterns, I did purchase Simplicity 2840, since it is so different from my usual and I found it appealing.

so, I may be different, but I'm in...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 05:16:40 PM by indigotiger »
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Offline owara

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2009, 06:17:21 PM »
thanks! this sew along is exactly what i need to discipline myself.
i'm great with deadlines when it involves other people, but when it comes to myself.......

2 pieces a month is achievable with everything else going on in my life.

got a capsule plan already, but have not done anything about it yet *sigh*
i'm not sure how to upload images here, so here's the link

http://notesfromthesewingstudio.blogspot.com/2009/08/this-is-hopefully-going-to-be-my-new.html

there are 7 pieces, so i'm going to drop the over-shirt. we are hot & humid all year round so i won't need this.
in summary, here are the pieces

3 tops
1 pants
1 skirt
1 dress

jean
http://notesfromthesewingstudio.blogspot.com/

Offline LauraTS

• Chiral Craft
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2009, 07:41:35 PM »
Elizabeth, you read my mind! Ever since you posted a link to your blog post on the SWAP thread I've been thinking about doing a fall capsule based on your plan. I've had several sorts and resorts of my fabric into different 'collections', and I think I'm finally going with a mid-gray/rose/darker-rose/cream scheme. Right now I'm thinking of doing:
- gray with cream pinstripe suiting - skirt, asymmetric, perhaps a Vogue OOP I have or a skirt from Knipmode
- rose jersey - wrap top of some sort
- rose/darker rose jersey print - wrap or twist top
- cream jersey - knit top and cardigan
- rose sweater knit - light jacket

I will plan to get photos of the fabrics and patterns sometime soon.

Jean, your plan looks great - your drawing is lovely, I wish my croquis looked so elegant!
I blog about sewing at http://chiralcraft.wordpress.com

Do you sew from KnipMode? Join us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/knipmode_english/

Offline Susan in Saint John

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2009, 08:24:18 PM »
I think this has possibilities.  I need some pants for fall/winter so my 6 piece collection would include more bottoms.  I'm still working on wardrobe in a week so I won't develop my plan until that's finished.

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2009, 09:35:41 PM »
I'm really leaning into doing this.  I haven't seriously looked at my fall/winter clothing since I put it away last April.  I'm in a geographic area that has 4 distinct seasons.  Sewing geared towards the seasons is much more in line with my personal needs. I haven't changed weight, but did conquer the tendancy to gain weight when away from home.  That was a real challenge for me.  I'm keenly interest in the SWAP, but don't really need the number and mix of garments specified by SWAP rules.  I need to lose more weight, but took the vow 6 years ago to sew for the body I have now.  I know there will be some of my fall clothing that needs to be weeded out just because it's gotten old and little ratty.  I was really interest in the 64-garment plan with 7-in and 7-out each season; even repurposed 3 garments and tossed 6 from my summer wardrobe.  Well,,   I need to think about this more before I commit.

ETA:  I'm glad you purposed this sew-along.  It seems to be timely and very much what I need.

Offline Janis

• My Blog
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2009, 10:16:10 PM »
Ah, sew-along - that takes some pressure off.  I will definitely be involved in this.  I'm already fabric shopping  ;D
"This is emphatically not a quick project, just savour the process..."  Ann Rowley

My Blog

Offline kiltsnquilts

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2009, 11:10:59 PM »
I am very keen to be involved too, but my capsule would have to be a spring one as we are coming to the end of our winter here in NZ  ;)  Will it matter that the seasons aren't the same?  I suppose as it is a sew along it probably won't, actually I would imagine that with the varying weather patterns in the US, someone will be living somewhere where their 'autumn/fall' wardrobe will be the same as my 'spring'  ;D
Your waist is just your waist, YOU are more than the sum of your measurements.

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2009, 01:48:01 AM »
I am very keen to be involved too, but my capsule would have to be a spring one as we are coming to the end of our winter here in NZ  ;)  Will it matter that the seasons aren't the same?  I suppose as it is a sew along it probably won't, actually I would imagine that with the varying weather patterns in the US, someone will be living somewhere where their 'autumn/fall' wardrobe will be the same as my 'spring'  ;D

I believe the idea is "seasonal" appropriate sewing.  Be sure to read Elizabeth's blog.

Offline MsFunk

• funkSimile Cinematic Replica Clothing
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2009, 01:51:02 AM »
while I am an irrepressable pessimist, it appears I may need some new office clothes in the near future (knock on wood and don't count the chickens) so I'll be in.  I actually already made two new skirts last week in fall colors so I might use one of them as the bottom, if that's okay.  If not, I have one more skirt cut out that needs making. 

Offline DebbieY

• Debs Needle & Thread
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2009, 01:52:16 AM »

If I join in I think I will skip Spring and go straight to Summer, it's gone from our usual mid Winter temps to Summer in less than a week (it could reach 33c today). I was thinking about making a lightweight Spring Trench (hip length) but I might have to wait till Autumn now or it would probably just sit in the wardrobe

Offline PNRLori

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2009, 02:02:10 AM »
Hi All
I'm new here and have been reading about the sew-along.  Is this open to anyone, (I've only been a member a little over a week)?  I've read thru posting rules, etc. for new members and am excited to get started.  I desperately need to revamp my wardrobe and am hoping this sew-along will give me the inspiration I need.  I haven't been doing any serious sewing for a few years and my wardrobe shows the result.  At one time I sewed at least 80 - 90% of clothes.  In anticipation of joining I've been trying to decide on patterns and fabric. 
Lori

Offline kiltsnquilts

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2009, 02:10:32 AM »
Ooh DebbieYO1, a lightweight trench sounds lovely!  I had also planned to make one and have the perfect olive green stretch cotton, actually it would be perfect for our spring/summer weather, here it doesn't tend to get too warm and dry until January, October to December can often be quite wet and a bit grey, although often not too cold.  You have got me thinking now  :)

Your waist is just your waist, YOU are more than the sum of your measurements.

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2009, 02:51:17 AM »
Lori - welcome to SG!  Yes, this is open to all - the more the merrier.  This site is loaded with a lof of help and expertise.  We're all here to help each other - glad you found us.

I refuse to tip toe cautiously thru life only to arrive safely at deaths door.
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...  'Oh darn ........ she's awake!!'
Age may wrinkle the face, but lack of enthusiasm wrinkles the soul

Offline ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2009, 07:25:52 AM »
The more the merrier.  As I said this is a sew-along; the purpose is to encourage each other to complete the seasonal collection.  Spring and summer are also OK -- I've proposed the same mix of garments for spring but for summer the jacket is replaced by a dress and the trousers by a skirt.  But of course it's up to you.

If I could just reflect a bit more on the original concept:  the idea is, over the course of a year, to create a "core wardrobe" of flexible separates.  In that, it certainly resembles the original swap concept. Because the sewing demands are fairly light (at least for those superhumans who finish WIAW and SWAP :-)) the idea is that you would still have time to add in some funky pieces during the year.  It's meant to be a kind of ongoing core building/replenishing scheme, with evening and exercise and go-go-dancing outside the scope of the original idea :-)

Offline StitchWench

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2009, 10:55:07 AM »
I basically live in sleeveless jumper-dresses, worn over short sleeved tops in the transitional seasons, long sleeved tops in the winter, and worn as sleeveless dresses in the summertime.
Can I butt in & ask for the design details of your jumper dresses? You currently 'live in' the look I need for what is optimistically called Spring, Summer & Autumn here.
TIA
StitchWench

Offline Janis

• My Blog
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2009, 03:05:00 PM »
I just read Elizabeth's blog about the capsules, and I highly recommend everyone do so.  It is very interesting, and will give you some new insight into making a seasonal capsule.  Thanks so much, Elizabeth.

After reading the blog, I've decided to go with a solid color jacket, instead of the check/tweed.  That way, I can incorporate some prints in the tops.  And ultimately, that jacket will go with many more items from my closet.  I've decided the jacket will have a texture to it, for interest.  I like that idea because I had my heart set on the check or tweed, and a flat solid just doesn't inspire me.  Still working on it...

My Blog

Offline indigotiger

« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2009, 03:33:41 PM »
StitchWench - After work today, I'm going to draw up a storyboard with some sketches of my ideas for this project, and I'll post it here. Having the images all collected on one page helps me think about which fabrics will look best with which styles. When I participated in SWAP2005, I found using a storyboard to be really helpful, here is a picture of my 2005 storyboard. What I discovered from that SWAP was that I really don't wear separates, and that my jumpers get worn 'till they literally wear out. So rather than fight my natural "style", I'm going to give it free reign...
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Offline The Wilted Magnolia

• The Wilted Magnolia
  • Brenda
    • The Wilted Magnolia
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2009, 03:39:57 PM »
I wanna play! Can I play? :pinkpom:  Pick me!  Pick me!  LOL  (Sorry, just couldn't resist!)

I have NOTHING to wear!  I really need inspiration and something to kick me in motion.  6 pieces is in three months is a reasonable goal.

I'll have to go prowl through the stash to pick my colors.  Plum/deep purple or aubergine will be my neutral, no mystery there!  Red hair, blue eyes and white skin....no black or white....pleasseee.....bleck.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 03:44:00 PM by BC Designs »

Offline Carole

• I love to sew, dance, read, and play tennis.
    • Mia's Sewing Room
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2009, 04:27:04 PM »
BC, I look forward to seeing your progress.  I'm going to try to sew along, but I'll be gone most of September so don't know if I'll finish.  It will be fun to set the goal, though!

Offline The Wilted Magnolia

• The Wilted Magnolia
  • Brenda
    • The Wilted Magnolia
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2009, 04:32:49 PM »
Hey Carole!  It's so hard for me to make neutrals, instead of something over the top, it will be interesting! LOL  Hmmmm....you could make 3 pieces before you go and 3 pieces when you get back?

Offline owara

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2009, 09:24:06 PM »
LauraTS,
thanks. the fashion design course is helping me improve on figure drawing.

PNRLori,
welcome and it'll be great to have you sew along.  :)

Indigotiger,
loved your 2005 storyboard and it's a great way to see the style and fabric co-ordinations.
if you don't mind, i'm going steal your idea and do up a story board too.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics