Author Topic: Stash Busting  (Read 11059 times)

Offline theresa in tucson

• Subscribed Member
Re: Stash Busting
« Reply #140 on: July 27, 2018, 11:01:30 PM »
It's still hot and sticky but we do have some cloud cover which means there is rain coming.  Weatherman says it's coming next week.  I do hope so, my grapefruit tree is looking so bad.  I finished up my cushion and then did one more curtain for a terrace door.  The jeans are cut out and I have only to switch thread on the sewing machine.  My Bernina is acting up and skipping stitches so I am using the old black Singer.

On the stash front, we went to IKEA yesterday to pick up some cabinets for the laundry room.  While we were in Phoenix I wanted to check out the SAS fabric stores.  There are three, one in Tempe and two in Phoenix itself.  IKEA is in Tempe so we went to the Tempe SAS after picking up our cabinets.  I was looking for ASU (Arizona State) Sun Devil fabric.  They had none and cannot get any more.  There is some kind of litigation going on so no telling when or if they will get any more.  DH spotted some "beer" fabric and said it would be nice to have another shirt.  An enabler   :applause2: after my own heart.  When we were checking out he spotted a "first responder" printed panel so we went back and got that and there on the counter was an Alexander Henry "zombie" fabric.  Who could resist?  We did not go to the other two SAS stores.  We did enough damage in Tempe.  Backslid again and not feeling a bit guilty! :D

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #141 on: July 27, 2018, 11:35:06 PM »
I Backslid again and not feeling a bit guilty! :D

YAY, Theresa!  I can feel that fabric purchasing urge making its way here (truth be told, it's already in residence, I am just trying to resist a little longer). 

I am hoping to cut out the sheath dress from the wool crepe over the weekend.  Unfortunately from a stash busting angle, I decided I wasn't happy with the color of the lining I had bought back in January for it, so I emailed Sawyer Brook (since I bought the wool crepe from them) and asked for a best match in their ambiance lining.  So two more yards are winging their way to me.

But hopefully they will get sewn up quickly along with the crepe and I plan to use my organic batiste originally slated for a blouse to underline.

(Have to say, I am continuing to be impressed with Sawyer Brook's customer support.  I may have to start getting their swatch catalogs, but that will ruin any stash busting discipline I am still clinging to.)

Offline Towanda

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #142 on: July 28, 2018, 12:53:29 AM »
I got the 40% off sale email from Michael's and I have to pick up some lining that I ordered. Tomorrow I'm treating myself to a trip to the store.  I'm falling off the horse big time :D

Offline angelsweb

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #143 on: July 28, 2018, 04:10:10 AM »
I got the 40% off sale email from Michael's and I have to pick up some lining that I ordered. Tomorrow I'm treating myself to a trip to the store.  I'm falling off the horse big time :D

Do you mean Michael's/A Fabric Place in Baltimore? Two friends and I met there today. I was relatively restrained ... only two pieces of fabric followed me  home. Even with a sale, I could spend so much money there!

Offline Towanda

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #144 on: July 28, 2018, 04:29:15 PM »

Do you mean Michael's/A Fabric Place in Baltimore? Two friends and I met there today. I was relatively restrained ... only two pieces of fabric followed me  home. Even with a sale, I could spend so much money there!

Yep, I'm headed there in a couple of hours. I've been working 12-16 hour days and need some fabric therapy.

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #145 on: August 05, 2018, 06:05:38 AM »
I've come up with a new rule for the stash:  "You can buy it if it's for someone else (unselfish sewing) and it must be made immediately."  How's that for incentive?  I have my eye on a western Christmas fabric for a shirt for the Texas brother-in-law who always sends us the best Christmas cards.

I spent the evening in the sewing room finishing up a pair of blue jeans to replace the Wranglers that are getting worn out.  I fit these a bit tighter than my work jeans and really like them.  Tomorrow I need to put on the belt loops, too tired to mess with them tonight.

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #146 on: August 05, 2018, 07:25:40 AM »
I'm on 98 metres sewn so far this year. One more garment and it'll be 100 metres.
I've bought 62 metres though so need so sew some more beyond the 100 to get to a 2 to 1 ratio.
I'm trying to sew twice as much as I buy to gradually reduce the stash.

Offline Ann

• Subscribed Member
    • Everything Sewing
« Reply #147 on: August 05, 2018, 09:53:14 AM »
I have sewn 23.87 meters this year and bought 4.5 meters. I am hoping to get most of that 4.5 meters sewn up before the end of December.

I just finished testing a pattern for a doll and am now going to move on to sewing larger items. There are no new patterns to test at this time. I am looking forward to sewing up more of the stash this month. Feeling inspired to cut out items that have been lingering in the background for a while.

Ann
Education is a journey not a race.

http://everythingsewing.blogspot.ca/

Offline LynnH

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #148 on: August 05, 2018, 01:52:45 PM »
Does the purchase of muslin for making muslins count as stash building or not?  I buy it by the bolt which brings in 25 yards at a time.  I've used about 12 yards so far testing.

Lynn
Only slightly joking about the question!

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #149 on: August 05, 2018, 03:29:44 PM »
Lynn, muslin is what I refer to as "bench stock" or "pantry staples".  It's an essential and does not count as stash.

Offline LynnH

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #150 on: August 05, 2018, 07:48:45 PM »
Good point!  That is enabling me to actually sew the good stuff by making sure I have the fit and proportions down pat.
Lynn

Offline mudcat

• Subscribed Member
  • Sonoran Desert / subtropical
« Reply #151 on: August 06, 2018, 01:02:07 AM »
In my view, if you're using fabric it counts.

I am at 24 but about 7 of it was for the binding and back of the quilt I recently completed.  Since the top was completed last year I'm not counting it.  In reality I bought 3 yards for the border/binding but it was also from last year so I'm still counting it.

I can't seem to motivate myself to sew.  I'm quite tired of our hot weather.  It seems like summer just gets longer and longer with the 100+ days.

Offline Ann

• Subscribed Member
    • Everything Sewing
« Reply #152 on: August 06, 2018, 09:57:30 AM »
I think the rules of stash busting are your own. If you don't want to count your bolt of muslin, then you don't as your goal may be to sew up 50 yards of your garment fabric. I buy children sized leggings for doll clothes and may or may not include them in my purchases.

I hear you on the heat. We finally got a break yesterday from the intense heat and had 1.5" of rain fall Saturday afternoon to Sunday noon. It was 15C this morning and we are enjoying the cool as it is suppose to get to 31C today. With the humidex, it will be closer to 38C. It certainly does affect my sewing or lack of it.

Ann

Offline Helen M

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #153 on: August 06, 2018, 10:47:39 AM »
Mudcat I too am tired of our most unusual hot weather, 13 weeks so far and just read that they expect it to go on until October  :o If we had air conditioning it would be bearable!
Sewing in Cheshire

[/url]

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #154 on: August 06, 2018, 02:19:48 PM »
We had a sprinkle of rain early this morning that woke me up.  Absolutely nothing smells better than the desert after a rain. 

We don't have AC but use evap cooling.  Every time I'm ready to pull the plug on the evap and install AC something disastrous goes wrong with one or more of the rentals that make me glad I have evap.  With evap, we can do most repairs ourselves.  Right now we have two units with AC problems that need fixing and we just went through a scorcher of a weekend.  The AC contractor is on speed dial.

I misplaced a blouse pattern and still have dark thread on the serger so I'm looking for another quick make in dark fabric before I change over to red and start my red shirt project.  It's probably time to cut into the denim and recover the cushion that's been sitting on the wood box for two weeks.  I don't like home dec sewing so it has been languishing.

Offline Helen M

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #155 on: August 06, 2018, 02:44:58 PM »
Love the smell of rain Theresa, we had a shower a week ago. We have no cooling systems at all in the majority of British homes so the nights are especially hot at the moment.
Sewing in Cheshire

[/url]

Offline mudcat

• Subscribed Member
  • Sonoran Desert / subtropical
« Reply #156 on: August 07, 2018, 03:47:02 AM »
Theresa, I don't think I could deal with an evap year round.  Mr MC bought a portable one last summer for me and the cats when my AC broke.  He was traveling out of country at the time and I had about a two week lead time before they could install (they were backed up).  If it weren't for the cats at the time I would have gone to a hotel but I would have felt too guilty leaving them in the house and I don't think I could have left them in the hotel while I was at work. 

I'm leaving for Alaska on Thursday so I'll have about 12 days of coolness.  :applause2:

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #157 on: August 07, 2018, 05:07:09 AM »
Mudcat, we are not totally on evap.  We put a minisplit in the back bedroom.  It's the sewing room and doubles as the guest room when needed.  It's the hottest room in the house since it makes up the ell and is exposed on three sides.  The house is well insulated and would stay more comfortable if I could just train DH to close doors.  He leaves them open for the animals and I run around closing them. 

Offline Ann

• Subscribed Member
    • Everything Sewing
« Reply #158 on: August 07, 2018, 09:57:12 AM »
Theresa, the smell of the desert after a rain is the most wonderful smell in the world. We would stand outside and breath in the wonderful smell after a rain.

We had a swamp cooler in one of our houses and it worked quite well. Kept the humidity up which the furniture loved and we were cool. We have the ventless splits for a/c and heating but ours are not the right size for this house. Our house is well insulated but it still gets hot. With the humidex (temperature + humidity) we are pushing 100F most days. We are having the longest continuous hot spell ever recorded this year and it could last all this month.

I want to sew some but we are suppose to go and pick blueberries today (this morning) and I should do some shopping. With the temperature getting to 33C or 91F and a humidex  close to 100F, that will be all I will be able to handle. So I am hoping I can sew tomorrow.

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #159 on: August 08, 2018, 01:38:58 PM »
I’ve exceeded my original sewing target of 50 metres so will update the ticker and see if I can hit 100 by the end of the year.  I have bought some lining fabric and the odd bit of fabric since I started this, so it’s not all from the stash, but it’s all going the right direction  :)

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #160 on: August 08, 2018, 04:14:37 PM »
Sounds good, Turquois.  So far I've only sewn up 16 yards but I have another pair of jeans underway, a cushion cover and two blouses cut out so my progress is moving forward.