Author Topic: Beadwork & Jewelry Making ??  (Read 6718 times)

Offline BelleBeryl

Beadwork & Jewelry Making ??
« on: April 08, 2009, 12:49:30 PM »
Anyone else into beadwork and/or jewelry making ?
I am making a seedbeads belt for my daughter. And I just started a necklace sort of like one the Smithsonian online shop has.

Offline Karendee

Re: Beadwork & Jewelry Making ??
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 03:28:48 PM »
I have made quite a few pieces of jewelry from larger gemstones and silver or gold metal. But I have not done any tiny beadwork. It is lovely, but I don't think my eyes could take the tiny beading designs.

Karen

Offline andib

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 10:57:37 PM »
I have been doing mostly wire work...I am thinking about getting a tumbler.  Karen, do you have any experience with them?

Offline BelleBeryl

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 11:16:01 AM »
For the beadwork I use reading glasses 3+ then I can see I work with seedbeads 11/0 and 10/0 and I somehow prefer 10/0

Offline Karendee

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 04:20:11 PM »
Andib,

No experience with a tumbler, but they can be wonderful, I'm told. I make jewelry only for myself and gifts, so I can use only so much in the way of supplies, tools, and raw materials . I am pretty particular with the quality of the stones and metals I use, and make upper quality products. I like a lot of jewelry variety , but can wear only so much. Jewelry making, like knitting or even sewing is not an inexpensive hobby, but I love the end results and love creating.

Karen

Offline BeeBee

• A Million Litte Threads
    • Pastiche
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 04:36:09 PM »
I tried it for a while, but it didn't stick.  Too steep a learning curve (unlike sewing  :rotfl: ).  I gave all my stuff to my neice who loves it.  But I did like the ablilty to re-do it all if you didn't like the result.  Just clip it apart and start over.  Nothing lost but a little string and time.  I've seen some really pretty stuff, but not much from my hands.  I was surprised at how little my aging eyesight bothered me, though.  Of all my issues, not seeing it wasn't one of them.

Offline Zoesews

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
  • Me being Me
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 01:47:38 AM »
I'm just learning to do the peyote stitch and have driven myself nuts trying to do a pretty free-form........as they say, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder......I'm the only one beholding!

Offline dolphin

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 01:06:30 PM »
I love beadwork, I am currently working on a square stitch bracelet.
Happy Sewing!!!!!

Offline RuthieSews

• RuthieSews, sewing in Derbyshire, England
    • SEW RUTHIE
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 08:01:07 PM »
I too love beads, though I got into using the tiny ones and really I need bigger bolder designs for me.
However some of the beads are still not unpacked from the move I guess and I can't find the big box of them.....

Zalin

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 03:15:11 PM »
Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to learn jewelry making? I rarely wear jewelry, but I'm so attracted to all the pretty beads and stones and think it's something I could enjoy learning how to do. Should I take a class, is there a great book to learn from? What's your advice? Thanks.

Offline Shadowe

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 04:34:30 PM »
Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to learn jewelry making? I rarely wear jewelry, but I'm so attracted to all the pretty beads and stones and think it's something I could enjoy learning how to do. Should I take a class, is there a great book to learn from? What's your advice? Thanks.

There are quite a lot of good books out there to be had to learn jewelry making, but the first step is deciding what Kind of jewelry.  I do not do seed bead work, preferring wire wrap and larger bead stringing.  I use http://www.firemountaingems.com/ (nayy)and ebay for supplies.  Fire Mountain has a lot of very easy to follow directions/lessons on their site, and sells some awesome books for various styles of jewelry making.

Hope this helps.

Namaste and Bright Blessings,
Shadowe

Zalin

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 05:16:56 PM »
Shadowe, I do get Fire Mountain's catalog sometimes. I love looking at all the stones and gems. I don't even remember how I started to receive the catalog. I must have been looking for something at some time. I didn't know they had some instructions on their website. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the suggestion.  :)

Offline andib

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 12:07:04 AM »
I would check out your local library, find a technique that intrigues you and go for it!

Offline crashnquilt

• Webshots Of Quilts
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 01:30:09 PM »
I like off loom bead weaving.  So far I've been using size 11o czech seed beads and Toho Treasures.  I enjoy doing it at night in front of the TV.  It helps to keep my fingers limber.  I would like to do loom weaving but just haven't jumped the gun yet.  I really wish there was more information regarding beading threads, threads sizes, and beads to use with them.

It is lots of fun and very rewarding.  I would like to find a really good book on off loom and loom weaving.  I've tried our local library but not much help there.  Also wish we had more bead shops in our area. 

As I was surfing the web I did find BEADPOINT which looks extremely interesting.  Hmmmm, just might have to give that a try as well.

Offline Rubyglare

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 12:08:25 AM »
I have made bracelets, earrings, & currently I'm using vintage moonglow beads in beaded rings. You can see 2 at my blog http://rubyfiregoldmagik.blogspot.com   Zalin you might find some videos on Youtube.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 12:10:30 AM by Rubyglare »

Offline annenet

• Lighthouse fanatic and avid climber
    • Sewingtechie blog
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 04:28:33 PM »
This topic intrigues me - I've always wanted to do jewelry making but I guess that's one more hobby I don't currently have time for. Hope to soon!
Too many ideas, not enough time.

http://sewingtechie.blogspot.com/

Offline grandrivergirl

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2010, 03:24:51 PM »
I picked up a beading book yesterday for my husband to put in my Christmas stocking.  Now i just have to look surprised when I open it.
I have another book, "Wire and Bead Celtic Jewelry" that I intend to get working on when I find the correct type of wires.  I am also interested in making jewelry from unusual sources such as nuts and bolts from a hardware store.
I just retired from my banking job in November so maybe I can really do some of these things now.

Offline Lynerwi

• Jill of Many Crafts--Master of None
  • My inspiration
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2010, 05:11:36 PM »
FYI, if you have a local gemstone or silver supply shop, the folks that work there are a wealth of information...I find that most of them are more than happy to answer questions, or even offer one day classes. Aslo, you could look up bead importers as a source of semi-precious gemstones (my personal favorite medium).

Dangerous when bored

Zalin

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2010, 07:27:44 PM »
 Lynerwi, I think that there is a shop not too far from here that I am going to visit this week (hope they are open). They have a great website and they do say they will answer all questions.

And I did take the plunge. I purchased a book, spent hours (literally) looking at beads and wires and bought some stuff. Realized I bought a crimper that was too large, took it back, bought the correct one and some more stuff. Made two necklaces as gifts for my guinea pigs  DD and DIL and can't wait to go again!

My tips for newbies:
-Get a tray to lay out your design. I thought I could get away with a mat or something like a towel, but the beads kept moving, I couldn't get them to line up to see the length properly. I paid about $5 for the tray and saved myself a huge headache.

-Get the correct sized crimper. Bigger isn't necessarily better. Ask me how I know.  :laugh:

-Know that just because you go to the store with a plan, you need to be flexible because the store will not have exactly what you want. That's what took hours. I actually came away with a huge headache from this because I kept having to change my plan. I hope to get better at this.

-If you are not accustomed to working with metric measurements, figure it out before you go shopping. Have a metric ruler handy. Those darn beads are all measured in mm. :) It's a good learning experience and it only took me this once. I'm pretty comfortable with it now.

**The things that I am still confused about are the wire measurements and the different types of wires. What I purchased worked out, but I don't know if I just got lucky or if it's not really that confusing. IE., crimper must match crimping tubes must match wire. Any words of wisdom on this?

Most importantly, it was fun! I like that there's a lot more to learn.

Offline Karendee

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2010, 12:12:46 AM »
Libraries also have great beading resources. I would also suggest using sterling and 14K gold findings. Inexpensive gemstone beads usually make much better looking jewelry than plastic or even glass beads (unless they are unusual or handblown.) Use a wire for stringing heavier stones that contain at least 7 inner strands. String pearls with silk threads with a knot between each pearl to protect the strand. For great ideas, look at RTW or handmade jewelry sites then you can look up the techniques used. I separate my beads into those small plastic hobby boxes (found on sale at Hobby Lobby for $1.00 each. ) These are both easy to label and stack.

Like sewing or knitting, you can use cheap  beading products and get a cheap final product. If you buy quality stones and materials , this will be another expensive hobby that is so rewarding!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Karen

Offline moushka

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2010, 06:47:50 AM »
I've made quite a bit of jewellery over the past four years.  I was inspired by Bead & Button and Beadwork magazines.  If you are at all interested in wirework and like bold styles, Sharilyn Miller's books and dvd's are outstanding.  She also has a Yahoo group named after her best-selling book "Bead on a Wire."  Good tools really make a difference.  I love Wubbers and they are reasonably priced (Sharilyn also endorses them).  I use sterling silver and gold filled findings exclusively and adore Swarovski crystals. Artbeads.com is another great internet store. Superb service and great sales.  I also get lots of inspiration from Pearl at www.beadinggem.com and her daily blog.  Earrings are a quick, easy, and usually a much appreciated gift.  I've even sold a few pieces but am not into production work.  Best of luck!  It's a fun hobby.

Zalin

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2010, 01:29:42 PM »
Moushka, I actually have "Bead on a Wire" on my list of books to look at. I think wire work is what I would like to try next. I'm going to ask the recipients of my efforts, but I think that's the style they like. I really appreciate all the info on the internet sources. I'm going to check them all out. :)

Offline Carolyn

• Carolyn's Sewing Room
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2011, 04:53:34 PM »
I just completed my first bracelet using the peyote stitch in bead stitching and loved it.  It was a beginnier project from a book and was basically a sampler to learn how to read patterns.  Next, I'm on to learn diagonal peyote and making a necklace for my DD for her birthday.

I really enjoy doing this.  So much so, it cut in to my sewing time!  I'm not really interested in wire work, and stringing beads was just boring.  However, I love bead stitching.
Carolyn

"If God had intended for us to stay one waist size, he wouldn't have invented elastic"...  Christee Gabour Atwood

Blog:  http://carolynobryan.blogspot.com/

Offline vtmartha

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2011, 05:07:21 PM »
I recently began following the blog Moushka recommended.  There was a post on working with precious metal clay.  Have any of you done that before?  A local knitting shop gave a workshop on the process several months ago but I wasn't feeling very creative and let it pass.  The idea was to make buttons, which I actually need more than jewelry.  The blog post referred to a new type of clay with can be fired with a torch rather than a kiln, making the process more accessible to all.  I really like the looks of the pendant she made and where do I find nice wires such as she uses to display it?

Offline Loomchick

• More about me
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2011, 05:54:49 PM »
IHave any of you done that before? 

Precious metal clay?  Yep, I've done it and seriously doubt I will ever do it again.  First, it's rather expensive IMHO.  Second, I didn't enjoy the experience in working with PMC.  (Note: My experience is over five years old and there may have been some changes/improvements in the products available).

In my first class, after we paid a sizable materials fee, we got some product.  One packet was about the size of a fat postage stamp.  I wanted to see what it looked like and started to open the packet.  I was told to hold off until I was ready to work with it because once I opened the packet I would have about 20 minutes to work with it.  Yowza!  I didn't like that kind of pressure, especially when learning something new.  I like the latitude to 'futz' with things when I'm learning and PMC was not one of those products. Because I didn't know what I wanted to do with it and had just spent quite a bit of money for the materials, I spent the rest of class watching and learning (most of the class did the same thing).  I think part of being turned off to working with PMC at that time was that I didn't care for the instructor very much.  The class was too short and she didn't seem to understand the reluctance for many of us.  She put a lot of pressure on us and I never felt confident about working with PMC.

I did another PMC class in an attempt to use the PMC I purchased with my materials fee in the first class.  The instructor was fairly new to teaching PMC, but she was a kinder and gentler instructor.  I made a small pendant that I wasn't very happy with . . . but, at least I made something.  This instructor explained the differences between the different products available . . . not all of them limit you to 20 minutes . . . but, you still need to work quickly and without interruption.  She also explained that firiing in a kiln is far better because using a torch can give inconsistent results.

After the second class, I decided PMC was definitely not for me . . . however, I do appreciate what others create much more after my experience.  Sometimes learning that something is NOT for you can be very powerful.

On a related note . . . I will be teaching two jewelry-related classes at SewExpo in March.  One is a one needle class (45 minutes) titled Jewelry from your Yarn and Fabric Stash.  The other is a hands-on three needle (2 1/2 hours) titled Jewelry Making for Fiber Enthusiasts.  I hope anyone that is planning to go will consider signing up.  What I'm teaching is fun and easy and shows how using a few simple jewelry-making tools can transform leftover materials into jewelry to wear and/or sell.
Robyn

"Your attitude about who you are and what you have is a very little thing that makes a very big difference."  -  Theodore Roosevelt

Offline vtmartha

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2011, 09:58:03 PM »
I can totally sympathize, Robyn.  I remember how expensive the course materials were going to be and decided that there would be too much pressure to produce.  But I do like the things that others have made with it.  Thanks for sharing your story!

Offline Laura78

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2011, 04:44:37 PM »
I have not been putting much effort into beadwork, but I am into jewelry making!
I have actually been working as a watchmaker for quite some time now.
Nothing major, but I am inspired by a lot of stuff out there. When it comes to watches I especially like the classic IWC watches and pretty much everything Rolex ever did,
but I also get my inspiration from cheaper, simple Jewelry that I for instance often find on flea markets or yard sales here in Germany.
You just have to keep your eyes open and you will find so many inspiring, beautiful things out there!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 03:05:00 PM by Laura78 »

Offline LexiBealey

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2011, 10:30:49 PM »
Anyone else into beadwork and/or jewelry making ?
I am making a seedbeads belt for my daughter. And I just started a necklace sort of like one the Smithsonian online shop has.
I have actually made a lot of things out of recycleable materials.  I've actually made religious jewelry out of scrap wood.  With rubber bands and can tabs, I have made some jewelery that has really gained me a lot of compliments.  I have also weaved handbags out of plastic grocery bags.  They're both really cute.  I like making jewelery and things from other people's trash.  It's satisfying.

edited by fzxdoc of SG admin team to comply with SG's no advertising policy.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 09:58:14 PM by LexiBealey »

Offline chek101

« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2012, 05:56:02 AM »
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 03:38:36 AM by chek101 »

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2012, 09:11:06 AM »
My gosh, how beautiful, Pat! You do such intricate work. How long did it take to bead a photo like that? Is it 8x10? Where is it now--did you gift it to your son and DIL?

Kathryn

Offline annenet

• Lighthouse fanatic and avid climber
    • Sewingtechie blog
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2012, 02:55:47 PM »
Absolutely beautiful! What a great job!
Too many ideas, not enough time.

http://sewingtechie.blogspot.com/

Offline chek101

« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2012, 03:03:28 PM »
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 03:39:13 AM by chek101 »

Offline chek101

« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2012, 03:15:16 PM »
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 03:39:33 AM by chek101 »

Offline Fidelia

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2012, 09:28:41 AM »
Today I taught myself to loom bead!  Here is the start of my first project:

The technique is embarrassingly easy.  What I really want to do is create larger pieces and make blingy evening bags.
'If you adore her, you must adorn her; it's the secret of a successful marriage!'. (Anne Fogarty)

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2012, 10:42:50 AM »
Very kewl, Fidelia. That method looks like fun. What are the dimensions of your loom?

Kathryn

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics