Author Topic: Ahem. Uh,,, anyone else into cars??  (Read 8929 times)

Offline LindaF

• My Knitting Notebook
Re: Ahem. Uh,,, anyone else into cars??
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2008, 01:31:12 PM »

I had to clear up that misconception right away.  Camaros are NOT beginner cars.  :-X

Cute story!

My first car was a 1967 Pontiac Firebird that I bought in 1977.  It had a 8 barrel carburetor, cherry mufflers and big tires (I cant' remember the names of them right now), sweet rims and an 8 cylinder engine.  It was standard. Oh I loved that car.

You are right, Camaros are not beginner cars. But what fun! It would hug the curves and go real fast!!! Not that I experienced that, I was told a lot.  But the boy the looks I would get to see a "girl" driving that thing.  My ex, who was my boyfriend at the time, told me that if anybody asked for anything on the car that I was to tell to talk to him.  I was so naive to what I had.  Sure enough, one by one, my other guy friends would come to me and ask me things like "I'll trade you your 8 barrel for my 4 barrel."  When I told them they would have to check with my ex, they would just go "oh" and walk away looking all dejected.  By the third time this happened, I realized what my ex already knew.

Last year we took our car for repair and in the parking lot was a Firebird for sale.  I went into the lobby all excited, asking the guy there all sorts of questions.  He had the oddest look on his face. My DH had no interest at all.  It was when I told the guy that car was my first car that it clicked.  But, sheesh, when are they going to stop stereotyping!

My two oldest boys favorite thing about their Mom is my first car.  You are definitely setting up a legacy of cool Mom status now. 

Oh, and don't think that somewhere in the back of your son's mind is the thought that someday that car will be his!
Linda
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 01:32:43 PM by LindaF »
New granddaughter! - Ava Leigh at 7 months featured in my profile pic
My Knitting Notebook - My Knitting Blog
LMF Designs - StitchnCount applications for Blackberry and Apple

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
  • The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
    • Your Button Shop
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2008, 03:07:05 PM »
My two oldest boys favorite thing about their Mom is my first car.  You are definitely setting up a legacy of cool Mom status now.

I'm only just now realizing that.  I had never given a thought to what the kids thought of my car 'till Scorch started needing repairs.  When I started looking for another one, I guess they figured I'd buy a practical little wagon or something because that's what "Mom" is supposed to do.  When I drove in with another Camaro, they went bonkers!  Two of them!  Red and blue and twins! 

And yeah, I'm beginning to realize that DD and DS both are secretly convinced the cars will be theirs in time.   >:(
Looking for the perfect button?  I may have one in my Etsy shop:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/RoadsideAttractions

Offline lillystitch

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2008, 08:00:27 AM »
I am also into cars.
I am a big fan of tuners.
one's creativity can generate unique gift ideas

Offline PixieCutLover

« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2013, 01:15:11 PM »
Not exactly cars in the strict sense, I like tinkering with vehicles though I'm currently working on a ford van that I plan on making into a pickup truck I have a pickup bed that I'm going to weld to the back after I cut the van body off. I like forward control trucks,  the look,  the use of space. I also have a three wheeled golf cart that I'm flipping around and putting a cab on. I plan to make metal wheels for it as well because pneumatic tires will not survive the desert.

Offline KrisisOD

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2013, 12:56:19 AM »
I'm a bit of a Mopar fanatic... new, old... all of it. (Although I prefer Ford trucks.)

When my husband passed I bought my dream car, and she's my Sunday driver... garage kept, and comes out for special occasions and the like.

I also drive a Neon srt4. :) That's my daily.

I also happen to have a Mopar tattoo on the back of my neck. It was still healing in this picture.

Here's my charger: http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/Iamsquishy1n2/Laura/DSC_0728_zpse6f86021.jpg

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2013, 02:54:44 PM »
I'm not going to bother sharing that photo with my husband.  He's a huge gear head and while his passion is hot rods, he does appreciate a nice muscle car.  His favorite color is blue.  That's why he doesn't need to see your blue charger.

It's a very nice looking car. 

I'm not really into cars, but I do kind of like Novas.  My dad had one when I was a teenager and I loved it.  I loved driving it and as soon as I got my license, he let me drive it all the time.  I think he just got lazy and didn't want to run errands any more, so I had the Nova to use for a while.  It will always have a place in my heart. 
Laurie H

http://my.inbox.com/photos/missjean/index.aspx   password is 'photos'

Offline KrisisOD

« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2013, 03:16:02 PM »
:) I think everyone has a certain type of car they're partial to. My dad was in the army and had a GTX, he still fondly talks about that car, wishing he had never sold it. I looked at a GTX before I bought my charger (in panther pink.), but found that it was not as cleanly restored, and wouldn't retain value, as none of it was numbers matching.

The guy couldn't tell me the original color of the car, he stated that it had already been primed when he got it, but if the fender tag is authentic it would have that in the numbers... it bothered me that he put a lot of money into restoring a car when he couldn't even tell me anything about the original stats. I didn't bother checking, after he started it and it got stuck in reverse when he was shifting through gears. He said it was a small adjustment, which I'm sure it had to do with spacing, but it made me nervous about the whole deal. Then I came across my charger. I don't regret buying her at all. Even on the most angry times I can go out there and just look at her. (Out there being my garage.) Even without sitting in her, she still calms me down.

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2013, 04:31:57 PM »
While I don't feel that way about cars at all, I know DH does.  He just walks into his garage and his garage is bigger than our house and we have a 2-story house.  He built his garage big enough that he can drive his skidder or his dump truck into one side to work on out of the elements and the other side holds his hot rod and his motorcycle.  It's also a 2-story building.  That's his "man-cave" and while it doesn't have all the fancy stuff you might think of, it does have loads of tools, a radio and best of all......a working 8-track player!!!   Bet you're really jealous now, huh!   ;D
Laurie H

Offline KrisisOD

« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2013, 04:35:16 PM »
Haha! I don't know about the 8 tracks, but my dad has quite the collection. His old hunting rig had an 8 track in it. We used to listen to a lot of elvis on it. :)

I am very jealous of the building. I wish I had more indoor (car related) storage at my house.

Offline lydia

« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2013, 11:14:57 PM »
Somewhere in this post, vtmartha spoke of always wanting an Sunbeam Alpine.  My DH raced a little red one in SCCA meets (Sports Car Club of America).  The reason for the Alpine??  He wanted to race and found one for $100.., I think.  Been too long to remember all the details.  At first I was absolutely 100% for the sport, but talk about a money pit...Our life revolved around tearing the engine down, remaking some doo dad - I won't bore you w/details.  I drove it once -  At the time we were "racing", I drove a 1966 Buick Skylark GS convertible w/a three speed transmission.  Special ordered the little beauty and 2500 were made in this style. Those were the days............Lydia  As an aside:  That was the early spring and summer I made eleven attendant's dresses for two weddings (5 for the spring one and 6 for late summer).  DS was a junior groomsman for first and DD was a flower girl for the second. May I add:  I hate making duplicates!  >:(   
"I'll cross that bridge when I get to it."

Online karent

• One shoe can change your life - Cinderella
    • ACorgiHouse
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2013, 11:52:46 PM »
In college, I dated somebody for a while that was way into American muscle machines.  We went through his series of cars, and I learned a lot about them by hanging out in the garage with he and his buddies.  They all pulled their cars together, popped the hoods, and we "girls" sat and drank beer and listened to them talk about their machines. 

I never got the bug for American cars, but a few years ago I found the vehicle I'd had in my mind's eye for a decade or so.  A little Jag XKR convertible, 2000 (she was 10 years old when I found her) with less than 30K miles.  She had spent most of her life in a garage, so the hoses were dry rotted, and the tires were pretty much bald (I suspect the dealer had swapped out for the tires on another vehicle.)  Body and interior in mint condition. I bought her for a song, as the dealership was closing and they were going to have to take her to the auction and accept what they could get.  I found her new tires, new hoses, and new brake calipers (gulp, I think an effect of icky hoses over time.)  Living in Virginia, she spent the winters in my garage, only coming out on sunny, non-icy days.  Now in Florida, we go everywhere together.  I feel like a female James Bond when I drive her, and I understand how people become attached to their cars.  I keep my sedate Toyota SUV for trips to Home Depot, but this little lady and I will be driving around together forever.   ;D  K

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2013, 10:26:24 PM »
Kris, I gave in and showed DH your charger.  He was impressed with the look of the engine, especially the aluminum radiator.  He was wondering what the engine was.  He said he couldn't tell what it was from the photo.    He said he has a gas cap exactly like that that was on his hot rod at one time. 

Laurie H

Offline Houdini

• Beautiful New Mexico
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2013, 11:53:52 PM »
Here's a picture of the '60 Pontiac Catalina that my husband and I are building. I'm working on the upholstery now. Otherwise it's just about ready to run. We plan to drag race it. My husband customized it quite a bit. He did all the work himself including body work and paint. I'm excited about doing my part. I'll post a picture soon of the work on the seats. I'm using a Sailrite LZ1 sewing machine and it's performing like a champ.

Ellen

Offline KrisisOD

« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2013, 12:45:46 AM »
Kris, I gave in and showed DH your charger.  He was impressed with the look of the engine, especially the aluminum radiator.  He was wondering what the engine was.  He said he couldn't tell what it was from the photo.    He said he has a gas cap exactly like that that was on his hot rod at one time. 

383 bored 30 over. :)

Offline lydia

« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2013, 09:14:19 PM »
If any of you are interested.....the James Dean Festival, located in Fairmont, IN takes place 9-27--9-29, 2013.
Cars from all over the country are displayed and cruising is the norm.  Haven't attended for a few years, but sure brings back old memories.  Last year DH took DS and DGS - they had far more fun without me.  There is a spin-off of the festival the same weekend at Gas City, IN.  Something about hard feelings w/core group.  Anyway, I digress-----if you are interested in classics this is the place to be.  Rarely is a foreign car displayed.  James Dean drove a Mercury in the movie "Rebel Without a Cause" - first date.  Folks didn't know I saw the movie!  Google James Dean and there is a myriad of information to be had..................Lydia
"I'll cross that bridge when I get to it."

Offline Pina

« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2014, 04:57:48 AM »
Farm car pictures,please scroll down. When you live on a farm you learn to "make do" with whatever you find in the barn !

This is the exact and perfect example of why we save everything !  ;D  This car has been built with all of the "junk" laying out back in the pile,and under the work bench,and stuffed in the rafters.

I like the New Home treadle stand come New Home treadle stand rear seat backs !   :grinning:

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics