Author Topic: What's a good price for a Babylock Imagine Serger?  (Read 42957 times)

Offline Janis

• My Blog
What's a good price for a Babylock Imagine Serger?
« on: March 09, 2009, 04:00:22 PM »
I'm giving up on my clunky Janome Compulock.  I spend an hour fixing the tension every time I change fabric (it never really comes out right).  And it's suppose to be automatic.  I tried the Imagine yesterday and fell in love.  You can go from one type of fabric to something completely different, and the stitch comes out beautiful.

The Imagine is on sale at the shop I went to for about 1500.00.  That includes a three year warranty that covers parts and labor (including new blades), and unlimited, lifetime classes.  They will take my Compulock for $450.00 on a trade-in.  That's more than I paid for it.

Does this sound right, or do I need to negotiate more?  I just hate the nebulous pricing system for sewing machines and sergers.  Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Janis
"This is emphatically not a quick project, just savour the process..."  Ann Rowley

My Blog
http://janssewingroom.wordpress.com

Offline bern

Re: What's a good price for a Babylock Imagine Serger?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 05:15:43 PM »
That sounds like an excellent price to me.  I have the Imagine and love it.  If I remember correctly I paid about $1200 for mine, but it had been gently "used" and traded up by the previous owner. 

Offline kaaren

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 05:34:38 PM »
Janis, it seems high.   I LOVE my Evolve, should have purchased the Imagine and a separate Babylock Coverstitch. Find out from locals who have used that dealer. One local dealer says  free classes but it is a mix of sergers. You will spend a lot of time waiting for the non Babylock owners  to rethread and adjust tension.  You want only classes for Babylock owners!  I have had mine more than 5 years, blade is still great (but I don't use a lot of poly or metallic fibers), I keep it clean, and vacuumed and no problems at all.  The manual is great.  Did you see the prices at Puyallup?  In 4 days, I never made it into the machine building.   But friends did buy.  I notice that as times get even tougher, there are some good buys on used machines.  But if that is really your only dealer, then y ou will never regret buying a Babylock.  Kaaren

Offline Janis

• My Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 06:48:02 PM »
Bern and Kaaren, thanks for the responses.  Kaaren, I didn't get to see any Imagines at the expo.  I don't know why...I did look.  I thought the price might be high.  I think the regular price is 1649.  Then they have a sale of about 9% off,  and they include the warranty.  I'm not sure I know how to negotiate, except to try to get more for my trade-in :-\  There is another Babylock shop close by.  I guess I need to compare prices so I have my ducks in order when I go back to the dealer.

Janis
"This is emphatically not a quick project, just savour the process..."  Ann Rowley

My Blog

Offline corinne kelly

• Corinne
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 06:50:52 PM »
I think that this is a good price-I paid about $1200. US four or five years ago. And this was without tuneups etc.  Do ask for the extra feet package to be thrown in.  This is one of the promotions listed on the Babylock site.  I would print it and ask with a big smile. I have never been sorry about this purchase and would buy one again if there were a catastrophe or something (God forbid)!  Go for it !

Offline Janis

• My Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 07:13:38 PM »
Thanks for that info, Corinne.  I'm off to check out the Babylock site.

Janis

My Blog

Offline Karen Roth

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 07:43:04 PM »
Is it 1500 minus the 450?  If so I think that's a great price, esp. w/the warranty.  I know prices can vary by dealer/area, worked for Babylock dealer here and it's better than our best sale price!
Karen

Offline corinne kelly

• Corinne
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 07:45:45 PM »
http://www.babylock.com/emailnewsletter/090306/
You are welcome-this is the link for a newsletter with the promotion that you can copy.  It is hard to find on the site except for that aggravating slide show on the home page that won't let you copy........

Offline jannie

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 08:06:24 PM »
Hi, it seems a bit high to me too unless it is the $1500 minus the $450 for a price of $1050.  The 6 feet is a new promotion now so definitely get them.  If you have other dealers check their prices.  On the site I think they only give you dealers within 50 miles but if you know zip codes you can find them.

Janet

Offline Janis

• My Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 08:17:23 PM »
Movinon and Janet,

Yes, 1050.00 would be the price.  I looked on PR and it looks like a new one goes for 1200.00 to 1600.00.  That's probably depending on whether or not the person got it on sale. So, with the extra feet and the warranty, it's starting to sound like a good price.  Thanks for your input.

Corinne, thanks so much for the link.  I went over to Babylock and couldn't figure out how to print the slide show, lol.

Janis

My Blog

Offline corinne kelly

• Corinne
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 08:31:48 PM »
Janis-
Run, don't walk for that price :o  Take advantage of the bad economy and do your part to help it out >:D

Offline Janis

• My Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 08:32:11 PM »
Well, I finally got the Imagine ;D  I had to get it before the first of April to get the sale price.  So I called yesterday, and they gave me a price that was about 300.00 higher than the one they gave me before.  I was really bummed!  So, I took my trade-in with me today, but left it in the car.  I told the salesman (the same one that helped me before), that the last time the price was different, and I told him what it was.  He said, "okay".  Then we went to my car to get the trade-in and I told him that he told me he would give me 450.00 for the trade-in.  He said, "okay".  So, I got my machine for 1,098.00 with the trade-in.  That price includes the extra feet, the gold warranty, and lessons.  I am a happy camper :run:

I just thought that some of you who are considering an Imagine, or any machine in general, would like to know how I got mine.  It's all such a mysterious game :P

Janis

ETA:  This purchase really was all in the interest of stimulating the economy >:D
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 08:36:16 PM by Janis »

My Blog

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 10:27:36 PM »
Glad you got your serger and with such a deal!  It is indeed a mysterious process. ::) 

I'm so glad you're doing what you can for the economy as well! ;D We're all trying, I think.  >:D

Offline corinne kelly

• Corinne
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 11:41:44 PM »
Congrats!
So glad that you were able to wheel and deal- it is a daunting, heart-thumping process--but I do think that the dealers expect it.
I'm sure that you are off serging something up-have fun ;D

Offline Robin

• a little sewing blog
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2009, 12:32:08 AM »
congratulations Janis!  You got a great deal on a great machine.  I love mine.

Offline Karen Roth

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2009, 01:09:26 AM »
That is a great price Janis, you will love it.   I am sure I am not alone in completely understanding that the purchase was a purely altruistic move for the benefit of the economy.  Hmmm, maybe I can double justify some purchases with a double purpose, stimulate the economy and do it before April 1 to show the state of California legislators that they are NOT going to get an extra cent of sales tax out of me. 
Karen

Offline Janis

• My Blog
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2009, 04:01:25 AM »
That is a great price Janis, you will love it.   I am sure I am not alone in completely understanding that the purchase was a purely altruistic move for the benefit of the economy.  Hmmm, maybe I can double justify some purchases with a double purpose, stimulate the economy and do it before April 1 to show the state of California legislators that they are NOT going to get an extra cent of sales tax out of me. 

??? Is there more sales tax after April 1???  I would hate to be living in CA right now.  Although DH and I are considering it because ds is there and we would love to be closer to him..

My Blog

Offline Karen Roth

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2009, 02:34:59 PM »
Yes, I'm sure there's got to be a tie in to the fact that we're all April fools here believing it is just a temporary increase as purported.  It's to assist in righting the economic wrongs that plague the state right now. I used to be embarrased to live where I do when tv shows like Laguna Beach and Real Housewives of OC came on, now I think people just get a chuckle in general about how the state has been managed.  I just don't get how it can be thought (or perhaps they do realize it) that increasing sales tax is NOT going to achieve the intended goal.  The day this came out we sat around the table at lunch discussing what we could buy elsewhere, preferring to pay shipping entities than taxes to make our point.   People are incentivized to cut back or find out of state sources - look where we find fabric these days!  This is the weekend to stock up on things we wouldn't typically order elsewhere, like TP, cleaning goods, etc., taxable items you wouldn't mail/online order before they go up in tax price.  To get it back to sewing, of course our hobby industry has felt the effects of these times like any other, the hours at the dealership I loved working at to supplement my regular job were cut way back - I essentially lost both jobs the same month.  This isn't going to help.   So if you decide to move in, buy your cars, your machines, whatever big tax items you're thinking of that you wouldn't want to purchase long distance where you are before you load up the moving van!!!
Karen

Offline hungryzombiecouture

• Hungry Zombie Couture
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2009, 02:57:31 PM »
Ooo, Janis you lucky duck!  I have been coveting a BL Imagine for years now.  I just said to my hubby last week that I really should check out the prices now to see if the lousy economy has lowered them.  I think you have inspired me to actually get up off my duff and get down to the nearest dealer!

Offline Janis

• My Blog
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2009, 03:55:33 AM »
I used my baby for the first time today and I am a total convert.  I feel like I can make true ready-to-wear looking garments with this machine.  I didn't feel that way with my old machine.  I love, love, love it!  And it is soooo user friendly - hardly any adjustments to make at all.  It is truly awesome ;D

Janis

My Blog

Offline Robin

• a little sewing blog
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2009, 11:59:08 AM »
I have been so pleased with my Imagine, too.  Like you say, there is no need to adjust tension when using different weights of fabric.
I always do a little test seam, and the stitch quality is beautiful.
I love the coverhem, too.  I can make a t-shirt (from cutting to wearing) in 90 minutes.
That is a big deal for me because RTW garments do not fit me in the shoulders.

It is nice to have a machine you can count on.

Offline Debra Lynn

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2010, 03:14:06 AM »
   Just seen the Baby Lock Imagine and I really want one...
I do not use a serger much at all. I would love to get one.. Anyone know where to get one at a reasonable price?

Thanks from Debra
DLRB@charter.net
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 03:16:33 AM by Debra Lynn »

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics Your Button Shop